Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Carrier landings are a complete bitch because the scale isn't correct and the traps don't/rarely work. I'm frankly amazed that I didn't slip off.

I knew they felt odd to land on, has Gaijin said if they are going to ever fix this ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Hope so, annoying trying to land on one with a plane that I know is capable of it (F4U) with stall speed perfectly hitting the lines and just rolling off the end of the drat carrier.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I don't know if this is still the case, but several versions ago it was much easier to land on a carrier by just not extending you landing gear and gently grinding the poo poo out of your plane to stop.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Bondematt posted:

I don't know if this is still the case, but several versions ago it was much easier to land on a carrier by just not extending you landing gear and gently grinding the poo poo out of your plane to stop.

It will say cannot repair critically damaged aircraft

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008
I haven't been this giddy about a game in a long time, I'm absolutely loving this game. Just had a match where I was in a P-36A shot up so badly I just had ailerons, flaps and the engine left to maneuver with. To make things worse I had 2 guys chasing me but managed to stay alive 2-3 minutes till the end of the game, what a rush. Maybe it would've been better to just crash or just let them shoot me up but man was it ever fun.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You can also hold J to bail out of your plane if you don't want to just slam into the ground or something. I occasionally use it when my plane is so hosed up I can barely keep it in the air and I want to cheat someone who flew halfway across the map to try and finish me off out of a kill (though SOMEONE still gets kill credit for you).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Landing on a carrier gets easier once you realise that the tower can serve as a braking aid :v: :

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
As of right now, if you have a hook, it's actually easier to snag the wires by coming in very slowly the wrong way, settling your plane onto the deck and at the end they'll snag and you'll stop or they won't and you'll fly off the edge as usual.

I generally only do this when bored. If I actually need to repair or reload, sliding in with the gear up is the way to go. Just do it gently and you will be able to repair.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Perestroika posted:

Landing on a carrier gets easier once you realise that the tower can serve as a braking aid :v: :

Pretty much this. I've never failed a carrier landing by snapping one of my wings off on the observation tower. I've failed carrier landings many times trying to do them legit.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Perestroika posted:

It must be Oktoberfest on this ship. Those men are clearly doing the Chicken Dance.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

TheRagamuffin posted:

Pretty much this. I've never failed a carrier landing by snapping one of my wings off on the observation tower. I've failed carrier landings many times trying to do them legit.

When I land and break poo poo in order to stop it just says Cannot repair critically damaged plane

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I wouldn't recommend intentionally damaging your plane just to land unless you really know what you're doing and absolutely have to. Sometimes cartwheeling or snapping wings/gear off IS necessary when control surfaces are damaged and/or the engine is dead and/or you are coming in at an odd angle or too fast and aborting the landing is not an option.

Just come in as slow, flat and level as possible then belly slide it. I've yet to ever fall off the far end from sliding too far - you usually won't even go more than half way. The only time I've used the bridge was when I had to land massive unwieldy bombers and needed a little extra insurance.

Just pretend you're landing a boat plane that has no wheels, its practically the same thing.

Thief fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 9, 2013

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I find the easiest (hah!) way for me is to make sure that I'm stalling just before I reach the carrier. It's not so much a glide onto the strip but a controlled stall.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the rank16 jap bomber any better than the rank13 one?
My g5 handles like a turd and climbs terribly. It feels like an XP piñata for other players
It seems only good for bombing out airfields because good luck hitting anything without a 2km lead to line up the shot

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Is the rank16 jap bomber any better than the rank13 one?
My g5 handles like a turd and climbs terribly. It feels like an XP piñata for other players
It seems only good for bombing out airfields because good luck hitting anything without a 2km lead to line up the shot

The G8N1 climbs and goes so fast it is awesome. I want to get a squad of 4 and just base bomb all day. It only has the 3000kg load, but it can easily reach high alt (14km) and cruise at around 580kph and if someone does catch you, hello 20mms

It also works reasonably well as a high speed low altitude bomber and I have made 3 full runs bombing/RTB without getting intercepted in HB before the round ended.

Of course bombers as a whole are still bad.

edit: now that I think about it, it is basically like an A20 that doesn't handle well but carries a ton of bombs. Also we should be G8 bombing buddies.

