Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

New draft:

quote:

Experto Crede posted:

:siren:Glossary of terms:siren:

Bootloader: A bootloader is the first bridge between your PC and OS X. Any who has ever used GRUB will feel at home. Can be used to apply boot parameters to enable graphics support for certain cards, boot in safe mode, etc. The two most popular are Chameleon and Clover.

config.plist: The config file for Clover. This contains everything - from what kexts to patch (and how) to which model Mac you are pretending to be.

DSDT: Stands for Differentiated System Description Table. Without going into too much information, it contains the info which allows your operating system to communicate with your hardware. Due to an incomplete ACPI implementation in OS X, you may need to edit your DSDT for your motherboard to enable certain hardware support. This is a legacy term - you likely do not need to use a modified DSDT.

WebDriver: A driver Nvidia releases for their graphics card. Officially, it is for a few Mac-branded Quadros they sell. Unofficially, it contains drivers for all their current GPUs, including models that Apple doesn't use.

HDAenabler1: A kext that injects required data for on-board audio to work. The 1 stands for the 'layout id', which is, in short, the number of connectors your motherboard has. Almost everyone has Layout ID 1, excluding some laptops.

EFI partition: On real macs, this is where boot.efi is stored, which is a file that the computer loads on startup in order to boot into OS X. On a Clover-based hackintosh, it is where Clover lives.

Terminal: This one is harder than normal to define, easier to quote Wikipedia: "A terminal window allows the user access to a text terminal and all its applications such as command-line interfaces (CLI) and text user interface (TUI) applications." You will use Terminal to enter certain commands and to run command line applications.

Kextstat: A debugging command. Entering it into terminal provides a list of which kexts are loaded, which makes it easy to see if a kext you installed isn't loading.

System Information: An Apple provided tool for seeing technical information about your computer.

iAtkos/iDeneb/etc.: These are customised distributions, essentially copies of OS X which come prepackaged with drivers and tools to make installation easier. Whether you should use them comes down to your circumstances which will be discussed further down. It should be noted that these count as :filez: so don’t discuss where you can find them.

Kernel Panic: A pain in the arse. Like a Windows Blue Screen of Death, but can provide more information (e.g. which kext is causing the panic). The most common cause of these on a Hackintosh is a poorly configured piece of hardware.

Kexts: A file with a .kext extension which is essentially like a driver. Can be modified to add additional support by adding customised device/vendor IDs. You will often find various kexts for devices online.

QE/CI: Quartz Extreme/Core Image. The underlying hardware acceleration system for graphics in OS X. Will only work on a compatible/properly set up graphics card.

Verbose boot: Instead of booting with the standard gray Apple logo, verbose boot shows all the background processes that are running as the system boots. This will be your best friend when setting up your system.

-

I want to install! How do I do it?

Alright! Here's what you need:

An actual Mac.

Two USB flash drives. One 8gb or bigger (for the OS X installer) and one of virtually any size (for Clover itself)

The Yosemite Installer (get it off the Mac App Store - it's free)

DiskMaker X (Also free) - http://diskmakerx.com/

Clover Configurator: http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/

For use on the Hackintosh, once the install is completed:

Clover Configurator: http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/

Kext Wizard: http://wizards.osxlatitude.com/kext/download.html

You may also need the WebDriver, it is further down this post.

--

Let's get started. Plug in your Clover USB flash drive. Copy anything you need off it, then go into Disk Utility and format it as FAT, like so: http://i.imgur.com/lnYHSUU.png

Download Clover. Here's the latest version, as of 6/7/15: https://mega.nz/#!OVQFmAaL!_CKTdlW6vGb9JFIbIBQVL1kL6ALttKzTaL_xKy7kxus

Launch the installer. Be careful with this thing, you don't want to install it on the Mac's drive. Hit change Install Location and choose the flash drive. Hit Customize.

