Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
It's the kind of stuff that shouldn't bother you, but it does. The little things that get under your skin like nothing else. Things that set you right off.

Since screaming at people in public isn't how you vent in a healthy way, post your personal Pet Peeves here!

This thread is made with mod blessing, provided it doesn't become a general mock thread:

Dr Snofeld posted:

We've had variations on this thread before without major mishap. I'm going to say go ahead and make it, on the condition that people note that "bronies" for instance is not a pet peeve and it doesn't go all mock thread on us.

Please keep this in mind, and also steer away from one-upmanship, meta arguments and other thread killing bullshit.

I'll open the floor:

-People stopping in front of me when walking, blocking stairways/escalators/doorways, or walking so wide and slow that they take up the entire path, so nobody can get around. Doubly so if it makes me miss my train/bus/light/whatever.

-You get to an intersection. The other guy has the right of way, and just sits there. You play "you go, no, you go!". Figuring you'll be there all day if you don't go first, you start, and that very same millisecond, the other guy does. Commit to it if you start! Just loving go!

-Waiting forever for a bus, 3 come at once, and you happen to get on the one which is ahead of schedule, so the driver drives way below the limit and deliberately hits every red, as the others breeze past you

-When you say something, and the person you're talking to interrupts you to ask what you were just answering:

:geno:"So I paid fif-"
:byodood: "HOW much?"
:geno: "Fifty bucks."

-People who can't answer yes or no questions, including answering obviously yes or no questions with some rambling non-answer.

-Being asked the same question in a slightly different way, in the hopes that I'll give the answer the asker wants if they ask enough and arrange it a certain way. Kind of like alchemy with words.

-When you're obviously busy, and another person tries to interrupt with something unimportant, and just won't take the hint, and there's no way you can get it across without being rude.

-Multiple people talking to me at the same time, in person, and all parties expecting immediate and full attention/ adults not understand the concept of waiting your turn.

-This is going to sound really goony, but parents who let their kids scream in public transit, restaurants and stores without doing anything about it/encouraging it. Whatever happened to inside voice/outside voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

MrSmokes posted:

I work in a hotel and can't stand it when people call to ask how to get to the hotel from wherever the gently caress they're at. I dunno how people manage to find our phone number without also finding our address. It's 2013, use your smartphone or computer to get directions so I don't have to spend forever explaining and repeating poo poo over the phone because you don't listen. Bonus points if they're already on their way here and call to ask where we are. What kind of dumbass starts heading for their destination without getting directions first?

On a similar note, I hate it when companies have big, flashy websites with flash, background music, radio buttons that open menus that you have to navigate with surgical precision so they don't close and all that crap- but it's impossible to find the hours and address.

Seriously, and especially if you don't offer online shopping or are a restaurant of all things, why would you hide the most important information? I type hours into the provided search bar, and all I get are a testimonials that have the word hours in them. I give up and Google it, and I get 3 different results. After finding it buried somewhere, I'm seriously disinclined to want to go to that place if I have other options, and besides, they really must not want money, because I'm trying to give it to them but they won't even tell me where or when.

That, and I hate being hard sold or upsold on stuff. No, I don't want an banana, day old wedge sandwich or two king size chocolate bars for $4 with my can of Coke Zero. No, I don't want a 5-year extended warranty on this $15 item. Yes, I'm sure that I want what I just ordered.

I also hate it when you go into a store and the prices on everything are hidden, and the instant you so much as stop to look at something, you get pounced on by an associate. I realize that it usually isn't the employee's fault, but it's goddamn annoying. It's a coat, I don't need help trying it on, and I'll tell you if I want it or not. I just want to know how much it is!

The big one for me though- charity muggers. Bonus if they follow you, touch you, or make a snippy comment when you don't stop. I don't know who exactly will listen to someone in a Day-Glo vest who stops them on the street, then listens to a pitch and decides that right then and there that it is the perfect time and place to give that person your banking information. I will never donate to charities that engage in this practice, and the one I do already support that does it, every year I write them and ask them to discontinue the practice. I do not want my money going into supporting this scummy and almost universally annoying tactic.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
I'll add two kinds of people: The Dawdler and Paparazzi.

