Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
:siren: :siren: This is all out of date, and is currently being revised! Just read the last few pages of the thread, it'll be much more helpful for you. :siren: :siren:

What is this?
A Hackintosh is a non-Apple computer that has OS X installed.

Is this legal?
Yes, it is a bit legally dubious. No, there are not going to be SWAT teams busting down your door. Be smart, buy your copy of OS X, don't sell the computer with OS X on it or try to sell computers with OS X on them.

Can I use it as my everyday computer?
Yes! If installed correctly, it will be just as stable as a real Mac once it gets up and running.

Can I run OS X on my 33MHz 386 with 8MB of ram?
No.

What are the minimum requirements?
Anything Merom or newer from Intel will work, but a Sandy Bridge chip is strongly recommended.

Can I use a Atom/AMD/Cyrix processor?
No. It is vaguely possible, but I don't recommend it in the least.

Can I make a hackintosh out of a laptop?
Yes, but tread with caution. Google your model and find out if others have had success. If you can't find anything, post its specs in here, and one of us can probably tell you if it is worth trying.

How do I make one?
There are a few different methods, depending on your computer. I personally like myHack for new hackintosh users. Unfortunately, myHack simply does not work with the latest Mavericks, and it has not yet been updated and likely will never be. Therefore, use Unibeast for now, but don't loving buy anything from his links and use adblock so you don't give that fucker a dime.

But Unibeast is really popu... :fuckoff:
Tonymacx86 is a pile of poo poo that has stolen from a huge number of people in the hackintosh community, don't use his software and especially don't use his links to buy his recommended hardware because they make him money, although the lists themselves are pretty good. Important corollary: Multibeast is pretty good for the new hackintosher, just don't use the first two options, only install drivers.

I want one, what hardware should I buy?
I recommend looking at any Gigabyte board from the latest generation of Intel chipset. For video cards, get a nVidia GT640 or greater or a GTX760 or greater.

Can I overclock?
Yes. I run a 4.5GHz Sandy Bridge chip on my main rig with no issues. You need a custom SSDT. This is the most understandable guide I have seen on SSDT editing.

I see these things called distros on torrent sites. Should I use one?
No! They are :filez:, and usually sloppily done hacks made by some 16 year old kid in Russia somewhere.

How do I make a hackintosh without a real Mac?
It can't be done. Borrow a real mac from a friend.

Last Edit 6-7-15: Preparing for revamp for the Clover/Yosemite World of Tomorrow.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I've installed it, so what?

Experto Crede posted:

:siren:Glossary of terms:siren:

Bootloader: A bootloader is the first bridge between your PC and OS X. Any who has ever used GRUB will feel at home. Can be used to apply boot parameters to enable graphics support for certain cards, boot in safe mode, etc. The two most popular are Chameleon and Chimera (a fork of Chameleon).

boot.plist: The config file for your bootloader. Lets you add extra parameters permanently to enable graphics, prevent kernel panics, etc.

DSDT: Stands for Differentiated System Description Table. Without going into too much information, it contains the info which allows your operating system to communicate with your hardware. Due to an incomplete ACPI implementation in OS X, you may need to edit your DSDT for your motherboard to enable certain hardware support.

GraphicsEnabler: A boot option in Chameleon/Chimera which enables a large selection of graphics cards to work fully without the need for modifying kexts, etc.

iAtkos/iDeneb/etc.: These are customised distributions, essentially copies of OS X which come prepackaged with drivers and tools to make installation easier. Whether you should use them comes down to your circumstances which will be discussed further down. It should be noted that these count as :filez: so don’t discuss where you can find them.

Kernel Panic: A pain in the arse. Like a Windows Blue Screen of Death, but can provide more information (e.g. which kext is causing the panic). The most common cause of these on a Hackintosh is a poorly configured piece of hardware.

Kexts: A file with a .kext extension which is essentially like a driver. Can be modified to add additional support by adding customised device/vendor IDs. You will often find various kexts for devices online.

QE/CI: Quartz Extreme/Core Image. The underlying hardware acceleration system for graphics in OS X. Will only work on a compatible/properly set up graphics card.

