Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahaha, I just unlocked the Aircobra and it's completely ridiculous. Either the six MGs or the big cannon would be perfectly viable armaments on their own, but gently caress it let's just slap both of them on a single, wicked fast, plane. And all that at tier 6, no less. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

mottbag posted:

Historical Battles are so fun, why don't more people queue for them :negative:

I don't know what happened, but it got a lot worse since 1.31 for me. Back then I was farming lions in my Dora and almost every match had a full team on each side, now I've started taking my Brit Mustang out for a spin and it's been 5v5 with 4 AI every time, which is disappointing and a lot less fun.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Generation Internet posted:

I don't know what happened, but it got a lot worse since 1.31 for me. Back then I was farming lions in my Dora and almost every match had a full team on each side, now I've started taking my Brit Mustang out for a spin and it's been 5v5 with 4 AI every time, which is disappointing and a lot less fun.

This is especially bad when you like to fly planes like the ME 410 into battle. When the enemy team is just a few fighters and AIs bomber hunters have little to do besides get shot down chasing the AIs.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

The Droid posted:

This is especially bad when you like to fly planes like the ME 410 into battle. When the enemy team is just a few fighters and AIs bomber hunters have little to do besides get shot down chasing the AIs.

Especially considering the time it takes to take off and get across the map for the epic confrontation with, at best, five enemy planes. It also has the effect of making the actual objectives of the missions completely pointless, because good luck taking out any significant number of armoured ground targets with maybe the two wing-mounted bombs your fighter has.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

jownzy posted:

Because the majority of people don't find them fun.

And because I actually can make more money/hour running low tier Arcade matches.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

The high-speed yo-yo mentioned on the previous page: what sort of control inputs are required to achieve it (using keyboard and mouse)? I'm having some trouble picturing it.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Clarence posted:

The high-speed yo-yo mentioned on the previous page: what sort of control inputs are required to achieve it (using keyboard and mouse)? I'm having some trouble picturing it.

S to pitch up, Ctrl to throttle-down, F for combat flaps, Q/E for rudder in the direction you want to go.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

ramjb released a nice video today on using keyboard commands in conjunction with the instructor. It's a good watch if you aren't put off by his accent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikq6xhPINmc

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Perestroika posted:

Is it just me or are ground units behaving super eratically recently? A few weeks ago they used to just go along the road in neat lines, but now they're crossing back and forth over it like it isn't even there, and at times they even seem to hit the reverse. Not to mention all those times they just randomly vanish into thin air even when there's nothing nearby that could have shot them. It makes high-altitude bombing even more of a pain than it already is.

One time I was diving on on a jeep that was driving towards me. He slammed on the brakes and turned right around and started driving back the way he came and the ground exploded around him. I was laughing too hard to turn around for another pass - he earned his virtual life.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

mottbag posted:

Historical Battles are so fun, why don't more people queue for them :negative:

You should run games with Burno, A Pretty Girl and I. We're usually in mumble and almost exclusively play historical.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Holy gently caress. I was flying tier 11 brits and had the luckiest game I have ever played. I'd say a good 60% of the kills were instant bullshit pilot shots. A good 13 of those kills were in the Spitfire Mk IX on which the cannons just seem crazy

Replay: http://cloudpanda.co.uk/22killfight.zip

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 8, 2013

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well done. Cannons are really good at making use of a short period of vulnerability when an enemy exposes themselves, such as during a stall turn or when they try and cut inside you but before you roll up and over to follow them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Thief posted:

You should run games with Burno, A Pretty Girl and I. We're usually in mumble and almost exclusively play historical.

I had the stupidest game with Burno last night. Winning bulge via ground targets and time expiration as German fighters is no fun. gently caress B17s hanging out at 12000 meters, fleeing forever.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

After asking us "Is this a Carrier or a Destroyer" and then attempting to land, gear down, from the front of the carrier... this is the end result Oppenheimer's attempt.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe

Elendil004 posted:

After asking us "Is this a Carrier or a Destroyer" and then attempting to land, gear down, from the front of the carrier... this is the end result Oppenheimer's attempt.

:ussr: Poor PE-3

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I tried the in-game Twitch streaming thing. It's pretty lovely but I guess it's good that it's an easy option to use.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Carrier landings are a complete bitch because the scale isn't correct and the traps don't/rarely work. I'm frankly amazed that I didn't slip off.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So just curious, what is the best way to make money in this game. I only ask because I am currently saving up for a particular plane, and just want to fast track my way up to it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

jadebullet posted:

So just curious, what is the best way to make money in this game. I only ask because I am currently saving up for a particular plane, and just want to fast track my way up to it.

