Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I marathoned your Rise of The Samurai LP a few weeks back and really enjoyed it. Here's to the rise of the Hattori!

Out of curiosity, you mentioned that you'd probably be able to get through the entire short game with your current head. How many generations do the long and domination games usually go through? The idea of creating the perfect genealogy has always been one of the appeals of these games for me. Also, do you have would you want to change your economic/province management plans for the longer games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Sindai posted:

Wow, navel battles look pretty cool. I hope we get to see a larger one.

Yeah. The water and fog are pretty impressive, as are all the little mans on the ship.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Jade Star posted:

About that siege of Ise; Do you have a thing against just burning the gates down and walking inside? It tends to solve the problem of losing 10% of your forces going over the walls like that.

As HardHead and Agent Interrobang noted, it's often less productive to burn down gates than you would think, even if you might be able to reduce casualties somewhat. The AI will always use its best unit to tie down the gate, in this case Samurai Retainers. This means that if I want to actually get *in* through the gate, I'll need to use the Katana Samurai as the main spearhead, which would be costly in samurai casualties.

Secondly, burning down the gates makes the castle "damaged" in the campaign map, which not only means that we don't get the repression and tech bonuses from the stronghold, but that if we are attacked by that army outside, the gates will be open. Lastly, with the stronghold damaged, we can not only not produce units that turn and have to pay for repairs, but Yari and Bow Ashigaru are considered unable to be recruited and so replenish at only half their normal rate. The net effect in a battle like this is that we would end up with less ashigaru next turn by burning down the gates. Obviously if your army is not mainly ashigaru, these factors are much less important.

Xenoborg posted:

Why didn't that naval battle give you the option of chasing down routers? In land combat the auto will usually do it better, but in naval combat its a great way to capture ships. Can you not do this in Shogun 2? I did it a ton in Empire/Napoleon and cant remember if they removed it.

You most certainly can continue battles to eliminate routers. However, the replays save this and you get to watch an additional few minutes just chasing men down, hardly riveting. There also remains that a lot of people don't do that, so I'm not doing it. I may revisit that policy in the light of naval battles though. Having said that, it just means we get more naval battles to watch!

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I marathoned your Rise of The Samurai LP a few weeks back and really enjoyed it. Here's to the rise of the Hattori!

Out of curiosity, you mentioned that you'd probably be able to get through the entire short game with your current head. How many generations do the long and domination games usually go through? The idea of creating the perfect genealogy has always been one of the appeals of these games for me. Also, do you have would you want to change your economic/province management plans for the longer games?

Long and Domination games last the same amount of time, until Winter 1600 (220 turns) which is 55 years. That tends to get you well into your second generation, usually with a third available towards the end. The first generation has no chance of surviving all that!

You would want to change your economic management somewhat in the longer games to adjust for having more time to get returns, but the basic principles are all the same.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Good to see you back shalcar. And good to see your Hattori back on the winning path and doing what the Taira of old did by attacking the Kitabatake. Only this time, you didn't vassalize them once you conquered them. Guess that's because you wanted the province itself there and not the vassal tribute and trade income instead? Also, they didn't start off as your vassals like they did as the Taira, instead just as a trading partner, so I guess it doesn't really play into character if you attempted to vassalize them. Noticed the change of mon that the Kitabatake got, guess that's just because there are a different set of generic minor clan mons in vanilla than in Rise.

Guess I should take your advice about throwing low ranked ashigaru units up the walls first in order for them to soak up the casualties fighting and wearing down the defenders while opening up the gates for your elite troops to storm in because the ashigaru are pretty much expendable and easy to replace by recruiting new units once again. Guess that means I need a lot more ashigaru units in my armies!

Nice job with taking the night battle so the Kitabatake remains of the Kitabatake army that fought off the Imagawa couldn't reinforce. That might have been messy if they were there... A lightly defended castle is yours for the taking. Still, you're going to need to clean up that stack sooner rather than later. Being unable to move to engage that stack due to lack of movement and zones of engagement is annoying, but I assume you'll clear them out sooner rather than later, next turn most likely. Or they might just move on you during their turn instead. I guess you'll have their old defenses there in order to protect yourself if they attempt to do so. But since their stack took quite a bit of casualties from fighting off the Imagawa and without the reinforcement they would get since you took over their province, I doubt they'll be getting any stronger and won't try to move on you there. I dunno, they might have a chance if they tried to do so, but with the defenses you now have and the numerical superiority of our troops, I doubt they would get far, even if their entire stack is samurai and yours is mostly ashigaru.

It might have made a good story, though: a deposed daimiyo of an eliminated and now insignificant and forgotten clan, sallying forth to attempt to prevent one group of attackers from taking his home, only to find that another army belonging to a clan he previously was trading with and somewhat friendly towards has marched in and done so in a sneak attack at night while he had fought the first group off. Now he's unable to return, since his troops are diminished and the army who seized his home and deposed him are behind his walls and he knows he can't force them off, even if his troops are of better quality since he's outnumbered... Now he has to turn to banditry, attacking holdings in his old home holdings, waiting for when the attackers march in and end the threat his army poses, knowing that he'll be unable to take back the area unless the attackers make an incredibly stupid decision and leave the area undefended, like he once did, assuming no one would dare attack at night before he could rush back and reinforce his castle defenders...

I never play out the naval battles myself, choosing always to autoresolve them since I didn't know how to fight them. Also had a bad experience with one I decided to fight myself in Fall, and that made me decide to just stick to autoresolving. Though I guess if I can learn some pointers on ship types, roles, and tactics from you through this LP and your videos, I could try my hand at it once more...

Looking forward to learning more from this LP, your videos, and this thread in general. Can't wait to see where you take the Hattori from here!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 3, 2013

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Hmm, matter of priorities I guess. If I have a clear ranged advantage (as you did at Ise) I will push archers off the walls and then burn the gate, often multiple gates if arrow towers won't be too much of a hassle. Sure they can put their samurai retainers at one of the gates, but Ise had at least two gates. Many maps have three. Once you have multiple points of entry, you don't have to worry about wall casualties or a roadblock of samurai retainers at a choke point. Send an ashi to hold them in place, pour in through the other available entry points and relieve that initial ashi from combat. Or don't, it's a yari ashi.

