Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Subyng posted:

You won't be forced to see from the inside of the tank because you should be able to unbutton and stick your head out of the hatch, which would give you about the same view as you do in SB now, but with the added element of being able to be shot dead by MGs and HE fire, which is always hilarious. Having played different tank games of varying sim-ness (Red Orchestra 1&2, Darkest Hour, WW2 Online, random obscure Russian sims), it works and is not un-fun. There is also an issue with simply having your camera hovering over the turret in that you can basically see over hills without exposing any part of your tank. Plus, aside from those early Russian tanks, from an interior view you would still have a 360 view of your surroundings from the cupola and/or a rotatable periscope plus any available magnified optics. There are basically no negatives to implementing at least partial interiors.
I think partial interiors might be okay. There's little to be gained for the cost for fully modelled interiors though as opposed to simply having (un)buttoned drivers/commanders view and gunsights (which they've confirmed historically accurate ones are coming eventually). With those five views (maybe six with a hull MG view), only the buttoned commander needs anything interior modelled (inside of the cupola, maybe some turret internals to not upset spergs about just having darkness below).

As I've said before though, SB is pretty fun as is and I hope they don't gently caress with it (sans fixing arty hackavision) until removing nametags at least from RB (and hopefully the third-person camera too since that's rather game breaking in tanks unless they fix up their render system so you can't spot safely around corners with third person).

Geisladisk posted:

Shoot Tigers in the driver's slit, watch them explode. Shoot Panthers in the lower half of their turret to make the shot bounce into their paper thin roof and watch them explode.

It's a bit rough being a T-34-85 in a Tiger and Panther's world, but it's manageable.
Finally got to try out the T-34-85 and I've determined much of the whining about it not justified outside of Kursk (only had one chance at it, but Tigers/Panthers seem rather capable of rocking you at ranges you will struggle to pen at). On AB maps, you can definitely go toe-to-toe with them, even if you're at a slight disadvantage (like you will have been against F2s anyway so nothing has changed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
:(

Also, can someone tell me what's up with tanks SB where it tells me I've killed my target in the kill log but he is not actually dead?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Subyng posted:

:(

Also, can someone tell me what's up with tanks SB where it tells me I've killed my target in the kill log but he is not actually dead?

Are you sure it's not just a visual thing? Sometimes you kill tanks and they show no sign of being dead or damaged.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
They shoot back even after I've "killed" them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Subyng posted:

They shoot back even after I've "killed" them.

Maybe it's a bit tank clipping through its friend you killed.

Trouser Mouse Bear
Mar 20, 2004
Bancount - 1
I'm not sure if this is a bug, a feature or just lag.

I was able to shoot people through materials. The prime example is two tanks either side of a sharp crest of a hill. I can shoot through the crest of the hill which admittedly was not particulary thick and hit the enemy tank (and in fact, shots that penetrated enough to kill the other tank). Only a tiny sliver of the enemy tank was visible so I think it was going through the hill rather than deflecting ever so slightly and hitting the other tank.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trouser Mouse Bear posted:

I'm not sure if this is a bug, a feature or just lag.

I was able to shoot people through materials. The prime example is two tanks either side of a sharp crest of a hill. I can shoot through the crest of the hill which admittedly was not particulary thick and hit the enemy tank (and in fact, shots that penetrated enough to kill the other tank). Only a tiny sliver of the enemy tank was visible so I think it was going through the hill rather than deflecting ever so slightly and hitting the other tank.

you can definitely shoot through the crests of hill and the top log of the log piles. Its not because of ballistic trajectories, they just dont have fully modeled shell collision, or you are in fact shooting through them.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Subyng posted:

Having played different tank games of varying sim-ness (Red Orchestra 1&2, Darkest Hour, WW2 Online, random obscure Russian sims)
Would that sim be T-72: Balkans on Fire by any chance? :hfive:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh man the Ki-61 rules. I'm having a ton of fun with it and Japan in general

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Robot Randy posted:

Oh man the Ki-61 rules. I'm having a ton of fun with it and Japan in general

This is a good post. Japan owns so much.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I was really excited to get the cannon hein but it's so loving wobbly in a turn that hitting poo poo is really hard and 2-3 rounds flying it put me off it and I haven't touched it since :(

The Spit IX on the other hand is like flying a graceful, murderous bird :getin:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Grace is fine if you like that sort of thing.

I prefer to come screaming out of the sun behind a massive wall of lead and high explosives.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I prefer to come screaming out of the sun behind a massive wall of lead and high explosives.

So you enjoy flying German heavy fighters?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Fart Car '97 posted:

I was really excited to get the cannon hein but it's so loving wobbly in a turn that hitting poo poo is really hard and 2-3 rounds flying it put me off it and I haven't touched it since :(

It can dive at 700+ kph without a care, BnZ that poo poo son

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
It's funny how if you seriously want to maximize your win rate then :japan: is the way to go but overall they are the least played nation.