Under Bootloader, check 'Don't update MBR and PBR sectors'.
In CloverEFI, select CloverEFI 64-bits SATA.
Under Themes, select black_green (trust me).
Make sure Drivers64 is unchecked.
Check all options under Drivers64UEFI. Leave all other options in the installer unchecked.

Now hit install.

Next step: throwing essential kext(s) in. You need a copy of FakeSMC to boot. Here one is: https://mega.nz/#!eM41ACwA!f3LsT1m18fQ6LhZHGE2SBIBJsjLvx_PpyYN9Qx8R-2k

Go to your Clover flash drive in Finder. Go to /EFI/Clover/Kexts inside. You should see folders named through 10.6 to Other. Throw an (unzipped!) copy of FakeSMC in each one of them. Make a folder called 10.11 and throw FakeSMC in just for good measure - you'll be needing it soon I suspect.

Next up, Clover Configurator. Download it from here: http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/ - get the classic version so you can follow along with my screenshots.

Launch it. In Finder, open your flash drive and go to /EFI/Clover. Drag config.plist to the Clover Configurator icon in your dock.

This tool is used to build a proper 'config.plist', which is a file that tells Clover what to do in order to get OS X booting on your machine.

Step 1: turn off all 'Fixes', then hit the 'New way' button and uncheck those too. You should only have 'Halt Enabler, Generate PStates, Generate CStates' turned on, and the stuff you see in Drop Tables. Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/alilfUm.png

Go to boot. Make sure kext-dev-mode=1 is on. If you need the Web Driver, you will turn it on for here, but for now (and only if you need the Web Driver) we are going to completely disable the Nvidia driver - cards that need the web driver hang at black screens until you install the Nvidia driver. This fixes it - check the box that says 'nv_disable=1'. Again: don't check that unless your card requires the Web Driver.

Go to CPU. Everything should be blank.

Go to Devices. Inject, Add ClockID, FixOwnership, Reset HDA should all be on by default. I recommend only one change: HighCurrent. That setting enables iPad charging!

Skip over Disable Driver. In GUI, enter 'black_green' for the theme name. It should be set to 'embedded' right now. Skip over Graphics/Kernel and Kext Patches/RT Variables, for now. Go to SMBios.

In SMBios, click the wand icon. Click the trash can, select Mac Pro 3,1 from the drop down, click both 'shake' icons, hit ok. Almost done here.

Under System Parameters, change 'Inject Kexts' from 'Detect' to 'Yes'. Hit File - Save.

---

Right now you have a very respectable Clover config.plist. Next up, making an OS X Install USB drive.

Eject the Clover USB, insert the 8gb or higher stick. In Disk Utility, select the drive itself (as opposed to the volume name) so that 'Partition' shows up. Select '1 Partition', select 'Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and hit options. Make sure it is set as GUID Partition table. Once done, enter a name (important. don't name it 'Untitled - you don't want to put the Yosemite installer on the wrong drive by mistake) and hit apply - this will format the drive.

Launch Disk Maker X and let it do its thing. Point it at the Yosemite installer, point it at your USB drive and wait.

--

Once done, eject the drive. Go to your PC now. Make sure the BIOS is configured correctly for OS X - the user instructions on TonyMacs fourm (google your motherboard's model number + TonyMac) will be useful here. Insert both flash drives, reboot, go into the boot menu. Drives will be listed twice - you want to select the UEFI version of your Clover flash drive. Clover will come up.

Use the arrow keys to scroll around, select the 'Install Mac OS X' drive and hit space. Scroll down, select 'Verbose', hit enter. The installer should boot now. From here on out this is a normal
OS X Install (until we hit the desktop, anyway). Format the drive you want to install to in Disk Utility and install.

I'm done installing! What do I do next?

Well, it depends. If you need a network driver you should figure out what driver people install using Multibeast and install it. If it's a 'KIller Nic' (which are terrible in Windows but have an oddly great OS X driver) this is your kext: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/313-atherose2200ethernet/. The threads about your specific motherboard should have screenshots of what kexts people install. If you need help, reply to the thread and someone (probably me) will help you.

