Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

king of the bongo posted:

Just kamikaze into it to win the drat match.

Thank you! Finally someone else of the same mindset as me. My friends and I have won countless extremely close matches because we rammed the last ground targets rather than wait for the bombers to do it and lose. And yet, despite typing for people to do it in chat, noone but us seem to actually be willing to be the divine wind that turns it from a 6-0 loss, to a 0-1 victory with our sacrifice.

I have another tip for everyone. Never trust a Stuka, and if you see it turn to go head on with you, do not accept the challenge. My friend has countless kills just by going head to head with pubbies in his cannon stukas and blasting both wings off with one shot.

And finally, in conjunction with the whole "don't be that guy who blasts a friendly's tail off to get the kill" I would like to add, don't be the rear end in a top hat who dives down and gets behind the plane that I am already chasing only to immediately get shredded by my MG and cannon burst that was intended for the target. Instead, just strafe him and blow past, don't get behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I had been hearing over and over about how the ME410 isn't that great, and had thus been avoiding the German twin engine fighter tier. I have to say that this is a pretty big mistake to make. On a whim I teched up to the DO217-N and decided to try it out. I have to say, while I love my hanger full of BF109s, I always start out with my DO217 and have an absolute blast. All I do is climb at the beginning of the match, and just start bouncing bombers and distracted pubbies before climbing and doing it again. Sure, the plane doesn't roll with poo poo, but its turning once rolled is decent, and I have noticed that a lot of pubbies just see that inverted triangle and love to swarm behind me as I lead them either into friendlies, or have my friends drop onto them once they take the bait. (having a full squad with voice chat really does give you a huge advantage)

I haven't tried the ME410 yet though. Does it behave similarly to the DO217, or does it fly completely differently and fly as poorly as I have seen some people say?

Edit: Well, those airbrakes sure will come in handy when pubbies are on your tail. Who needs to out turn the enemy when you can just throw the e-brake.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 8, 2013

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So just curious, what is the best way to make money in this game. I only ask because I am currently saving up for a particular plane, and just want to fast track my way up to it.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
At the moment, that isn't an option unfortunately or else I would.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I think that is the one that comes to Reading, PA for WWII Weekend every year and does rides.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Perestroika posted:

Landing on a carrier gets easier once you realise that the tower can serve as a braking aid :v: :

I like the round of applause you are getting from the bridge.

Apparently, you need to apply your brake in order to use the tow hook, or something like that. I personally find it easier just to land on an enemy tank rather than on a carrier and it gives me far more experience.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So where are you guys. I have been playing constantly and have yet to see a single Get Out member. I have been seeing a lot of Redditors though. Is it because I mainly play arcade?

I would join up with the goon squadron but I am already squadroned up with several of my train simulator friends. I am just surprised that I have been playing as much as I have been and have yet to see a single goon.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I found out today that pubbies really don't like it when you and three friends squad up in H6Ks, then spend the entire map bombing stuff while talking about the yacht club in all chat. Also, flying a formation of H6Ks seems to be a death trap for enemy fighters.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I finally got the first FW190 and holy crap does this thing wobble at high speed. I just performed what I thought was going to be a perfect strafing attack across the rear of a Wellington, but lost all maneuverability and crashed into the back of the bomber.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have discovered that the H6K is amazingly fun in domination. All you do is land on the airfield and turn into a manned triple-A. Nothing like capturing the enemy's airfield, shooting down 3 planes, watching 4 others crash into the ground after they fail at strafing you, all while you are a gigantic fireball on the runway that will not die. The last match I did this, my plane burned away just as I got repaired and respawned right in front of the airfield so I proceeded to plop my fat rear end back down again just as the match ended.

I can't wait to try this with 3 other H6Ks at the same time. Oh, and the H6K stops almost instantly as soon as it touches down, no matter the speed.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
What I do is shoot at about 1k, just above the plane, then when the targeting indicator pops up I break and begin my bank so that by the time the enemy is past me, I am halfway through my banking turn. Or you can grind up to the JU87 G class cannon stukas and laugh as morons go head to head with your murder cannons.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So does anyone have any tips for bombing with the Wellington in HB? Also, does anyone else have a problem with it where it wants to pull up all the time?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Also, if you are flying an H6K, just mash that belly right into the runway and you will stop very quickly. Do this on a domination map, especially the enemy's airfield, and turn yourself into a gigantic flaming AAA cannon that will not die before the repair timer ends. Then you will be respawned in the air all lined up for the runway just so that you can do it all over again.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
For the most part yes. Sometimes you will get thrown in a bit higher due to matchmaking messups, but it is based on aircraft tier, not player or nation rank. I currently have my setup hanger wise of Germany for 10-15 tier, British for up to 5 tier, and low tier I use Japanese due to the H6K supremacy and I almost never get thrown in against overly high tiered planes.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
You guys don't know how much it warms my heart when I read about you guys using the H6K-AAA tactic to such success. I have been flying Japan for quite a bit recently as exclusively bomber, and the first thing I do on every domination match is to park its fat rear end right on a runway and get accused of hacking since ramming me doesn't bring me down and their MGs are useless. And the best part is that you don't even have to land like a normal runway since the lack of landing gear makes it stop almost instantly.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Aim for the cockpit glass from the front. Also, it all depends on the bomber, and where its turrets are. The most important thing is that if you see something called and H6K, the best way to take it on is to position yourself a little above the planes tail and just sit there not moving so you can sacrifice your planes soul to the great flying boat. In all seriousness, ignore the H5Ks, they will eat you.