The only time I've ever felt like I was at a genuine disadvantage when playing Japan is on Midway.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

It's funny - when I first started playing in the closed beta, I thought "Man, this handling is so realistic - I go to turn at speed and the tank practically does a donut!"
What do you know, reality is unrealistic.*

bUm posted:

I think partial interiors might be okay. There's little to be gained for the cost for fully modelled interiors though as opposed to simply having (un)buttoned drivers/commanders view and gunsights (which they've confirmed historically accurate ones are coming eventually). With those five views (maybe six with a hull MG view), only the buttoned commander needs anything interior modelled (inside of the cupola, maybe some turret internals to not upset spergs about just having darkness below).

I agree - tanking in Red Orchestra was awesome and the restricted viewpoints made it claustrophobic, paranoia-inducing, and exciting. They could definitely get away with modelling only a portion of the tank - the only reason Red Orchestra modeled so drat much of the interior was for the animations switching between positions, and that wasn't necessary.

*At least relatively faster, cold-war era :sweden: crazy tanks. Most WWII tanks couldn't muster that much horsepower.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm working on the new OP right now, and I need GIFs and pretty screenshots. Also, any effort posts you may feel proud about!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hahhahahaha, I just played the 12x.50 B-25. I got a double kill by spewing out both ends, lol.

The full line of B-25s now really lets you min/max guns/cannons/bombs all day everyday.

:thesperg:

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Azran posted:

I'm working on the new OP right now, and I need GIFs and pretty screenshots. Also, any effort posts you may feel proud about!

Would you mind including a link to my preview, please? http://www.armchairgeneral.com/war-thunder-ground-forces-mmo-game-preview.htm The more traffic I get, the more inclined ACG will be to use me for more previews and to have me do more War Thunder pieces in particular.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Zsinjeh posted:

While talking cool Swedish tanks, I've always loved the Stridsvagn 103 or S-Tank. Instead of having a turret it adjusted its suspension like a lowrider to aim and could go hulldown almost to the point of being completely invisible to the enemy :black101:

*Also to be a spelling jerk, it's Stridsvagn not Stridsvagen

Yet not any sleeker than T72 that had a turret.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Azran posted:

Don't forget the best "pubbies are terrible" one:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Boy I sure love getting the RP bug.

All my RP got dumped into a 720 RP upgrade

Subyng
May 4, 2013

AceRimmer posted:

Would that sim be T-72: Balkans on Fire by any chance? :hfive:

Actually there's one called Tiger vs. T-34 (or the other way around) and Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942 (this one made by the same dudes that made T-72 though)

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Fly the Ki-61, holy poo poo

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Robot Randy posted:

Fly the Ki-61, holy poo poo

Can we get this quote in the OP? Not the image, just the text

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Azran posted:

Shine posted:

Immediately TK all bronies and say "No ponies" in global chat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Azran posted:

If you do, in fact, make the new OP, the following gifs and images are very important:

Repairing

Close shave

How to jet

L2P

Pubbies

Dat Pilot poo poo

Chivalry

Base Defense Mode

Get Faster

Luda-Yak

Punch Out

Prime Engines for takeoff

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I almost forgot this picture of the Ukrainian mounted pilot rescue corps

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just had a 10player kill 0 death game in the su-85 in SB.
Is the german 88 going to be the same as far the amount of OHKOs it generates?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yes. Yes. Yeeeeees. :getin: I'll put it for peer review tomorrow. I can always fill out gameplay details later (like charts about how to angle armour, etcetera), the important stuff would be helping newbies getting started - what not to spend Eagles on, differences between nations, etc.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Azran posted:

IMO keep the OP as simple as possible. All the .gifs and screenshots and videos and massive walls of texts relating to gun convergence and ammo types and BnZ tactics can be useful or funny but its a lot to dig through if you know nothing about the game:

You know planes, yeah? You know tanks, right? Well, War Thunder is a game that lets you play planes and tanks and all that. One day they might even add ships or some poo poo.

...and its FREE. :homebrew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq8dp3PQ22I

^ lol placeholders, obviously.

Do I need a joystick?
    NO, this game is extremely mouse friendly. You can literally point to where you want to go and the plane will fly there. The only time you 'need' a joystick is for Simulation battles, which are essentially 'IL-2: Sturmovik mode' in that it's the closest this game gets to being a hardcore flight sim. Otherwise, it's a pretty fun Michael Bay simulator.
F2P?
    This is a Free-to-Play game, NOT Pay-to-Win. There are premium options, but they only serve to skip the XP RP grinding.
MMO?
    Sorta. This game has a stupid RP (Research Points/Experience Points) grind system like most multiplayer games that have come out since that loving CoD4. You pick a vehicle and get tossed into a matchmaker that puts you in a round with similar planes.
What nation/planes are the best?
    Every nation owns. Seriously, there is no 'best' nation. They are all good at different things - for more info on that see below. USA is the most popular for obvious reasons. My advice is to just pick a plane you think looks cool and fly it.

