Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

I'm trying to decide on an i7 laptop to hackintoshisize. Is anybody currently using a model that they like? 15" would be good. I'm thinkng an Inspiron of some persuasion, but it's tough to decide. This will be my third lappy that I've converted so I'm not a total noob. My finger keeps hovering over the buy button for a MacBook and I can't take it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Just clocked mine between 7 and 8 with an ssd. Sometimes it seems to take a little longer though depending on what I was doing immediately prior.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

You might want to put some RAM in it.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Is there a quick fix for lappies with only USB 3 getting stuck and not reading from the USB stick during installation start up? I think the error is 'Still Waiting for Root Device' and it's a myHack ML installer. I've tried every combo of bootflags that makes sense. I'm about to try remaking the install USB after I download ML again. SL went on the machine no problem, so it's confusing me a little. Why would the USB ports work on an earlier distro, but not on a later one? Did they completely overhaul that poo poo in L/ML?

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I have limited success using usb 3 ports in ml. Sometimes they work, but often they don't. I just use my usb 2 ports to be safe. I think Mavericks is supposed to fix this.

Suppose I'll take a crack at it. Will report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Nothing thunderbolt has been released yet apart from a few MADI interfaces that aren't particularly useful for a home setup. USB and Firewire boxes work fine on hackintoshes as long as you have a compatible chipset. Latency is generally a non-issue as long as your machine is relatively peppy. If you can handle running at higher sample rates, that slashes the latency to a couple ms usually. Staying under 10ms should not be a problem on a reasonably modern setup.

• Locked thread