Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

jadebullet posted:

So just curious, what is the best way to make money in this game. I only ask because I am currently saving up for a particular plane, and just want to fast track my way up to it.

I'm finding I'm making the fastest money in HB at level 10+. Shoot down one plane and don't die and its 50k

I fly Brit and am pretty outmatched in my Tempest against the N1ks and the Doras but it's still fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Why did no-one tell me the Spit IX is amazing in HB. It's heaps better than the Tempest

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just died in a historic battle when someone shotdown a spotter 5k above me, it spiralled down and hit me as I was passing underneath =(

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

japan is a loving terror in Historical Battles, I hate going up against them more than the Germans.

The georges rule high up and can outclimb/run almost anything else, and then the zeros destroy below them.

On another note, I am really loving historical battles nowadays. Getting kills is so satisfying, and you can pull some crazy stuff out of the bag

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The matches seem to be a lot more balanced now.

Does anyone have the climb best rate / best angle speeds?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Thanks!

Also the 109K outperfoms the Tempest in everyway eh, turn, speed, and climb. Not sure what to do against them

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Nitevision posted:

http://youtu.be/5Uxuajrb5IQ

These were a fairly sick trilogy of HB dogfights. Pilot is in a 109 F-4. He has annotations describing what he's doing in terms of maneuvers and why

This is really cool

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Is it me or do Hispanios still really suck in Historic Battle? Quick snapshots seem to do virtually nothing to enemy fighters, even Zeros, and I can sit behind a ME410 or a bomber all day and unload on him

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I spit-s under him when he gets to about 1.3kish

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Joystick controls ain't great in HB either, I just use a mouse.

Apparently if you spend a lot of time tweaking you can improve it though

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Does anyone have any advice for configuring a joystick in this game?

I just tried FRB tutorial and could barely take off, after about 8 tries. I just seem to be all over the place.

I've played pretty much every flight sim ever and not had this problem (Warbirds, Aces High I and II, WWIIOL) - it's a shitload harder than actually flying a plane around is

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Playing against Japan in HB is horrible

I pretty much play exclusively Brit and the Zeros are almost as fast as a Spit IX, start in the air so they come in at the same level as you, and out-turn you handily. And then then N1Ks are better than you in everyway.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Brits in HB suck - they get one good plane, and thats the Spit IX, which is tier 10, which can be outrun by all the 109s except the E model, it's still good though.

The Spit II/VB/XIV all suck horribly. The Typhoon IB is ok since it has good guns and can catch a 109F on the deck, but it can't climb or turn.

The Typhoon is a joke, at T16 it gets creamed at anything it goes against.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

mlmp08 posted:

MK XVI owns so hard. MK I Mustang doesn't fly well but has good guns. MK IX is pretty good. MK Ib is tricky but OK.

The XVI has a shitter climb rate and speed than the IX and gets placed into even tougher matches, and the Mustang is a (poo poo) premium

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

kalstrams posted:

You've got it wrong. Source: Level 18 Japanese pilot.

I thought the map they are vs Brits they start in the air if they are army fighters

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I can't my joystick working properly for the life of me, and it works fine in Aces High, WWIIOnline etc

it just feels 'off' here

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Thief posted:

You can buy and fly any premium plane regardless of rank. 109Fs are usually rank 7 and can easily hold their own up to rank 11 or even higher. You'll max it out anyway, 109s own.

If you're buying a USA premium plane, I would recommend the Spitfire. It's the best premium plane in the game right now and lets you play a turn fighter as USA.

Yeah the 109F is ridiculously low ranked for how good it is

Actually I think all the 109s kinda are but the F is the most obvious

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Russian planes are kind of sucky in HB

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Nitevision posted:

Yeah, I bet it actually took a lot of work to make the Yak in the video start to act like all the other planes in the game. That's the root issue. The separate special Russian team seems to have different constraints and principles guiding their damage/flight model development. Whether it means OP Russian planes or weak ones, the discrepancies might be as annoying to the lead devs as to players.

Tangentially, has anyone found any attacker-role planes in the game that get short reloads, besides the Il-2?

Beaufighter

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

El Disco posted:

The Fw-190 A-5 can add 4 20mm gun and the 190 F-8 can add 2 30mm guns.

jesus christ

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Another 400mb patch just landed, anyone know whats in it?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Hispanos got a loving huge buff it seems

at least in HB

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

MrOnBicycle posted:

So how do I counter Spitfires in my 109? They climb faster, turn faster and in a dive they are just slightly slower so you have to go in a straight line and slowly go away or they catch up. What am I doing wrong? Granted I just got bounced by a tier 10 Spit that had climbed to 7k+ but the Spit V's are still slightly better than my 109F in every way. Especially now that I have cannon pods to even match their armament.

The SpitV is simply dreadful, unless it got a major buff recently. You should be able to outclimb, outdive and outspeed it in a 109F, and even without gunpods you have similar armament since the GE ammo is so good.

Spit IXs are another matter, however. I think you can outdive and outclimb them still, but not by much at all. They are 3 tiers higher than you though!

Alctel fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 12, 2013

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Captain Beans posted:

What are some planes that have no effective torque when flying? I'm trying to tweak my joystick FRB settings.