Teamwork and communication are the only things that are genuinely OP in this game.

:siren: We use the CTS mumble. :getin:

GOON SQUADRONS:
    :s: [GO] Get Out
    :s: [GI] Get In
    :s: [WoL] Wings of Lowtax
    :s: [LAME] Losing and Making Excuses

Seriously just pick the planes you think look cool. This game is great in that 99% of the planes are viable (100% in arcade/sim battles). You can fly anything. You should fly everything.

If you're concerned with gameplay:
  • Russia is generally considered the best starter nation because they have the best biplanes and most diverse plane types at low Tier.
  • USA is generally considered the best Era II nation.
  • Germany is generally considered the best Era III nation.
  • All nations own at Eras IV-V and teamwork will absolutely decide victories overall across the board.

:911: Lots of ammo on lots of .50s. Allows you to take pot shots at people from very far away or switch from air to ground kills better than any other nation. Has the most popular bombers because .50s and large bomb loads. Has amazing diversity and the best premium tree featuring the most iconic planes from other nations (Zero/Spitfire/109). Overall, clearly the best tree if you plan on spending actual money on this game. The only downside to playing this nation is that it attracts bad players. If you're willing to deal with idiotic teammates then this nation is the closest you'll get to having a definitive advantage without relying on others. But teamwork is incredibly loving OP and is what wins battles so do not think you can rely on this alone.

:godwinning: For people who like fly high and go fast in swooping dive attacks then climb back to circle over their enemies like a hawk (this is known as BnZing or "Boom and Zooming", a tactic used by energy fighters. It is called this because you "boom" someone then zoom away before they can shoot back). Not for players that want to focus on turn fighting. There is only one turn fighter on the tree and it sucks unless you know what you're doing.

:ussr: Jack of all trades, masters of none. Their best fighters are capable of both turning and BnZing... but in order to get the most out of them, you have to know whether or not your enemy is a turn fighter or an energy fighter and play against their strengths/weaknesses. This is why Russia starts out as a good for beginners in the beginning but becomes one of the harder nations to play later in the game where other nations start to specialize in whatever niche they fall into. It's also why lists like this have to be made to save some new players some grief.

:britain: Even though literally ALL of the trees are good, this one tends to be the underrated and most ignored one. Spitfires are the 2nd best turn fighter in the game where basically the only time you're going to have trouble turn fighting against something is when you're against Japanese A6M# Zeroes or biplanes. Typhoons are basically British cannon versions of the P-47 Thunderbolt (an extremely popular plane because it owns) that are a little bit slower but turn a little bit better. Then you have Brofighters which have a poo poo ton of cannons that shoot forward for being such low level making it very popular amongst arcade players who only care about raw firepower. Like Russia, Britain is basically a "Jack of all trades" nation but their specific planes specialize much, much more in what they do to the point where they're actually secretly experts at it. But nobody cares because they won't play this nation as their first choice when new to this game.

:japan: Zeroes are hands down the best turn fighters in the game. But they're slow so the trick is to get people to turn with you instead of chase anyone down because you can't. You've heard of Zeroes, it's probably why you're even reading this in the first place. They're loving badass and you get more of them than you can count. This is the nation to play if you want to be a pro turnfighter zig-zagging through furballs without ever getting hit... because if you get hit, you die. Paper isn't a very durable thing to make planes out of. There are also very agile energy fighters on Japan that are able to switch from diving on people to turn fighting and are basically great at both. This tree also has the best bomber in the game for air-to-air kills, the G8N1 because it has cannons and is unapproachable due to its high rate of climb and overall cruising speed. This is what all the best bomber players fly but its worth noting that USA is the most popular choice for bombers for obvious reasons. Basically, Japan is IMO the best nation to play if you want to minimize the number of bullshit random variables to deal with and win matches via pure skill. It is not popular with new players but very popular with the ones that know what they're doing.

As for JETS, forget about them. I'm not trying to be mean, you're not missing out on anything. I promise. Jets are only in this game to serve very experienced players that have dedicated an insanely nerdy amount of time to a single nation and can afford expensive repairs. Many of us have jets in every nation but that just goes to show how [Lame] we are. My recommendation is to play all of the nations and try not to even think about jets until you have a plane in Era III or IV across the board. Assuming you actually play this game every day then months from now when its time to actually maybe think about which jet you want to pick, go back to the top of this guide and remind yourself to simply pick the one that you think looks the coolest. This is the absolute best way to determine what to fly in this game. Well that or just take advantage of the fact that you can test fly whatever plane you have available to research but keep in mind that every nation gets at least one amazing end-game jet that can compete against anything so don't even try to determine which nation has "the best" jets because they all own.