Really, just learn where certain bomber weaknesses are, such as the HE111 having a sweet spot on its rear that the guns can't hit you full force. Also NEVER stand still when attacking a bomber. You always want to make yourself as difficult of a target to track as possible and keep turning back in towards it for another pass until you eventually kill the bomber watch some pubbie ram into its wing and deny you the kill and maybe even the assist.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Feindfeuer posted:

I guess someone wants to boost the survivability of hit H6K, so don't listen to him. H6K are blind and helpless against attacks directly from below and from above just avoid exposure to the sides and back of the plane or keep them to a minimum, like a fast dive past it. That way you can slowly chew away at that delicious XP pinata without it having any chance to retaliate as it's even slower and more cumbersome than the other bombers.

Yeah, but I do stupid stuff in my H6K in historic such as realizing that a bomber was going for my airfield and that if I landed I would probably be bombed before I took off again so I turned around and maneuvered so that I plopped myself .3km right in front of him and unloaded into his face with my 20mm. That and pulling up sharply if someone attacks from below so that I can at least hit them once with the AI gunners. Most pubbies just file in behind the thing though. The only issue that I have had is when someone is smart and dives down on me. I don't get very many hits on them, but they do hit me. The problem is that at T3 matches, there isn't much that will kill an H6K quickly and it soaks up a poo poo ton of damage. The only time I was shot down with it in HB so far was when Flak got a lucky hit on my elevator and I was stuck in a slow death spiral for 5 minutes.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Oh man, I just upgraded all of my 109s to gunpods and suddenly they fly pretty much the same with only a slight loss in manuverability, but they have gone from my best plane with 2-3 actual kills per match to a murder machine. I am in love with them. I am averaging 6-8 kills per match now. Minen superiority.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Edit: Whoops. Should have refreshed the page before replying to what I thought was the last post.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 8, 2013

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Grumio posted:

Once the game quietens down a little, or if the situation on the ground is critical, load up some ordnance next time you're at the base.

How do you choose new ordnance when you are back at base?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So just out of curiosity I went to the patch discussion thread on the Warthunder forums. Boy is that a seething pit of rage. Are they upset about things such as lag spikes or other buggyness? Nope. They are pissed because this game is now "pay to win," they can't paint their planes the way they want anymore so now premium is a scam, and they had to pay a poo poo ton of money to upgrade their existing planes which is something I doubt that they will even care about in 2 weeks when they have forgotten spending that money.

I might just be biased because I blew a crap ton of lions to upgrade my BF109s into murder machines, but whatever. I am just annoyed, though not surprised, that there is like one or two posts talking about bugs or issues such as lag spikes, audio glitches and the Hispano overheat issue, to ever 20 posts whining about how they had to upgrade their plane and that it isn't fair that they have to grind the LA5 until it is good. My favorite quote that I saw, though this is in game, was "I chose Russia because I wanted to be OP, not because I wanted to grind. This is loving bullshit." after I bounced him with my BF109 while he was flying straight and level.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have decided to start flying the A-20G in Historic. I have to ask though, what would be the best ammo to take for its cannons and defensive guns? Right now I am running universal.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Vahakyla posted:

A b29 and a b36 side-by-side. Remember, the B17 was a little smaller than the B29.

This is an interesting picture since that B36 shown doesn't have the jet engines that gave rise to the "four burnin' six Turnin'" description of it. I think that this would be pretty cool in game.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have decided to start getting into HB with my BF109s and I tell you what, I have been missing out. HB with the 109s is a blast. I just wish that I could make the FW190 work for me. I have tried it several times and I just can't make it click. It just feels very wobbly so I miss stuff, and at speed its control surfaces are very sluggish compared to the BF109.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I decided to ignore the enemy fighters in my BF109 on the Bulge map and have some fun attempting to kill one of the B-17s. Holy crap was that fun. I hit the formation head on and scored a crit on the lead plane before rolling over under the formation and coming up under another bomber and then started to bring myself around and set myself up for another pass. During this time I watched as two of my allies parked themselves behind the formation and promptly get shot down. Anyway, I then dove down onto the tail of the rear plane shot out two of its gunners and damaged two of its engines before rolling over and flying within a few feet under the bomber and split Essing away and setting myself up to repeat this again. On my third pass I got the satisfaction of seeing that bomber losing altitude and trailing some smoke as it fell out of formation. Then the match ended because the enemy lost all of their planes which was kinda disappointing.

