Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Good episode, but the after-credits part of (03) took the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Episode 3 stuff:

I don't remember some of this stuff happening in the manga? Is it new, or is my memory really bad? Also, they are REALLY pushing the HatoxMada stuff. I think the OP makes it pretty clear who the new hero/ine of the show is.

Granted, when I look at how stuff was initially starting, it really seems that Yajima was supposed to be the "main character" in the sense how Sasahara was the "main character" of the first series. Though it was really mostly Saki and Sasahara. Then Ogiue I guess. Genshiken was really weird about characters in that way.

Anyways, I am enjoying the series so far, but it's definitely not the same.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sonata Mused posted:

Episode 3 stuff:

I don't remember some of this stuff happening in the manga? Is it new, or is my memory really bad? Also, they are REALLY pushing the HatoxMada stuff. I think the OP makes it pretty clear who the new hero/ine of the show is.

Granted, when I look at how stuff was initially starting, it really seems that Yajima was supposed to be the "main character" in the sense how Sasahara was the "main character" of the first series. Though it was really mostly Saki and Sasahara. Then Ogiue I guess. Genshiken was really weird about characters in that way.

Anyways, I am enjoying the series so far, but it's definitely not the same.

Most if not all of it is taken from the volume only extras. The bit with Madarame looking at Keiko's card, for instance, is an adaptation of this part.

The bit after the ending song is similarly this extra, just with Asuka's plug suit humorously censored.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

For folks who are interested in Hato's character and/or unconvinced that it is realistic, you should know about the relatively new trend in japan of otokonoko. There's a short docu here that maybe raises more questions than answers but it helps to understand that this is A Thing there that is gaining popularity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlvp-Zm3IDM

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
↑^^While I already bought into Hato from the numerous cross dressing cosplayers I've met, that does seal the deal.

That said, this episode almost exactly adapted the material I thought it would. What I didn't expect was how unbalanced that would end up feeling. It's much shippier than the manga when those two stories are put in one episode, even though they include an interlude regarding the completion of Ogiue's manga to imply the passage of time. I also didn't think they'd be getting to the summer comiket events so soon. They're gonna run through this manga in no time unless the bigger plot points get broken up between episodes. I didn't expect Hato's stand to be quite so energetic either, but it works.

Still, I'm enjoying it every bit as much as the manga, as the direction and animation are rather tight, even if it's altering the tone a bit.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I can't believe the anime just completely skipped over Vol. 8 + 9 (Sasahara getting with Ogiue and graduation), my favorite part in the series.

Also, as a more general gripe, Sasahara (my favorite character and arguably the central character in the original series) is almost completely absent from the new volumes. Come on, at least do a chapter on him + Ogiue to show us how his relationship and job are progressing.

edit: they changed all the VAs too :(

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 25, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Whilst Maou-sama can't be beat in terms of extreme face expressions, drat if Genshiken II isn't trying.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I actually really, really like the new series and the fujoshi focus - much more than I thought I would, anyway. Right now is a great time to get a show that focuses on girl nerds in a fairly realistic way. It's way better than if they had just tried to do a new cast with rehashed versions of the old characters archetypes.

I think one of my favorite things is how harsh and unflattering Genshiken can be about its portrayal of nerds (Kuchiki, Yajima). They're annoying and just barely accepted, but groups of nerds have people like that, and it kinda helps ground the show.

sincx posted:

I can't believe the anime just completely skipped over Vol. 8 + 9 (Sasahara getting with Ogiue and graduation), my favorite part in the series.

I wondered what the hell happened. I felt like there was a bunch of important stuff I'd missed in the plot, but when I looked at the previous anime series it didn't look like there was anything I hadn't seen. That would explain it.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
You know, while they skipped over the content of 8 and 9, I feel like it made a lot of sense to jump to the new generation since they have so few episodes to play with. Yes, this adaptation is proving to be pretty brisk (definitely didn't expect them to be at Summer Comiket by episode 4 - at this rate they may adapt pretty much everything the new generation has done so far,) but it would've been awkward to shift focus halfway through from the older cast to the new cast when there are only 12 or 13 episodes to play with. Maybe if Nidaime does well, an OVA series for the missing volumes could happen. Genshiken does love its OVA episodes.

