Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Love me some WT. Currently rank
US 8.33
Ger 8.1
USSR 8.9
UK 7.8
Ja 6.33

Been getting ranks in japan recently because the ki-45s are actually fun

I usually like to energy fight, BnZ kind of stuff

Artless Meat posted:

The single most important thing to do: bind a key for acrobatic smoke.

Edit: vvvvvv didn't realize they added a default binding then. New single most important thing: change your smokes color to something obnoxious.

Change to wingtip magenta, put pink lady art on your wings for OP planes

Skwee fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

mlmp08 posted:

By default, they are separately bound, aren't they? I have left mouse as everything, 1 as mg, 2 as cannon and I don't think I set that up special.

Yes, that is default.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I love people who try to get in head ons with my in my beaufighter though, dont tell them to stop

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I've got a good one, this actually happened to me too.

I am on the tail of an enemy plane shooting at it and poo poo, and suddenly a friendly decides it is a good idea to go head on with the guy i am tailing and shoot loving rockets at it. Guess who the only person he hit was. Yeah, it was me.

Also get people going head on with people I am chasing all the time and hitting me with their guns, and occasionally their planes

Another tip, attack the ground units, what the hell is wrong with you? 3 air kills, and not a single ground unit? Not even an AAA or artillery? Point your guns at it for a second and press the trigger, boom it is dead, super simple stuff guys. If every person kills 3 ground units, then we have already won on most maps, it is seriously easy.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Dominic White posted:

'Butthurt' is an understatement. I've had people threaten to skullfuck me to death because they flew their tier-5/6 plane into me while playing chicken against my free reserve biplane. And this is an enemy I'm talking about, not a teammate.

I'm fairly sure the vastly more expensive, maneuverable, faster and better armed plane is the one expected to turn away in such an altercation, but what do I know?

Nothing is really more maneuverable than a biplane, so it is super easy for you to turn away

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Play with goons, or grab the clan tag and never get in mumble, it's whatever.

What about play with goons but not grab the clan tag

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Red Robin Hood posted:

I've been trying to play this thing with the Oculus Rift but my view gets all twisted. I tried to assign a key to straighten my view. Does anyone know how to do that?

I know the trackir has a key like that I think it is f12, but no idea about the oculus

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Still pisses me off that you can be the soul reason your team wins and be placed 10 in the score list. I went on lonely island destroyed the poo poo out of cargo ships and landing craft until they were all gone and we win, and all I get is 10th place, a score of 656, 11k xp, and 5.2k lions.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Feindfeuer posted:

That's what you get for going for the mission objectives on a map where those consist of low-value targets Skwee. Just bomb the destroyers, maybe the bunkers and leave the rest for someone else to grind down while you farm planes. Even if you lose, you'll still get more xp/lions out of it.
This, combined with the broken assist system, makes me believe the Devs don't want to see any actual teamwork during arcade missions.

Well, killing internet planes is still fun, so who cares.

Still prefer actually winning

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

i poo poo trains posted:

Just downloaded the game and already the games control scheme is loving confusing. My old-rear end Attack3 has always pitched up slightly, and in most games all I have to do is hit a button to correct it, but here there's about 5 different sliders and some nonsense bar with physical and logical axes and whatever on it. How the hell do I adjust the center point for pitch?

If you are playing arcade, it is probably better to just use mouse aim.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
What exactly does having vertical targeting set to yes change?

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Thief posted:

It basically makes your crosshairs point directly to wherever the bullet will be at the distance you specify.

Think of it as vertical gun convergence.

For future reference, anyone that wants to join the squad or is already in the squad and has questions/complaints about arcade mode should PM -GO- Burno in-game. If he doesn't respond it's probably because you are not typing in all caps.

Alright

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Needs one about not shooting rockets (or anything) when you decide to go head on with an enemy that is being tailed by someone already

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Can anyone post the differences between certain bombs (mostly an issue with japanese bombs..) There seem to be several kind of the same weight just of different names on the same plane, and I have no idea what the difference is.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Party Plane Jones posted:

By default CTRL is bound to shooting rockets.

S should be bound to pitch up.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

kalstrams posted:

Following is in effect only for bombs on Japanese planes.

Here you go. There is a simple rule, that will help you make sense and remember it all - 'mod' bombs are armor-piercing, and 'mark' bombs deal more area of effect damage. In the most basic scenario - you need to 'mod' bombs to kill ships, and 'mark' bombs are for everything else (as it is now, in patch 1.31).

Edit: Grammar and sensible image hosting.

Thanks man. Should mod be used on pill boxes as well, or will mark work just as well

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Thief posted:

The video recording is decent but the way the audio inputs are handled makes me not want to use it, especially since I'm always on mumble when I play.

The He 162 A-2's only rank 17, so I thought I'd use an appropriate skin.

