Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
:siren: :siren: This is all out of date, and is currently being revised! Just read the last few pages of the thread, it'll be much more helpful for you. :siren: :siren:

What is this?
A Hackintosh is a non-Apple computer that has OS X installed.

Is this legal?
Yes, it is a bit legally dubious. No, there are not going to be SWAT teams busting down your door. Be smart, buy your copy of OS X, don't sell the computer with OS X on it or try to sell computers with OS X on them.

Can I use it as my everyday computer?
Yes! If installed correctly, it will be just as stable as a real Mac once it gets up and running.

Can I run OS X on my 33MHz 386 with 8MB of ram?
No.

What are the minimum requirements?
Anything Merom or newer from Intel will work, but a Sandy Bridge chip is strongly recommended.

Can I use a Atom/AMD/Cyrix processor?
No. It is vaguely possible, but I don't recommend it in the least.

Can I make a hackintosh out of a laptop?
Yes, but tread with caution. Google your model and find out if others have had success. If you can't find anything, post its specs in here, and one of us can probably tell you if it is worth trying.

How do I make one?
There are a few different methods, depending on your computer. I personally like myHack for new hackintosh users. Unfortunately, myHack simply does not work with the latest Mavericks, and it has not yet been updated and likely will never be. Therefore, use Unibeast for now, but don't loving buy anything from his links and use adblock so you don't give that fucker a dime.

But Unibeast is really popu... :fuckoff:
Tonymacx86 is a pile of poo poo that has stolen from a huge number of people in the hackintosh community, don't use his software and especially don't use his links to buy his recommended hardware because they make him money, although the lists themselves are pretty good. Important corollary: Multibeast is pretty good for the new hackintosher, just don't use the first two options, only install drivers.

I want one, what hardware should I buy?
I recommend looking at any Gigabyte board from the latest generation of Intel chipset. For video cards, get a nVidia GT640 or greater or a GTX760 or greater.

Can I overclock?
Yes. I run a 4.5GHz Sandy Bridge chip on my main rig with no issues. You need a custom SSDT. This is the most understandable guide I have seen on SSDT editing.

I see these things called distros on torrent sites. Should I use one?
No! They are :filez:, and usually sloppily done hacks made by some 16 year old kid in Russia somewhere.

How do I make a hackintosh without a real Mac?
It can't be done. Borrow a real mac from a friend.

Last Edit 6-7-15: Preparing for revamp for the Clover/Yosemite World of Tomorrow.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I've installed it, so what?

Experto Crede posted:

:siren:Glossary of terms:siren:

Bootloader: A bootloader is the first bridge between your PC and OS X. Any who has ever used GRUB will feel at home. Can be used to apply boot parameters to enable graphics support for certain cards, boot in safe mode, etc. The two most popular are Chameleon and Chimera (a fork of Chameleon).

boot.plist: The config file for your bootloader. Lets you add extra parameters permanently to enable graphics, prevent kernel panics, etc.

DSDT: Stands for Differentiated System Description Table. Without going into too much information, it contains the info which allows your operating system to communicate with your hardware. Due to an incomplete ACPI implementation in OS X, you may need to edit your DSDT for your motherboard to enable certain hardware support.

GraphicsEnabler: A boot option in Chameleon/Chimera which enables a large selection of graphics cards to work fully without the need for modifying kexts, etc.

iAtkos/iDeneb/etc.: These are customised distributions, essentially copies of OS X which come prepackaged with drivers and tools to make installation easier. Whether you should use them comes down to your circumstances which will be discussed further down. It should be noted that these count as :filez: so don’t discuss where you can find them.

Kernel Panic: A pain in the arse. Like a Windows Blue Screen of Death, but can provide more information (e.g. which kext is causing the panic). The most common cause of these on a Hackintosh is a poorly configured piece of hardware.

Kexts: A file with a .kext extension which is essentially like a driver. Can be modified to add additional support by adding customised device/vendor IDs. You will often find various kexts for devices online.

QE/CI: Quartz Extreme/Core Image. The underlying hardware acceleration system for graphics in OS X. Will only work on a compatible/properly set up graphics card.

Verbose boot: Instead of booting with the standard gray Apple logo, verbose boot shows all the background processes that are running as the system boots. This will be your best friend when setting up your system.

My audio doesn't work!
Google your motherboard. If it doesn't work, post here with what motherboard you have. In all likelihood, we will tell you to buy a Creative X-Fi Go! Pro.

My wifi doesn't work!
The only wireless chipsets that I would recommend for a hackintosh is a mini PCI-e card from a real Macbook.