Verbose boot: Instead of booting with the standard gray Apple logo, verbose boot shows all the background processes that are running as the system boots. This will be your best friend when setting up your system.

My audio doesn't work!
Google your motherboard. If it doesn't work, post here with what motherboard you have. In all likelihood, we will tell you to buy a Creative X-Fi Go! Pro.

My wifi doesn't work!
The only wireless chipsets that I would recommend for a hackintosh is a mini PCI-e card from a real Macbook.

The App Store/Facetime/iCloud doesn't work!
You need a smbios.plist. Use Chameleon Wizard to make one based on the mac that is the most similar to your computer.

Sleep doesn't work!
You need a custom DSDT. Google your motherboard's name to find one if it exists.

Can I update my hackintosh?
You should reinstall between each major version of OS X, and check in here before installing any update to OS X itself. Install iTunes and other non-OS X updates with wild abandon. :siren: :siren: Even if we say it is OK, use SuperDuper's free version to back up your poo poo! :siren: :siren:

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 8, 2013

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The current Hackintosh Thread Recommended Builds:

Mini-ITX
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
Case: Silverstone SST-FT03B-MINI (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply
Total: $1266.11

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 15, 2014

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So what's the difference between this thread and the other Hackintosh thread? The other thread appears to still be open/etc.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

SourKraut posted:

So what's the difference between this thread and the other Hackintosh thread? The other thread appears to still be open/etc.

The old one is pretty much full of out of date to very out of date info. I've emailed Star War Sex Parrot about it, he told me to make a new thread, and I've emailed him to close the old one, but I don't have PMs.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sinestro posted:

But Unibeast is really popu... :fuckoff:
Tonymacx86 is a pile of poo poo that has stolen from a huge number of people in the hackintosh community, don't use his software and especially don't use his links to buy his recommended hardware because they make him money, although the lists themselves are pretty good.

But it works well, it's always up to date, and his forums are friendly and good. What are you actually mad about? What do you think he stole?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

akadajet posted:

But it works well, it's always up to date, and his forums are friendly and good. What are you actually mad about? What do you think he stole?

http://prasys.info/2011/01/tonymac-seriously/
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/278907-permanently-banned-from-tonymacx86/
http://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/17zh08/hypocrisy_thy_name_is_tonymacx86/c8a92p8
http://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/17zh08/hypocrisy_thy_name_is_tonymacx86/c8cz4kt

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I think most will agree on the dickish movies of tonymac, but at the same time, I feel like for many the tools they provide are the easiest/most-straightforward, and there should be a section on them as part of the OP.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I honestly don't think Unibwast beats myHack. Multibeast is pretty :krad:, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I still think it's odd that Apple doesn't use the centrino wifi cards in their laptops - I'm sure intel would be happy to give them some package deal.
(My thinkpad has a tiny whitelist of acceptable wifi mini-pcie cards, and none of them work in OS X.)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Anyone running on a haswell machine yet? I hear 10.8.5 supports it, so I'm using windows in the meantime. Another 10.8.5 beta was released today, anyone tried it?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

SourKraut posted:

I think most will agree on the dickish movies of tonymac, but at the same time, I feel like for many the tools they provide are the easiest/most-straightforward, and there should be a section on them as part of the OP.

That's the thing though, the tools he puts into his stupid packages aren't made by him and he doesn't give proper credit to the authors. He's a dick and you shouldn't support him. Hell, his "Chimera" bootloader is just Chameleon repackaged with a bunch of tonymacx86 bullshit plastered all over it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Most guides found on InsanelyMac, MacBreaker and elsewhere suggest people use Unibeast/Multibeast. I don't think anyone is saying you should give Tony money, but the thread should not take a :ssj:LET ME TELL YOU WHY YOU SHOULD USE DIFFERENT LOADERS:ssj: position on the drat thing, because less technically inclined people are basically reliant on him to take the many patches and fixes made by the community and package them together so they don't have to find the sources and do all the work themselves.