On Episode 4: Again, I didn't expect them to be at Summer Comiket this soon, but it does make it more likely that the good stuff from most recent chapters might just make it to the screen. The direction nor the animation aren't at all suffering from the brisk pace either. I know it's Production IG and they don't mess around, but I figured it was so low budget that things like procedurally-generated, 2D-CG crowd scenes would be off the table. Instead, it's looking rather good, and the actual pace and rhythm of the episode doesn't feel forced. I just hope that Comiket concludes in the next episode. If they stretch it, I think it'll be pretty obvious where the anime leave off.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I liked the nods to Production I.G works this episode. There was Chamber, Azazel, and some folks from Jin-Roh?

Nyah-girl got a perfect voice, too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ultraklystron posted:

You know, while they skipped over the content of 8 and 9, I feel like it made a lot of sense to jump to the new generation since they have so few episodes to play with. Yes, this adaptation is proving to be pretty brisk (definitely didn't expect them to be at Summer Comiket by episode 4 - at this rate they may adapt pretty much everything the new generation has done so far,) but it would've been awkward to shift focus halfway through from the older cast to the new cast when there are only 12 or 13 episodes to play with. Maybe if Nidaime does well, an OVA series for the missing volumes could happen. Genshiken does love its OVA episodes.

There is a special animation being bundled with the limited edition of volume 15 of the manga (That's volume 6 of the new series), and another being bundled with the blu-rays of the anime. I'm willing to bet that at least one if not both of those cover the Karuizawa arc from the manga with Sasahara and Ogiue getting together.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
^^ Awesome. No matter what's on them, I hope NiS America's license for Nidaime includes both of those episodes. Especially since it's a reasonable assumption that anyone who is picking up Nidaime owns the original series as well, and thus might want the time skip filled in.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
So... This is probably a dumb question considering how it's already been touched on in the thread, but is Hato supposed to be transgendered...? The show seems to be giving mixed signals in how seriously it's taking the character in that regard. On one hand, we get silly or kinda gross/fetishy stuff like the other characters referring to them as a "trap" (though I'm not sure if that's just a translation issue) and them talking about shipping themselves as a boy with someone, etc.

But on the other, they also say stuff like "I want you to see me as a girl" and show discomfort at the idea of dressing as a boy in front of the other club members - And initially seem freak out when Madarame sees them like that when they falls asleep in his apartment, which makes it seem like a lot more then typical anime kooky "for fun" crossdressing. And the weird thing with the female "self" floating around makes it even more confusing.

Obviously they're in denial of some issue, but it's hard to tell what it wants me to think about the character, or if it's even thinking about that aspect as anything but comedy, which would kinda bother me.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

PoorWeather posted:

So... This is probably a dumb question considering how it's already been touched on in the thread, but is Hato supposed to be transgendered...? The show seems to be giving mixed signals in how seriously it's taking the character in that regard. On one hand, we get silly or kinda gross/fetishy stuff like the other characters referring to them as a "trap" (though I'm not sure if that's just a translation issue) and them talking about shipping themselves as a boy with someone, etc.

But on the other, they also say stuff like "I want you to see me as a girl" and show discomfort at the idea of dressing as a boy in front of the other club members - And initially seem freak out when Madarame sees them like that when they falls asleep in his apartment, which makes it seem like a lot more then typical anime kooky "for fun" crossdressing. And the weird thing with the female "self" floating around makes it even more confusing.

Obviously they're in denial of some issue, but it's hard to tell what it wants me to think about the character, or if it's even thinking about that aspect as anything but comedy, which would kinda bother me.

The way I'm thinking about it right now is that even Hato isn't sure what's up right now, which is pretty common for someone who just started to consider this kind of stuff.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

PoorWeather posted:

Short answer: It's played for comedy and for drama, and it's not really skewed toward one or the other. And like XboxPants said, I doubt even Hato knows what's going on inside his head for sure. Also, the word "trap" is an approximate translation of otokonoko, which is pronounced the same as 男の子 (word for male), but is spelled 男の娘, with the changed character meaning "girl." It's close enough in terms of how both are common words to label a sexual fetish for effeminate, crossdressing males, but I think it doesn't quite carry the negative connotations that the word "trap" does.

