Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Start out with Russia as your first nation in order to get the special I-153 as well as the standard one. Pretty much every other nation's biplanes/monoplanes are going to be bowing at your 4 gun feet for a while. The Russian reserves also all have 4 guns which goes a long way towards giving you a giant boost out of the gate. The lower level Russian fighters aren't anything to scoff at (they give the earliest chance to get cannon besides the terminally slow A6M2) either since they can pack a rocket filled punch.

edit: Russia also gets the benefit of being the love of the developers; they usually get far better prices and hilarious attributes.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

I'm still kinda shocked at how much singleplayer/co-op content the game has. It seems to contain everything from Wings Of Prey + Expansion, plus a ton of new stuff like dynamic campaigns. You also get a few hundred Golden Eagles if you own the aformentioned earlier games in the series.

Wait, what?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

If you put your activation codes from Wings Of Prey and Wings Of Luftwaffe (I bought both on Steam) into your Gaijin account, you get 500 and 300 Eagles respectively. All the campaign content from both of those seem to be in here now.

Might want to have this added to the OP because Wings of Prey has been absolutely dirt cheap before. I think I picked my copy up for $2.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Elendil004 posted:

Finally unlocked the first bomber, the B-24, and it seems like it has a pitiful bombload. I've had the PBY for a few levels and that seems like a better bomber. Will the B-24 get better with experience?

It's a decent bomb truck but it lives up to its legacy of being an absolute dog to fly. Maneuverability is in no way a highlight of the model.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fauxtool posted:

Hold down ctrl or whatever is bound to pitch up. Look with your mouse where you want to go. As soon as the plane is fully inverted release ctrl and it will level out.

By default CTRL is bound to shooting rockets.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Stukas are pretty amazing aside from being about as maneuverable as a brick. The 20mm version has 1000 rounds in its mags. The 37mm version makes short enough work of planes that if you start firing before the 750m mark that youl'll kill pretty much everything head on.

In regards to random unit destruction, it seems to be on a timer so that the matches will end in some reasonable time frame. It's especially noticeable on maps that have battleships or carriers because they will start randomly exploding when they're the only units left on the field.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

Secondly, when some rear end in a top hat's behind you, pretend you're Maverick - hit the airbrakes, watch him fly right past you*, shoot him in the arse.

Unfortunately the 37mm models have the airbrakes removed.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Carrier landings are a complete bitch because the scale isn't correct and the traps don't/rarely work. I'm frankly amazed that I didn't slip off.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I seriously can't wait for the eventual deluge of US first-gen jet fighters that nobody has heard of because they had a service period of about six weeks before becoming obsolescent.

The power of many of the early naval jets was so low that they took off from carriers with their canopy open lest they lose power on takeoff and be forced to ditch.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Beaufighter is almost absurd in how it utterly murders in tiers 5/6. If I'm playing British most of my kills come through Beaufighters.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I just racked up 8 kills in my 5th tier IL2 because people are kept frontal attacking me. I kept killing their pilots.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I've started using landing flaps during turns and it's simply amazing. Sure you might be close to stall speed occasionally but there's no better way to make a nice set of pilot kills in a IL-2 than with landing flaps.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My only problem is I'm using a joystick in arcade mode and sucking, but I'm only Rank 2 with Rank 1 planes (Soviets, of course) and I'm totally not ready for Real Historical Battles (or even Historical Battles, for that matter).

You've chosen wisely. The early Soviet planes are some of the best.

Artless Meat posted:

I love when people go head to head with my IL-2, its like they aren't expecting the cannons or something :ussr:

My favorite thing is that people forget that IL-2s include rockets in their loadouts, meaning they usually get a face full of rocket if they still haven't died to my cannon.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Clarence posted:

Speaking of fuel, I've never tried it, but it appears that the amount of fuel carried can be altered. Is that true, and if so does the game take the difference in weight into account?

I don't think it takes it into account much. In arcade you never really run afoul of your fuel amount unless you've taken extensive enough battle damage that you have a massive fuel leak (which usually means you're about to crash anyways). In historical battle it's of much more importance because if you don't take a full load of fuel you'll have about 5 minutes of loiter/dogfighting time in fighters generally after a 10 minute flight to the combat area and a 10 minute return.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Port is really the easiest map for getting an incredible number of kills. The Beaufighter is a beast on it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I have no idea how people crash into the deck when trying to kill people on runways, it's just plain stupidity. With ground effect it's even harder to ram into the ground.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Thief posted:

Rank 5: Ju 88/S.79s. This rank gives you a bunch of good bombers to dick around with until you hit rank 6. The Ju88 can have 36x bombs loaded - it's fun to drop them all at the same time on lines of enemies. It makes a huge wall of fire. The S.79s are very, very agile.

I ended up occasionally going back to the HE-111 because it has two more guns than the JU-88 does.