I guess what I am saying is, people need to fly more B-17s in formation. I understand that these were just AI planes, but it was extremely fun to take them on and reminded me of the bomber intercept missions form Combat Flight Sim. I wish that Gaigin would create some sort of match that was bombers vs fighters because that would be extremely fun.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So gaijin is basically giving 100,000 lions out to everyone who has the JU88 today. It took me less than an hour to get the 100 ground kills in it, especially since I kept rolling sicily.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Quickpull posted:

Also imagine getting dropped in a game with tanks 6 ranks higher than you, and your gun isn't even capable of damaging them, while they can one shot you. Again WoT in a nutshell.

Don't forget that you have to grind that tank that can't damage anything to get the next tank. Oh, and also, each time you die, you have to wait until that match is over before you can use that tank again. WOT really is a horrible game.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So what is the difference between the two P-47s?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Account_Username posted:

I just unlocked this monstrosity:

It's just so ridiculous looking, and it has 5 loving turrets. :stare:

Welcome to the Yacht club. Your complimentary bottle of pubbie tears is waiting in the cabin. Just remember, if you see a bomber heading towards the airfield that you are going to be reloading at, just turn around and position your rear end right in his face and let loose with that 20mm stinger. Twice now I have been accused of cheating by not using my plane as historically intended by doing this tactic to enemy bombers.

That and, as was stated above, if you roll a domination map, park your rear end on a runway and become an AAA battery that cannot be rammed.(but they will try, giving you kills if you clip them with a bullet)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, with the Beauford and the Blenheim I just scoot along the ground and bomb the tanks as I fly over them at high speed.

Edit: Does anyone know what the latest patch does?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have started flying Japanese fighters, rather than just running entirely bombers, and while I like the Ki-61, I can't make the Zeros work for me for some reason. I don't know what it is, but it feels like I am always getting bounced in them.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am really enjoying the Japanese planes. The A6M's are fun, and the Ki61s are great. I get lots of hits on enemy planes, and several assists. I almost never get a kill though. I just can't seem to finish the job no matter what I do. Right now I am playing arcade, but I am thinking about taking a zero into HB to fly around for a bit. The problem is that none of my zeros have unlocked any sort of ammo yet.

Also, does anyone have any tips for keeping the Zero's speed low enough to be manuverable? I keep entering a dogfight with way too much heat and end up messing up my initial assault because my speed is too high.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

treizebee posted:

I actually had an enemy pubbie yell at me for shooting him down. Because I had apparently disgraced the honor of a teammate who took out his elevators...This was in the midst of a 4 plane furball dogfight...in Historical...

I do this all the time. If I get hit hard by a BF109 that has been hounding me for 5 minutes only to get my wing blown off by a Yak9, I will normally say something in all chat like "wow, what an rear end in a top hat. I had lost all of my control surfaces and the kill was definitely yours and that douche just came in and stole it. What a horrible kill stealer. You should kill him."

Several times now I have managed to entice the guy to go teamkill the other player. The rage is quite hilarious.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

jownzy posted:

Finally put my gift A-26 Invader into service, looking at the 2x2000 lbs it has.

Got it like my first week playing, left it on the bench the whole time.

1.) Figured it was a gift plane it'd come unlocked.
2.) Figured a "bomber" would actually come with bombs.

I was wrong on both accounts. Default loadout contains no bombs. Need 80k experience before you get any (500 lb). Should be real easy to do at level 15.

So how is it? You don't know how much I have wanted that plane ever since I saw it, but sadly I will probably never be able to get it.

On another note, I finally got my B-17E and I am absolutely loving it. I finally rolled a HB that wasn't Korea(not that I have been doing too bad in Korea once it is safe to get low to the deck), Anyway, I got Berlin and spent the entire match smiling as I dropped bomb after bomb onto those delicious small pillboxes. The first run was high altitude, but the remaining 3 were low altitude because they were down to two planes. Anyway, it is just me and a fighter versus two 109s. I have 8 bombs and we have 8 targets. I pop 4 of the boxes and my ally gets shot down. Thankfully I think he damaged the two 109s just enough that they couldn't bother me, but it was really tense lining up and bombing those last 4 boxes, especially because I had to make 3 passes just so I was assured that my bombs would hit and kill. Nothing like getting 80K lions for the win though.