Long answer: The reason Hato wants to be seen as a girl isn't (in my opinion) gender confusion. It's because he wants to talk about fujoshi stuff with the other girls and not have them weirded out by the fact that he's a guy. The theory is that as long as he's dressed as a girl, everyone can pretend he is one even if they do know that he's a dude. This works to various degrees--Yoshitake doesn't care/thinks it's cool, Yajima thinks it's dumb and is acutely aware of Hato's masculinity, etc. The reason he freaked when Madarame woke him up was because he was intruding; it was rude of him to fall asleep in someone else's bed in a home that he'd been allowed to use just for changing clothes.

Manga spoilers: His female persona ghost/split personality is, in my opinion, more or less a representation of his gender confusion/sexual orientation issues. It repeatedly asserts that it's a part of him, but Hato refuses to accept it, and tries to make it go away by dressing as a girl, or running away from his masculinity (and the possibility that he may be into dudes). Later on in the manga this doesn't work anymore, and Hato starts to feel as though that female persona is taking over, a way of showing that his issues aren't going to go away just because he tries to ignore them.

More manga spoilers, from untranslated chapters: Something I thought was really interesting was that I got the feeling several times throughout the manga that Hato was being selfish or acting to the detriment of others because of his unwillingness or inability to face his problems, and recent developments have confirmed that in my mind. Instead of either accepting or facing his growing crush on Madarame, he pretty much throws Madarame under the bus by asking Angela to date him. It's a really selfish and rude thing to do, especially with the way that he used Saki to sort of push Madarame into it, and it only hasn't blown up completely in his face because Madarame is really nice (or weak-willed, if you wanna look at it that way). Either way, though, I think it will come to a head sooner rather than later, especially considering that before Genshiken Kio was known more for drama and angst rather than comedy.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

...before Genshiken Kio was known more for drama and angst rather than comedy.

I truly do wonder why the author decided to go with the Hato/trap arc for Volume 10 and beyond. It's pretty clear that he did NOT intend to do so originally; see: Genshiken v09 page 175 (chapter 55), a flash forward at the end of the original manga series where it shows 3 normal guys walking into the Genshiken room sometime in the future.

However, in the (originally) one-shot chapter 56 that came a year or two later, Kio clearly changed his mind, changed the new members to 3 girls (or girls and "girl"), and never even bothered to fix this giant inconsistency/plothole.

Interesting, at the very least.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It just means he wasn't planning a sequel when he ended the first series. Doesn't seem that odd to me.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Schneider Heim posted:

I liked the nods to Production I.G works this episode. There was Chamber, Azazel, and some folks from Jin-Roh?

Nyah-girl got a perfect voice, too.

Was that someone staggering around in a flesh-coloured suit a Titan reference?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

sincx posted:

I truly do wonder why the author decided to go with the Hato/trap arc for Volume 10 and beyond. It's pretty clear that he did NOT intend to do so originally; see: Genshiken v09 page 175 (chapter 55), a flash forward at the end of the original manga series where it shows 3 normal guys walking into the Genshiken room sometime in the future.

However, in the (originally) one-shot chapter 56 that came a year or two later, Kio clearly changed his mind, changed the new members to 3 girls (or girls and "girl"), and never even bothered to fix this giant inconsistency/plothole.

Interesting, at the very least.

The in-universe explanation of that is that Kuchiki scared them all away with his goony otaku antics. In reality of course it's like Clarste said.

That said, Kio does have a penchant for tackling touchy subjects (see his previous work, Jigopri, about teen pregnancy and single parenthood, and cheating and failed relationships featured heavily in another one of his currently untranslated works). It's still to be seen whether he'll actually pull off the Hato thing well or it'll all end up devolving into a poorly executed mess, but it's not like he just up and decided to include a "trap" character for the hell of it. It might also be partly commentary on how a lot of series nowadays do have that sort of token really feminine guy character (and I think the Genshiken members do comment on that in universe, genre savvy as they always are) who's never played for anything except sex appeal and fetishism.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
^I don't think there can be much doubt that Kio intends to handle Hato carefully and seriously, since he's basically using the character in the same way used Sasahara and Ogiue as they were first introduced. Hato is also on a journey of self-acceptance/realization, so some where in here we're going to get some denouement on that for Hato. I don't think the subject matter itself will even be the sticking point, especially since Kio is calling Hato an otokonoko and a fudanshi. Those are different issues to traps, and really suggests that Kio is trying to sincerely explore a real subculture just like he did otaku and fujoshi previously. No fetishist aspects are in play beyond what you'd expect the socially maladroit members of the Genshiken to bring up.

