Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Guessing the next arc turns back the clock and we see things from Araragi's perspective.

MMania posted:

And that travel montage gave me goose-bumps, holy poo poo.
It was certainly one of the more ambitious artistic choices I can remember Shaft making. Very neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I love how every travel montage ends in the middle of nowhere Arizona/California border.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Nate RFB posted:

Guessing the next arc turns back the clock and we see things from Araragi's perspective.

The next arc is likely to blow your mind. :)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So how's the animation quality been so far? Is it safe to watch this live out would it be worth it to wait for the BDs so there aren't 5 minutes of title cards in each episode?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Takes No Damage posted:

So how's the animation quality been so far? Is it safe to watch this live out would it be worth it to wait for the BDs so there aren't 5 minutes of title cards in each episode?

It's been fine so far, and apparently next week is a recap episode so I guess they'll have a buffer to make it fine in the future too.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I was kind of disappointed that Araragi just appears to magically save everything, touma-style. I would have enjoyed this arc a lot more if Hanekawa was able to solve her own problems by herself without assistance, but I guess the premise of this entire series is that araragi is responsible for everything important that happens so he can build his harem.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Uh, I think you may have missed the part where Hanekawa makes the decision to confront the Tiger and everything it represents in her -here meaning all the thoughts of envy, jealousy and all the assorted regrets that she had been suppressing all this time- thus buying enough time for Araragi to come in for the save and stab it in its big stupid head. Can't blame you, it did have pretty stunning visuals. But a) it was totally there and b) it kinda sorta was the entire point of the arc.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

ElNarez posted:

Uh, I think you may have missed the part where Hanekawa makes the decision to confront the Tiger and everything it represents in her -here meaning all the thoughts of envy, jealousy and all the assorted regrets that she had been suppressing all this time- thus buying enough time for Araragi to come in for the save and stab it in its big stupid head. Can't blame you, it did have pretty stunning visuals. But a) it was totally there and b) it kinda sorta was the entire point of the arc.

That was exactly my point, though. Her making that decision to confront it is a big point of character development but since the mythical beasts in this show are visual metaphors it feels cheapening that she isn't able to control and defeat her own envy without the help of the Main Character.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Popehoist posted:

That was exactly my point, though. Her making that decision to confront it is a big point of character development but since the mythical beasts in this show are visual metaphors it feels cheapening that she isn't able to control and defeat her own envy without the help of the Main Character.
Isn't it love that lets her do it, though? If love of another is how she finds the impetus to change, it makes sense that the object of her affections would be part of the answer: the monster is something she can't beat on her own because we don't love others without there being others to love.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was probably the intent but it was kind of ruined by Araragi giving the impression that he could have beat it on his own (well, with the sword) easily had he shown up a couple of minutes earlier.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 7, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sindai posted:

That was probably the intent but it was kind of ruined by Araragi giving the impression that he could have beat it on his own (well, with the sword) easily had he shown up a couple of minutes earlier.

He also cheap shotted it from behind while Hanekawa was facing it head on.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

njsykora posted:

He also cheap shotted it from behind while Hanekawa was facing it head on.

That's called "tewmwork"

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Popehoist posted:

I feel like the entire point of the show is that, in this crazy hosed up world where teenage neuroses can have devastating effects, the one thing one can do to control that madness is to confront it with the help of one's friends. The thing you were expecting from Hanekawa is something that hasn't really happened ever in the course of the show.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In the end the tiger isn't important. The tiger made her realize her problem, she resolved to solve it, and then Araragi appeared in front of her so she could confess to him and get rejected. That's why he showed up, that's what his purpose was. He casually got rid of the tiger in an excessively flashy way, but since we're seeing this story from Hanekawa's perspective all that does is reinforce how she feels about him. That's the visual metaphor in place here: Araragi is this cool and awesome guy that we want to marry (as opposed to the creepy pervert we usually see). Which makes the following confession and rejection affect her more deeply then if we hadn't seen him have a moment like that.

Keep in mind that the story is all about perspective, especially this arc. It's about how Hanekawa sees the world, although obviously it mostly focused on what she doesn't see. She's the only one who could see the tiger for most of the story, and she's the only one who thought it was a major threat. She's the one who "knew" that cats could never beat tigers.

Edit: Also, ignoring the metanarrative, if the tiger had just been killed before she accepted it then she would have just created another one immediately. Her affliction was "endlessly spawning emotion monsters", not "being possessed by a tiger".

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 8, 2013

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

To continue on the Deep Metanarrative track of thought on how the actual physical tiger isn't at all important, poo poo, the metaphorical tiger isn't that important either.

If you were to take a knife to the story and slice out all the supernatural bits, the last episode would've been about Hanekawa heading out to Senjougahara's to finally talk things through with her friend and rival in love – it's important to note that although they both casually acknowledge that they have feelings for Araragi, they haven't actually talked about how that affects their friendship. On the way, she struggles with herself and is on the verge of turning back, when out of the blue she runs into Araragi. Boom, suddenly all the painful emotions she's been struggling this far simply up and vanish, simply because this sweet guy read the letter she left on his desk and decided to come support her. Araragi doesn't have to do anything more than show up for her envy and pain to drain away, and now she, still determined to solve the situation, can tackle the actual root of the problem and confess to Araragi.