I think I value my troops lives (read: experience meter) more than the 50 koku it takes to repair the gates afterward. The downsides you pointed out seem so minimal; the lack of repression for 1 turn hardly matters when you have a garrison to hold the population content, and losing a tiny boost to arts for one turn also hardly seems noticeable. The only potential worry is as Interobang said, a counter attack before repairs. Even then though, this has happened to me often and it's not much of a factor. Even with gates burnt from my assault, the AI plays the fight much the same, sending men up walls and going about business as usual. I can not remember a time where the AI made me regret having a burned gate.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
The big thing you are not mentioning is the halving of the ashigaru replenishment, which is more than the ten or so troops you lose going over the walls rather than burning the gates. As you said, it's not huge either way and I don't really worry about rank 0 or 1 ashi xp loss.

e: In fact, I love this topic of conversation because it really speaks to the depth in Shogun 2 that there are multiple ways of approaching the same objective each with their own pros and cons.

For reasons which I will explain later in the post, the best point to not burn down gates is when attacking a Stronghold, but first lets look at our options.

Strongholds:

By burning down the gates, we take no non-combat troop loss.
Our unit replenishment for Ashigaru is (8% (Base replenishment) + 2% (Roads) + 1% (Commissioner for Development)) x 0.5 (Penalty for being unable to make the unit in the province) = 5.5% or 9 yari ashi.
Our unit replenishment for Samurai is also 5.5% (same maths)

By not burning down the gates, we lose 7.5% of our yari ashigaru (12 men)
Our unit replenishment for Ashigaru is 8% (Base replenishment) + 2% (Roads) + 1% (Commissioner for Development) + 5% (Stronghold) = 16% or 24 yari ashi (12 yari ashigaru after wall losses)
Our unit replenishment for Samurai is 8% (same maths but with the 0.5 multiplier for being unable to recruit in that province)

So we end up slightly ahead by not taking the gates in this scenario and have better quality troop replenishment, always handy after a tough battle.

Forts don't provide the replenishment bonus and so it's basically a wash (comes out in favour of burning) while Fortresses and above have additional concourses (Losing you an additional 7.5% per concourse) while not providing anywhere near enough replenishment to make up for it.

I'll end up doing a bit of everything throughout the LP as circumstances change and some options become better than others and I certainly have no objections to burning down gates or sabotaging them (It's all Chisato seems to do these days!).

shalcar fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 3, 2013

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Taketoshi as an incredibly angry poet is perfect.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Huh, I knew you can burn down gates, but I've never actually done it myself, preferring to go over the walls, usually with some of my better troops, which I now realize was incredibly wasteful. Need to recruit some more ashigaru for my stacks so that they can do the grunt work...

Just what does burning down the gate entail anyway? I've seen the icon pop up when I've moused over the gates during a siege, but I've never actually done it. Is it just your dudes walking up to the gate and then attempting to burn it down or throwing some torches at it or something like that? I assume you'll either take casualties from enemy fire while approaching the gates or somehow some of them die due to the fire or something to that effect? And then afterwards, the gate is burned down and open, and your units can cross through just like any other open gate without casualties, right?

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Yep. Your units move to a fairly close range and fling torches, gradually damaging the gate. Once it's at 100% damaged, it's just like it was ninja-sabotaged. However, in the meantime, the enemy towers and archers can freely fire down on your soldiers.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Yep. Your units move to a fairly close range and fling torches, gradually damaging the gate. Once it's at 100% damaged, it's just like it was ninja-sabotaged. However, in the meantime, the enemy towers and archers can freely fire down on your soldiers.

Huh, fair enough. I guess if your enemies don't have many archers at the walls, or if they're otherwise occupied, it might be worth it to attempt to burn down the gate. Might take a while longer than scaling the walls, but if there aren't any archers taking shots at you, it'll probably lead to less casualties, especially if the units climbing the walls are ashigaru and they get swarmed by higher quality troops once inside while attempting to open the gates. But if you're doing it under archer fire, it might lead to more casualties instead. Maybe not if the unit climbing got swarmed afterwards, but definitely more casualties than from just climbing the walls. Still, I'm assuming that the units doing so are ashigaru, so they're replaceable anyway.

The problem of having to repair the castle and being unable to recruit ashigaru for the turn while its being repaired, and the replenishment penalty from being unable to recruit them there that turn due to the damaged castle would be annoying though. Plus the loss of the castle repression with regards to public order would hurt too. Still, you've got an army there to provide repression for public order. Guess if there's another enemy army on the march nearby, it might not be worth it, but I don't see much downside to burning the gates. Sure, if you took a lot of casualties in assaulting the castle, it might suck to not be able to replace as many of them, but it's only for a turn. I doubt you'll be moving on immediately afterwards anyway, I would think.

Might have to try it next time I siege a castle in Shogun 2, whenever I actually get a chance to play it again...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Usually when I storm a castle, it's because most of the garrison had left it for some reason and I sensed an opportunity. In that case, I expect the AI to throw everything they have at me immediately (sometimes within the battle for the castle itself), and therefore keeping the castle as intact as possible is absolutely imperative.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I burn down gates instead of scaling the walls when it means fewer casualties for the same reason I don't play Russians in WWII wargames. I want to keep as many of my pixel mans alive as possible.

You monsters. :colbert:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I burn down gates instead of scaling the walls when it means fewer casualties for the same reason I don't play Russians in WWII wargames. I want to keep as many of my pixel mans alive as possible.

I usually try and do that myself, especially since my armies are usually mostly samurai and they're expensive to recruit and maintain and they take quite long to reinforce back to full strength, especially if they're experience and/or upgraded. I don't try and send them into impossible situations if I can help it and try to minimize casualties, since I never feel good about losing dudes, especially a lot of dudes that are experienced, powerful, and worth a lot, when I didn't need to. I always figured to send in my higher quality and experienced troops first, in order to end the battle more quickly and have them continue to get stronger by killing more of the enemy than they lose when doing so.

But if the pixel mans as easy and cheap to replace as ashigaru, then I can't help thinking of the lesser of two evils sometimes. I didn't use a lot of ashigaru before for since they're kinda weak in that regards and that means some sunk costs and a lot of casualties, especially if you use them against higher quality troops or to do things like taking walls. But shalcar and some of the others here seem to have convinced me that if you're going to lose dudes, it might as well be ashigaru instead of samurai, especially if the ashigaru you send in have little to no experience/upgrades, since you can just parcel out the remaining guys in one unit into others and recruit a new one easily. It does seem make a cold bit of sense, even if it causes me to lose a whole bunch of my pixel mans when I put the advice into action...