However, Hato's issues are to going intersect with and heavily effect Madarame's own arc of getting over Saki, and that creates a convoluted enough situation that at the very least, it might be hard to keep everyone likeable. If Hato puts too much pressure on Madarame to pair off with one of the girls interested in him as a way of shutting off his crush on Mada, Hato could easily upset everyone else in the Genshiken with his behavior. Sue could call Hato out on that if not out his crush if it really gets out of hand, which would hurt her character too. She's already on thin ice for her real life shipping antics.

Basically, things are being set up to make Hato's denial of his otokonoko/fudanshi interests if not bisexuality or homosexuality or transgender issues end up as a way bigger problem for himself and his friends than just embracing or at least productively trying to understand who he is. That really feels thematically right for Genshiken as well. It might not be that comedic, but a lot of the big plot shifts in Genshiken aren't.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 2, 2013

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

More manga spoilers, from untranslated chapters

Argh, chapter 90 is out, but 89 is still untranslated.

If this keeps up, I'm going to have learn hiragana so I can type the text into Google Translate.

edit: btw ep 5 is out.

sincx fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 3, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, er, CR cut out just as Hato's spazz attack ended. I know that's not the end of the episode but drat what timing!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Phobophilia posted:

Was that someone staggering around in a flesh-coloured suit a Titan reference?

Late reply, but maybe. Although part of me thinks it's the Anglerfish costume in Girls und Panzer, another show by the same director.

It was fun picking out cosplay in this week's episode, too. Here's my favorite:

As for the episode itself, Angela's Engrish kind of grated after a while, but Hato's outburst made the episode for me. Also Sue being Sue, which should never stop.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Kousaka.... Kousaka your voiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Surprisingly that is the one I'm hung up on changing.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Sonata Mused posted:

Kousaka.... Kousaka your voiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Surprisingly that is the one I'm hung up on changing.

It's actually kind of weird because it'd been years since I saw Genshiken and yet I knew something just wasn't right. Madarame is the one that stands out the most to me.

It was actually the VA changes that made me dig out the original Genshiken series and give it a quick look through. I forgot a ton of stuff, like how Kuchiki first shows up in ep 7 of the original show. For some reason I thought he joined up later with Ogiue. It's also kind of interesting to see how much the whole landscape of anime has changed in the interim between these two shows.

But dear lord is the animation rough as all hell in that original series. People's faces change shape from scene to scene and Sasahara's eyes slide around his face.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Madarame's voice is interesting, because he has supposed to of "matured" during the story, so I feel like his deeper voice fits him somewhat.

If he had this voice during the beginning though, it wouldn't have been as great, since his outbursts would probably have lacked.

e: Oh man, watching the animation of the first season is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qezJcCIH4Jo

Sonata Mused fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 8, 2013

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sonata Mused posted:

Madarame's voice is interesting, because he has supposed to of "matured" during the story, so I feel like his deeper voice fits him somewhat.

If he had this voice during the beginning though, it wouldn't have been as great, since his outbursts would probably have lacked.

e: Oh man, watching the animation of the first season is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qezJcCIH4Jo

That's worse than Shaft broadcast quality. It's aged so poorly.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Was it just me, or was there a joke about Free! doujin in this episode?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Sue and the popsicle was too much fan service, Production IG. Too much.

edit 1: wow the action sequence was very well done.

edit 2: is it going to end up being hato x risa way down the road?

edit 3: Madarame's new VA's voice is too deep and resonant for a sou uke character.

edit 4: vvvvv this is a show starring a guy who cross-dresses as a girl (and occasionally cosplaying a girl cross-dressing as a guy) and a girl who draws her BF and her BF's guy friend loving. and the BF is okay with it and starts going out with the girl after seeing those drawings. in fact they start making out right after the girl shows the guy the gay porn she drew of him and his friend. expect weird people.

