Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

heiden posted:

... even with the reduced animation budget when compared to the first season.

Wait, wasn't the first season done in an already retardedly tight budget? Like, wasn't stuff missing from the original broadcast that was only shown in the DVD/BD releases? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Wait, wasn't the first season done in an already retardedly tight budget? Like, wasn't stuff missing from the original broadcast that was only shown in the DVD/BD releases? :confused:

Yeah, there were episodes that were literally unfinished when they aired on TV. It was pretty dire. And the last 3 episodes that were gonna be available online were delayed for quite some time.

I'm sure the DVDs/BDs for this season will have plenty of fixes/improvements, like Shaft always does.

Admittedly this first episode of the new season hasn't been their most ambitious art-wise, but I think that when we're a single episode in it's a bit early to call it, especially since this is gonna be longer than the other seasons.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Bakemonogatari's problems were more because Shaft was doing two shows at once rather than a straight up lack of budget. Shinbo flashed joke "animator wanted" screens all the time in the Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei episodes that also aired that season.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Wark Say posted:

You're right, I was remembering the BD releases!

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

grrarg posted:

Bakemonogatari's problems were more because Shaft was doing two shows at once rather than a straight up lack of budget. Shinbo flashed joke "animator wanted" screens all the time in the Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei episodes that also aired that season.

SHAFT also literally caught the flu that season. It was going around the offices episodes... 8-11ish? of each?

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom
New episode is out! I'm really interested next week to see where Senjougahara takes this food allegory to explain Hanakawa's love for Araragi. I'm assuming it's going to revolve around Hanakawa's personality disorder that forces her to act like a perfect, ordinary girl that accepts anything that's thrown at her, no matter the circumstances. Araragi is something completely out of the ordinary no matter what he does, what with his constant meddling in the supernatural.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
^^^It has nothing to do with Araragi and who he is. Which is the whole point. She has no preferences and will accept anything in front of her no matter what it is, so how can she say she loves Araragi? The food allegory is meant to imply that he's not actually special to her, he was just someone conveniently within reach for what she thought of as her romantic needs.

Edit: Uh... to clarify, Senjougahara specifically inquired about the idea that she might actually like plain food and got her to say that she thinks flavors make no difference. So you probably shouldn't read it as "ordinary" so much as "indifferent".

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 13, 2013

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
This Tiger is pretty interesting. He seems to overpower Black Hanekawa by a long shot. Without Araragi around, I have no clue how they're gonna get rid of this guy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So (and maybe this is just me misinterpreting both the anime and the novels, since it's been at least 2 years since I've read the books), beyond the parental abuse and whatnot, Hanekawa is just a girl bored out of her mind? No wonder she latched onto the Araragi

To be fair, I do believe Yui Horie brings a much more interesting "voice" to Hanekawa than the one presented within the books (even if the books get all retardedly meta about it), I just can't bring myself to care about her when Suruga is way radder and 'Gahara has a more interesting arc. I'm probably gonna give this arc the same treatment that Nekomonogatari Black got and just watch once it's complete.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm enjoying the (not-so) subtle reveal that Senjougahara is just as much of a creeper as Araragi.

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008

i300 posted:

I'm surprised about how little of the shower scene they show. Hopefully the "fanservice" knob is turned down after Nise.
I remembered this post while watching ep2 and had a good laugh. Supposedly Nisemonogatari is the peak of perversion for the whole series though so nothing to worry about.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'm enjoying the (not-so) subtle reveal that Senjougahara is just as much of a creeper as Araragi.
My interpretation of all the characters is that they realize they're stuck in an anime which is why they bounce between reasonable character and traditional WACKY ANIME character. Whenever characters are being perverted they're in wacky anime mode.

literally real IRL fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 14, 2013

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Taser Gator posted:

I remembered this post while watching ep2 and had a good laugh. Supposedly Nisemonogatari is the peak of perversion for the whole series though so nothing to worry about.

Hmmmmmm. Well, Tsukimonogatari isn't far off.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

Taser Gator posted:

Yeah, the episode started and then straight into the shower scene. I don't mind the fan service most of the time. The only time I've skipped over it was the teeth brushing, which was a whole loving episode of creepy.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'm really enjoying the exposition Senjougahara's character. The part where she questions Hanekawa about her food preferences was really clever. All of her interactions with Hanekawa as of late are interesting. Even the shower scene, though it is pretty unnecessary, showed how much she has changed after resolving things in Nise.

KamikazeKube
Jun 15, 2013

The second episode definitely cemented some ideas I had from the first, that Senjougahara actually cares for Hanekawa and is being entirely sincere about it. I really like seeing the difference between Araragi's perspective and Hanekawa's. For example, when Hanekawa is looking at Senjougara in her underwear she is looking at her whole whereas in the similar episode in Bakemonogatari Araragi took mental pictures and focused on her more sexual parts.
Also, I'm very intrigued in what consequences of seeing the tiger actually are.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Is it necessary to have watched Neko* before this? I've watched only Nise* and Bake*.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ViggyNash posted:

Is it necessary to have watched Neko* before this? I've watched only Nise* and Bake*.