Man, even in 40k games whenever I play Guard, I try to do the same with my Guardsmen, retreating them when I can and reinforcing them as needed and giving them as much support as I can, but sometimes it's just not possible to avoid casualties, just minimize them when and where you can, especially if what you're fighting against is a lot stronger than you are pixel man for pixel man, or unit for unit.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
The thing about ashigaru(and we'll assume I mean yari ashigaru since they're by far the variety you will use most) is they basically serve three purposes; one is sheer press of numbers, one is hard-countering cavalry and the other is tying down enemies to maneuver your more elite troops into position. Their numbers advantage means they're perfect for climbing walls, because compared to the overall numbers what they lose going over the wall is minimal, and it allows you tie up defenders while you open the gates to let stronger troops in. That means less casualties among the units that are difficult to replace, like samurai, cavalry, general's honor guard, etc.. As grim as it is, the entire PURPOSE of ashigaru is pretty much to die in place of better units and get objectives taken care of by throwing bodies into it.

Now, ashigaru can actually be a lot stronger depending upon your clan. The Oda in particular have HUGE bonuses to ashigaru; their ashigaru will invariably be cheaper and have much more morale than those of any other clan. The Oda suffer from a precarious starting position, but if you can overcome that and get a solid economy going, zerg-rushing everything with fanatical armies of high-morale ashigaru becomes a very real, and very hilarious possibility.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Fat Samurai posted:

Yes! Maximum sneaky covertness, minimum casualties. Koku is cheap, but virtual life is sacred,dammit.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Agent Interrobang posted:

The thing about ashigaru(and we'll assume I mean yari ashigaru since they're by far the variety you will use most) is they basically serve three purposes; one is sheer press of numbers, one is hard-countering cavalry and the other is tying down enemies to maneuver your more elite troops into position. Their numbers advantage means they're perfect for climbing walls, because compared to the overall numbers what they lose going over the wall is minimal, and it allows you tie up defenders while you open the gates to let stronger troops in. That means less casualties among the units that are difficult to replace, like samurai, cavalry, general's honor guard, etc.. As grim as it is, the entire PURPOSE of ashigaru is pretty much to die in place of better units and get objectives taken care of by throwing bodies into it.

Huh, so I guess that's what I've been doing wrong... I've been fielding armies made up almost entirely of samurai, and just about all of the ashigaru I recruit are left on garrison duty. The only real ashigaru I have in my field armies are the yari and bow units that have managed to hang on in there since my initial ashigaru stacks in my starting army through a bunch of battles and have accumulated some experience that I feel bad about leaving them behind except if they took tremendous casualties and need to be left behind to recover. I also hoover up any ashigaru that I used in a defense that manage to gain some experience, yari and bow ashigaru both, except again if they've taken large casualties and need recover and shouldn't be used in a battle anytime soon. But still, I march them right back out after that to rejoin my field armies. Maybe I should use them instead as the core for a new field army, I should be needing one soon and I have a spare general in my non heir son who has just been sitting back at home and working on his commission...

I guess I do take a bunch of unneeded casualties by sending my experienced samurai over the walls first, since I figured that they are the ones best suited to fighting off and killing whatever meets them there at the top of the walls, without taking large casualties in the process. I've started recruiting more yari ashigaru to take up some space in my armies, and I guess I should use them to go up the walls first and keep the defenders busy while other open the gates to allow my better troops in or something. Or use them to tie down more experienced and higher quality troops so my samurai can get flank charges in... I guess I'll take less samurai casualties that way and then eventually build up some more experienced yari ashigaru to keep around in my army or to build a new army around, or if the new unit takes tremendous casualties, parcel them out to replace lesser casualties in more experienced units, then recruit new ones.

Thanks for the advice.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 3, 2013

TyphoidLarry
Sep 4, 2011

Agent Interrobang posted:

The Oda suffer from a precarious starting position, but if you can overcome that and get a solid economy going, zerg-rushing everything with fanatical armies of high-morale ashigaru becomes a very real, and very hilarious possibility.

I've tried several playthroughs with the Oda and I just can't seem to get anywhere. Does anyone have any advice for the first 10-20 turns on how to proceed?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

TyphoidLarry posted:

I've tried several playthroughs with the Oda and I just can't seem to get anywhere. Does anyone have any advice for the first 10-20 turns on how to proceed?

First off, you'll wanna make a BEELINE for researching Fire Arrows. Nobody gets mileage out of bow ashigaru quite as well as the Oda and it'll make you a lot and I do mean a LOT more lethal in the early game. Also, try to fight as many of your battles as possible in the rain; all units get morale penalties in the rain, but because Oda ashigaru get big morale bonuses by default your enemy will be at a strong disadvantage in morale terms.

As for specific strategies, ally-up with the Kitabatake and Azai as soon as possible, because that means two less potential fronts to deal with. Ise is a tempting target with valuable structures, but it can wait. Prioritize taking out the Tokugawa and seizing Mikawa; with your super-powerful yari ashigaru you're uniquely situated to take out the Tokugawa cavalry advantage on the cheap, and seizing Mikawa gives you access to warhorses so you can start making cavalry of your own. Then you can quickly clear out the Saito and start actually building. Overall, you want to always be limiting the number of fronts you're engaged on; once the Tokugawa are out of the picture you'll have a lot more breathing room.

EDIT: Tokugawa/Takeda mixup, fixed

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 4, 2013

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
There -is- one drawback to taking a province and rapidly moving onto the next: Everyone will hate your guts.

In my hojo game there were a few consequences to relatively quickly taking a half dozen provinces at a time. (it wasn't genius on my part, just bigass wars going on and a beautiful opportunity).

So I'm probably the only person you'll find happily blowing the poo poo out of castles, and using Fire Bomb Throwers even in open field battles (where I get more use out of them then during sieges). There is one thing I'll be trying to figure out on the weekend. I mean sure, you have to repair the gates, but it hasn't particularly backfired on normal difficulty.

Can mangonels actually fire beyond their displayed targeting area? Or is the game just targeting at it's maximum range and mangonels just being so inaccurate I 'miss' in the general direction of what I'm aiming for?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I Find for oda is expand as much west as posibble. You can defend the west with three bottle necks. Something like mikawa, south shinano, echizen. And all the provinces in an around kyoto are mad bank with fertile and v.fertile.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TyphoidLarry posted:

Rapid early expansion ASAP, even at the expense of early game econ/growth. As Oda, your Ashigaru are better then every other clan around you, with the exception of Ikko who can match with Loan Sword spam. However, you want to leverage this advantage as hard as you can before the AI starts churning out samurai.