Each is fun in their own way. It's best to play all of them a bit.

Arcade Battles:
    A simplified cartoon mode for mindless fun. Allows air starts and multiple respawns. Teams are not divided up by nation so you can have a random group of planes each round. The flight models are relaxed to the point where you don't have to worry about stalling or overspeeding to the point that it will kill you. You can also reload in the air instead of having to fly back to your base and land like in the other modes. This is ideal for casual players and bombers that don't want to RTB (return to base) after dropping their bombs.

This mode is great if you want to just fly around and shoot stuff and not worry about dying because you'll have plenty of extra lives. There are still match objectives for one of the teams to win but it isn't really worth trying to min/max because of how chaotic the arcade environment is.
Realistic Battles:
    Originally 'Historical Battles' aka 'HBs'
    Intended to be the stepping stone from arcade to sim battles, this has instead become the competitive sperg cyber-athlete mode because it is still mouse friendly. No respawns - rounds play out kind of like Counter-Strike in that there's an objective that can be done but really most rounds are won by the last man standing. This is what the aircraft aspect of War Thunder centers around.

The way you fly matters the most here. Each plane has its own strengths/weaknesses. Teamwork and communication are OP. Tactics play a bigger part in this than any other mode, which is what the majority of this thread will be arguing about.

Play this if you want to win more often from skill and not chance.
Simulation Battles:
    Originally 'Full-Real Battles' aka 'FRBs'
    Joystick mode. This is for flight sim nerds. While you can use a joystick in the other modes and be at a disadvantage, using a mouse in Sim battles is hilariously unintuitive and will get you killed unless you're in a bomber that allows you to use tail gunners.

In terms of gameplay mechanics, this is just like realistic battles except you are limited to cockpit view only and nobody really takes it that seriously because more people are fighting their controls rather than each other. Despite the higher learning curve/skillcap, players tend to approach this mode casually and will just fly to the middle of the map and turn fight with each other at low altitude until someone crashes or gets shot down. Then occasionally you have that one cyber-ace that comes in and wrecks everyone's poo poo. :pilot:
Events:
    Events are usually an existing battle but the planes are limited to whatever was supposedly used there historically. This usually means that one side has a blatant advantage... but it is often very fun and a great alternative to simply que-ing random battles. There have been some great events in the past, like 'FLOATS!' where it was just a bunch of giant flying boat planes crashing into each other and bombing stuff. A popular recurring event is 'Guardian Angels' with an air start where a bunch of P-51s try to defend a group of AI B-17s against German planes and this sometimes includes a team of Me 262 jets.

Events change daily and will be played as one of the game modes listed above but have their own separate window in game.

Thief fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 28, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In all seriousness, listen to lowcard. All this inside baseball poo poo will just throw people off or mislead them or anger them or be as stupid as it obviously is. In this game you point planes at targets and kill them. Alternately, you point tanks at targets and kill them. Focus on that.

Look, the most important thing to put in about tanks is that Algebra II is basically required

I almost forgot how important upgrades are.

Some earnest player with no bandwidth is going to hate me :thesperg:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

In that case, add this to the OP:

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

mlmp08 posted:

Dat Pilot poo poo

:cripes: jesus. The pbf comic is coming true

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Thunderstruck.gif needs to be in. If Search was up I would link it, but I guess Shine decided to squat the server.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Artless Meat posted:

Thunderstruck.gif needs to be in. If Search was up I would link it, but I guess Shine decided to squat the search server.

That gif owns, but I'm mostly trolling. The OP should probably not be 45 mb.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

That gif owns, but I'm mostly trolling. The OP should probably not be 45 mb.

We need to outdo the 40k word Steam Thread op.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Griz posted:

Pz2 APCR ammo will also go through tier 1 armor like paper at typical tier 1 ranges, and someone who knows where to aim can get all your crew with half a mag or less.

The default belt is better against almost everything. The API will go through any Tier 1 Armor short the T-60/70 line and the HEF murders things with extremly thin armor (T-26 for example) super fast. Added bonus, you don't need to aim at all, unlike the APCR belt, just hover over the tank you want dead and keep the mouse button pressed until you see a plume of smoke or pillar of fire. It's that easy. :thumbsup:

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
So I just unlocked the first T-34 last night, but I didn't have a chance to play it until tonight. I...I think I'm in love. :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Dramicus posted:

They all make more lions across the board without exceptions.

In Arcade, sure. SB is the best part about tanks though, and premiums make less lions than non-premiums in SB.

• Locked thread