Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

P.N.T.M. posted:

I am in-loving-love with my hackintosh. I think this is worth including in a new thread:

ALWAYS VERIFY AND REPAIR PERMISSIONS AFTER YOU USE MULTIBEAST AND/OR INSTALL KEXTS

1. Open Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
2. Verify Disk Permissions
3. Repair Disk Permissions

I don't know what this does exactly, but it is a step that MUST be done, unless you are attempting a Snow Leopard install with Multibeast, in which case you need to check the box in MB that says "Verify and Repair Disk Permissions".

In my experience, v+r has fixed issues I have had with proper sleep and sound functionality. It takes 10 minutes at most using a 7200rpm SATAIII hard disk, and if it involves issues following the installation of new kexts, this is worth trying. Just cold-boot following the v+r and give it a run.

So why is it impossible that parts-manufacturers would market their wares as hackintosh friendly?

AFAIK files can be read only, write only or read and write. Repair Permissions checks whether to make sure that the correct permissions are in place. Also it should not be necessary to verify Disk Permissions as it will check them when it does a repair.
Its not impossible to state your wares as being hackintosh friendly but the cost benefit ratio is probably unfriendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I would all ways go for one boot drive per OS. A 64gig hard drive is ok for me but I use a 1tb non SSD hard drive for data, Itunes etc.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

RandomCheese posted:

Trigger pulled, the parts should trickle in from their various vendors over the next week or two and once I've got the system all nicely set up I shall tackle the mac side of things.

I've seen recommendations for a USB3 32GB memory stick in some threads related to hackintosh, is this just to have fast installation media for the initial and possibly repeated OS install or is it required as a bootloader? I'm still going through all the setup tutorials but I remember a friend of mine needing a USB loader for his hac system years back, is it still a necessity?

A large usb 3 drive is useful to have to backup your installation on once it is up and running. Use superduper or carbon copy cloner. Then if you break something you have a back up ready. you can try out 10.9 on a separate partition but there are no guarantees it will work for you on a Mac let alone a hackintosh.(it does for me.)
:EDIT: seriously consider a 180gig partion on one of your hard drives for a clone of your osx boot drive.

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 24, 2013

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

stevewm posted:

There was some discussion a few posts back about putting OSX and Windows on the same disk... I wanted to chime in and say it can be done, but its a bit of a bitch...

I have a 512GB Samsung 840 SSD. I wanted OSX on the SSD... There are some gotchas with this:

1. OSX requires a GPT partitioned disk.
+ WORDS
This is not strictly true. http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/08/mountain-lion-mbr-unibeast.html
I have a dual boot dell mini 10 that has Snow Leopard and windows 7 32 bit.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Demie posted:

If you're trying to install those web download drivers from Nvidia, I don't think they work. I got them to install just fine, but the menu won't switch over from the stock OSX drivers. I'm using a 650 non-TI, which has the same actual chip that's in one imac model. I really think someone has to come up with a patch. Not that it's such a big deal, I have done lots of gaming on the stock drivers and they work great.

One idea that might help, buy a spare low-end video card like an AMD 5400 or a Nvidia 8400gs. You can get them for $10 if you shop around, and they would help you troubleshoot any problems that are related to your good card.

Cant you just download the kexts and put them into S/L/E repair permissions and you are good to go?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Fuckstick Electric posted:

Does anyone know what could cause Snow Leopard to be able to boot from an iBoot Haswell iso but find itself completely unable to boot from the HDD itself?

I've used TonyMacX86's instructions to install a legit copy of Snow Leopard, but have completely failed in finding a way in which to boot from the HDD (it goes to boot but gets stuck at a white screen with the grey apple logo, without the spinning thingo underneath it and I've unable to get past that no matter how many GraphicsEnabler=no, -x or -v's etcetera that I use).

Technical specs if it helps:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
CPU: Intel i7 4770k
RAM: Corsair 16GB CMY16GX3M2A1600C9 (2x8)
PSU: COOLERMASTER Silent Pro GOLD80+ 800W PSU
SSD HDD: Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD 128GB
Ethernet/wifi: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800
No GPU added yet, I want to complete the upgrade to Mavericks prior to that (and should probably think money, too), but I can't even seem to install Snow Leopard properly.
I would try copying the EXTRA folder over from you install usb stick to your new HDD. If that doesnt work try copying the kexts in system/library/extensions over, dont forget to fix permissions afterwards.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Chris Knight posted:

You can download the 10.9.1 updater separately as with all other OS X point released: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1715
Always turn auto-updates off.

Always make a back up before updating superduper and carbon copy are your friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is it possible to do a hackintosh setup thing on one partition, have linux on another, and windows 8.1 on another on the same hard drive?

is it possible to upgrade later to an nvidia graphics card from an HD5550 later on and not gently caress up the install?

I dual boot on my netbook, osx and windows 7. earlier versions of easy bcd would handle it ok. But really one drive on operating system is the way to go.
http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

• Locked thread