When I play Oda, generally my first move is to try to consolidate an easy to defend position. This plays out in a few steps:
1. Go south, crush Tokugawa. Leave a defensive force in Mikawa.
2. Go north, take Mino and then South Shinano. South Shinano is an incredibly good choke point: throw up a fortress/castle and plop a 6-8 ashigaru in there: it'll be safe for the entire game.
3. At this point, hopefully Imagawa has thrown his main stack against your Mikawa garrison and gotten shredded. If so, mop it up and then push through the Imagawa's token forces until you take Suruga. Though Totomi is something better of a defensive position, Suruga has a library and I can't pass up that +20% research. After that if the Imagawa are still around, vassal them so they can defend your border. Otherwise leave a defensive force in Suruga and try to get friendly with the local clans. (Another thing to note is that you're bordering Izu (gold) and Sagami (blacmskith). Taking these provinces can be great, but it opens up multiple fronts to Kai and Musashi.)
4. Finally, time to start going west. If you have the troops to spare, Take Omi and Ise at roughly the same time, otherwise start with Omi. By this point you'll have needed swarms of Ashigaru for all the defensive stacks and invasions, so your economy is probably on the brink of collapse. Omi will help stabilize it.

At this point, you're in a good position to take a breather and build up your econ. There are several expansion paths you can take in any particular order.
1. If you're worried about the Omi/Mino northern border, send two stacks up. Have one go East and push to Kaga (Blacksmith + a good chokepoint) and have the other go west to Tajima. Make sure you quickly swoop down and pacify Tamba to the South East: they border the shogun so you have nothing to fear there since he never tries to take land.
2. Consolidate central Japan. Have your Ise forces push out to take the south (Yamato, Kii), and have the Omi force take the north (Iga, Kawachi, Settsu).
3. Expand west to take Izu and Sagami for the gold mines/blacksmith, but if you're going to do this you might also want to take Kai and Musashi. Either way, this will at the minimum double the number of fronts you have to defend come RD, so the choice is your's.

So you do some of this, consolidate your power, and have a lot of defensible fronts. Awesome! But now you've hit RD! :ohdear: So where do you go from here?
1. Take Kyoto. It's right in your backyard, and that monk will just run around annoying you. Gather some stacks up and crush him.
2. Expand West down the mainland! Notice that almost all the provinces are are straight in a line, which means you can just plow forward without worrying about additional fronts like the East.
3. Get those 25 (or 60) provinces and win the game! :toot:

So yeah. A lot of :words: to kind of sum up my high level strategy for Oda. Also I'd like to stress that this is by no means the strategy you have to follow to win as Oda. This is just the strategy that I've found works pretty darn well, and might help you settle into the groove. If you're following it and suddenly poo poo hits the fan, toss it out and improvise. Best laid plans, and all that. :v:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 3, 2013

TyphoidLarry
Sep 4, 2011
Thank you guys for your good advice. I'm currently far from my current home in Texas, visiting my folks in the north country of NY state, but when I get back I'm eager to fire up Shogun 2 and give it a shot. Sadly, I think I modded it with Dathmod some time ago to get more utility out of the game, but hopefully the advice you gave me will hold.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I enjoyed naval battles and got a better handle of them long before land battles. Naval fights practically pay for themselves. I won't spoil future battles, but did anyone notice the stats on Hull Strength? Funny thing about the differences of Bunes and what you can consider the Japanese dreadnought.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Forgot one of the other main reasons I prefer to burn gates and storm in vs climbing walls.

Fighting at the walls sucks. It wasn't going to happen in the battle at Ise when the defender had so few units, but when there is even or relatively even numbers of units on either side of the fight if the defender brings melee units up to defend the walls from climbers then things start to suck hard for the climbing units. Even if they are not getting shot by archers on the approach, they take the climbing casualties, have spent a considerable amount of stamina getting there and climbing up, and then trickle over the wall into the face of a defending unit just waiting for them. That never goes well for attacking ashigaru. They will die and rout quickly. I don't even like doing that with samurai because even if they do win, they'll take heavy losses.

I imagine some peoples answer to that is to attack less defended forts, or get a bigger army before going in. But I find I can fight a 1:1 assault just fine my way.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Jade Star posted:

I imagine some peoples answer to that is to attack less defended forts, or get a bigger army before going in. But I find I can fight a 1:1 assault just fine my way.

It is VERY situational. If it's a target I flat-out need to have THIS TURN at roughly 1:1 odds, I will happily burn down gates. I'm also more likely to burn down gates when the area I'm attacking is my sole front, IE, there's not any risk of reinforcements or a counterattack swooping in. I tend to save it for finishing off a clan's last bastion.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Hey everyone,

I didn't quite manage to get the update out this weekend like I had planned as a few things came up with ate all my LP time. I've cut it down a bit and should have it out in the next day or two. The adventures of Schrödinger's Chisato continues, with her current mission giving her a 65% chance of survival. Did she live through this one or is she dead inside a box? Only by opening it will we find out! One way or the other though, I find myself needing a new ninja...

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

shalcar posted:

Hey everyone,

I didn't quite manage to get the update out this weekend like I had planned as a few things came up with ate all my LP time. I've cut it down a bit and should have it out in the next day or two. The adventures of Schrödinger's Chisato continues, with her current mission giving her a 65% chance of survival. Did she live through this one or is she dead inside a box? Only by opening it will we find out! One way or the other though, I find myself needing a new ninja...

Total War: A game in which your Ninjas and Assassins make the hit with 25% success chance, but completely flub up burning a granary at 80%

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Played my own game through to a couple of turns after Realm Divide, just around turn 105 or so, and you guys were not kidding, all of my trade income dried up and all of my previous friends declared on me the next turn... I was somewhat ready, I had 4 stacks of mostly experienced samurai led by my daimiyo and his sons filtering onto southern Honshu, pretty much into the provinces that I held there next to the ones the Chosokabe held there. My economy was also relatively strong, though I had blown most of my previous 30k+ koku surplus improving infrastructure and building more armies. Once my new armies were taken into consideration, but before Realm Divide, I went from mid 9k+ income to around 8.5k koku a turn. Once all the inter-clan trade dried up, it dropped to around 5~6k a turn, since I still held a couple of trade nodes and had decent sized fleets to hold them.

There was one province on Shikoku that was in control of a minor clan that had revolted away from the Chosokabe, but they captured it the turn right before I was ready to move my own army in; I had a fleet with my daimiyo and his massive samurai stack embarked, ready to move on the castle there once I declared war, but they took it the turn before I was to disembark...

