Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

And then you get people like this douchebag lying to diners, so. :smith: I may just never leave my house again. But note the chef who "thinks special requests are ridiculous" because he's seen diners lying about allergies.

Holy poo poo that guy is a dick. It's people like this that cause my girlfriend to end up in bathroom throwing up in the middle of a nice night out. I mean it's not like coeliac disease is some mystery disease that they can't test for. I guess I hate people that think uncommon illnesses are made up. I wouldn't really call it a pet peeve since it is essentially gradually poisoning someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

What is so bad about not liking country or rap music? I mean both of those genres seem to have an entire culture that goes with them, so it seems like a lot of people wouldn't like those genres of music.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

canyoneer posted:

How about when the pump outside asks
"SELECT DEBIT OR CREDIT"
*hits credit button*
"PLEASE SWIPE CARD"
*swipes card*
"CREDIT? YES/NO"
:what:
*hits yes button*
"SELECT GRADE AND BEGIN FUELING"

You already asked that!

Basically any time somebody uses a card that can be used both as a debit and credit card, they're desperately trying to trick you in to using it as a debit card. If you pay by credit card, the credit card company takes a small slice of the money. If you pay by debit, they don't have to give anyone a piece, and in some places they can secretly charge you a debit fee on top of that without even needing to tell you.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

People who get mad at you for not liking the Beatles, as if you're required to like a band just because the band was important. Not singling you out you just reminded me of the time I was literally told that I was lying and I have to like the Beatles. I'm just not all that in to classic rock.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Clochette posted:

Also, David Tennant, Matt Smith, and Tom Hiddleston are not attractive men.

On the one hand standards of beauty are entirely subjective, on the other hand what the hell is wrong with Benedict Cumberbatch's face.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

People standing too close to the elevator door as it opens because they don't seem to realize that you're supposed to let the people inside exit before you try to crowd them in even more.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Loose leaf tea is typically a teaspoon per 8 ounces but that usually makes a strong enough cup of tea to resteep the same tea leaves again afterwards so you can get a way with a lot less. And you don't put loose tea in a kettle unless it was made for it. Otherwise you're liable to clog it up.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ork of Fiction posted:

If you want to back into a parking space, you don't put on your turn signal, which indicates that you are preparing to turn, you put on your hazard lights to signal to anyone behind you that they should go around you and that you may be blocking the road. Most vehicles put this little button in plain view for anyone to use, but god drat nobody ever uses it.

Are you talking about parallel parking? Because you are definitely supposed to use your turn signal for that where I live.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

I love it when foods advertise gluten-free that don't even have anything to do with the discussion, like a bag of peanuts or a slim jim or something, where grains were never part of the equation. It comes across as completely sarcastic to me.

It's because gluten is in pretty much everything. Case in point, slim jims are not gluten free. The gluten free diet fad has made things much easier for people who actually have celiac disease, so I can't complain.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

If I can go the rest of my life without hearing yet another political scandal referred to as [blank]-gate, I will die a happy man.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to die very, very angry.

Did this happen with other scandals? Did people call political scandals in the 1920s-1940s [blank]-pot dome scandals?

Someone in the political cartoons thread linked to an article about that. Some republican strategist somewhere had the bright idea of adding gate to the end of everything to lessen the impact of the original watergate scandal basically.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

That doesn't make a lot of sense. None at all, really.

quote:

The adoption of -gate to suggest the existence of a scandal was promoted by William Safire, the conservative New York Times columnist and former Nixon administration speechwriter. As early as September 1974 he wrote of "Vietgate", a proposed pardon of the Watergate criminals and Vietnam War draft dodgers.[8] Subsequently he coined numerous -gate terms, including Billygate, Briefingate, Contragate, Deavergate, Debategate, Doublebillingsgate (of which he later said "My best [-gate coinage] was the encapsulation of a minor ... scandal as doublebillingsgate"), Frankiegate, Franklingate, Genschergate, Housegate, Iraqgate, Koreagate, Lancegate, Maggiegate, Nannygate, Raidergate, Scalpgate, Travelgate, Troopergate and Whitewatergate. The New York magazine suggested that his aim in doing so was "rehabilitating Nixon by relentlessly tarring his successors with the same rhetorical brush – diminished guilt by association".[9] Safire himself later admitted to author Eric Alterman that, as Alterman puts it, "psychologically, he may have been seeking to minimize the relative importance of the crimes committed by his former boss with this silliness."[10]

A lot of Republican strategy is just trying to associate their own problems with their opponents.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm confused about this motion blur. I've got a friend with a newer tv that interpolated everything because it was at a higher frame rate. It had that soap opera feel to it, but specifically because it put everything in focus at all times. Do I see things completely differently than everyone else?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Huntersoninski posted:

All beers taste alike to me and I don't like any of them. People always pressure me into having a sip of theirs, I always dislike it, then they still assure me that I just need to try the right one.

On one occasion I insisted beer just wasn't for me, so the person turned to my husband and had a chat with him about what beers I ought to try.

gently caress your gross rear end sour bread drink. I hate the taste, I hate the way it sits in my stomach.

Yeah I feel for you. I have less trouble drinking straight gin than I have drinking beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It's a lot easier to discuss specifics of such things on Internet forums with large numbers of people than in person with an individual. Without the Awful Forums, I wouldn't have known that liking cilantro is determined genetically or that people who dislike coffee find it exceedingly bitter. And now, sour beer.

The sour beer thing is weird. Most people that hate beer taste bitter things more intensely. I didn't know that coffee wasn't supposed to be bitter. I mostly just add a shitload of cream and sugar in it so I can continue to suck down a lot of caffeine in the morning.

• Locked thread