You're trying to be somewhere where it's essential that you get there on time, like a movie without reserved seating, or a game and you want to see everything from the national anthem onward. Dawdler, however, always holds you up, despite swearing up and down that this time, they'll be on time. Sometimes, their problem starts at home- there's the dad-style, puttering dawdler that has to circle check their car, make sure there's no cracks along the foundations of the house, make sure that temperature and humidity levels are optimal, and check all points of entry, egress and ventilation so that nobody can get in 3 times before leaving. There's that pack rat style dawdler who absolutely needs their tote bag with their iPhone, iPad, charger for each, extra charger just in case, keys, wallet, extra wallet with rewards cards for every store on the planet, watch, jacket, hoodie, flip flops, granola bars, gum, water bottle, coffee mug, sunscreen, moisturizer, makeup, camera, reusable grocery bag, utility knife, sleeping bag, tent, road flares, kitchen sink, flux capacitor and so on. Bonus points for them having so much crap that they can't find any of it. There's also the kind of dawdler that has to stop 5 times along the way from Point A to Point B- need to go to the bathroom, need to drop this off, need to get something quick (and it's never quick to eat)- all the stuff that should have been done beforehand.

Then there's the paparazzi. Before the social media revolution, they were mainly well-meaning moms and aunts in muumuus and Precious Moments sweatshirts armed with LL Bean tote bags with 5 disposable cameras in them, who would line everybody up, take a picture, take another to "make sure it worked", then have each person step out and take two picture of everybody else until everybody had been rotated out or your great uncle would sit down and refuse to pose for another picture. Now with Facebook, Twitter, imgur and Instagram, there are people that have to take pictures of everything. The paparazzi has no sense of timing or appropriate interaction: "Hold up, the food looks so good, I want to take a picture of everybody's before you start!" Yeah, and I'd sort of like to eat it before it gets cold whole you tag everybody and everything between pictures. They're also too busy taking pictures of everything to enjoy anything. They have taken "pics or it didn't happen!" beyond the internet and way too far into real life. I can understand wanting a picture for memories- but one group shot and a few individual shots and pictures of the event/venue is enough.

I lied- one more: the whole "tee hee, I'm too cute to make a decision/ 'scool, I'm too laid-back to make a decision" thing. Good god, I can understand deferring a decision, but there is nothing cute or chill about never giving a direct answer to "what do you want to do", especially if you're going to make passive aggressive hints or mope after a decision has been made.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I'm annoyed by people who go on and on after I said "I got it", adding no new information whatsoever.

This. I'll also extrapolate it to babblers who can't get to the point.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
I've noticed this one a lot lately: The idea that if you're not obese, you're somehow not a "real" person. You see it in like any online article or ad about clothing: "Lol, these clothes aren't made for REAL people, just twigs who spend all day in the gym! We need real people sizes!". "Why are you only making this in kids' sizes?" "No real/man women could wear this, it's just for anorexic preppy/hipster/gym rat trash!"

For guys, the charge of "manorexic hipster" gets thrown around a lot, almost as much as homophobic slurs.

It's even worse for women. "You look like a prepubescent boy", "My curves beat your bones", and the insinuation that anyone with a BMI of less than 25 lives off of cocaine and Crystal Light.

Also, what these people consider "anorexic" and "too skinny" is actually normal by both BMI and any other metric; people with perfectly healthy weights.

Hell, I'm a guy 5'10" and 140lbs, and when I posted on a clothing retailer's clothing Facebook page complaining that they no longer offer pants with long enough inseams for smaller waist sizes, like 3 people took the time to say "eat more". All I want is to be able to buy pants that cover my ankles without breaking the bank :sigh:.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

Also, now that I mentioned my grandma - people who complain about something in their lives and do nothing to fix it or make it better. Or they turn into a whiny, complaining jerkwad when someone suggests how they could fix something they're unhappy about. If you're not going to do anything about things that bother you, SHUT THE gently caress UP.

This. I have friends and relatives like this, and there have been so many times I've postponed meeting with them because I can't deal with the bullshit. It's always intertwined with a massive martyr complex or being a completely spineless doormat too.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

WampaLord posted:

They are trying to train you to respond to their requests. It's a practice from pet training, you give the pet the command when it's already performing the task. So your dog is rolling over all on his own, you say "Roll over!" and he associates the command with the task. It can kind of work on humans too, so I guess someone is trying to train you to do the dishes when they ask.