Are you against throwing real money at it?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
At the moment, that isn't an option unfortunately or else I would.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

jadebullet posted:

I'm finding I'm making the fastest money in HB at level 10+. Shoot down one plane and don't die and its 50k

I fly Brit and am pretty outmatched in my Tempest against the N1ks and the Doras but it's still fun

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

jadebullet posted:

If you're good and patient, HB can do well. However, while I haven't been timing/logging my results, I think I make money faster playing 6-12 arcade than I do in HB. If you're squadded up in a premium plane, though, you can make some really serious cash in HB. If you get a poo poo game where the enemies all crash, except one rear end in a top hat who runs away forever, it's a 1 hour long match with minimal gains, even if you win. gently caress.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Thief posted:

I tried the in-game Twitch streaming thing. It's pretty lovely but I guess it's good that it's an easy option to use.

Did you mess with the quality at all? I can stream 720 with the slider nearly full without taking a framerate hit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I flew in a real B-17G and the tail didn't fall off even once.

album of a handful of my pictures: http://imgur.com/a/fMenj

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am so jealous...how did you swing that?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Elendil004 posted:

I am so jealous...how did you swing that?

I happened to be in town at the time for a wedding, and figured I'd see what was going on in St. Louis.

This was there: http://www.b17.org/

Worth it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

mlmp08 posted:

I happened to be in town at the time for a wedding, and figured I'd see what was going on in St. Louis.

This was there: http://www.b17.org/

Worth it.

I got to fly a simulated combat mission on a Huey last summer which was a dream come true...but a B-17 is probably number 2 on the list.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I think that is the one that comes to Reading, PA for WWII Weekend every year and does rides.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Artless Meat posted:

Did you mess with the quality at all? I can stream 720 with the slider nearly full without taking a framerate hit.

The video recording is decent but the way the audio inputs are handled makes me not want to use it, especially since I'm always on mumble when I play.

The He 162 A-2's only rank 17, so I thought I'd use an appropriate skin.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I made a dumb video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTZmsybn4Co

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Why did no-one tell me the Spit IX is amazing in HB. It's heaps better than the Tempest

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Thief posted:

The video recording is decent but the way the audio inputs are handled makes me not want to use it, especially since I'm always on mumble when I play.

The He 162 A-2's only rank 17, so I thought I'd use an appropriate skin.

Looks kind of like an A-10 in a sort of hosed up way

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Speaking of weird hosed up A-10 looking German planes, I so so want this plane, but there's probably no chance it'll ever be in the game considering it doesn't even have a name. http://www.luft46.com/junkers/jugap.html

Its like the A-10, YA-9, and Su-25 all ran into each other. The future tree only stops at the FW-190F8 for attacker, so it'd be nice to have something after that.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I'm slowly leveling my USA rank because:

Also, please let this be a flap option:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I seriously can't wait for the eventual deluge of US first-gen jet fighters that nobody has heard of because they had a service period of about six weeks before becoming obsolescent.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I seriously can't wait for the eventual deluge of US first-gen jet fighters that nobody has heard of because they had a service period of about six weeks before becoming obsolescent.

The power of many of the early naval jets was so low that they took off from carriers with their canopy open lest they lose power on takeoff and be forced to ditch.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Just had a hilarious thing happen to me in HB while in my 9T

I get a 109 on my tail who basically instantly proceeds to black out both of my wings, my fuselage, and my right aileron, and he also reds my left one. So basically I am screwed, but I manage to dodge around for a bit until he gives up and someone else decided to engage me (another 109.) he doesn't seem to have any cannon rounds left so he is plinking me with his little machine guns. I am still dodging around (basically swaying slightly from side to side, and going up and down a bit.) but this guy has more speed than me, and eventually he somehow manages to ram me, which sets him on fire giving me credit for setting him ablaze, and it doesn't damage me at all, at least nothing noticeable considering how hosed up i am anyway. He breaks off and then his pilot proceeds to die. Free kill. I hobble back to base and land, but before I repair the last guy on their team dies and we win.

Was wearing my awesome wings too

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Those wings are awesome, But not as awesome as the German emblem that makes pubbies rage and blindly go chasing me down because it's got a black man's face on it.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

This, combined with pink smoke tends to get pubbies to chase you. Especially after you one shot them with your 37mm.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Artless Meat posted:

This, combined with pink smoke tends to get pubbies to chase you. Especially after you one shot them with your 37mm.

That, sir, is art. I tip my hat to you.

• Locked thread