The App Store/Facetime/iCloud doesn't work!
You need a smbios.plist. Use Chameleon Wizard to make one based on the mac that is the most similar to your computer.

Sleep doesn't work!
You need a custom DSDT. Google your motherboard's name to find one if it exists.

Can I update my hackintosh?
You should reinstall between each major version of OS X, and check in here before installing any update to OS X itself. Install iTunes and other non-OS X updates with wild abandon. :siren: :siren: Even if we say it is OK, use SuperDuper's free version to back up your poo poo! :siren: :siren:

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 8, 2013

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The current Hackintosh Thread Recommended Builds:

Mini-ITX
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
Case: Silverstone SST-FT03B-MINI (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply
Total: $1266.11

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 15, 2014

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

SourKraut posted:

So what's the difference between this thread and the other Hackintosh thread? The other thread appears to still be open/etc.

The old one is pretty much full of out of date to very out of date info. I've emailed Star War Sex Parrot about it, he told me to make a new thread, and I've emailed him to close the old one, but I don't have PMs.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

akadajet posted:

But it works well, it's always up to date, and his forums are friendly and good. What are you actually mad about? What do you think he stole?

http://prasys.info/2011/01/tonymac-seriously/
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/278907-permanently-banned-from-tonymacx86/
http://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/17zh08/hypocrisy_thy_name_is_tonymacx86/c8a92p8
http://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/17zh08/hypocrisy_thy_name_is_tonymacx86/c8cz4kt

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I honestly don't think Unibwast beats myHack. Multibeast is pretty :krad:, though.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Computer viking posted:

I still think it's odd that Apple doesn't use the centrino wifi cards in their laptops - I'm sure intel would be happy to give them some package deal.
(My thinkpad has a tiny whitelist of acceptable wifi mini-pcie cards, and none of them work in OS X.)

I run OS X on my T420s, and there's a lot of different sites where people will make a modified BIOS that ignores the whitelist. On Thinkpads, it is as simple as changing one byte.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Anyone running on a haswell machine yet? I hear 10.8.5 supports it, so I'm using windows in the meantime. Another 10.8.5 beta was released today, anyone tried it?

I've set up a Haswell hackintosh for a friend. I would recommend 10.9 as I stated in the OP, it is as stable as ML was on my system, and it is easier to make the installer vs. a beta revision of ML.

Craptacular! posted:

Most guides found on InsanelyMac, MacBreaker and elsewhere suggest people use Unibeast/Multibeast. I don't think anyone is saying you should give Tony money, but the thread should not take a :ssj:LET ME TELL YOU WHY YOU SHOULD USE DIFFERENT LOADERS:ssj: position on the drat thing, because less technically inclined people are basically reliant on him to take the many patches and fixes made by the community and package them together so they don't have to find the sources and do all the work themselves.

For a linux comparison, Canonical has done one or two things that I think are dickish in the past three years but aside from a brief flirt with Debian testing I have always used Ubuntu or a derivative because ultimately my philosophies are secondary to something working.

You're right about Multibeast. Multibeast is a great piece of software, as long as you don't use the actual "post-install" part, and simply use it as a kext repository. myHack is better than Unibeast because it allows you to use beta software, doesn't have shitloads of bullshit "anti-piracy" checks, and allows you to set it up with a custom Extra folder if you already have Chameleon set up correctly with a DSDT and/or don't need the full suite of kexts that it typically installs/need extra kexts, like AppleIntelE1000e, which I can bundle into my Extra folder from install to get a perfect install right off of the stick.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 11, 2013

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

This is a pretty high end build. You could get a less powerful GPU, less RAM, etc.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, it works pretty much perfectly. All you need is FakeSMC.kext and the latest SVN build of Chameleon.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

OS X won't set your CPU's multiplier to the overclocked speeds unless you have a SSDT. You will need a SMBIOS to get iCloud et al. working, though. I used the latest 27" iMac for the system definition.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

muckswirler posted:

I'm trying to decide on an i7 laptop to hackintoshisize. Is anybody currently using a model that they like? 15" would be good. I'm thinkng an Inspiron of some persuasion, but it's tough to decide. This will be my third lappy that I've converted so I'm not a total noob. My finger keeps hovering over the buy button for a MacBook and I can't take it anymore.