If your GPU requires the WebDriver, now is as good a time as any to install it: ]http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/85588/en-us. Once installed, load Clover Configurator and uncheck 'nv_disable=1' and check 'nvda_drv=1'.

Now, you can install kexts the old way, writing them to /System/Library/Extentions. You don't have to do that though, you can put them in the Clover /kexts/ folder and they will load like that. Keeps things nice and seperate. Your call. If you want to install it to Clover, just copy the kext in. To install to /System/Library/Extensions, you must use a tool. I recommend this one, Kext Wizard: http://wizards.osxlatitude.com/kext/download.html

Next up: Installing Clover to the Mac drive. Unmount the Clover flash drive. You'll need it later, but you don't want it connected for this. Download the latest version of Clover (linked earlier in this post) and run it. Your settings are the same as last time, with two exceptions: hit 'Install for UEFI booting only' and 'Install Clover in the ESP'. Install it and mount the flash drive again. Copy the config.plist and the entire kexts folder to the new Clover install. Unmount the flash drive. Keep it in a safe space - it's handy to have a known good copy of your bootloader somewhere.

Reboot, see if you can boot. Select your Mac drive in the boot menu using the UEFI entry for it.

HELP I DON'T HAVE ON BOARD AUDIO
First, make sure your on-board audio is supported at all. Google for your motherboard. If people are doing 'AppleHDA' patches in Multibeast you are golden. If not, get a $10 USB soundcard.

In the OS, grab Clover Configurator again. We need to mount the EFI partition again. Do to this, hit 'Mount EFI' in Clover Configurator. Hit 'Check Partition'. What you are looking for is the name of your Mac volume. Once you find it, take mental note of the /dev/diskX value above it. Hit 'Mount EFI partition', selecting the right drive.

Next up, download this: https://mega.nz/#!aJokVYJI!-6d42BaG9jSoh7CLEd8kK_BwUg9x4sLjgjmNmsRTfcw and unzip it. Throw it in your Clover /kext/ folder. Reboot.

In Finder, make a new folder. Launch Terminal.Type 'cd' and drag the folder into the Terminal window. Hit enter. Copy and paste this into the terminal window:

code:
git clone [url]https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC.git[/url]
Once it's done, open Finder again. Go into the newly created folder. You're looking for a .sh file - 'audio_cloverALC-100.sh'. Once you find it, drag it into terminal and hit enter.

You'll get prompted for your password, enter it. It'll ask you to make sure your EFI partition is mounted, make sure you see it on your desktop. If HDAEnabler1.kext is loaded correctly, you should see something like "Confirm Realtek ALC1150 (y/n)". If you see that, you are golden. Hit Y and step through the process. Once done, don't reboot yet. We can patch TRIM while we're here.

Hey, does there happen to be a way to get Clover to automatically make that TRIM patch that everyone uses

Sure is. In Clover Configurator, mount the EFI partition (if you don't already have it mounted) and go to 'Kernel and Kext Patches'. Here is your patch. Hit the plus button and enter:

Under name, enter 'IOAHCIBlockStorage'. Under 'Find* [HEX] enter '004150504C452053534400'. Under 'Replace* [HEX] enter 0000000000000000000000. Under comment, enter 'Trim Enabler'. Should look like this once you're done. http://i.imgur.com/KwFZuCH.png

If you've been following along, once you reboot you will have working audio and trim now. Reboot and they'll both come to life.

What's next?
I don't know, you tell me! I got a thing on how to modify the Nvidia Driver to disable its OS version checking 0 so it doesn't break after every update - down below, but if you don't use the WebDriver you are probably all set. Things should be working now. If not, post and let us know.

Use Kext Wizard (http://wizards.osxlatitude.com/kext/download.html) to install the modified kext. Reboot, done.

I want to learn more about Clover! Where do I start?

Get a good Plist editor and read this: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration. Soon, you too will be making your config.plists by hand.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now you are missing Bold close tags in section 1.

Bloody xcode, could have saved an hour for that :eng99:.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Now you are missing Bold close tags in section 1.

