Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I still cry when snail girl goes away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

I still cry when snail girl goes away

darn it now youve sent me on a feels trip

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Nishio just released an entirely new (I think) book series: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4062192020/
And I'm just a third through his last book. Never catching up with his releases. :(

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Nishio just released an entirely new (I think) book series: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4062192020/
And I'm just a third through his last book. Never catching up with his releases. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zzGPpju9vs

----------------

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUqBM-Y4r9Q

RIP

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Tsukimonogatari anime is in production!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What does it say?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Grouchio posted:

What does it say?

...it says the Tsukimonogatari anime is in production.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's pretty much confirming that it's going to animate the First Part of the "Final Season" for the Monogatari series... which is bullshit because Nisio has obviously grown way too comfortable with the Monogatari setting.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder when we should expect a release? Next Summer or Fall perhaps?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Grouchio posted:

I wonder when we should expect a release? Next Summer or Fall perhaps?

Nekomonogatari aired 3 months after it was announced. Hanamonogatari, almost a year.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Stink Billyums posted:

Nekomonogatari aired 3 months after it was announced. Hanamonogatari, almost a year.

and kizumonogatari lives on in our hearts and souls

----------------

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
I wonder if they're going to do a "Final Season" like they did with Second Season, or if every arc would be separate. I could imagine the rest of Monogatari airing similar to how Hana did. Personally, I really enjoyed being able to sit down and marathon through one arc in about 2 hours.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Well, I finished reading Zoku-Owarimonogatari, at long last. It was weird. Nishio calls it a "bonus book" that you don't have to read. Reminds me of the ".5" volumes of some other series, or "gaiden" books in general. Reasonably enjoyable, but inconsequential in terms of overall storyline.

Grouchio, you can PM me questions, I guess, but there's an entire summary posted elsewhere, so I'm not sure why you need me.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

and kizumonogatari lives on in our hearts and souls

:sigh: We do not talk about Kizumonogatari. It is a myth, and it will never come out.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

Big news from the party boat, people.

Tsukimonogatari will be airing on 12/31/14 as a 4 episode OVA. Just like Neko:Kuro. I'm surprised it's coming so quickly!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:pusheen:

HOLY poo poo THAT'S IN TWO MONTHS TIME!!!

All Aboard the HYPE TRAINS!!!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

i300 posted:

Tsukimonogatari will be airing on 12/31/14 as a 4 episode OVA. Just like Neko:Kuro. I'm surprised it's coming so quickly!

I think it's the weakest book in the series, but maybe it'll be less tedious in a 2h clump. It really is too bad that they're doing it stand-alone, since it feels like a prologue to Owarimonogatari more than a real arc of its own.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

darkgray posted:

I think it's the weakest book in the series, but maybe it'll be less tedious in a 2h clump. It really is too bad that they're doing it stand-alone, since it feels like a prologue to Owarimonogatari more than a real arc of its own.

I think they're trying to get it out of the way to do Owari in 1 or 2 cours. Not sure how they'll fit Koyomi in there, though. I'd love a new episode every month covering the corresponding chapter leading up to Owari, kind of like how they did Katanagatari.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
So how about that Kizu?

Ha. Ha. :smith:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
One day we will watch Kizumonogatari... one day. :negative:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

We have a trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaB69GZfXcI

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I wonder who's doing the music this time.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Just three more weeks till Tsukimonogatari starts streaming! Is anyone else here excited?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I am digging the tv special approach to -monogatari instead of having full seasons so I'm pretty excited and I'm sure if forums friend Richard Spacious CPA were here to post about it he'd be excited too.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Srice posted:

I am digging the tv special approach to -monogatari instead of having full seasons so I'm pretty excited and I'm sure if forums friend Richard Spacious CPA were here to post about it he'd be excited too.
Un-ironically?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Un-ironically?