It sure has the opposite effect in me- it automatically kills my desire to do that thing. I've found that most of my pet peeves are related to other people having poor situational awareness, and this is part of it. If you just looked over, you'd see that I'm already doing *thing*. It's like there's something in me that says: "Want me to do something? Ask me. Want me to drag my feet doing it? Ask me again." I'm better at managing this one now, though.

I can see the other side, though. There are people that you really have to ride to get them to do anything, and often they'll snap when you ask them one time too many. I have an aunt and uncle where it's a constant back-and-forth.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Unsolicited medical advice. You're not a doctor, that's why I'm going to go see one.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Lotish posted:

Back in the early 2000's before there was a no-call list, I had a friend who worked as a telemarketer and couldn't understand why everyone was so rude with him all the time. Then he spent one evening in our house where ten minutes didn't go by without a sales call. He then said he completely understood, and happily changed careers soon after.

My parents have a landline phone, and no word of a lie, get in the neighbourhood of fifteen to twenty, almost thirty on one day telemarketing calls as I discovered from being sick and having to stay inside all day for a few days. About a third of the time, there's no answer when you pick up the phone. The rest? Every legal financial fleecing operation, from paying $8.95 a month for third-party credit card protection you already get for free from the issuer, to insurance against everything except insurance salespeople. The phone and cable companies, both trying to upsell you on bundles. A "charity clothing donation centre" , aka a rag mill looking for fibres for reprocessing and donates 0.1% of a certain type of operating profit to "charity", asking if there we had any donations. One of those "CollegeWorks MLM places asking if we wanted our house painted by people with no experience. They also don't have caller ID, so I couldn't screen calls. I'd be so annoyed if that was me.

On my cell, I get 1 or 2 telemarketing calls in a bad month, and with any unrecognized 800 number that I wasn't expecting a call from, I simply dismiss the call and call them back to see if it was legit, and block the number if it isn't.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

"He doesn't know any better." No poo poo Captain Obvious, him not knowing any better is the entire reason you need to be doing something about it.

Wow, and here I thought that your kid was normally well-behaved but had to run around smashing poo poo because you told him you'd beat him when you got home if he didn't break something. He actually doesn't know any better, so it's cool!

"Kids will be kids!" No poo poo! That's why it's up to parents to be parents and not just tall children.

Captain Drumline posted:

I'll agree with all of that. Being introverted just means that you enjoy spending time alone to recharge. It doesn't give you an excuse to have bad social skills. For instance, I like to spend a ton of time by myself on personal hobbies, but I still need to be able to be social in order to not be miserable. Humans are social creatures, after all. No matter what anyone says, it's pretty much never healthy to be a shut-in.

People try to excuse being shy because they're "introverted", and that bugs me too. Being shy is mostly the result of poor self-confidence, not from being introverted.

That is so true. I've seen more and more of this internet movement to smear extroverts as ":qq::qq: loud and obnoxious alpha (fe)male jocks :qq: who just don't understand my nerdy hobbies and won't let me break out of my shell, like that meanie teacher who wouldn't stop everything and tailor the class to my learning style because I didn't like to be called on to answer a question. No one actually contributes to a discussion in real life and I shouldn't have to, and they all think I'm dumb because I want to read my Naruto in peace:qq:!"

I'm fairly introverted myself, but like you described, I'm still sociable, but I just need breaks to recharge by myself every so often.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

ilysespieces posted:

On the opposite end of that, when people question my hatred of bananas or ketchup. I have to justify why I don't like either and even then I have to be wary of people offering me yellow candies or saying "Here, try this" and when I ask what it is they just said "Try it". My friends are assholes and like to try and trick me into eating banana flavored things.

I get the "That's gross" thing a lot, too, I like all shellfish and anchovies and other foods people have strong feelings about.

I don't know why people care what someone else likes/doesn't like, provided that the person in question isn't obnoxious about it, like bringing sea urchin caviar to Grandma's birthday potluck or bitching that a fancy trendy restaurant doesn't serve plain chicken nuggets and fries.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
People who can't give a timeframe. There is one example that really sticks out with me.