Bloody xcode, could have saved an hour for that :eng99:.

Fixed.

Yeah, you would have saved some time but you might have not noticed the en0 problem. I didn't have a fresh install to check if it needed Xcode CLI tools or not.

What do you think of the new Section 2 draft? Anything missing? I'm going to put troubleshooting stuff in Section 3 along with tips and whatnot.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 8, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In section 3 it might be worth while to have some "Shake down" tests/checks for a completed system to detect irregularities before you run into them. And no, I wouldn't have hit the en0 problem. Not too concerned since I went into it knowing I was a Lab Rat. :science:

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

In section 3 it might be worth while to have some "Shake down" tests/checks for a completed system to detect irregularities before you run into them. And no, I wouldn't have hit the en0 problem. Not too concerned since I went into it knowing I was a Lab Rat. :science:

Good idea. I'm thinking of covering 'App Store not working, what do' and AppleHDA problems and that sort of thing. Lots of little things that frequently go wrong to cover. I'll throw HDMIAudio in as an extra after the troubleshooting stuff.

Yeah, the file you deleted gets regenerated after. You didn't lose anything or put yourself in a weird situation in terms of OS support. Just the way testing goes.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One last thing, include somewhere as to what to do if you are upgrading from Chameleon to Clover as you current instructions detail a clean install. I wouldn't put it in section 2 as that would clutter/confuse things. Move Glossary to section 1. While having Chameleon didn't directly mess with my install, we ended up doing a near clean install by nuking system, library.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Here's a section 3 draft. Let me know if there is anything to add.

quote:

Troubleshooting

This is a good opportunity to kick the tires a bit and see if anything is broken. Launch Network Utility and select your Ethernet card. Make sure you see en0 as the name of your card. If it's not, iCloud/Mac App Store/Facetime/iMessage will not work. I have a fix later in this post.

Fire up a game, see if performance seems right.

Go into System Preferences - Sound - Output. Make sure you see multiple output devices - Line Out, Digital Out, etc.

Move the mouse around, see if you get any obvious lag. If the mouse is 'weird', deleting the 'AppleUpstreamUserClient' kext will fix it. Not sure what the hell causes this as I have never had the issue myself, but I've heard of it happening to others and can vouch for that fix.

Go to System Information and make sure you see the right Mac model - it should be Mac Pro 3,1. If it's not, something is wrong with your Clover configuration.

HELP MY NETWORK IS EN1 AND MAC APP STORE/ETC WON'T WORK

Don't worry - easy fix. For whatever reason the OS assigned something else en0, and not your on-board Ethernet. This is a problem as Apple uses the MAC address of your ethernet controller as the 'secret value' for Mac App Store DRM. If there is no value, you can't sign in.

To fix this, delete these two files and reboot. The files will get regenerated, this time with your Ethernet as en0 and not something else.

code:
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
A kext isn't loading!

Kexts not loading can be cause by multiple things. Common ones:

The kext is not for your hardware. Make sure this is actually the right kext.

The kext was installed incorrectly. If you are installing to /System/Library/Extensions, use Kext Wizard to install it. To fix the permission error causing the kext to not load, open Disk Utility and do a 'Permissions Repair' on the OS drive.

The kext is being loaded by Clover, but Clover is configured incorrectly. Make sure you have the 'Inject Kexts' option under System Parameters set to 'Yes'.

I'm having audio problems! I'm not seeing my on-board devices in Sound settings.

Audio is complicated. Some troubleshooting tips:

Reboot in verbose mode, and watch the verbose text for 'HDAEnabler by SoAndSo Loaded'. If you see some stuff about 'HDAEnabler', that kext is loading. That's the most important part of the puzzle. if it's not, there is an issue preventing the kext from loading - see above. Kextstat happens to be a liar in this one instance - HDAEnabler doesn't stay loaded - it injects the thing it needs to inject and terminates. So you won't see it in Kextstat. Reboot and watch the scroll..