Overall, this thing seems to either take a beating, or die horribly. I just need to get better at landing it. I tend to bounce it off the runway, sometimes enough to snap off my gear when it comes down for the second bounce. I come in nice and smooth, but sometimes I just start dropping too fast for my liking and I have to jam the throttle, and cut it again. At least it survives the belly landing and repairs though.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 23, 2013

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

StashAugustine posted:

e: can you not kamikaze? I was going down and tried to ram a destroyer but I just bounced off it.

Destroyers seem to be difficult to Kamikaze. If you drop a bomb before hand, your plane seems to be able to multiply the damage, but just ramming it barely seems to scratch it. Other ground targets on the other hand are easily rammed. I love winning a match because people actually listen to me for once and ram their planes into the 4 remaining ground targets with me and we snatch victory from the enemy.

Edit: So I just had an interesting thing happen in Historical. So after successfully bombing, and getting bounced by an FW-190 which I shot down, I managed to slam my elevatorless B-17 into the runway(it would have repaired if not for the fire. Lack of landing gear and elevator sucks), but as I made my approach, I saw some idiot AI plane taxiing around the runway. Not sure if it was a pubbie or an AI since the name wasn't showing up, I took a pot shot at the plane and killed its rudder. I then spent the next 5 minutes watching this plane driving around the landscape like it was going on an adventure. When I left the enemy only had one plane left, and our team only had one plane beside this AI. Boy is that German player going to have fun playing hide if he shoots down that allied plane. We were winning on the ground, so if he doesn't get it in time, our troops should be able to win the match.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 26, 2013

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Gamepad user here. I use my gamepad in arcade as well as historic with no real issue. It just takes a bit of getting used to, particularly rudder wobble if you get a little too happy with it. I have tried mouse and keyboard and managed to fly the plane right into the ground.

Anyway, I have been a fan of rank 4 British, especially with the two Boomerangs, so I decided to drop just a bit more money and grabbed the Havoc and the Wirraway. Man I love these planes. I mean, I loved the US Havoc, but this one is even more fun since it didn't lose its bomb sight. Last match I was down to one engine, and still managed to scrub the six of a HE-111 pilot and go on to bomb more targets.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am thinking of switching from using my 360 controller and using Keyboard and mouse. Anyone have any tips.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 2, 2013

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I decided to try flying in a biplane match with it and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, even though I was right on the rear end of a Val. It would be different if the dot caused the crosshair to actually go to the dot rather than having it get partway there and give up. Maybe I don't have the controls set up properly, but I really don't like mouse aim.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

The Entire Universe posted:

Fly British planes.

I was. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Man, I love the Mustang MK1A. It was my first premium plane, and it dragged me way too high when I first started flying Brits so I stopped using it. Then I got the Spit IX and XVI and I just didn't fly them properly. Then I flew US for a bit and figured out how to fly better, and, on a whim, decided to break out the Brits again in higher tier, rather than just running in rank 4. I didn't know what I was missing. The Spit IX is fun, though it is a bit weak right now with no upgrades, and the XVI takes some getting used to, but is pretty fun. But the Mustang MK1 is where I shine.

I love its razorback canopy, and quad cannons. It may not have the Merlin engine, but it still flys quite well. I was just in a match were I decided to escort the 3 bombers since they requested it. I climbed up to bomber altitude, and a bomber flew over me in the fog. I quick 180ed and was right on its tail, its gunners missing me. I fired one quick burst as a test fire and killed the gunner and the pilot, earning me a kill. (not sure what the bomber was, I wasn't paying attention.) Then I flew a back to the tail of our B-17 when I spotted an enemy B-17 right below me. I dropped in behind him, and while I was still 6 high, I fired two bursts at his wing root. I was still a bit out of my convergence range, but I had to laugh as his two right engines burst into flames. Somehow this didn't create a giant pubbie flare of kill stealing, and I got that kill. I then went on to kill one more fighter with a snapshot before I stupidly went head on with a pubbie named "ramandragequit" in a P-40 and we both tried to climb out of the head to head and hugged each other. The nice thing: The pubbie then flipped poo poo at me about how I needed to not be such a wallet warrior and learn to fly before rage quitting, so I guess he lived up to his name.

tl:dr Get the Spitfire MK1A, you won't regret it.

Edit: You know what is funny about pubbies bitching about ramming. The amount of WWII dogfight art and model kit covers that portray some US plane with a bit of it wingtip missing and trailing debris, and a Zero or 109 in the background with its wing torn off.

• Locked thread