Buy a MacBook. Even with the best hackintosh laptops, you are only looking at 2h of battery life.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The issue with permissions is two-fold: who owns the file (its owner), and what can different kinds of people do with it (its mode). A file is owned by a user and a group. Kexts must have a owner of root:staff, which means that they are owned by the user root and the group staff. Kexts must have a mode of drwxr-xr-x. The first triplet defines the owning user's permissions: they can read, write, and execute the kext. The owning group and every other user shares the same permissions: they can read and execute the kext. In Unix-based systems, this is also referred as 755 permissions.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

OS X doesn't control that. It will only tell you about the speed up to a certain point, but what your POST screen shows should be the actual speed.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Netkas is the guy to look to for AMD graphics on OS X. To answer your question, 10.8.3 or newer should have support OOB.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I have had less issues with Mavericks then I have had with ML or any other version of OS X, and I've been doing this since 10.5 was brand new. I seriously can't think of a single Mavericks specific issue I've encountered. It's a "developer preview", but it has less problems than any full release of Windows or Linux I've ever used. If you use myHack, it is no more difficult than any other version of OS X to install. There's a reason I recommend it in the OP.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Attach your credit card to the Apple ID. I don't know why, but it worked for me.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

One is fine.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

You need a SMBIOS.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Not having a SMBIOS can cause all sort of issues. I know it made my SSD a lot faster when I switched it to a Mac offered with a SSD.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I'd recommend a cheap nVidia card.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

~Coxy posted:

I believe it's nothing to do with Gigabyte per se, merely that they tend to have the same ethernet and audio devices as real Macs do.
That means the kexts are easier, which means they are less buggy and more people use them, which leads to more build logs and tutorials which leads to a bigger community and more support.

:eng101: The power management "stuff" on Gigabyte boards is set up in the same way as a real mac. It is possible to change this with a modded BIOS on other motherboards, though, but the only ones with an available patcher are the P8* line from ASUS.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I'm knowledgeable about such things, why don't you send me one and I'll get it working.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I've been running Mavericks on my daily rig since a few hours after the DP was released. It's fine.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Dual boot on the main machine. Unless your time working is worth fractions of a penny per hour, just buy a cheap hard drive and use it on what would be an excellently supported machine versus struggling with a VM or a laptop.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Chameleon can inject kexts in its boot2. This is how no-kext-on-/ builds work, with Chameleon + kexts on the little System partition Disk Utility will make when partitioning.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

I'm thinking of going the hackintosh route so I can have Mac, Windows, and Linux all on one machine for various development and testing needs. The tonymac guide mentions a specific SanDisk SSD with a Sandforce-based controller because it doesn't need native trim support in the OS. Will any Sandforce-based SSD work just as well? I have a Corsair Force GT SSD I'd like to reuse and am curious if I should be concerned about trim support.

Also, if I have a MacBook Air (~2012 model) with mountain lion already, is that all I need to make a USB stick that can install mountain lion? Do I still need to buy a $20 copy of mountain lion from the OSX app store (not a problem if so, I'd prefer to be as legit as possible)?

You can do it on a real mac with rEFInd. I know because I have done it before.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

You can make not-ripoff Chameleon look just as good or better, it just takes about 5 seconds of effort with a program like Chameleon Wizard or Champlist.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Have you tried a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext yet?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Why don't you use a DSDT fix?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

That depends on the board. Before I got my latest rig, I had a P8P67 Pro that I ran OS X on and it worked quite well. It's not as well supported, but you can actually get patched BIOSes that improve compatibility. But that shouldn't be necessary, just an improvement.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Fano posted:

Any help is appreciated.

Don't. That's the only advice that I can give. OS X wants particular hardware, and the only VM software that does the right fuckery to get a non-unusuably awful experience out of OS X VMs are only for OS X hosts.

I mean, if you're a programmer, you should have the level of technical competence required to set up a dual booting system. If you post your actual machine's specs, we can (potentially) help you. But I'd suggest looking into dropping the class if you aren't able to get a real mac or at least use hardware that is wellsuited to what you want.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

That desktop will be pretty much perfect. Modern Intel with nVidia graphics is pretty much the requirements for a good experience. I mean, ATi cards work, but not as well, and not as uniformly. You'll need to borrow a mac from a friend or something, as I assume that you won't have the privileges required to make the bootable USB stick that you'll need to install. I'm a little bit out of the game as of late, because I haven't needed to do a complete reinstall lately, Unibeast is unfortunately what I would recommend for those not ready to make their bootsticks by hand, and comes with an guide online on how to use it.

I can't give more advice without specific hardware details on your desktop.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Your problem seems to be that your computer is lovely and old, and runs like an old lovely computer.

May I suggest buying a new, not-lovely one?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Installing Yosemite, clean install, with UniBeast only boots correctly once (requiring GraphicsEnabler=Yes.) If I try to boot it again, regardless of whether I've used MultiBeast with a custom DSDT, the progress bar creeps up very slowly then stops exactly halfway through. What's going on?