For a linux comparison, Canonical has done one or two things that I think are dickish in the past three years but aside from a brief flirt with Debian testing I have always used Ubuntu or a derivative because ultimately my philosophies are secondary to something working.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Computer viking posted:

I still think it's odd that Apple doesn't use the centrino wifi cards in their laptops - I'm sure intel would be happy to give them some package deal.
(My thinkpad has a tiny whitelist of acceptable wifi mini-pcie cards, and none of them work in OS X.)

I run OS X on my T420s, and there's a lot of different sites where people will make a modified BIOS that ignores the whitelist. On Thinkpads, it is as simple as changing one byte.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Anyone running on a haswell machine yet? I hear 10.8.5 supports it, so I'm using windows in the meantime. Another 10.8.5 beta was released today, anyone tried it?

I've set up a Haswell hackintosh for a friend. I would recommend 10.9 as I stated in the OP, it is as stable as ML was on my system, and it is easier to make the installer vs. a beta revision of ML.

Craptacular! posted:

Most guides found on InsanelyMac, MacBreaker and elsewhere suggest people use Unibeast/Multibeast. I don't think anyone is saying you should give Tony money, but the thread should not take a :ssj:LET ME TELL YOU WHY YOU SHOULD USE DIFFERENT LOADERS:ssj: position on the drat thing, because less technically inclined people are basically reliant on him to take the many patches and fixes made by the community and package them together so they don't have to find the sources and do all the work themselves.

For a linux comparison, Canonical has done one or two things that I think are dickish in the past three years but aside from a brief flirt with Debian testing I have always used Ubuntu or a derivative because ultimately my philosophies are secondary to something working.

You're right about Multibeast. Multibeast is a great piece of software, as long as you don't use the actual "post-install" part, and simply use it as a kext repository. myHack is better than Unibeast because it allows you to use beta software, doesn't have shitloads of bullshit "anti-piracy" checks, and allows you to set it up with a custom Extra folder if you already have Chameleon set up correctly with a DSDT and/or don't need the full suite of kexts that it typically installs/need extra kexts, like AppleIntelE1000e, which I can bundle into my Extra folder from install to get a perfect install right off of the stick.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 11, 2013

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

I'm trying to decide on an i7 laptop to hackintoshisize. Is anybody currently using a model that they like? 15" would be good. I'm thinkng an Inspiron of some persuasion, but it's tough to decide. This will be my third lappy that I've converted so I'm not a total noob. My finger keeps hovering over the buy button for a MacBook and I can't take it anymore.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sinestro posted:

I've set up a Haswell hackintosh for a friend. I would recommend 10.9 as I stated in the OP, it is as stable as ML was on my system, and it is easier to make the installer vs. a beta revision of ML.

What sort of build did you do? I've been itching to build a Haswell desktop but I'm a bit skittish on actually picking out parts.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

This is a pretty high end build. You could get a less powerful GPU, less RAM, etc.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sinestro posted:

This is a pretty high end build. You could get a less powerful GPU, less RAM, etc.

That looks pretty similar to what I was considering (plus I already have a GeForce GTX 660 Ti to pop in there). Were there any problems with it?

Putting the entire Tonymac issue aside, I don't like using packages like Multibeast because they tend to install things you don't need; I did the entire Hackintosh setup poo poo on the machine I currently have by myself. The only things I have on my EFI partition is Chameleon and FakeSMC (plus DSDT.aml and SMBIOS.plist, obviously) – so I basically want to do as close to an unmodified install as possible. Would I be able to do that with this board?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 12, 2013

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, it works pretty much perfectly. All you need is FakeSMC.kext and the latest SVN build of Chameleon.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sinestro posted:

Yeah, it works pretty much perfectly. All you need is FakeSMC.kext and the latest SVN build of Chameleon.

So no DSDT or SSDT is required? What I'd ideally like to do is just pop out the SSD I have in my current Hackintosh and just plop it in the new machine by just editing whatever is on the EFI partition. Did you need to create a SMBIOS or anything?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

OS X won't set your CPU's multiplier to the overclocked speeds unless you have a SSDT. You will need a SMBIOS to get iCloud et al. working, though. I used the latest 27" iMac for the system definition.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Adding my mobo's DSDT with Multibeast broke my dual-monitor setup, which sucks. Instead of troubleshooting I'm just going to reinstall, so you needn't worry about it.