Make sure the EFI partition is mounted when you run the audio_CloverALC patch. The changes it makes, it writes to the EFi partition. Mount it, makes sure you use that partition to boot OS X from.

If audio_CloverALC detects your chipset 'Confirm Realtek ALCXXX' you are good. At that point the problem would most likely be the kext injection being disabled - check your config.plist again.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

One last thing, include somewhere as to what to do if you are upgrading from Chameleon to Clover as you current instructions detail a clean install. I wouldn't put it in section 2 as that would clutter/confuse things. Move Glossary to section 1. While having Chameleon didn't directly mess with my install, we ended up doing a near clean install by nuking system, library.

Maybe I can put that in it's own section, after the 'Odds and Ends' HDMI audio/WebDriver mod section. It's a good opportunity to recommend nuking /S/L/E on a hackintosh upgrade/explain why I recommend that/push for people to reformat instead of trying to remove Chameleon.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Odds & Ends

How do I remove the WebDriver version enforcement?

Relatively simple, really. You're going to need a Plist editor for this step - if you have Xcode installed, you already have one. If not, get Plistedit Pro.

Go into /System/Library/Extensions. Copy 'NVDAStartup.kext' to your desktop. Right click it, select 'Show Package Contents'. Go into Contents and open Info.plist.

Here's the thing you want to modify: http://i.imgur.com/tyHe7Fr.png. For you, it should be currently be an exact version number. What you want to do is change it to be '14' instead. Save the plist and exit.

Is there any way to get HDMI audio?

Hdmi audio is a pain in the rear end. If you have Intel on-board Graphics, post in the thread and I can help on a case-by-case basis - there is no good one way to recommend. If you have AMD or Nvidia graphics, it is very easy.

Important note: you MUST have working on-board audio before doing this. Check it once, check it twice. Make sure your on board audio works unless you want to manually remove this kext from single user mode.

Here's the tool you'll need, and a guide on how to use it. Very simple. Made for real Macs, works for a properly configured hackintosh. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/guide-hdmi-audio.1499797/

enMTW fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I have a good 'Remove Chameleon correctly' thing in my head - I can't think of a way to remove boot0 from the drive, but I remembered how to remove boot1/2, breaking Chameleon entirely - along with upgrade tips and whatnot, but I'll write that tomorrow. Need to sleep now. For now, little remains other than writing that and editing Section 1/2/3/4, as needed.

I think we'll be ready tomorrow.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I'll be testing 10.11 against Clover and writing the new sections later today, get ready!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

So, uh, this is a concern:

http://i.imgur.com/CroA8qd.png

Should only effect patching Apple things, probably can be disabled (though no flags are provided in the developer documentation, unlike kext signing enforcement) but a little worrying!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'm doing the same, because I enjoy living dangerously.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sinestro posted:

I'm doing the same, because I enjoy living dangerously.

It's what an extra drive is for!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

CreateInstallMedia is still present and works, which is nice.

On the other hand: "USB storage devices, including internal SD card readers, may become unavailable after system sleep and require either re-plug or restart to recover.
USB input devices may become non-functional on some Macs after several days.
USB 1.0, 1.1 and older 2.0 devices may not function."

A new low, even for a DP1 :D

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Just booted the installer in Clover. Works fine. You can turn off the new security features by using an option in the 'Utilities' menu.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Installed OS boots fine too. A little broken (who am I kidding, a lot broken) like all DP1s, but it works on a hack. No native Maxwell drivers. :(

enMTW fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

So, is there anything left to do as far as the thread goes? Here's the truly final version of my 'OP' for you to do with as you will: http://pastie.org/private/pr4mcusvsdz7rc7bazq

enMTW fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 9, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Strange bug I keep running into with diskmaker X. It's the reason I accidentally nuked Windows.

code:
The disk could not be created because of an error: An error occured: 1. 2015-06-09 12:14:05.829 defaults[1452:140219] 
The domain/default pair of (/Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion, ProductVersion) does not exist
You might want to give alternate methods of making an install disk other than DiskmakerX.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Strange bug I keep running into with diskmaker X. It's the reason I accidentally nuked Windows.

code:
The disk could not be created because of an error: An error occured: 1. 2015-06-09 12:14:05.829 defaults[1452:140219] 
The domain/default pair of (/Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion, ProductVersion) does not exist
You might want to give alternate methods of making an install disk other than DiskmakerX.

