Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The other main thing I would say to people who just start playing:

When you first start out, you'll usually be in old, WW1 style biplanes. They turn like magic, and when you're in low tier games everything is very intuitive and easy. Many players (myself included) will hit a wall once they get up a few ranks and the planes suddenly stop going exactly where you point them instantly, and some nations start getting away from turn fighting. This is normal! It will take you a little while to adapt to the "new" style, but once you've got it down, there won't really be any more huge curveballs coming your way.

Just don't give up because suddenly everything feels different and you don't know why you went from getting 12 kills a game to 2 kills a game for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

mlmp08 posted:

By default, they are separately bound, aren't they? I have left mouse as everything, 1 as mg, 2 as cannon and I don't think I set that up special.

Additionally 3 is bombs (I think) and 4 is Rockets.

I use 4 for rockets personally so I can rebind R to reload.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pr0phecy posted:

My joystick is broked. Can I play and compete at high levels with keyboard + mouse?

In Arcade, keyboard and mouse is considered to be the best choice. Historical joysticks work okay, and you'd want one for Full Real Battles.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I didn't know that either. I've got a copy of Wings of Prey kicking around here somewhere, and I wouldn't turn down free Hitlerbux.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Regarding those being able to enter Wings of Prey keys for gold, you can also just go to https://www.warthunder.com and click the Redeem Code key on the right and enter it like it's a promo code. At least I could with my physical, non-Steam copy, even though it doesn't conform to the format the field expects.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Space Jam posted:

I just started so I'm not very good but the game seems unaware of this fact.

Edit: Or it has a very loose definition of "Land"

You see at the bottom where it says your plane will be repaired in 2:05? Your plane touched down at a friendly airfield and was critically damaged to the point it couldn't fly (... obviously) but not enough that it just blew up like an action movie prop. That's basically all it takes to get soft landing. Sometimes you can even get it not landing at an airfield, though you won't get repaired.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well done. Cannons are really good at making use of a short period of vulnerability when an enemy exposes themselves, such as during a stall turn or when they try and cut inside you but before you roll up and over to follow them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You can also hold J to bail out of your plane if you don't want to just slam into the ground or something. I occasionally use it when my plane is so hosed up I can barely keep it in the air and I want to cheat someone who flew halfway across the map to try and finish me off out of a kill (though SOMEONE still gets kill credit for you).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ofaloaf posted:

What if there was an "Incomplete Objectives" penalty attached to a kill-all-the-players victory?

When have pubbies ever cared about objectives before? They'd get monetary gain as it is from attacking them. In HB, the teams are small enough and ground targets numerous enough that it makes no sense to try and win by taking them all out. How many trips would you have to take back to base to do that? Like 15? I dunno.

I think HB maps are fundamentally flawed, which is why they all devolve to Team Deathmatch. I don't really know how to fix that beyond changing the maps to have one big cluster of harder objectives with base-style HP bars and swarms of AI controlled bombers on both sides to distract the players. That'd at least make it so caring about ground objectives was a thing and that you'd have to actually worry about stuff beyond opposing players. Then again, you'd run low on ammo so many times you'd constantly have to RTB.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The trick to the premium Chaika (up to about tier 8, I guess) is to 1) remember your rockets for when someone inevitably goes head on against you and 2) don't use it as your first plane out. Once the giant circle-jerk at mid starts, you can basically fly in undetected and just rattle off 3 or 4 kills in a row. You're only really in danger when you're hanging out alone and people will BnZ you. If you can actually get TO the fight, you're a bastard to bring down.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skwee posted:

The last month box is unchecked on the bottom right

It still isn't including something, possibly stats prior to the reset when squadrons came out? I dunno. My stats are way off even with the Last Month box unchecked too.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Stats were the best part of World of Tanks, because they were always viable for starting an argument with pubbies. Pubbies subscribed to the theory that stats were completely random, and had nothing to do with how well or poorly someone played, only how much luck favored them in getting good teams. If you had a 42% win rate, you weren't criminally terrible, you just got stuck with people who were 58% of the time!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's probably an incendiary that ignites on impact rather than having any kind of fusing or delay in it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TerminalBlue posted:

Which means... what in game terms?

I might just be used to online games having stats that mean things, I'll admit.

Maybe it's just really good at lighting biplanes on fire?

In theory it would make it better for stuff like biplanes and hitting engines directly, but not as good at blowing up fuel tanks because it ignites on impact rather than penetrating the exterior of the plane and the tank before detonating.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

fermun posted:

I dont like any of the skins, far more prefer just going Polish checkerboard decal made huge:

how do you get it to roll down the side of the fuselage like that properly? I can get it to wrap around the wings and stuff, but not to paint more than just the top.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Feindfeuer posted:

Given how almost OTT they are going with weapon Models in the CoD:MW Series in terms of detail, its probably a fair guess that they are very accurate in terms of abilities e.g. ranges, (terminal) ballistics, recoil behavior etc. Which makes the CoD:MW Series something very special.

Yeah, a shotgun with a kill range of roughly 5 feet is pretty realistic in every way.