By that point, my monk revolting operations were going fill strength: I had 2 monks, one at Rank 2 and one at Rank 3, trying to foment revolts in their lightly defended provinces and sweeping my own massive stack full of samurai and led by one of my daimiyo's sons into the province to capture the town after the rebels took over. Guess the Chosokabe got tired of me trying to make it happen in one specific province, they sent a Rank 4 Metsuke to try and get rid of my monks. My level 3 monk was imprisoned for a turn, and when I sent my Rank 2 monk into the same province, the same thing happened to him. Once my Rank 3 monk recovered, I dangled a low ranking Ninja nearby, waited for the Metsuke to move in and execute him, then sent my Rank 3 monk in to indoctrinate him, removing the threat. Also thought to level up my Ninjas and Monks by doing minor army sabotage and demoralization missions on small Chosokabe armies.

Guess they got tired of me doing so once I captured my 15th or so province: Aki, the former Mori home province that they had held until a Monk fomented revolt kicked them out while my Heir's mostly samurai stack sat outside the province borders ready to sweep in and capture the place, and did so the turn afterwards. They broke their longstanding alliance with me the next turn, although their trade agreement still held up. I checked my daimiyo's honor, and there was no broken alliance malus, so I figured that the alliance had just run its course. Decided to try and renew it, and they agreed to do so readily with no preconditions.

By this time, they were already moving some sizable armies commanded by high ranking family members to around my borders, and they had just captured the Black Ship a couple of turns ago: I was tailing it with a Trade Ship while building up a fleet to try and take it on out of two that I had camped just off of a trade node that the Chosokabe occupied for when things turned hostile. Should've noticed something was up, but I stuck with my usual routine that turn: moving armies up, scouting with my Ninja, trying to foment revolts with my Monks, reinforcing armies with whatever funds I could scrape together after queuing up more military and economic buildings, and researching higher level cavalry after picking up both Encampments and gunpowder troops. Did some minor missions with some ninja to sabotage armies for some XP, and that might have pissed them off some more...

They cancelled my alliance again the next turn, and again I noticed that there was no honor hit to my daimiyo. When I tried to once again renew the alliance, they refused until I offered them a 3600 koku sweetener. I had no intention of dumping that much koku into another likely one turn alliance, so I let it lapse. By that time, the Hattori, ever in control of the Kansai area in central Honshu, finally decided to move on Kyoto, and captured it, deposing the Shogun and declaring themselves the Hattori Shogunate. Continued to move my armies up, tried to move a scouting fleet into the area around Shikoku, continued to try and harass their armies with Ninja. My daimiyo's stack was right on the border of Aki, near the Holy Site, with a large Rank 4 Chosokabe family member's stack nearby with some reinforcement armies. My Heir's stack was in Aki itself, and my other two sons' stacks were moving up into the general area.

Next turn, the Chosokabe declared war on me, though no one decided to dogpile in yet. At that point, I was still allied with the Hattori and the Uesugi, but the latter declined my calling them in because they were also allied with the Chosokabe, nullifying that particular alliance. The Chosokabe swept my two fleets tailing their trade node from the seas using the Black Ship to their advantage, then took out the fleet that I had scouting Shikoku. They then moved on my daimiyo's stack using their aforementioned family member's stack plus reinforcements. Wasn't feeling too confident because I was outnumbered, so I retreated my daimiyo and they didn't pursue, instead moving to get into range to take Aki's castle town.

On my turn, I moved my daimiyo's stack to destroy the two reinforcement armies now that the massive stack that was threatening Aki was no longer in reinforcement range. At that point, I didn't need Monks to foment rebellions to capture Chosokabe provinces since we weren't allied anymore, so the two armies I was moving up captured two of their provinces in the southern tip of Honshu in quick succession. That put me over the limit for Realm Divide, and next turn, everything kicked off. All of my former allies (really, all that was left at that point was the Hattori Shogunate, and we were going to come to blows sooner than later over Kyoto) declared war on me, along with every major clan left (my former allies in the Uesugi, the Date, the Hojo) along with what minor clans that had rebelled and broken away from the major clan blobs and which I had met.

I felt that the massive Chosokabe army that was moving towards Aki was too large for me to handle with my heir's stack, even with the defenses there, so I moved it out of the walls and destroyed a minor stack moving in from the north of the province which I had already used to give a Monk and Ninja more XP by demoralizing and sabotaging it, respectively. On their turn, the Chosokabe family member's stack took Aki as expected, then left only a token presence there to pursue my heir's stack, except he didn't have enough movement to force an engagement.

So next turn, I moved another family member's army (which has just captured Iwami right next door) into reinforcement range, then attacked the Chosokabe stack with my heir's stack, all but wiping them out. Captured Aki right back, then moved with my daimyo to capture the province west of Aki, and continue on from there, reinforcing as I go along, until I link up with my provinces next to Kyoto, at Harima and Settsu. Also moving in the north, capturing Hoki while already holding Izumo, moving west to link up with Inaba, which I already own, and again looking to drive south towards Kyoto. I figure once I get around Kyoto, I'll have 4 large stacks filled with experienced samurai commanded by mid ranking family members alongside my higher ranking daimiyo and heir.

Now if only I could squeeze a bit more money out of my economy to help build up and defend these new provinces I've captured... Need to recruit some defenders to add repression and get public order up while my armies move on to capture even more provinces. Taken more provinces in a short period of time that I have pretty much all game... It's almost turn 108, so I guess I'm on a good clip. Now I'm at 20 or so provinces, so I should be able to win once I drive to Kyoto and capture it and some provinces surrounding it.

There's also that pesky Rank 2 or so Chosokabe Ninja that keeps burning down some of my buildings in Settsu that I need to deal with. Can't afford the constant koku hit to repair the thing due to the state of my economy... Don't have a Metsuke free to pull off of money duties, since my economy is so tight, so I've just been training low level Ninja next door in Harima and sending them against it. One of them died in the attempt, but the other managed to wound the guy, so I guess I'll have a little breathing room for a couple of turns.

Also need to rebuild my navy after it got savaged by the Chosokabe. Right now I have at least 2 trading fleets going at the trade nodes (one captured from the Hattori after Realm Divide) and one attack fleet building in Satsuma. If only those Wako pirates hadn't raided my fleet there when it was going in for repairs after the Chosokabe attacked me in Sagami Bay...

I think I've got this under control, but any advice you guys could offer for my situation would be appreciated. I have no idea when my next chance to play this game will be, especially with me working at New York Comic Con all next weekend, but I guess it'll be something to keep in mind next time I get a chance with the game...

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Whats your daimyos honour. if its high enough consider looting some provinces to get some cash.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's never worth looting provinces. Subsequent to Realm Divide, vassalise provinces instead. Post-RD vassals don't switch sides on you, and bring in plenty of trade income. They also still count for victory provinces.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

vuk83 posted:

Whats your daimyos honour. if its high enough consider looting some provinces to get some cash.