It'd be insanely hosed up for someone to troll about enjoying the gataris.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5kfoQJr0GU

I'm really enjoying the tv special approach as well. These stories work a lot better as individual stories that you can just marathon through. From the PVs that are out, and from seeing Hana, it feels like the production value has skyrocketed. That being said, I feel like SHAFT can't keep up this pace forever.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

So, do we think it's time for someone to make a new thread? Technically, Tsukimonogatari starts off the "final season", and hopefully they'll announce more after the credits. Bit sad if there's no more anime for another year, though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Without snail girl can we really call it monogatari?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Namtab posted:

Without snail girl can we really call it monogatari?
Senjougahara was always the best girl. And shall continue to be.

We'll be seeing her again in ten days time.

*Fangasms into unconciousness*

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Daisuki streaming Tsukimonogatari seems relevant to the thread.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Arigato~ Daisuki! Five more days!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

So yeah, not even getting animated could save this arc. Probably best not to speak of it!

The rest of the books are really good, I promise!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

So yeah, not even getting animated could save this arc. Probably best not to speak of it!

The rest of the books are really good, I promise!

i heard they really played up the bath scenes :henget: which makes sense since not much else happens at all.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

----------------

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

The Tsukimonogatari broadcast ended with an advert for Nishio's new series, and in case people happen to be curious as to what it's about, I'll re-post a short (low-spoiler) review I made on Google+:

Finished reading Okitegami Kyouko no Bibouroku by Nishio Ishin. This is his latest novel, and first in an entirely new mystery series. While I admittedly own 41 Nishio books, and have read 22 of them, I had only tried out 2 different series until this one, so I've been curious to see what it's like when he's released from a massive accumulated history.

A common complaint in the mystery genre is how the famous detective appears to be a veritable murder magnet, forever carrying with him a death vortex, be it on vacation to Egypt or to a friendly Christmas visit at a friend's. The protagonist and narrator of this story is 25-year-old Kakushidate Yakusuke, a 190cm giant (in Japan), who suffers from exactly this syndrome, with one caveat -- he's no brilliant detective. Instead he's the guy who always gets suspected of the heinous crime in question, and is thus forced to resort to calling up a host of different private investigators to prove his innocence.

The latest of these is the titular character Okitegami Kyouko. Known as "the quickest detective", her quirk is that an event some time in the past left her with a peculiar form of amnesia: whenever she falls asleep, she forgets everything that happened the previous day. While this is very convenient for her clients -- as she's guaranteed to keep any uncovered secrets from coming out, given that she promptly forgets everything she's heard and seen -- it's all the more so as a gimmick that Nishio can spin, to build a lopsided relationship between the main characters.

The author's primary strength has always been, in my view, his absolutely outrageous dialogue. He has a way of bending audience expectations so far back, that they twist into a Möbius strip without snapping, letting tension and incredulity rise ever higher. With that in mind, this new series is absolutely baffling. It's just so... so plain! And mundane! After the superpowered high-stakes battles of Zaregoto, and vicious razor blade insults of Monogatari, everything about this new setting is bizarrely normal, if that's not too much of an oxymoron. The cases are about looking for backup data, or helping clients find lost passwords, or good-natured manuscript searches, and people converse in a courteous and friendly manner. No lopped-off heads anywhere to be found.

It's almost disappointing. But in the end, the slowly building relationship is too pleasant and amusing to read about for me to close the book with any negative feelings, so I'm looking forward to the sequel scheduled for spring next year. Not sure if Nishio can hold on to his fan base with something so mild, though.

As a bonus, one thought I couldn't let go of throughout the book was that Kyouko is incredibly reminiscent of Hanekawa Tsubasa from the Monogatari series. Not only is she voiced by the same actress in the ads, but she has white hair, glasses, is incredibly smart, and when she gets tired enough, she starts saying nya instead of na...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Now where can I find those goody good subs?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Oh god this is Nisemonogatari all over again :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Suddenly the series became glorious again.

• Locked thread