Looks kind of like an A-10 in a sort of hosed up way

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Just had a hilarious thing happen to me in HB while in my 9T

I get a 109 on my tail who basically instantly proceeds to black out both of my wings, my fuselage, and my right aileron, and he also reds my left one. So basically I am screwed, but I manage to dodge around for a bit until he gives up and someone else decided to engage me (another 109.) he doesn't seem to have any cannon rounds left so he is plinking me with his little machine guns. I am still dodging around (basically swaying slightly from side to side, and going up and down a bit.) but this guy has more speed than me, and eventually he somehow manages to ram me, which sets him on fire giving me credit for setting him ablaze, and it doesn't damage me at all, at least nothing noticeable considering how hosed up i am anyway. He breaks off and then his pilot proceeds to die. Free kill. I hobble back to base and land, but before I repair the last guy on their team dies and we win.

Was wearing my awesome wings too

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Hope so, annoying trying to land on one with a plane that I know is capable of it (F4U) with stall speed perfectly hitting the lines and just rolling off the end of the drat carrier.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Bondematt posted:

I don't know if this is still the case, but several versions ago it was much easier to land on a carrier by just not extending you landing gear and gently grinding the poo poo out of your plane to stop.

It will say cannot repair critically damaged aircraft

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

TheRagamuffin posted:

Pretty much this. I've never failed a carrier landing by snapping one of my wings off on the observation tower. I've failed carrier landings many times trying to do them legit.

When I land and break poo poo in order to stop it just says Cannot repair critically damaged plane

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Why isnt it fixed that if you fire in short bursts your wings magically keep spilling out casings eternally until you shoot again

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Roumba posted:

According to the wiki on crew skills (http://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Crew_Skills#Visibility), which I think is written by Gaijin, Visibility is a useful stat.

Staying unseen for longer at higher altitudes as a bomber/BnZer, or being able to slip away easier in the clouds is pretty helpful. Even more so in HB.

Someone mentioned stacking all your planes into one slot for HB people, the only downside to that I see is that you lose out on the ability to have multiple planes free-repairing back to 100% so you are making points into repair rank and repair speed much less effective. Perhaps the benefits make my concern moot, but it's worth thinking about.

Oh my god. How did I not know this? loving description being misleading. I thought that it was like Keen vision effects your ability to see poo poo right in front of you (Large range.) and then visiblity effected your peripherals, like to the left and right of directly where your camera is facing.

lovely thing i made in ms paint to demonstrate what I thought:

So I thought the orange area expanded as you upgraded visibility, and the red area expanded with the keen vision, but the red area was always further distance than orange.

Now I know better I guess.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

AhrimanPK posted:

textwashere

I feel ashamed to have clashed with such a king of airplanes.

I wish I could understand the stats screen at all. What are the 3 different columns? Why arent they labeled gaijin, godamnit

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Artless Meat posted:

I believe the bottom is just the last month.

The last month box is unchecked on the bottom right

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Zaodai posted:

It still isn't including something, possibly stats prior to the reset when squadrons came out? I dunno. My stats are way off even with the Last Month box unchecked too.

the top is showing all battles I think and the bottom has 3 separate rows, the only one you can see is the arcade battles row

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
well the la-5 is fun.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

can anyone translate this for me? He was talking to me I think, since he was the last dude alive in a b17, i knocked his elevator out but he just kept flying the gently caress around and I ran out of cannon rounds, he was the last dude left on their team, while we had a bomber and 2 AI planes, so I just shoved my plane up his arsehole

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
me too. Thanks though

just did a full HB match on korea in my Kingcobra (I just got it, literally my first match and it is full)

was so loving fun, huge dog fight, didnt get shot at all, shot buttloads of dudes

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I love how much more stable the kingcobras are

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Eltoasto posted:

When was this changed? stealth fix?

I mean how much more stable they are compared to aeracobras, I only just got the kingcobra so idk how it handled before.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I wonder if visiblity affects the AI's ability to see you as well, like ground units and ships

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Just beat an La-5 in a dogfight with my kingcobra. It was a really long fight too, basically a lot of me doing high turns to stay inside and him being incompetent i think.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Thief posted:

Rank 4 Zero has cannons.

Russian Ishak (rank 3?) has rockets and a poo poo ton of ammo. And can climb to :lol: heights while out turning everything.

Rank 4 zero has giant pontoon and is slow as hell. good for fighting bi-planes though

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Bondematt posted:

But for the love of god do not let yourself buy anything.

I for one have spent over 100 on a ftp game because i was drunk and having fun. (World of Tanks, 50 on gold and 50 on a tank)

So I would follow this advice, don't buy poo poo while drunk

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So is the yak-3 any good, or

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So I somehow lit an enemy plane on fire with just a stock ammo rack (it has no incendiary ammo in it at all, i checked.) with just a few rounds of fire. I don't think it was an engine fire, but who knows..

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Opinions on US premiums? I am looking at the xp-50 or the spitfire for their bonuses, the 109 doesnt have as good of one.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

az posted:

Spit hands down, then 109 for lower tiers.

Heh, just wiped two of them out in my ko reisen in HB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Bruc posted:

Is there any way to tell if your bomber will have any kind of bombing reticle in HB?. I used the HE-111 H3 in a game earlier and it had one, but switching to a JU-87 later and it had no reticle making it impossible for me to hit anything. I like the low altitude bombers quite a bit but find the more traditional ones really boring generally, so it would really suck if they were all like that in HB.

If it is a level bomber it has a reticle, if it is a dive bomber/ attacker then it doesn't

• Locked thread