Alright, gently caress it. CreateInstallMedia it is. That's the official tool, anyway.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok the other computer is done and I managed it pretty much with the instructions and tools given. There is the install trip report.

Had to find the network driver since it was different, a Realtek8xxx something. Got it here http://lnx2mac.blogspot.co.nz/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

After applying Clover to your OS disk if it doesn't boot by giving you the "No go" sign, the config.plist is either wrong/corrupted. Mine was a simple mistake of having 2.1 instead of 3.1.

If you use migration Assistant to bring back you old user account, you will have to do some clean up in your S/L/E especially if you used Chameleon/Myhack etc. While it worked with the extra stuff in, clean it up anyway to avoid trouble. Use System Information to see where it is from and if it is loaded or not. I should be only a single digit number of weird hold overs. Permission and rebuild cache for S/L/E as always after messing with it.

Can someone check is AppleHDA suppose to show up as Unknown, dated 19/9/2014?

After using Migration Assistant your machine will look like it has hanged or loading really slowly. Let it get half way before restarting via power button. It should be fine from that point on as it should boot properly and enter Migration Assistant again to do the transfer. Migration should be the last thing you do.

Don't be a hero and try to copy the Trim numbers by hand.

If you use the App Store installer fresh from Apple, you won't need the Combo update to get to 10.10.3.

When you install sound, be sure to know what chip you have just in case it spits out the wrong number. ie ACL1150, 887 etc. Also turn on the "Show volume on menu bar" and feedback so you don't confuse yourself wondering if you got it working. I couldn't get HDA enabler in Clover/kext and have the command line program run so if it refuses to run stick it in S/L/E instead.

Warn them about the command line interface dialogue so people don't get worried about it. Related to this is that ask people to make sure that their Network is working so tools like this can be DL on the fly.

Do not try to be a smart rear end and modify the Installer USB stick in anyway. Even a new folder which is then deleted will invalidate the install and it might be the same for the Clover boot Stick. If you going to have tools etc on hand, stick them on a third stick.

It might be a good idea to have your stick boot loader be different theme to your main so you can tell quickly which one loaded.

The GA H97M D3H F12 boot selection screen might wig out so enter bios to change boot disk.

That's it I think. Use the info as you like. But it is good to go and should be almost the same level of maintenance as a real Mac which should almost none.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Got it. All that was good advice. I'll incorporate that into a new version of Section 2, drafting it now. I think we're ready to do the new thread whenever the OP wants.

New version has links to troubleshooting steps relevant for each part, etc. Looking good.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 9, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

New 10.10.4 seed is out. Breaks the WebDriver nice and proper. Don't update if you need the WebDriver. Works perfectly otherwise.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Outside of those updates, looks pretty much ready to be done. Sorry for not jumping on it sooner, I decided it'd be a lark to piss out a small bit of crystallized calcium oxalate, which has distracted me from this.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sinestro posted:

Outside of those updates, looks pretty much ready to be done. Sorry for not jumping on it sooner, I decided it'd be a lark to piss out a small bit of crystallized calcium oxalate, which has distracted me from this.

No big deal. I have updates and stuff ready to go for my post 2/3/4.

Hope you feel better. Sounds painful.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 10, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

WebDriver workaround for latest 10.10.4 beta:

The 10.10.4 Nvidia beta driver doesn't work, oddly. The old one (http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.01.02f04/WebDriver-346.01.02f04.pkg) does though. Reinstall it and do the mod to remove the strict version check. Works fine!