Honor is at like 5 or so. Don't want to crash it by looting provinces, the public order and loyalty penalty would probably hurt. Besides, I don't really need the koku badly enough to loot provinces, just enough to build and upgrade a couple new buildings in my newly conquered provinces and maybe reinforce my army stacks and fleet, as well as train some defenders in my new provinces, as well as pay for agent missions... I'm making a little under 6k a turn right now, so I can usually afford 1 building a turn, plus some troops and agent actions, so it's not all that bad. Once the buildings in the new provinces come online, I should be ok with regards to the economy. Now if only that Chosokabe Ninja in Settsu would stop sabotaging buildings that are costly for me to repair...

I might do the whole forced vassalization thing with conquered provinces that are poor and don't have any resources that I need... Trade income would be helpful there. I'll keep that in mind.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Unfortunately, because of Realm Divide, I've learned you never have allies. You only have people who haven't gotten around to declaring war on you - yet. Since you'll have to fight everybody, I've stopped worrying about playing nice and backstab away.

I started a new game, to incorporate all the advice from the beginning. It's rather shocking how much you can make from a single province when you combine a gold mine with every economic upgrade possible.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

I might do the whole forced vassalization thing with conquered provinces that are poor and don't have any resources that I need... Trade income would be helpful there. I'll keep that in mind.

I'm convinced that vassal provinces exist in some kind of bizarre state of quantum uncertainty where they have infinite money ONLY as long as you aren't managing them. You can have a vassal province with horrible land for farming, no markets or rice exchanges, no industrial base, and nothing of particular value to trade, but as long as you're selling them trade goods they will mystically pull nigh-unlimited amounts of koku out of nowhere.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the naval battles actually take into account (albeit passively) the geometry of the boats involved. That's a nice little touch.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
An Unbreakable Blade

Autumn of 1548 (Enemy Turn)

"My Lord, Kitabatake forces march towards us!" announced the scout. "We have little time."
"Ready the men" ordered Taketoshi. "Have them form up and await further orders."
"You have a plan, my Lord?" the samurai captain inquired.
"I was expecting this" noted Taketoshi, pointing to the map. "Have the men form up here and launch a counter-attack. We will teach them to fear the trees."

The Kitabatake army, furious at our dishonourable night attack, have launched a furious assault at Taketoshi and his forces. While Taketoshi commands 2 Hattori Katana Samurai, 3 Hattori Yari Ashigaru and 3 Hattori Bow Ashigaru, the Kitabatake force is no less powerful, with 1 Yari Samurai and 4 Bow Samurai. While we have a substantial numbers advantage as well as a commanding melee advantage, it's never wise to underestimate the damage that Bow Samurai can do to even the most hardened force.

Click here to see the battle!
"CHAAAARGE!" bellowed Taketoshi, spurring his horse onwards.
To the Kitabatake it was as if the Hattori forces sprang forth from the ground itself. Caught on the back foot, they quickly tried to form a battle line, but the Hattori forces were upon them. The Kitabatake were not mere ashigaru however, but hardened samurai. They would not falter from such a surprise.

Luckily for us, the terrain is build to favour the melee attacker, with deep forest cover reducing the effectiveness of arrow fire by a substantial margin. Given this turn of good luck, we will want to do everything in our power to wipe out the Kitabatake forces, so that Taketoshi doesn't need to mop up and can move onto our next front.

With a titanic crash, Taketoshi and his bodyguard slammed into the Kitabatake archers, scattering them from the force of the impact. On the other side of the archers, he could see the Kitabatake Daimyo commanding his forces. In a moment, their eyes met and Taketoshi raised his sword to the sky.
"FIGHT ME!" he roared. "COME FIGHT ME, YOU COWARD!"
But the Kitabatake were no fools, samurai keeping themselves between the two would be titans, ensuring their Lords safety.

A stunning victory! With less than half of the losses of the Kitabatake and most of our losses ashigaru to the samurai of the Kitabatake, it's a commanding performance. Although with the losses Taketoshi's force is starting to look a little light on, one of the benefits of being attacked on the enemy's turn is that you get your replenishment immediately, so most of those losses will be immediately eaten up by the replenishment cycle.

Their heroism would go unnoticed this day, however, as the Kitabatake battle line buckled, faltered and eventually collapsed under the fury of the Hattori forces. No Kitabatake soldier without a horse survived the bloody onslaught that followed.

Katana Samurai and Taketoshi, a clearly winning combination. With Taketoshi and his bodyguard killing elite troops at almost 8:1, he has rocketed up to combat rank 6 and is a formidable force in his own right. The Katana Samurai, too, have gone from strength to strength, with the newly minted rank 3 Katana Samurai now a power to be reckoned with by any standards. While Taketoshi is likely to drop to rank 5 from replenishment of the losses, a combat rank 5 general is still an incredibly powerful unit, boasting more melee attack and defence than even warrior monks.

Winter of 1548

"A fine horse" noted the administrator.
"The finest" nodded the stablemaster in agreement. "Our breeding stock is good and the pastures are plentiful."
"I should hope so" replied the administrator. "It's costing a fortune. You will be able to produce a steady supply of horses?"
"Well, I lack certain bloodlines and training facilities for the heavier horse" responded the stablemaster. "But if you want fleet and plentiful, I can do that."

With the construction of the Stables in Kawachi, we now can plug what has been one of the biggest gaps in our army composition, cavalry. Although the cavalry that the lowly Stables can produce is hardly a combat powerhouse, the manoeuvrability and morale shock abilities of any cavalry unit should not be underestimated.

The first building in the Cavalry chain, the Stables allows the recruitment of Light Cavalry, Mounted Gunners with a Gunsmith (Tokugawa only) and Fire Cavalry with a Proving Grounds (Takeda only).

Ingame encyclopaedia - Stables posted:

An army of peasants will fight as peasants. An army of foot soldiers will be ponderous. An army with horses will be fleet and deadly! Stables allow the training of light cavalry, who can quickly move across a battlefield to exploit a weakness or hold a line.

Mythology has it that the monkey protects horses and stables. This belief has its roots in the Chinese story "Journey to the West" about a monk and his companions, a monkey, a pig and a water spirit travelling to India. The monkey is making the trip as penance for disobedience to the Jade Emperor, who appointed him protector of horses to calm his desire for power. The monkey image is often found on stables, and a particular fine "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" set of images can be seen at the Toshuga Shrine, built to honour Tokugawa Ieyasu.