What I'm saying is, the series is a shoujo manga.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
After seeing the recap for Nekomonogatari in the newest episode, I went and watched it and man...it was pretty drat good. The animators sure know how to make a catgirl kinda freaky though. :stare:

Kind of unfortunate the next episode seems to be another recap episode, but hey it looks to be about Senjyogahara so I'm okay with that. v:shobon:v

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...

Zeratanis posted:

After seeing the recap for Nekomonogatari in the newest episode, I went and watched it and man...it was pretty drat good. The animators sure know how to make a catgirl kinda freaky though. :stare:

Kind of unfortunate the next episode seems to be another recap episode, but hey it looks to be about Senjyogahara so I'm okay with that. v:shobon:v

If I'm not mistaken, the next episode (Airing on August 17 in Japan) is the start of the next arc. I guess we'll find out soon.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Zeratanis posted:

Hrm, as far as I understand it, the episode airing tomorrow (Sat 17th) will be the first episode of the Kabukimonogatari arc. Recap II will follow "some time later" (probably after Kabuki finishes).

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Oh, silly me if that's true. The last few seconds of the episode flash quickly like "End of summary one, continued in summary two!" so I made a quick assumption Whoops!

That said, I've been enjoying the series as a whole very much~ Though Nisemonogatari has some rather...uhh "odd" moments, to put it lightly. Suppose my favorite thing about the series is the lack of "will they won't they" bullshit between Araragi and Senjyogahara. Got kind of worried about at one point thinking he would leave her in favor of Hanekawa, but both the end of Nekomonogatari and this latest season's arc killed that fear.

I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. :shobon:

edit: Err, maybe I should spoiler tag that, sorry. If it doesn't, I'll fix it again.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 17, 2013

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
As recaps go, that was pretty good. And for a change I could just sit back and watch it instead of hovering over the pause button and moving frame by frame.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Mwahaha! Here we go! So many things to look forward to this arc.

Ougi sure looks weird animated.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Goddamn, finally caught up and they gave so much character and life to Hanekawa. Pretty great season so far for Monogatari. Can't wait to watch the next episode. Man, I love this series.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

That Ougi girl seems like shes going to be pretty interesting, whenever she shows up again. I can't get enough of Shinobu. What a crazy little girl.

Yeah, they've hosed up big time. Time traveling 11 years in the past is a very bad thing. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

i300 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 17, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Shinobu cementing her position as best character :allears:

This seems like a pretty interesting start to an arc, I'm glad I have no idea where this is going.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Shinobu really is the best character. And it was nice to have Araragi back in the narrator's seat.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 17, 2013

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It was hilarious when it became clear that Shinobu had no idea what she was doing and just kept BSing her way through the conversation in more and more spectacular fashion. :allears:

So, 11 years into the past huh. Still not far back enough to take his mother to the dance sadly. :colbert:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well given the themes spelled out in the first half, obviously the point is to meet Hachikuji before her death.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

Starting off the arc strong with a good 'ol head tilt.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Wow, that's like, Exorcist-level.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Huh, a piece of her hair just straight up disappears at one point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Huh, a piece of her hair just straight up disappears at one point.

I think it teleports to the other side just in time to fly up when she tilts her head. Quantum tunneling.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Ok, so having only ever watched Bakemonogatari, even with the help from the OP i'm really confused as to what order I would want to watch this show in order to get the best experience. I'm not bothered enough to read light novels though. Can anyone help?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

A jargogle posted:

Ok, so having only ever watched Bakemonogatari, even with the help from the OP i'm really confused as to what order I would want to watch this show in order to get the best experience. I'm not bothered enough to read light novels though. Can anyone help?

The order is Bake -> Nise -> Neko (Black) -> Second Season. Once Kizumonogatari (the movie) finally comes out you should watch it between Bake and Nise. It's not really a matter of "getting the best experience" so much as not starting in the middle and getting confused for no reason. It's a single linear series with idiosyncratic names for the sequels.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

A jargogle posted:

1. Bakemonogatari (First half of "season 1")

2. Kizumonogatari (First prequel. Will be a movie. Keeps getting delayed, should hopefully finally come out later this year. Maybe.)

3. Nisemonogatari (Second half of "season 1")

4. Nekomonogatari: Black (Second prequel. OVA)

5. Monogatari season 2 (current)

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Pensive posted:

4. Nekomonogatari: Black (Second prequel. OVA)
Thanks for the advice.
Is there anywhere you can watch this? Legally I mean.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

The entirety of Nekomonogatari: Black is on Daisuke.net here.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A jargogle posted:

Thanks for the advice.
Is there anywhere you can watch this? Legally I mean.

Pretty much all of it is on Daisuki.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

Araragi, you are one creepy fucker. That was a pretty good episode. poo poo has hit the fan. This was the best part of the episode, though.

i300 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 24, 2013

HudsonFromAliens
Jun 14, 2012
Was the cop from this latest episode when they were in the past Araragi's mother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HudsonFromAliens posted:

Was the cop from this latest episode when they were in the past Araragi's mother?

I got the feeling it was, but I base that on nothing but the camera angles and the fact that her hair isn't wrong, per se. I already forgot what her voice sounds like and her eye color, etc.

• Locked thread