Burno fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 9, 2013

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Why isnt it fixed that if you fire in short bursts your wings magically keep spilling out casings eternally until you shoot again

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Skwee posted:

Why isnt it fixed that if you fire in short bursts your wings magically keep spilling out casings eternally until you shoot again

I'd guess it's been "fixed" once already, because it used to happen to me whenever I'd run out of ammo instead of manually hitting reload.

In seriousness, it's probably not getting looked at because there's a shitload of work being done on parts of the game that directly affect gameplay.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Perestroika posted:

I like the round of applause you are getting from the bridge.

Apparently, you need to apply your brake in order to use the tow hook, or something like that. I personally find it easier just to land on an enemy tank rather than on a carrier and it gives me far more experience.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

jadebullet posted:

I like the round of applause you are getting from the bridge.

Apparently, you need to apply your brake in order to use the tow hook, or something like that. I personally find it easier just to land on an enemy tank rather than on a carrier and it gives me far more experience.

I once spent an hour just practicing carrier landings in my F6F when Midaway was the only map in U.S. HB rotation, because I hate fun or something. What I learned is that the tailhook comes down on it's own when you're on your approach, but good luck catching the traps. I did it at least once, but you really have to have your nose up and your tail down to have any chance of hitting it. I think I waved off at least 90% of my attempts and just throttled back up.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Generation Internet posted:

I once spent an hour just practicing carrier landings in my F6F when Midaway was the only map in U.S. HB rotation, because I hate fun or something. What I learned is that the tailhook comes down on it's own when you're on your approach, but good luck catching the traps. I did it at least once, but you really have to have your nose up and your tail down to have any chance of hitting it. I think I waved off at least 90% of my attempts and just throttled back up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKTjEbGBS1Q

Pretty good video by Krebs about carrier landing.

Edit: Looking into it, the nominal landing speed on a carrier is 90 khp. Yeah, they really need to work on carriers.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 9, 2013

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Holy cow the carriers are small. Some rather huge issues with scale, it seems.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Dominic White posted:

I just 'bought' War Thunder, then. Got that Pacific Campaigns bundle. Two planes, a month of premium, 1700 eagles and two 10-mission campaigns. A bit more expensive for europe (drat you, VAT!) but 20 euros seems fair.

Weirdly it's not listed directly on the Gaijin site, but it is listed in-game in the Store menu, and that'll take you to the purchase page. It seems to be the best general value-for-money pack for the game as it actually includes a pile of real gameplay content.

Yeah, you absolutely need to use keyboard controls for combat, but for general flying around the flight AI is crazy-capable and can hold your plane level on a target better than any human.

You should have just gotten the Ultimate starter pack, it was on sale for like 10 bucks cheaper when I bought it. 80 bucks (~60 Euros?) and you get both campaigns, 10000 HitlerDollars, and 90 days of premium. and an Extra plane I believe is unavailable with the other packs.

Slayer1597 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 9, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thronde posted:

Edit: Looking into it, the nominal landing speed on a carrier is 90 khp. Yeah, they really need to work on carriers.

There is another way how to land on carriers - (not advertising) http://www.twitch.tv/kalstrams/c/2533966 - recording from one of my streams from arcade.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
What the hell have you guys been doing to pubbies, I just had two different pubbies in a game on my own team that crawled up to my tail and just started lighting me up without any enemies around :/

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Ahdinko posted:

What the hell have you guys been doing to pubbies, I just had two different pubbies in a game on my own team that crawled up to my tail and just started lighting me up without any enemies around :/

Were they in any particular clan?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ahdinko posted:

Shooting them down (not tk) then mocking them when they bitch, mostly.

Also saying "it takes two to tango, sweety" after any ram complaints, which seems to strike a nerve.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Ahdinko posted:

Where do you want me to start? :allears:

Thronde posted:

This is the only game I've ever played that's ever really captured how loving sketchy that poo poo is and I kind of love it for that.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thief posted:

This is the only game I've ever played that's ever really captured how loving sketchy that poo poo is and I kind of love it for that.