"The ashigaru is the heart of an empire" stated the samurai captain. "But the samurai are the right hand. Without us, there would be no-one to protect the holdings, no-one to uphold honour, no-one to ensure Japan keeps her rightful rule. We are the elite."

With the slow but steady increasing of the health of our economy, we are going to have to fill out Taketoshi's stack and work on getting a second army together. To work towards that, we recruit Hattori Yari Ashigaru in Settsu, Omi and Ise, boosting our military presence on the key borders. In addition we continue our slow but steady recruitment of Hattori Katana Samurai in Yamato to give our forces the offensive punch that we will need.

"What's wrong dad?" asked Masanari, watching his father with concern.
"War between the eastern clans" replied Yasunaga, crushing the parchment in disgust. "If this spills over, Omi could be at risk. You could be at risk. I can't accept that."

Two major eastern clans, the Date and the Uesugi, have declared war on each other. This might sound like good news, but it really isn't. Those two clans being occupied with each other mean that the clans with are just a little bit to our east now have little to fear from them and so can focus their attention west, into our rich and valuable lands.

"You are needed!" announced the magistrate, striding into the room filled with dusty tomes scattered around.
Chikafusa looked up from his scroll, blinking at the sudden light. "I told you to knock! What are you talking about?"
"I've received word that your certain talents are required" replied the magistrate. "Yamato, my informant said."
"What talents?" Chikafusa responded, wearily. "I'm quite busy cross referencing this third cousin of the Taira bloodline. Did you know that the Oda may have had the strongest blood link to the Taira Shogunate?"
"Well, I doubt it's your talent with women" laughed the magistrate.
Chikafusa frowned. "I was talking. A man called Ietoyo may very well have been adopted into the Taira family, although the records are sketchy. If I can just find the scrolls of Hisakane..."
The magistrate rolled his eyes and sighed. "Pack your things"
"If I must" replied Chikafusa. "Wait, what did you mean about doubting it's my skill with women?"

With the construction of the Market in Yamato last turn, we are able to recruit our fifth (and final) Metsuke in Settsu. Although we would get an extra turn of income from recruiting our Metsuke in Yamato instead of Settsu, the additional koku produced by the agent starting at rank 2 will far outweigh the extra turn worth of rank 1 income.

"I meant it's obviously your impressive library and research skills they are after" the magistrate responded, exasperated.
"Well, I do have the best collection of rare scrolls in Japan!" Chikafusa puffed his chest, before looking sceptically at the magistrate. "Are you sure that's what you meant?"
"Positive" responded the magistrate, poker faced.

Another rank 2 Metsuke, another Magistrate. Money, money, money.

Another retainer choice that looks distressingly familiar, extra repression or more money? With Metsuke, the choice is simple. :signings:

The Daimyo and his bodyguard had been good about hiding their tracks, but Chisato had been better. The small camp was well hidden, tucked in a small clearing deep in the forest. A large, ornate tent stood out from the others, even in exile, a Daimyo had certain luxuries. Chisato watched and waited, knowing that the two guards would be the slowest right before dawn. Luckily, she didn't have long to wait as one abandoned his post to go answer the call of nature. Her strike from behind dropped him silently.
"One to go" she thought, moving towards the remaining guard. Panic rose as he started to turn towards her. She started to run, knife drawn.
"That was qui..." the guard started, before his eyes went wide, staring dumbly at the knife buried in his chest. Chisato caught his lifeless body as it dropped, careful to make as little sound as possible. Retrieving the knife, she opened the flap and entered the tent.

All that remains from the Kitabatake army that attacked us is the Daimyo himself and 16 of his bodyguards. Since he is the only unit left in the stack, we have two ways of dealing with him. The first is to sabotage the army and them move in Taketoshi, which has the added benefit of giving an extra 10 experience to Taketoshi, but comes with the cost of keeping him stuck over here for another turn. Our second option is to assassinate the Daimyo, as if successful the bodyguard will disband, eliminating the army. Assassination is the riskier option, but it's worth it to keep our primary force on the move towards winning the game. Normally assassinating a Daimyo with a mere rank 3 ninja would be next to impossible, but with the small army size, ninja missions of all kinds are much easier than you would expect them to be.

Click here to see the mission!

Her eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness, three shapes telling her all she needed to know. The Daimyo and his family slept here. She had no quarrel with the wife or child, so she moved silently and slowly next to the sleeping Daimyo.
"A blade would be too messy" she thought. "No-one should see their father butchered."
Carefully, she took out a small piece of string and a tiny vial. Pouring a few drops down the string, she dangled the end over the corner of the sleeping mans mouth. Three drops of the clear liquid worked their way inside his lips. Chisato checked her own heartbeat, counting each beat. She could hear his breathing become laboured and finally, it ceased. Knowing life had departed, she slipped out and into the night.

Chisato is an unstoppable force of nature, not even a Daimyo can escape her blade! The Kitabatake threat is completely eliminated and the lands around Ise are completely secured.

Chisato had killed before, the red hot fury of life and death, adrenaline coursing through her veins, but this was different.
"Is that what I am?" she thought to herself. "A simple killer? Are my skills only for death?"
The image of the sleeping child haunted her, she knew that although the killing had saved many lives, it had irreparably shattered one.

For all her hard work and dedication, Chisato has reached rank 4. At rank 4 ninja are quite valuable, as they are costly and difficult to replace. Their risk of death from failure is also much lower (if only from the increased success rate that extra ranks bring) but that tends to even out as you send them on missions that lower ranked ninja would not even dream of attempting. Many a promising ninja is cut short at rank 4.

The thief looked her up and down, leering. "No wonder he married you. I bet you ride like a wild horse."
Chisato shuddered, her revulsion real, unlike her disguise as a moderately wealthy merchant's wife.
"Let's get to business" the thief stated, looking around the tavern. "Your husband wants... information?"
Chisato nodded. "He deals in weapons and needs information on the comings and goings of soldiers and other arms shipments. He will pay well."
"Oh, I bet he will" laughed the thief. "Of course, if he finds himself short of coin, I'm sure you could find some way to make it up for him."
Chisato felt her skin crawl.

At only 23 years old, Chisato is on the fast track to one of the fastest ranked ninjas ever. Nakamitsu finished the last LP at 30 years old and rank 5, so Chisato looks well on task to eclipsing the master (assuming she lives to see rank 5). She is wily, despite her lack of confidence, as it's obvious that she is a Master of Disguise, able to successfully escape detection in the event of a mishap as well as having Criminal Contacts which make her spy networks in towns even more effective. Both of these will give her options outside of risky missions and make her better suited to ensure our forces always enjoy a tactical advantage.