We need verbose boot information.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

death pip posted:

Sorry for the total newbie question - I've never tried to make a hackintosh before cos I haven't had a PC in years, but I've just bought the parts to assemble a silly gaming computer and I was wondering if someone could glance over this list of parts and see if there's any red flags that might prevent me from being able to install OSX? I think it's all pretty standard stuff:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£149.15 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£64.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£64.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£90.00 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£269.94 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£29.77 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Green HX 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.99 @ Aria PC)

Generally speaking is it safe to just give it a punt and hope for the best? I don't mind fiddling around as long as I'm not going to explode anything. UniBeast is what I'll be using as a first-timer right?

death pip posted:

Sorry for the total newbie question - I've never tried to make a hackintosh before cos I haven't had a PC in years, but I've just bought the parts to assemble a silly gaming computer and I was wondering if someone could glance over this list of parts and see if there's any red flags that might prevent me from being able to install OSX? I think it's all pretty standard stuff:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£149.15 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£64.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£64.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£90.00 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£269.94 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£29.77 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Green HX 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.99 @ Aria PC)

Generally speaking is it safe to just give it a punt and hope for the best? I don't mind fiddling around as long as I'm not going to explode anything. UniBeast is what I'll be using as a first-timer right?

I'd personally get a better power supply, but that's just me. The motherboard will be a bit of an issue; it's quite unpleasant trying to run on a board without a fully RW set of ACPI power tables, and only Gigabyte boards offer that.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Thanks so much for the help here, enMTW! I've been really busy with life/school, and I haven't even been able to update my personal machine to Yosemite, much less this thread. I'll be taking your updated post and editing it a bit, should be in the OP of this thread sometime tonight if that's okay. I've finally got some free time in the last few days, and I've actually been working on updating the installation instructions as I work out getting my own Hackintosh updated, but more help is certainly welcome from you with that.

It'd be really great if you could take the BBCode for that and put it up on pastie or something, so that I can use it without having to redo all the formatting.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I wasn't talking about using yours wholesale, but definitely taking inspiration from it in the sections about the whole post-Chameleon world, because I know fairly little about it. And, when/if I do use stuff that's partly yours, you can PM me or email me at SA<My user name>@gmail.com if you've got a change you want me to make.

Edit: I put a note at the top of the OP about a pending revamp.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 8, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

That sounds very good and equitable to me.

Hackintosh Thread 2015 nears. :boom:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Experto Crede posted:

:siren:Glossary of terms:siren:

Bootloader: A bootloader is the first bridge between your PC and OS X. Any who has ever used GRUB will feel at home. Can be used to apply boot parameters to enable graphics support for certain cards, boot in safe mode, etc. The two most popular are Chameleon and Chimera (a fork of Chameleon).

boot.plist: The config file for your bootloader. Lets you add extra parameters permanently to enable graphics, prevent kernel panics, etc.

DSDT: Stands for Differentiated System Description Table. Without going into too much information, it contains the info which allows your operating system to communicate with your hardware. Due to an incomplete ACPI implementation in OS X, you may need to edit your DSDT for your motherboard to enable certain hardware support.

GraphicsEnabler: A boot option in Chameleon/Chimera which enables a large selection of graphics cards to work fully without the need for modifying kexts, etc.

iAtkos/iDeneb/etc.: These are customised distributions, essentially copies of OS X which come prepackaged with drivers and tools to make installation easier. Whether you should use them comes down to your circumstances which will be discussed further down. It should be noted that these count as :filez: so don’t discuss where you can find them.

Kernel Panic: A pain in the arse. Like a Windows Blue Screen of Death, but can provide more information (e.g. which kext is causing the panic). The most common cause of these on a Hackintosh is a poorly configured piece of hardware.

Kexts: A file with a .kext extension which is essentially like a driver. Can be modified to add additional support by adding customised device/vendor IDs. You will often find various kexts for devices online.

QE/CI: Quartz Extreme/Core Image. The underlying hardware acceleration system for graphics in OS X. Will only work on a compatible/properly set up graphics card.

Verbose boot: Instead of booting with the standard gray Apple logo, verbose boot shows all the background processes that are running as the system boots. This will be your best friend when setting up your system.

There's the glossary, and it looks quite good. As soon as my internet connection is back and I'm not on my phone, I'll make the new thread.

Edit: http://pastie.org/private/d9wszbvpeooanmavzcag

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I'm doing the same, because I enjoy living dangerously.

• Locked thread