This series picks up pretty much immediately from where Nekomonogatari Black left off. You could probably jump in but there'd be a lot of things you might find confusing that are introduced or explained in Black. It's on Daisuki and is only 4 episodes so shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get caught up.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

This episode definitely wasn't as interesting as the last, until the end. I'm not sure what the Tiger is trying to accomplish by burning down these places, but I feel it has more to do with Araragi than we know about. It's pretty interesting that only Hanekawa can see the Tiger.

The other thing I thought was interesting was the dialog between Shinobu and Black Hanekawa. Senjōgahara mentioned that Hanekawa was too white, and then Shinobu basically confirmed that with the cat oddity inside Hanekawa, she is split into two different people. It's odd that the cat oddity has essentially become human, and it seems like they might focus on that a bit more. It's like a weird Jekyll and Hyde duality. I probably should've picked up on this earlier.

i300 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 21, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
^^^

Did you watch Nekomonogatari (Black)? Because I thought that what you just realized was spelled out pretty explicitly there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would love to meet the crazy architect who designed the Araragi house.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I would love to meet the crazy architect who designed the Araragi house.

There's a bit in the novels where Araragi thinks about how his bathroom looks nothing like it does in the anime. Characters also discuss their voice actors, so it's pretty meta at times. ._.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Oh wow, the actors they've dug up for the new characters this episode.

It's sad just how much I've forgotten of this book, but it makes watching the anime all the more entertaining, I guess.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Arararagi-mama had what, two minutes of screen time and she's already the best. :allears:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The first half of (04) has the highest concentration of Shaft-head-tilt in the history of anime.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Super Jay Mann posted:

Arararagi-mama had what, two minutes of screen time and she's already the best. :allears:
This is an objective truth since that was the most extreme head tilt I can remember seeing.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sindai posted:

This is an objective truth since that was the most extreme head tilt I can remember seeing.

What all the Araragi children aspire to :allears:

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm sorry, but the only correct name we'll accept is Mamagatari.:colbert:

This episode really drives home how much it sucks that we haven't seen Kizu yet. I really gotta get off my lazy rear end and give it a read soon. :effort:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The simplest is often the best.

Mamaragi.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

omg omg omg ogm omg omg omgo mgom gomgomg omgo mgom g
http://mora.jp/special/monogatari-series/?fmid=TOPMAINV01#pos5
says Kizu is coming this fall!

(+6-12 months for the BD wait, I guess)

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
Goddamn the last two episodes added a lot of depth to Hanekawa. Really good string of episodes so far.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

darkgray posted:

omg omg omg ogm omg omg omgo mgom gomgomg omgo mgom g
http://mora.jp/special/monogatari-series/?fmid=TOPMAINV01#pos5
says Kizu is coming this fall!

(+6-12 months for the BD wait, I guess)

This is pretty exciting! Looks like they've actually been working on it after all.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Well, I enjoyed it. World tour was pretty amazing.

Looks like we're getting a recap episode next week. :(

i300
Dec 30, 2012

Wow. That was a really great finale. If the amount of black/white/red/purple/brown frames was due to them needing more time for all that, I'm satisfied.

But drat, look at Araragi! :allears: I can't wait to find out how he got his poo poo together.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
So... Does this mean Hanekawa officially has full control over her supernatural side and can join with Araragi on awesome adventures :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That was pretty much an amazing episode from start to finish. Probably the best episode since Bake 12, which is no small feat.

Arararagi showing up the way he did was something :allears:

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Yeah that was pretty awesome. Really digging the artsy travel scene in the beginning when she's reading the letter.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
It's been a long time coming for this, you can't have a cat in anime and not pet its head.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That world travel montage was some movie-quality poo poo, goddamn :stare:

I also fully expect Araragi's newfound confidence to be beaten out of him by Senjougahara four minutes into ep.6.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 4, 2013

i300
Dec 30, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

That world travel montage was some movie-quality poo poo, goddamn :stare:

I'm hoping that the quality of this episode doesn't have an impact on the animation of the rest of the season. Hopefully Shaft know how to spend their money well.

MMania
May 7, 2008
That was the best -gatari arc ever. Shaft, you are officially pardoned for Kizumonogatari. And that travel montage gave me goose-bumps, holy poo poo.

Hanekawa is now my favorite character, the last half of Ep 5 was ridiculously awesome. Sad to say goodbye to White Hanekawa-nya, but can't wait to see the effects of those rad racing stripes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i300 posted:

Hopefully Shaft know how to spend their money well.

Prepare to be surprised.

• Locked thread