Is there actually any difference between the two HE-111 versions? I can't tell.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
DLC planes also have the benefit of (generally) being a couple levels lower than their non-DLC counterparts. The cannon Typhoon is a great level 10 plane.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Illegal Username posted:

Giant fuckoff cannon on a decent fighter frame. What else do you need?

The 7b only has a 20mm cannon in the nose actually. But it does have rockets.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The funniest thing is rockets on attacker or bombers since they have much, much shorter reload time on them. The IL-2 has reloads of under a minute and it's simply amazing for killing people with rockets during frontal attacks.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I still have my old Sidewinder Pro that I don't think I've used since 2006. It includes the adapter to make it actually be able to use USB.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Evil Crouton posted:

What was broken about the Corsairs FM?

Climb rate was too high from what I recall.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Eltoasto posted:

:laffo: the hurricane 2 can now have 24 7.7mm guns. Not sure if it will be effective, but it will be hilarious.

What? No it can't.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Good god buying unlocks is absurdly overpriced. 200-250 eagles for a Tier 4 plane unlock is insane.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There's something wrong with the new cannon sounds it seems, they cause all sorts of audio dropouts.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

El Disco posted:

I can confirm that ramming does still award kills in certain circumstances. Not that we needed any encouragement.

Ramming is absolutely hilarious and a perfect way of taking out some Tier 10 DeathMachine with your lovely Tier 5 Paper Mache Plane. :colbert:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
They screwed up the Corsair model, now you're always dragging your hook behind you on an invisible line.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Is the second Boomerang worth getting? The first is hilarious.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 9, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Filthiest Alf posted:

how come it tells me i cant rearm my gun pods in a match? i bought ammo, i have auto reload turned on, but when i go to the armory screen and click on them it wants me to spend gold on 29 of... something. what's going on here?

You have to buy gun pod reloads like bombs, you manually go in and buy them from the secondary loadout screen in the hangar. Each reload costs 250 Stalinbucks so a full set of 30 will run you 7500.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

If you're good at killing shipping, you can make mad money. I routinely would make 60-80K lions every ten minute match in my Peshka back when I was playing mostly arcade.

That had to have been several patches ago because at most you'll get 1500 lions a ship these days.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I absolutely loathe A-20s because of how insanely fast they are while still carrying a bomb load. It's criminal is what it is.

edit: Took my British Hellcat out for a spin in HB. I ended up jettisoning my bomb load so I could dogfight. Got 4 assists and 2 kills and a giant payday of 105k lions for about a 5 minute match. Now if only rockets weren't fired in salvos in HB.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 11, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Many of the lower tier Russian planes have that exact same loadout: One or two machine guns with less than a thousand rounds of ammunition, a 20mm cannon with less than 300, and maybe the ability to carry a couple bombers or rockets. Since all the guns are in the nose its really just get lined up and watch 'em fall.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
109s are hilarious in HB if you're flying them, not so much for anybody else. Having the extra gun pods makes you a demon of the skies.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The funniest thing I've experienced in HB is taking a FW190 to what I thought was a couple bots flying near each other in clouds but was actually the entire enemy team flying B-17s. I got off one pass before getting instantly shredded.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

A_sound_plan posted:

The most Russian plane design ever to exist

This gentlemen is a Tupolev Tu-2 bomber with its bomb bay modified to hold 88 PPSH machine guns. It would strafe enemy troop positions and be generally awesome as gently caress.

One more image(potato quality)

quote:

Tu-2Sh
Experimental ground-attack versions. Two variants were tested in 1944: one with a 75mm (2.95 inches) centerline gun and another with a battery of 88 7.62mm (0.30 inches) PPSh-41 sub-machine guns fixed in the bomb bay, directed to fire ahead at a 30-degree angle. Another version under this designation was tested in 1946; this one had a frontal armament consisting of with two NS-37 and two NS-45 autocannons

The second version sounds amazing but I don't think the PPSH version ever got past testing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nitevision posted:

I get that you can BnZ pretty well if you climb up to like 6k in the P-47, but I don't see why I would take the ten minutes to do that when I could fly a 109 and get there in two and do the same thing even better

Plus you can get into 109 matches far quicker since Germany/Russia HB has lobby to game creation times of about 20 seconds as opposed to up 8 minutes for every other nation.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Pretty sure the Tu-2 was for being in the closed beta.

I have the TU-2 and I was never in the beta for it. You can get it from starter packs.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

jownzy posted:

This may be a dumb question, and I'm a steam novice... but I've put the game in the folder specified... how do I actually "buy the game" in steam. When I search war thunder and click the green play game button, nothing happens. I don't see it in my list of games. I don't see where the download even starts?

Restart your client and Play Game will work for downloading.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

So what was your user name? Also, I'm pretty sure that means once you change your name to something that isn't bad, you're back in.

His name is HUGHEJASHOLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Entire Universe posted:

gently caress Fockes. Za Stalina motherfuckers

Za Rodinu!

• Locked thread