Oh, one thing: in order to install the old one without an error right at start, get this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301416-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-yosemite/page-21#entry2132530

The app removes all restrictions (version, SMBios, etc) from the Nvidia installer. :)

enMTW fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 10, 2015

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Any tips for configuring my Clover USB to install Yosemite on an ASRock H97m Pro4 board? I found this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302041-guide-asrock-h97-pro4-yosemite-with-clover-uefi-installation/ But it's from over 6 months ago and references an older version of Clover and an older version of the Pro4 BIOS. Would the kext/config.plist/efi files offered in this guide still work for me?

EDIT: Wait, it's not that much older. It should be fine.

Something Else fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 10, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Something Else posted:

Any tips for configuring my Clover USB to install Yosemite on an ASRock H97m Pro4 board? I found this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302041-guide-asrock-h97-pro4-yosemite-with-clover-uefi-installation/ But it's from over 6 months ago and references an older version of Clover and an older version of the Pro4 BIOS. Would the kext/config.plist/efi files offered in this guide still work for me?

EDIT: Wait, it's not that much older. It should be fine.

I've never used ASrock boards, but so log as it is EFI based the info in that guide + my guide should work.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Can I just use multiple partitions on the same flash drive, rather than multiple flash drives as your guide instructs?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Use multiple Flash drives. The USB install will break and refuse to boot if ANY Changes are made after creating one. I only added some tools to it's folder and this was enough to break it even after deleting the items I had to recreate the installer. Also use the newest App Store version as it will save you step or two. Throw your tools on a third.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Something Else posted:

Can I just use multiple partitions on the same flash drive, rather than multiple flash drives as your guide instructs?

Technically yes, but practically no. You can put your tools on the root of the Clover drive, though.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 11, 2015

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Got Yosemite up and running! Everything seems to be working, audio was the hardest part but it seems to be working now. Thanks for the tips, oohhboy & enMTW. The next test will be setting up Windows 8 parallel. Is Boot Camp Assistant a good way to do that on a Hackintosh?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Something Else posted:

Got Yosemite up and running! Everything seems to be working, audio was the hardest part but it seems to be working now. Thanks for the tips, oohhboy & enMTW. The next test will be setting up Windows 8 parallel. Is Boot Camp Assistant a good way to do that on a Hackintosh?

Boot Camp is a good way, if you want to be able to boot in in Parallels/VMware/etc. If not, you can just install normally.

Use Boot Camp assistant to partition/etc, boot the installer as a NON-EFI volume. Under boot selection, select the installer drive that does not have UEFI in front of it. Boot and install.

(You have to install as non-UEFI as that's what real Macs do. They emulate BIOS as opposed to using UEFI)

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
One issue that has been bugging me is getting my monitors to operate past 10.8.5 (Mavericks is where this issue appears). In particular anything by Dell (a 2407WFP and a U2713H) which just refuses to get reconised no matter what way you plug it in.

Now this appears to be a legitimate mac problem as people upgrading to 10.9 has noticed their external monitors stop working or refuse to display at native resolution, even when forced. There is a patch that someone has made here, http://embdev.net/topic/284710#3027030
It seems to be the EDID not getting properly loaded, but nothing kicks in for me after running that script.

It does tangentially appear to be related to the Nvidia drivers as trashing them and forcing back onto OSX defaults (while completely breaking the display panel in the process) kind of showed you could get it working - but beyond that I've had no luck.

Has anyone seen any solution to this?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

WebDog posted:

One issue that has been bugging me is getting my monitors to operate past 10.8.5 (Mavericks is where this issue appears). In particular anything by Dell (a 2407WFP and a U2713H) which just refuses to get reconised no matter what way you plug it in.

Now this appears to be a legitimate mac problem as people upgrading to 10.9 has noticed their external monitors stop working or refuse to display at native resolution, even when forced. There is a patch that someone has made here, http://embdev.net/topic/284710#3027030
It seems to be the EDID not getting properly loaded, but nothing kicks in for me after running that script.