Oh, it was sketchy, I will give you that. But the carriers are WAY too small for the scale, the aircraft take up like 2/3 the width of the flight deck. They need to make the carriers larger, and farther out on the map. Actually, all the ships need to be doubled in size from the looks of them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Shooting them down (not tk) then mocking them when they bitch, mostly.

Also saying "it takes two to tango, sweety" after any ram complaints, which seems to strike a nerve.

Arguing that it takes much more skill to hit an opponent with your entire plane rather than just with your guns also never fails to get a rise out of people. :allears:

VVVVV Oh yeah, clipping a guy with an IL-2 and then just doing a 360 will their plane falls to pieces is always hilarious. VVVVV

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 9, 2013

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Thief posted:

It's been my hobby to ram anyone on the opposing team who complains about ramming. I highly recommend it.

Bonus points if you fly something sturdy enough to survive the ramming. The quantity and quality of impotent pubbie rage is phenomenal.

I would say the only time I have seen more raging is when I pushed a teammate in World Of Tanks out of cover and into enemy line of fire.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

My favorite is when someone tries to ram me, but they blow up and die and I am either fine, or able to limp back to the airfield.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Friend of mine got me into this game last night. We queued up and I got an air kill streak of seven with my lovely little biplane and ended up on top of the scoreboard in my first match ever.

In my next match, I was rammed head on twice and then shot down by a wildly firing teammate without getting a single kill.

"Yeah, that'll happen."

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Thronde posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but I think he's on arcade difficulty there, it was a lot less forgiving on historical. Not that it's easy either way, but it makes a difference.

Thronde posted:

Oh, it was sketchy, I will give you that. But the carriers are WAY too small for the scale, the aircraft take up like 2/3 the width of the flight deck. They need to make the carriers larger, and farther out on the map. Actually, all the ships need to be doubled in size from the looks of them.

Yes please, not only so I can land on them but so I can actually hit carriers from altitude. That, and the fact that it's kinda out of place considering a lot of the other details on the ground are dead on.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

I'm thinking they might rescale the ships when they release/work on the player ships. I doubt they'd fix them on some maps tho. The little bay the carriers are in on pearl harbor is probably way too small. Also aren't the tanks too small too?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Bombing ships is currently pretty trivial, they really shouldn't increase their size unless the allow them to maneuver like ground targets.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Oh my god I just had the best series of two games in a long time. The first game I go out base bombing in my B-17, but only get one load off before a G-10 comes to intercept me. He then proceeds to shoot at me for the remaining ~7 minutes of the game without success, eventually ramming me (for the second time) just before the match ends, which rips his wing off but leaves me still flying. Just as the screen fades to black I see in the chat "b-17 invincible target?"

The best part came when he was in my next game, too, again in his G-10. I was in my P-51 this time, however, and as he stalled out chasing one of my teammates straight up I exploded his plane with .50 caliber justice. It felt pretty good.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I dunno, i have a personal vendetta against the ICE guys, so if you see them, tell them keket said hello, then ram them, if their on your team, even better.

Also we're at 128 members now, so people will start to be kicked to make room for new members, if you get kicked, chillout, don't shitpost, just calmly get on mumble and ask for a spot, we'll kick some other in-active member.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

Bombing ships is currently pretty trivial, they really shouldn't increase their size unless the allow them to maneuver like ground targets.

But but historically bombing ships was rather trivial!

Everything is mega tiny in this game compared to the planes. The planes are HUGE compared to ships, tanks, vehicles etc. Even when you land, your plane takes up 2 fields.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FileNotFound posted:

But but historically bombing ships was rather trivial!

Everything is mega tiny in this game compared to the planes. The planes are HUGE compared to ships, tanks, vehicles etc. Even when you land, your plane takes up 2 fields.

Yeah, I liked how my Zero was as high as 2-story house on one of the maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Keket posted:

I dunno, i have a personal vendetta against the ICE guys, so if you see them, tell them keket said hello, then ram them, if their on your team, even better.

Also we're at 128 members now, so people will start to be kicked to make room for new members, if you get kicked, chillout, don't shitpost, just calmly get on mumble and ask for a spot, we'll kick some other in-active member.

I've dropped off in activity a bunch due to classes, and that doesn't look like it's going to change for a while, so go ahead and kick TheRagamuffin to make more room.

• Locked thread