Will Gigabyte ever start making mobos with Hackintosh specifically in mind, and dropping ever-so-subtly-coded hints in marketing materials letting consumers know? Would Apple conscript a paramilitary force from their stores and Genius Bars, and invade Taiwan in response? Or will they just do targeted drone strikes on CEO's instead?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There is approximately zero chance of that ever happening.

That first thing, I mean.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

muckswirler posted:

I'm trying to decide on an i7 laptop to hackintoshisize. Is anybody currently using a model that they like? 15" would be good. I'm thinkng an Inspiron of some persuasion, but it's tough to decide. This will be my third lappy that I've converted so I'm not a total noob. My finger keeps hovering over the buy button for a MacBook and I can't take it anymore.

Buy a MacBook. Even with the best hackintosh laptops, you are only looking at 2h of battery life.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Sinestro posted:

Buy a MacBook. Even with the best hackintosh laptops, you are only looking at 2h of battery life.

Holy poo poo. Congratulating myself on giving up on dual-booting my x230. Also none of my hardware would have worked and sometimes not the keyboard. On the other hand, OSX instead of metroface. Mac laptops are the best reason to run OSX and he should get a MacBook for sure. What I would do to an 11" MBA if I were a USB drive.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I am in-loving-love with my hackintosh. I think this is worth including in a new thread:

ALWAYS VERIFY AND REPAIR PERMISSIONS AFTER YOU USE MULTIBEAST AND/OR INSTALL KEXTS

1. Open Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
2. Verify Disk Permissions
3. Repair Disk Permissions

I don't know what this does exactly, but it is a step that MUST be done, unless you are attempting a Snow Leopard install with Multibeast, in which case you need to check the box in MB that says "Verify and Repair Disk Permissions".

In my experience, v+r has fixed issues I have had with proper sleep and sound functionality. It takes 10 minutes at most using a 7200rpm SATAIII hard disk, and if it involves issues following the installation of new kexts, this is worth trying. Just cold-boot following the v+r and give it a run.

So why is it impossible that parts-manufacturers would market their wares as hackintosh friendly?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
After Psystar got shutdown for basically bullshit reasons, I doubt any component OEM would be willing to advertise that.

There was a kickstarter for a OS X mobo, wonder how that turned out.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

P.N.T.M. posted:

I am in-loving-love with my hackintosh. I think this is worth including in a new thread:

ALWAYS VERIFY AND REPAIR PERMISSIONS AFTER YOU USE MULTIBEAST AND/OR INSTALL KEXTS

1. Open Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
2. Verify Disk Permissions
3. Repair Disk Permissions

I don't know what this does exactly, but it is a step that MUST be done, unless you are attempting a Snow Leopard install with Multibeast, in which case you need to check the box in MB that says "Verify and Repair Disk Permissions".

In my experience, v+r has fixed issues I have had with proper sleep and sound functionality. It takes 10 minutes at most using a 7200rpm SATAIII hard disk, and if it involves issues following the installation of new kexts, this is worth trying. Just cold-boot following the v+r and give it a run.

So why is it impossible that parts-manufacturers would market their wares as hackintosh friendly?

AFAIK files can be read only, write only or read and write. Repair Permissions checks whether to make sure that the correct permissions are in place. Also it should not be necessary to verify Disk Permissions as it will check them when it does a repair.
Its not impossible to state your wares as being hackintosh friendly but the cost benefit ratio is probably unfriendly.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
the text it spews out has a whole bunch of signifiers, which kind of looks like this

bloopity.apple has ---v--xd-, it should have -f-v---d-
bloopity.apple now has -f-v---d-

I may be reading into it too much, but each "-" probably signifies a permission, and the entire OS is a house of cards that gets mildly thrown out of whack with unofficial kexts. Repair permissions, lest your tower topple over.

I was upset when I realized my career path would force Macs into my life, but I honestly love tinkering with this thing. I'm already dreaming of a mini-hack in the future.

Edit:

Sinestro posted:

In Unix-based systems, this is also referred as 755 permissions.