It does tangentially appear to be related to the Nvidia drivers as trashing them and forcing back onto OSX defaults (while completely breaking the display panel in the process) kind of showed you could get it working - but beyond that I've had no luck.

Has anyone seen any solution to this?

That's really weird. I've never had any problem like that. Which GPU are you using? Have you tried enabling 'Inject EDID' in the Clover menu?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

OS X 10.10.4 will be introducing an official way to enable TRIM for third party SSDs. http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/12/os-x-el-capitan-trim-support/

This means you can remove the TRIM autopatcher from Clover and just use the official thing, once 10.10.4 comes out. Notably, the command is not in the current 10.10.4 seed.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

enMTW posted:

That's really weird. I've never had any problem like that. Which GPU are you using? Have you tried enabling 'Inject EDID' in the Clover menu?
Nvidia 640 GTX - there's been no Nivida KEXTS or anything funky like that. I might put on clover and inject the EDID.
Other monitors work fine on all ports so it's not like the card isn't working.

Curiously a similar problem happens on Windows with the 2407WFP failing to to get properly recognized (it claims it's a generic display) - but this main issue has happened on two separate machine builds and I only got the displays properly working when I installed 10.8.5, Mavericks and beyond would just leave the monitors in standby.

Wiping any Nvidia KEXTS did force the monitors to display at a very low resolution, but even with the Nvidia Web drivers and SwitchX I wasn't able to get it up and running without it looking like a mess.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

WebDog posted:

Nvidia 640 GTX - there's been no Nivida KEXTS or anything funky like that. I might put on clover and inject the EDID.

Other than that I don't know what to recommend. I've exclusively used Dell displays for the past....10 years? I never had the 640 but I did have higher end Kepler cards and they worked fine with my monitors at the time.

Are you using HDMI to attach the monitors? Nvidia does weird poo poo with HDMI - stick to either Display Port to another DP jack (mini or otherwise) or DVI to DVI. It's a problem in Windows too.

No clue. Hopefully injecting EDID fixes it.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 13, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

By the way: There is one thing I didn't cover in my guide (and have no intention of covering, too risky for most) and that is Ozmosis. Ozmosis is a BIOS (UEFI) mod that enables you to boot OS X with no third-party (Clover, Chameleon, XPC etc) bootloader. Flash the new BIOS and just press F12 and select an OS X drive.

It does have one benefit beyond that, one thing it can do that Clover can't: It can boot FileVault 2 volumes. [Update: Tested and works. It's not straight forward, Oz needs a modification to allow you to actually type/move your mouse in the FV2 'enter password' field, but it does work after a mod)

It may also fix the iTunes Video DRM issue - if it has the configuration tables FairPlay requires, DRM video would work on machines with processors newer than Sandy Bridge. Solving the last remaining major Hackintosh problem. I'll check that tonight. EDIT: iTunes DRM works in Ozmosis. So there's another thing only it can do.

-

Obviously I don't recommend people modify their BIOS to get FileVault 2 support, though. Clover has support coming imminently. After years of the issue remaining open on the tracker, of FV2 never working in Chameleon/XPC/Clover/etc there is good news! Someone has figured out why it doesn't work in Clover.

Wait for it.

Keep waiting.

Clover is missing......the mouse cursor images that the FileVault 2 UI expects. The images are missing, so the UI hangs. That's the only issue. :sigh:. Years of human effort have lead us to this moment.

Since it expects them to be in the EFI firmware, a new 'module' will need to be written to pass along a file system containing the mouse cursor images. Probably coming to Clover in two weeks or so, whenever the guy working the ticket finishes it up.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What's the story these days on Handoff/Continuity-compatible wifi/bt cards? The Intel mini-pci card that came with my Gigabyte motherboard was never compatible with OSX in the first place and its very existence was giving me issues. I pulled it in favor of just using hardwired network and a USB BT dongle.

The problem I'm seeing though is there's the interference issue between USB3 and Bluetooth, so every now and then my trackpad goes all choppy. Would be nice to get a real card to avoid these problems.

• Locked thread