Two fantastic retainer choices here, one making assassination better, a straightforward and simple boost that is nevertheless invaluable to any ninja, while the other enables extra movement to any army stack the ninja is located in. What this boils down to is a choice between raw ninja firepower or extra army flexibility.

Agents gain a new icon when they reach rank 4 and rank 6. While the rank 4 icon is common for all agents of the same type, the rank 6 icon will differ depending on the skills that agent has. Not only does the icon change, but their representation on the campaign map will also change to reflect their new elite status. In this way, at a glance you can see both your elite agents and their specialities. Chisato is now one of the elite, in the company of the finest ninja in all Japan.

After the thief had left, Chisato remained, not even sake could make her feel clean.
A samurai sat down opposite her and put his feet up on the table.
"This table is taken" she noted, coldly.
"Sure is" the samurai replied. "By me. Let's get this over with. A granary holds many things."
"But also death" stated Chisato, finishing the codephrase. "What are you doing here?"
"I've been sent by 'Nakamitsu' to give you assistance" replied the samurai. "Name is Watanabe."
"That's an odd first name" noted Chisato. "What sort of assistance can you do?"
"Moving things. Bodies, weapons, armies, the usual." replied Watanabe. "You planning on being here all night? Let's go."

Chisato is no disposable asset (Well, she is, but...) and her skill-set emphasises escape, flexibility and defensive approaches rather than raw firepower. With our ability to produce rank 3 ninja out of the gate in Omi (Well, soon enough anyway), we have an near endless supply of mere assassins. What we need is to further build on Chisato's strengths and let her even further boost army movement, as the distances Yasunaga will need to travel in the event of major destabilisation on the front mean that having that little bit extra is the difference between getting there in one turn or not.

"I DON'T KNOW BUT I BEEN TOLD" bellowed Taketoshi in cadence.
"I don't know but I been told" replied the troops.
"SNOW MARCHING IS BLOODY COLD!" continued Taketoshi.
"Snow marching is bloody cold"
"HEAVEN SENDS IT DAY AND NIGHT"
"Heaven sends it day and night"
"KEEP US READY FOR THE FIGHT!"

With the Kitabatake threat eliminated, we move Taketoshi back to Yamato to collect the additional Hattori Katana Samurai and any other troops that are no longer needed. His stack is lacking in manpower at the moment, but with the extra samurai, he will rapidly be moving towards being able to expand again.

Korekata suppressed a shiver.
"Should have bought a heavier vest" he thought to himself. "Still, I can't let anyone see me cold, they will think me ill prepared."

Our eastern front needs defenders to build armies around and Korekata is just the man for it, moving to Ise to shore up the garrison there. It's unlikely he will see any action in the short term, but he will be needed for defensive purposes soon enough.

"The Ikko Ikki rival even your holding, my Lord" the advisor noted. "Although they are our allies, perhaps there is still reason for concern."
"An alliance is only held together by the whim of the strong" replied Yasunaga. "With each day that passes, I wonder if now it is the Ikko that keep us around instead."

The reason for this is the Ikko Ikki. As you can see, the yellow menace to our east is expanding out of control, they control as many provinces as we do! Although they have been loyal and steadfast allies the entire game, they are simply too large a threat to ignore and we will have to put ourselves in a position to take advantage of whatever happens. By keeping some pressure up on their borders, we reduce the likelihood of them attempting to backstab us while also letting us scoop up juicy provinces if, for example, a disaster was to befall them...

"Does no-one else like us, dad?" asked Masanari. "I think friends are good to have."
"They are indeed good to have" laughed Yasunaga. "But we don't have many, anymore. People fear us, for we are strong."

For all my paranoia though, they love us (as does the Shogun and our vassal), which is more than I can say for the rest of Japan. Average opinion appears slightly disfavourable towards us, although not so low that diplomacy won't work. Nevertheless, if we present any weakness we can expect war declarations from most of the clans in Japan.

"How strong?" asked Masanari. "Do we have the biggest muscles?"
"We do indeed!" replied Yasunaga, striking a pose and flexing, causing Masanari to burst into a fit of giggles. "We have more muscles than anyone else!"

Our finances, on the other hand, are incredibly healthy, with our tax take a full ~1600 koku higher than this time last year. In addition, we have added another ~900 koku worth of upkeep to our military forces which makes our armies competitive throughout Japan while still raising our overall profit margins. Easy and fast koku gains are drying up, but with careful economic investment we can continue to nurture an economy and fighting force that would be impervious to Realm Divide.

Sneak Peak: True Masters of Kisho

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

All should fear the shadowy prowess of Chisato! Truly, she is the left hand of the Hattori clan!

Also, Taketoshi is a beast.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

That deposed Kitabatake daimiyo really did all the work for you, running his samurai into the fray. Of course, honor demanded he do so, but it was a pointless errand. Sure, they might have killed a bunch of ashigaru, but the woods nullified their ranged bow samurai advantage, and your Katana Samurai cut through their Yari and Bow Samurai without problem. And that charge by Taketoshi was great! Scattered all those Bow Samurai and set up that chain rout once you got behind their lines. Sure, the charge was blunted because of the woods, but it worked.

Our first rank 4 Ninja, hopefully the first of many! Chisato continues to be a beast, and is a worthy successor to Nakamitsu! With their daimiyo dead, the Kitabatake are no threat to you any longer.

Now you just have to worry about the Ikko Ikki, growing as large as they have...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 10, 2013

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So what does a rank 6 general's combat stats look like?

You weren't kidding about forests, I was sure your general's unit was going to slaughter those samurai archers, and they lost 8 guys!

Also, one little thing, it feels sometimes like your battle commentaries are a bit rushed at the end, please feel free to continue your explanations over the end screen.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Cassa posted:

So what does a rank 6 general's combat stats look like?

18 Morale, 20 Melee Attack and 12 Melee Defence. They are absolute beasts.

Cassa posted:

Also, one little thing, it feels sometimes like your battle commentaries are a bit rushed at the end, please feel free to continue your explanations over the end screen.

It's mainly a problem on the shorter battles, since I don't have as much time as I would like to go through all the mechanics at play while still covering the battle suitably. I'll try taking it a little easier at the end screen in future =)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

shalcar posted:

It's mainly a problem on the shorter battles, since I don't have as much time as I would like to go through all the mechanics at play while still covering the battle suitably. I'll try taking it a little easier at the end screen in future =)

Perfect. Remember, those who just want to see little pixelmans die will stop when the fighting stops whether there's 10 seconds or 45 left; those of us who want to hear your information and thoughts on how everything went will stick around as long as you keep talking.

• Locked thread