I have one friend who will say he's going to be 20 minutes regardless of how long he's actually going to take. He also has a terrible sense of direction and is chronically late. "20 minutes" has meant everything from 10 minutes to an hour and a half. He didn't appreciate the rest of the guys asking how long today's 20 minutes will be, so now when we invite him somewhere, we ask him where he is now, come up with an estimate of how long it would take a normal person to get to where we are from where he is and add to it accordingly.

E: Come now, Sunshine, don't be pissy

Sunshine89 has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Sep 3, 2013

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

GOD YES!

Seriously, sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who hates and can't drink scalding hot coffee.

Do you people have asbestos mouths, or something? 80% of the reason I add milk or cream is to cool down the coffee. If it was served 5 to 10 degrees cooler, I could probably drink it black.

I can't drink scalding hot things either; if I go to Starbucks' for something hot I ask for the drink to be served at the same temperature as a kids' drink

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

meataidstheft posted:

The second pet peeve is work related:

When someone answers one of a series of questions in an email I write to them. Mainly suppliers (I am a materials manager). I think I write incredibly clear and concise emails, with separate questions in their own paragraphs for easy comprehension. And they still. don't. get it.

Even worse are people who you give instructions to, they tell you they get it, and still manage to screw up. If you don't get it, ask for clarification. Measure twice, cut once.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Cigarette smokers with a persecution complex. You are not a protected class. You were not born with a cancer stick in your mouth. Car exhaust? Not the same at all.

uptown posted:

When people ask me a question, then argue with my answer. WHY DID YOU ASK IF YOU KNOW THE ANSWER THEN?

Oh god, this. It gets worse if it's a non-technical question. If you're going to get mad at me for giving you an answer you don't like, why even ask the question?

As for plans, I've found a way to translate what options people pick when invited to an event via Facebook:

Yes = Maybe

Maybe = No

No = Will show up late without calling after you cancelled the event or made a reservation for fewer people or something like that.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
I personally don't like the "everything but country and rap" answer for a couple of reasons. First, if you're being asked what kind of music you like, it's a non-answer that dodges the question- you're being asked what do you like, not what do you not like. Second, everyone who says this listens to either Top 40 exclusively or Top 40 mixed with dad rock.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Online product reviews by people who don't know how to use the product properly.

Take, for example, gloves. You go to genericoutdoorgearsite.com, and you're looking up lightweight glove liners with touchscreen compatability. You find they all have >3 star ratings. You read the reviews- and find out it's because that people are complaining that glove liners aren't warm and waterproof on their own. Similarly, the XTREME HIMALAYAN EXPEDITION SUMMIT MITT gets slammed for not having touchscreen compatability

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Coconut Indian posted:

I am trying to print black Times New Roman text on a sheet of paper. That's it. It's not even a lot of text, just a recipe, but my printer is refusing to do anything because yellow is low. Not even completely out, just low. I've tried making it so that I could print it out in dark blue, or do the black and white settings, but the rest of the cartridges are standing in useless solidarity with their fallen comrade. Now I have to drive my rear end to a congested area to spend $60 to buy the combo pack of ink, just to do this dance again in a few months when black runs out.

That is why I will never buy another printer with a tri-colour cartridge.

On that note, I can count on one hand the number of times I bought printer ink. This is because whenever a family member buys a new computer/tablet/iThing, Best Buy or Future Shop always seems to have the cheapest HP inkjet bundled with it for $19-29. That's cheaper than a new set of cartridges. My parents have a quality laser printer in their office, so whenever somebody buys a new computer, they get the printer with it, and we take the old printer in for recycling when the cartridges run out.

It feels so wasteful- it is wasteful, but it's way cheaper than new ink. :sigh:

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

I Might Be Adam posted:

My Canon color printer/scanner/all in one hulking box of awful does this poo poo to me all the time. There are 4 small tanks of C M Y K and one bigger tank of K (black). I'll try to print a word doc or something set to grayscale and it will say "sorry! your tank of magenta is low! please replace!". What the gently caress is that bigger tank of black for if it insists on using a 4 color process to print all black? The most insulting thing is that it won't just let you do it anyways and get the results without Magenta. It even locks the thing down, not letting you use the other features without replacing the tank or manually resetting the machine. gently caress you, Canon.

