Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Anyone running on a haswell machine yet? I hear 10.8.5 supports it, so I'm using windows in the meantime. Another 10.8.5 beta was released today, anyone tried it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I recently built a Haswell PC with the intention of making a dual-booting hackintosh. I currently have Windows on a 128GB SSD, a 1TB HDD with 500GB partitioned for windows games. I plan on buying a second 128GB SSD for OSX when 10.9 comes out and the 2nd half of the 1TB HDD will be used for OSX stuff.

Is the 2nd SSD overkill for this? I could probably get by with 64GB Windows and 64GB OSX, but I heard that it can be difficult dual-booting from the same HDD. Presumably it will be easier with 2 totally separate boot disks.

This is my first hackintosh so I'm totally inexperienced with this, aside from reading about it online.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Is there a preferred way of dual-booting? Is it like boot camp, or do I just go into bios each time and select a different boot drive?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

So, mavericks is rumored to come out in late october now. Is anyone else sitting on a haswell system waiting to convert it to a hackintosh once apple releases mavericks?

release the mavericks tim

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Oh... I haven't shelled out for a dev account yet. That's the only way to get 10.8.5/mavericks right this second right?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Is there anything particularly advantageous for a prospective hackintosh user to getting a developer account? I'm learning to code in my spare time but I'm nowhere near needing to put things on the App Store. Is it useful for hackintoshy things (other than early access to beta OSs)?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

10.8.5 is out. Anyone with a haswell system going to try it, or just wait for mavericks?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I tried installing 10.8.5 last night on my haswell system with a gigabyte motherboard. I got it to boot off the USB to the desktop but the system timer was going like 3x the usual speed, so everything was messed up. Animations were fast, typing was impossible because it thought one key press was 10 presses, I had to hold the mouse button to click something.

I didn't have much time to look into it, but does anyone have any ideas?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

So I'm having some problems with my 10.8.5 install (Haswell i5-4570, Z87-D3HP, GTX650Ti Boost). I used the tonymac unibeast method and I am able to boot into the OS in safe mode only.

The last line I see is:

com.applefscompressiontypedataless load succeeded

Anyone seen this before?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

GraphicsEnabler=No isn't the issue, that's for sure. The usual boot flags won't work. As I installed the supplemental 10.8.5 from the start, the NVIDIA drivers won't install. I'm going to re-install the pre-supplemental update 10.8.5 and see if the NVIDIA drivers will install. If that doesn't work then I may just wait until Mavericks.

edit: Went back to regular 10.8.5. Tried to install the NVIDIA graphics drivers, but they wouldn't install. I think it was because I can't boot into regular mode, only safe mode. The system needs to be restarted after the install, and obviously it can't restart normally. NVEnabler kext didn't work either.

Posted a thread over here with more details if any of you could help out: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/111076-stuck-com-apple-applefscompressiontypedataless-load-succeeded.html#post675087

moon demon fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 6, 2013

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone know if Mavericks fixes this issue?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Momonari kun posted:

Success! I used the updated Unibeast and Multibeast and got Mavericks installed with basically no effort.

I ran Multibeast, chose DSDT Free, installed Realtek ALC887 Current, 3rd Party SATA, Trim Enabler, Reltek Apple RTL8169Ethernet 2.0.6, and the latest Chimera. No problems, don't have to safe boot any more.

I'm on a GA-A87M-HD3 motherboard with i5 4670k and a GTX 760.

Nice! I'll try mavericks tonight then and see if it works for me.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Nice! I'll try mavericks tonight then and see if it works for me.

Woooo it finally works! Got it to boot up without safe mode. I didn't have much time to play with it but at first glance there's a few things broken:
-wake from sleep. Have to hard reboot to get it running again.
-iMessage won't login
-App Store lets me log in and my purchases are all there except my favorite one: moom. Really odd....

That's it so far.

On a related note, what mouse do you guys use? I have a Logitech gaming mouse that I really like the feel of, but I'm really used to the mission control for switching between windows, and that mouse doesn't do mission control (unless a remapped keys I guess). I bough a Magic Mouse specifically for this hackintosh but I'm not sold on it yet. It doesn't feel right in my hands, though I may just need to get used to it. Gripping it lightly with a few fingers is not something I'm used to.

I love love LOVE gestures. I'm considering getting a tragic macpad, does anyone use one of those? Does it feel similar to using a MacBook trackpad?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

What is vt-d? I also had to disable it to get my build to boot.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Case and power supply don't matter.

Also, does anyone else use this wifi card? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007GMPZ0A

I was told by several sites that it is compatible out of the box. Which it is.... But I'm constantly dropping connection, which seems to be a common problem with that card. I "fixed" it by changing my wifi network to 5mhz and making it b/g not b/g/n. Hardly optimal but it makes no difference in my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, I just didn't expect issues when I dropped $40 on a brand new card. Lesson learned.

In other news everything else works perfectly :D

• Locked thread