I think the P38 has counter-rotating props so no torque

Grumio posted:

Twin engined fighters?

most props turn the same direction so they still have torue, except the P38

Alctel fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 13, 2013

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Most damaged I've been in HB and still made it back

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Man the Spit IX beats the crap outta the XVI.

I've got both fully upgraded and the IX is faster, climbs better and turns better than the XVI, and is a level lower to boot!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Regards the XVI vs the IX, the XVI according to the stats climbs slower, turns wider and is slower in level flight, and it feels that way as well in flight (I've got both fully upgraded).

Its slightly better in the roll and the 2 50's are nice, but I'd say the IX is definitely better

edit: this is all in HB

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just got my first Jet, the Metor M3

After trying it out in HB imagine an aircraft making the sad trombone nose, forever

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Is anyone else having weird micro-stutters since the last patch or is it just my connection?

I just had a HB where I was right on the 6 of a FW190 and as I pressed fire it hung for half a second and then I was upside down 50ft off the deck :|

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

How are you guys getting outdived by Spitfires, anything from an F4 upwards outdives my XIV and can outrun it in level flight as well (maybe not the F4 for this but it's drat close), more so for the FWs.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Famethrowa posted:

Curious as to how to handle throttling with Americans. I intuitively know how to cut throttle when flying turn fighters, but energy fighters are still difficult for me. Am I doing right only cutting throttle when looping/when I absolutely have to turn?

I'm trying to figure out what is different between my 9 kill British matches, and my 1-2 kill U.S matches. Got some good advice about being a vulture, but I keep getting burned mid-swoop.

I pretty much never cut throttle in a turn flight - you are bleeding E horribly when you do that and you might just get enough extra turn on one turn to get a burst off, but if that doesn't work you are pretty screwed

e: this is in HB

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Bunleigh posted:

So if I want to fly a torpedo plane I just have to stick one in my lineup and wait for a naval map to come up.

Most planes that carry torps can also carry bombs, and you can switch on the spawn screen

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I tend to use most of my gold for crew stuff

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah I just got the FW 190 A-5. Flying it stock is just.. painful. Will it get better? At least the 109's can put up a good fight even versus Spit IX's.

Edit: The I16 is pretty godly in HBs. Just stay low, let those 109's and whatnot waste all their altitude on trying to boom you. Then just outturn them and win. Their greed will kill them.

In HB you can outrun, outdive, outroll and outgun spitIXs, and your zoom climb is better. The Spits can outclimb in sustained climb and outturn you, it's actually pretty even.

If you get caught with less energy though, you are totally hosed unless you can evade by rolling and get enough of a lead to outrun them

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I played a historical last night with the premium P-51 and it was vs Japan and all they had were zeroes. It was so fun because I was just diving on them and getting some shots in and then climbing away and there was nothing they could do do catch me. Shot down 2 zeroes and a G5N and made about 95k lions. It's too bad that they're only really fun to fly against Japan because Russian and German planes climb better, shoot better and dive better than everything you have.

Russian planes are really bad at climbing I thought

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Longtiem posted:

So I was kinda doubting the 37mm on the aircobra was any good so I fired a single cannon round into an ally yak 7 at 200m and it blew him apart into 5 different pieces so uh, woops.

Unrelated, I think BnZ, and consequently the famous energy fighters of the day, are kind of weaker than they would have been back in the day. In arcade, the general flying is much more smooth and fast, so that hurts them there, and in historical the giant outlines on friends and allies really makes it hard to "sneak attack" dudes or swing in behind them on their six at 500kmh and pop em before they notice you. The entire plane strategy is kind of nullifed by glancing 6 o clock high every so often, because youll be lit up like a christmas tree. Likewise, all planes have perfect 360 degree field of vision in historical, even bombers, so diving on them loses the element of surprise and allows them to turn into you more easily. Sure you catch out idiots but you would have killed them in any other plane anyways, because they're idiots. Diving into turns trying to lag them into your crosshair is a bad idea anyways, since the shot is hard to hit and you're bleeding your energy that is your only advantage.

And yeah I would do FRB but if i buy a joystick my girlfriend will never let me live down being such huge nerd :negative:

BNZ rules the roost in HB

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I've been playing a lot of Japanese in HB recently and I don't fear the US fighters at all, but my god, trying to down the B-25 in the first Zero is a terrible idea

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Yeah I think Japan is currently the best nation in HB right now, lower tier fights people LOVE to get in turn fights with your zeros, and in higher tier play they get the N1Ks which own.

I'm not sure how you guys are having problems with them :|

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Google Butt posted:

What plane/country would you all recommend for a party of players who have been doing pretty okay in arcade tier 6/7 who want to try some hb's?

Edit: maybe that first zero?

Probably Japan, just watch the ammo if you use the first zero. The plane that is at 6 is pretty good as well, the army one with 4 .50s, it dives like a fucker

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Not really sure which crazy universe you guys are living in that the N1K is better than the F8F or Spit MkIX! They all climb and turn better.

Dunno about the F8F but against the SpitIX the N1K is a great match, it accels better, dives better, rolls way better and is heavier armed, and I think it can also out-turn the spit with flaps. It can force them down into the maw of zeros below fairly easily.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just use the standard M+K and don't have any problems, I'm not sure it's actually possible to spin in HB unless you get damaged

• Locked thread