I've decided that I no longer have a use for a color printer, as it's been ages since I've actually printed anything in color that looked halfway decent. Next time I buy a printer, it's going to be a B/W laser jet.

That's what I'm going to do too. I really don't want to buy a huge and expensive photo/office printer, and I never print in colour anyway. I also haven't scanned or faxed anything in years. Plus, I live in Toronto so there's 24-hour print shops everywhere.

For content, I'm going to go with scummy but not quite illegal sales tactics. I see people swearing by these "all natural" cold remedies. "Remedies" which are sold as supplements, so they don't have to prove efficacy, and have disclaimers that state that they "may help to reduce the duration and severity of colds". So, in other words, you bought some really expensive cornstarch tablets, and I'm "close (sic) minded" for not believing your claims- especially when you're sniffling and congested!

I also saw an ad for a cheap suit that was advertised as being made out of "WoolTouch Superior 120". I don't remember exactly but it was either entirely polyester or a poly-wool blend with like 3% actual wool. Now, Super 120s wool is a real thing- it's 100% wool woven from 120-gauge yarn. The higher the number, the finer the thread and the lighter (and more expensive) it is. However, the language here is obviously designed to trick the buyer into thinking they're buying a wool suit without specifically claiming it's wool. Now some poor dude overpaid for a polyester suit and will be sweating away in a suit that will fall apart after 1 cleaning.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
The weather where I am has warmed up this week and it has destroyed people's sense of spatial awareness.
There have been so many traffic accidents it's been impossible to get anywhere without it taking forever.

I have also had 3 people walk into me in the last 2 days.

The strangest thing was this one weirdo who kept inching closer and closer to me on the streetcar. I'm holding on to a stanchion, and he nudges my hand. I move my hand up, and he rests his head against the pole, again grazing my hand. Someone gets off, I move back and he does to, bumping into me in the process, and when I move back again, he's just about stepping on my toes. Goddamn dude, do you not realize that the laws of physics prohibit you from occupying the same space that I am currently occupying?

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Xander77 posted:

My town is currently undergoing an invasion by a bunch of ren-fair rejects. Apparently one of (the all too many) psychological issues that afflicts their culture is a pathological fear of dogs. Which - fair enough. Happiness is a warm puppy, and pretty much the last thing I want them to have.

However, their reaction to seeing a dog is the dumbest thing. Upon seeing a dog (on a leash, not the least bit interested) coming their way, they screech to attract its attention, then take off running at the speed of prey. How those fucktards survive in the wild, I'll never know.

You typed out that screed about Haredi Jews. Sorry dude, here SA stands for "Something Awful", not the loving Brownshirts.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
The Kardashians have a leg up- unlike the house of Saxe-Cobourg-Gotha, they aren't inbreeds, they don't have any decision making powers, and the taxpayers aren't on the hook for their antics.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Companies that have retail stores in the USA and Canada, but ship everything ordered online from the US.

I just love waiting more and paying even more in price, conversion markup and shipping when there already is a Canadian distribution network.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Cmdr Tomalak posted:

Actually, if it was a Vancouver station then they probably do. CRTC requirements state that 35% of all music played on Canadian radio has to be Canadian content. As a former (community) radio host, I can assure you it's as annoying to conform to as it is to listen to.

(Even worse: my show was pretty niche, so there were about 5 Canadian bands that fit into my format, and they were mostly crap. I only had an hour, and 2-3 songs were taken up having to play crappy Cancon)

I was genuinely surprised to find that Nickelback and Hedley actually have fans- I thought Canadian radio stations just played them on loop because of CRTC requirements. Kind of like why the classic rock stations play T Rex and Max Webster all the time.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Okay dude? He pretty much explains how he got this condition, how it works and even has posted pictures of his rear end in a top hat after he's been fisted by like two people. I'm not sure why you'd think he'd photoshop an extra dick on himself when his rear end looks like that.

In a world where we can have women with more than one uterus/vagina, people with their hearts born outside their body, harlequin babies or various other horrifying variations why is it so hard to believe that one dude has two functioning dicks?