Oh wait, it's an arcade shooter that has nothing to do with realism.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Feindfeuer posted:

Same can be said about the biggest part of War Thunder, the one that always has players and no waiting time. That features unlimited ammo, a very abstract damage model, mid-air reload and a very brought interpretation of flight physics. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that part very, very much... but the screenshots we got do not realy allow for much interpretation beyond the fact that they look realy nice and it just weirds me out that people think that Gaijin will get us a new modern Panzer Elite (the old one) when we have zero info about gameplay and mechanics and we still see some rather weird behavior of some planes even in HB battles.

Clearly my sarcasm detector was on the fritz due to lack of sleep.

Yeah, if that's your point I pretty much agree. Though modeling tanks accurately would be about a hundred times easier than modeling planes accurately.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The obvious exceptions to the "not as good" Russian tier 3-5 planes are the premium Chaika with 20mm cannons instead of machine guns (also it gets rockets) and the IL-2 which can carry both 8 heavy rockets and 4 bombs at the same time making it a pretty ideal low level ground attack plane.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BadLlama posted:

I went with Russian and I got the Type 18 and just got the Lagg. Not doing too bad really but is there a trick to tighter turns? I feel like people are out turning the poo poo out of me in the Type-18

The type 18 doesn't really like the whole "turning" thing. It fights you a lot when you try and pull up, which means even keyboard turning doesn't help much.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

While trying to get my Japanese first win, I ended up stuck fighting a Hurricane in my Ki-45 ko. Because he had gotten on my tail while I was shooting a guy off the back of a friendly, I didn't have many options so I tried to get him to follow me into a tight turn into the side of a mountain. He didn't hit the mountain, and I was too asleep to think of other ideas, so we just sat there flying in a tight circle. He followed me around, not being able to get his guns on me and I was slowly gaining on him (mostly be being willing to cut my turns to the point my wingtip was just off the top of the grass). Finally he gets tired of that poo poo, breaks out of the turn into a vertical climb, presumably hoping he can fall down out of it on top of me. I just bank my turn slightly wider and roll in for a shallow pass and put a cannon round through his tail, taking him out clean.

At which point he spends the rest of the match calling me a noob human being for wasting his time flying in circles. :allears:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skwee posted:

So I somehow lit an enemy plane on fire with just a stock ammo rack (it has no incendiary ammo in it at all, i checked.) with just a few rounds of fire. I don't think it was an engine fire, but who knows..

Metal hitting metal will still cause sparks. Incindiearies are just more reliable.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Vax posted:

Wanna go into the Russians and thinking about the gold lion planes, so which one of the Russian planes is actually worth buying for real money?

The Chaika with cannons at tier 5 (the aforementioned I-153P) absolutely destroys at tier 5 and still does pretty well if you don't get too suicidal with it in tier 7 games. Above that, your lack of speed just gets you boom n' zoomed by some rear end in a top hat with enough cannons to blow your poor little bliplane out of the air before you can do anything about it. The P-39 Aircobra has 6 MGs and one giant fuckoff 37mm cannon. It isn't the most nimble plane in the world, but once you get used to flying it, that 37mm cannon is absolute murder. I wouldn't recommend the Ilshak with cannons, but I didn't like the Ilshak as a tier 2 plane as it was.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

By the same token, you can pay through a paypal transaction and avoid that entirely for no extra cost.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The H6K is a wide open canvas when using the pre-war camo, so why not put something the pubbies will enjoy when you shoot them down as a stationary AAA emplacement?

I am truly the classiest man.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me that the Wings of Prey people made a new game?!

I can't really tell if I am an Ace or everyone else is just terrible, but I'm having a blast.

If you input your Wings of Prey key in on the code entry on their website, you get a few hundred free gold.

It has been mentioned before, but I figure if you just got here it bore repeating.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My only 109 is the Japanese premium one. It flies around the sky like it's on rails and has pretty good firepower.

I heartily endorse it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So they're going all World of Tanks on this bitch. The gently caress. Crew lockouts, upgrade trees, shell racks being loving consumables.

You have a fun game! The solution isn't to go full Russian game dev on it. :argh:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rhopunzel posted:

Oh my god the loving rage when you come across the rare pubbie who thinks they're so loving clever for learning how to mouse spazz when you're on their tail. It makes me want to just crash into them and type "Spaz your way out of that" :fuckoff:

I had a guy rage at me because I flew up next to him and used my wings to roll him over like a buzz bomb when he was doing that. He nose dived right into the ground, I took some wing damage and kept on trucking. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rhopunzel posted:

Expanding on the H6K talk - it isn't totally useless if you don't get a domination. With the 2x 1000kg bombs you can pretty much single handedly destroy an enemy's base if no one pays attention to you, even moreso if the base is covered by clouds. I've won a few rounds that way.

The 2x1000kg bombs are also great for ground attack missions. The HE type ones take out a bunch of stuff with splash damage, the AP ones are great for those maps where there are fleets. In port, a pair of 1k kg bombs will sink a carrier fairly consistently, a heavy cruiser always, and anything less than that will usually go down with 1 bomb if you hit it squarely.

• Locked thread