That's really profound-ish sounding.

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 15, 2013

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I use Kext Utility.app since it'll do owner & permissions on both /System/Library/Extensions/ and /Extra/Extensions/ as well as rebuild your Kext caches.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The issue with permissions is two-fold: who owns the file (its owner), and what can different kinds of people do with it (its mode). A file is owned by a user and a group. Kexts must have a owner of root:staff, which means that they are owned by the user root and the group staff. Kexts must have a mode of drwxr-xr-x. The first triplet defines the owning user's permissions: they can read, write, and execute the kext. The owning group and every other user shares the same permissions: they can read and execute the kext. In Unix-based systems, this is also referred as 755 permissions.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I got a ton of Dell Hardware I'm trying to run Mountain Lion on, Latitudes from the D620 to the E6430, and Optiplexes from the GX620 to the latest 7010. I made my USB installer with MyHack in Snow Leopard, but on MOST of the hardware, the installer hangs at [PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN]. I tried the npci=0x2000 and 0x3000 thing, and replacing PCIOfamily.kext (not sure this was its exact name) with the one from Snow Leopard, but it still hangs in the same place. Thoughts? I manage to get Snow Leopard installed on pretty much anything, with varying degrees of stability, but I've only managed to get Mountain Lion onto an Optiplex 760 and 780. I always make sure drives are set to AHCI, is there anything else that should be changed/disabled in the BIOS, or any other boot flags I can try?

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
I would try disabling all onboard devices in BIOS, then enable them one-by-one to track down what it's choking on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sinestro posted:

You're right about Multibeast. Multibeast is a great piece of software, as long as you don't use the actual "post-install" part, and simply use it as a kext repository. myHack is better than Unibeast because it allows you to use beta software, doesn't have shitloads of bullshit "anti-piracy" checks, and allows you to set it up with a custom Extra folder if you already have Chameleon set up correctly with a DSDT and/or don't need the full suite of kexts that it typically installs/need extra kexts, like AppleIntelE1000e, which I can bundle into my Extra folder from install to get a perfect install right off of the stick.

I get that MyHack lets you install on drives with an NTFS partition already put there, which Tonymac doesn't like probably because he doesn't want to incur the legal wrath that comes with modifications to Apple's installer. I wound up finding an article on MacBreaker where to get the replacement files and patch my own installer.

Multibeast is fine. I do let it install a bootloader, someone on the guy's forum made a DSDT for my motherboard that activates HDMI audio (which apparently can be a bitch) and some other things if I leave the file on the desktop when I run it. It works. I understand that he's just packaging the Chameleon people's works and some forum poster's kexts and not giving credit and probably breaking The Hacker's Code in doing so, but I'm just a poor gently caress who wants to run his boss's OSX app. People like me just want to work, ethics be damned.

Slid Zion
Jun 7, 2013
I got an Sandy Bridge system (p67a-ud2-b3) and its running great and stable, the only visual problem is that HDD are identified as external drives. I have seen somewhere that reinstalling some kext´s will solve it. i'm hesitant to tinker with it... Anyone else got the same problem?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

So I just built a new machine around a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H and it's either freezing or rebooting right after Chameleon gets to "Processing XSDT". Anyone know whats going on?

e: huh. 10.9 actually worked instead, guess I'll have to install that

e2: of course, after booting the 10.9 installer the old 10.8.5 install works :wtc:. Holy poo poo is this thing fast.

e3: …but not quite fast enough :getin:. Anyone know how to get Chameleon/OS X to recognize DDR3-2133?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 18, 2013

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Handy tip for rebuilding kext caches (assuming your ownership and permissions are right), pop open terminal and run "touch /System/Library/Extensions" . It invalidates the cache and it immediately rebuilds. Very handy when moving kexts around.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

OS X doesn't control that. It will only tell you about the speed up to a certain point, but what your POST screen shows should be the actual speed.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hey, thanks for rebooting this Sinestro!

My last Hackintosh was the Dell Mini 9, maybe I'll have to try this again with some old desktop hardware.

movax fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It works a lot better with newer hardware these days. Basically plug and play with maybe one additional step.

• Locked thread