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 11, 2013

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Were they seriously discussing little boy porn manga and how "hot" a child actor was like it was the most normal thing in the world? That's it, I'm done with this thing.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

Late reply, but maybe. Although part of me thinks it's the Anglerfish costume in Girls und Panzer, another show by the same director.

It was fun picking out cosplay in this week's episode, too. Here's my favorite:

As for the episode itself, Angela's Engrish kind of grated after a while, but Hato's outburst made the episode for me. Also Sue being Sue, which should never stop.
Looks like PSYCHO-PASS in the back left

nerdz posted:

Were they seriously discussing little boy porn manga and how "hot" a child actor was like it was the most normal thing in the world? That's it, I'm done with this thing.
I guess that's fair, and it's why normals aren't allowed in the clubroom.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
You know, I wasn't particularly keen on Kuchiki back when he was first introduced, but he was amazing in the latest episode. I still have no idea what the hell is supposed to be going on in his head, but at this point, I just don't care.

cooldude2.0 posted:

Looks like PSYCHO-PASS in the back left

In that picture alone there's Psycho-Pass, *monogatari, GuP (Anglerfish costume, recoloured for some reason), SnK, some Vocaloids, Gargantia, a recoloured Asuka walking off the right edge of the frame, and a bunch of things that are obviously cosplay, but hard to precisely identify (basketball guys, various school uniforms - the ones in the back right look like they might be Railgun?).

From some of the other shots I remember seeing a lot of K, various Muromi-san characters, Joshiraku, Henneko, and a few Touhous. And the main characters doing Madoka, obviously.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I've been watching the new season, I haven't really read the manga but...do the non Hato member girls ever get any development more than "they really like BL"? I'm just kind of wondering because the more I watch the less fun I'm having. I really liked the first seasons too :(

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

The manga hasn't been updated in a while, I think, but the other girls get overshadowed a lot.

Which is too bad, because I really like Yoshitake.

She's got the passion of Madarame, the dark side of Ono, and glibness of Kousaka.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

arhra posted:

a recoloured Asuka

Fairly certain the not-Asuka is actually newcomer Mari from rebuild.

Edit: The girl with the twintails and hairbuns in the back right looks like Shipon from Stellvia to me, but that's entirely to old to be the case. The ones in the black suits are likely Akane and Shinya from Psycho-Pass.

Amstrad fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 14, 2013

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Sonata Mused posted:

The manga hasn't been updated in a while, I think, but the other girls get overshadowed a lot.

She's got the passion of Madarame, the dark side of Ono, and glibness of Kousaka.

It's pretty much Madarame and Hato all the way to the current chapter (90, released two weeks ago).

Unfortunately the last English translated chapter is 88, but if you can read certain other languages, you can still stay up-to-date.

edit: Whatever happened to Crunchy Cheese? Does anyone else even remember what it is?

sincx fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 14, 2013

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
It's a small thing, but I'm enjoying the realism in how the other members of Genshiken refer to/address Hato; a few go back and forth while others always use "-kun" or "-chan" even when it's situationally-inappropriate. It helps ground the show, to me.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I will admit, I don't totally get the comment that younger sister made about Hato at the end.

I really hoped Hato was a girl pretending to be a guy dressing up as a girl. To me, that would be the most interesting scenario. As far as I can tell, that's not the case at all.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Dan7el posted:

I will admit, I don't totally get the comment that younger sister made about Hato at the end.

I really hoped Hato was a girl pretending to be a guy dressing up as a girl. To me, that would be the most interesting scenario. As far as I can tell, that's not the case at all.

I haven't watched the episode but if it's faithful to the manga then the line was about Hato having used hair removal cream on his groin, so he had no pubic hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Sonata Mused posted:

I think the winter comiket arc is going to open the door for a lot more development for Yajime, but that may still leave Yoshitake in a support role for now. That said it's not like Genshiken has always developed every character evenly. A lot of male cast from the original manga were never as developed/focused on as Sasahara and Madarame.

Also, the very attributes that make Yoshitake likable/fun probably mean she's so comfortable in her fujoshi nature right now that her development probably won't happen until something changes - there's no conflict in her to resolve as she is now. Maybe once her sister is in Genshiken (which will happen if the manga keeps going,) something can be put in motion for Yoshitake.

• Locked thread