My pet peeve is people who act like smug loving assholes who think they know everything and refuse to acknowledge maybe they aren't right once in a while.

In an age where everyone and their brother want to be e-famous for something, it isn't hard to believe that he just shopped an extra dick on himself. It's a lot more plausible than it actually being true. If it was The Lancet,sure; but it's a Tumblr.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

I have yet to see a someone driving a Honda Fit in a manner that could be deemed safe, responsible, or not uncontrolled jerking of the steering wheel back and forth while simultaneously blowing the horn and ignoring street signs. If you drive a Honda Fit I hope a cop pulls you over and jails you for a combination of poor taste and stupidity.

For me it's The Dubber. It's always an rear end in a top hat in a lovely Jetta. Bonus points if it's a diesel, double bonus if it's a GTI. They're always being driven in the showiest manner by the smuggest assholes because it's a VW. They're also god's gift to motoring if they have the diesel or a manual, because these automatically make you a better driver. The weaving. The revving at stoplights and blowing through crosswalks and past open streetcar doors. The straddling of bike lanes. No matter what mode of road user you are, the Dubber is after you.

Also, sorry, no bore of pumpkin launcher will make it an Audi S/RS#, let alone a Porsche.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
lovely tools that don't work. Specifically this stupid DeWalt multi-bit screwdriver thing. I figured that since DeWalt makes good power tools, their hand tools would also be good.

Nope, now I paid far too much for some black and yellow Fisher-Price thing that can't even handle tightening up the screws on flatpack furniture. I'm part peeved that I fell for the marketing, part because I didn't read reviews before buying it, and realizing that something that says it can do a lot of things probably doesn't do any of them very well, and part because now I have to take this opened thing back to Home Depot and hope they take it back or eat the cost, and eat the cost of a decent set of screwdrivers on top of it and the time either way.

On the plus side, the combination wrenches, pliers, and all the other things I bought for Babby's First Tooolbox work well :unsmith:

Sunshine89 has a new favorite as of 07:42 on Jun 5, 2014

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
OP NOTE:

Another pet peeve: People discussing a dude who may or may not have two dongs in the pet peeves thread. Knock it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

Pretty much any tool that has a display in a store or a clickable picture link with a "TRY ME!!!" headline and a long list of all the poo poo it can do (THROW AWAY ALL YOUR OTHER TOOLS, THIS IS ALL YOU'LL EVER NEED!!!) are complete bullshit and garbage. I wouldn't even classify them above Harbor Freight tools, they're that sucky. Stick with the hand tools that get the job done and have eponymous names like Channellocks, Allen wrenches, Crescent wrench, Vise Grips, etc. I find it even funnier when stores lug out all those tools around the holidays because they didn't sell any any other time of the year, then you've got massive piles of dogbone wrenches and Robo Grip wrenches and poo poo no one wants.

Just

You Are A Elf posted:

Pretty much any tool that has a display in a store or a clickable picture link with a "TRY ME!!!" headline and a long list of all the poo poo it can do (THROW AWAY ALL YOUR OTHER TOOLS, THIS IS ALL YOU'LL EVER NEED!!!) are complete bullshit and garbage. I wouldn't even classify them above Harbor Freight tools, they're that sucky. Stick with the hand tools that get the job done and have eponymous names like Channellocks, Allen wrenches, Crescent wrench, Vise Grips, etc. I find it even funnier when stores lug out all those tools around the holidays because they didn't sell any any other time of the year, then you've got massive piles of dogbone wrenches and Robo Grip wrenches and poo poo no one wants.

I just returned that stupid thing to Home Depot and bought some Canadian made Fuller Pro screwdrivers that drive screws and nothing but. Now my wobbly IKEA desk is as sturdy as the HMS Victory compared to how it was. The funny thing is, I got a sympathetic look from the returns clerk, practically saying "Really? Another one of those pieces of junk?"

My peeve here is that I ignored my own better judgement. One of the home improvement boards I read had a guy who said, basically: "Don't buy cheap tools to save some initial cash. They won't work right even the first time, and you'll spend more time and money fighting them and replacing them. You don't have to go chase down the Snap-On truck, but do yourself a favour and get something decent".

Sunshine89 has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Jun 5, 2014

• Locked thread