Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I use Kext Utility.app since it'll do owner & permissions on both /System/Library/Extensions/ and /Extra/Extensions/ as well as rebuild your Kext caches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
When I was using my Audiophile 2496 in my Shuttle Hack, I was running Snow Leopard with these Envy24 drivers: http://www.audio-evolution.com/drivers/

But I have no idea what the state of drivers is these days.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah I had 10.6.8 running just fine on my Mini 9. Then I had what appears to be a common main board meltdown and the drat thing doesn't charge batteries anymore. :mad:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Never use Pentiums.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Still on 10.6, but I just upgraded my C2D to a C2Q and added 4GB of RAM. Running nicely so far :c00l:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I never "got" DSDT editing. All the guides seem to be essentially, 1) Boot into Linux to get a fresh DSDT reading, 2) Go edit it to make your motherboard work. Without any direction on what to edit when.

So far I got by by riding on the coattails of another Shuttle owner, but he's sold his old machines and I have no idea where to start.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
You can download the 10.9.1 updater separately as with all other OS X point released: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1715
Always turn auto-updates off.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got Mavericks installing consistently on my Shuttle ( SP35 + ICH 9 chipset, socket 775) and updated to 10.9.1. Used myHack which worked way better than TonyMac's thing, which kept resetting my bios :/

Still have this weird freeze a few minutes into a cold boot, which was happening on SL already. It's either the ram or CPU, since I upgraded both just before christmas.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got Mavericks up and running on the Shuttle with MyHack, custom DSDT, and grabbed the ALC888 codec from TonyMacx86 for post-install. Biggest thing MyHack had going for my system was that it didn't reset the CMOS on every boot (unlike UniBeast :D )

Still tracing an unrelated but coincidental hardware problem, but other than that it's running well. Whether I transfer everything over or just stay on SL I don't know at the moment. There's a lot of goofy poo poo in the post-SL world.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I have a 512MB 9400GT, and it worked in Mavericks. Audio will be fine for your mobo.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Is there a recognised fix for iMessage yet? Having troubles with it again on an install that once worked perfectly. :woz:

In /Extras/modules/ put the FileNVRAM.dylib file from this guy's site: http://routerjockey.com/2013/01/23/fixing-imessage-on-hackintosh/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Argh. I started poking around the new TonyMac buyers guide, and it's making me wanna build a new machine lol.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Depends on your method. I used MyHack, which bottles up your /Extra/Extension/ kexts into a new kext that lives in /System/Library/Extensions/ so after you update your OS you just re-run the MyHack.app and it does its thing.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
New Security Update didn't break anything for me, so that's good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
NM: App Store fixed.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 10, 2014

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Might check in the bios if the hdd you have the boot loader on is the first device selected.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
SHSC Hackintosh Thread: keep loving with it until it works

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Might this work? Last post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282633-no-seriously-i-want-to-remove-chameleon/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Don't keep App Store in your dock, problem solved :)

I have like 4 updates I'll never install. NBD.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Drastic Actions posted:

Reinstalled Yosemite on my PC via Clover, and it works great. Had to get some additional networking kexts and hack AppleHDA to get sound, as well as pull some serial numbers from my Macbook air, but nearly everything else just worked.

Now I just need to find a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle to replace this junk old one I have.

Try the IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter, it's natively supported and p. inexpensive.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
In Terminal type "diskutil list" , you should see stuff like:

code:
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Boot                    249.7 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS FileOTron               750.4 GB   disk1s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Backups                 1.2 TB     disk1s3
/dev/disk2
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Music                   119.7 GB   disk2s2
which should show you the number of physical and logical drives the OS is seeing.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'm out of the hackintosh game for the near future. It's been an occasionally frustrating, but very educational and cost effective 6+ years. :)

Now WTF do I do with this socket 775 Shuttle...

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 7, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Just when I thought I was out, they keep pulling me back in; I decided to resurrect my Dell Mini 9 for kitchen music duty, and of course had just deleted my old backup disk image last month :argh:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to check what OS version was installed on a backup disk image? I found my old Mini 9 backup, but have no idea what I'd updated to.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

RandomCheese posted:

System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist will tell you what version of OS X is installed.

Thanks!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm trying to get 10.6.8 working on a Dell mini 9. I'm following this guide:

http://tlhaas.blogspot.com/2012/09/installing-snow-leopard-ver-1068-on.html

But when I try to run software update for the 10.6.8 update, it says I don't have enough disk space (16GB SSD). Are there any files I can move temporarily to an external so I can apply this update? I need to free up ~550MB.

With a 16 GB disk you should have oodles of space. I have my Mini 9 at 10.6.6 at the moment without too much fuss, but it's the new kernel in the .8 update that will mess with things.

Are you sure you're starting with a fresh blank SSD to install on? Snow Leopard with 10.6.6 is around 8-9GB total. But yeah, try copying the updater onto a USB and running it from there.

Also, try running WhatSize to see where your large folder are, down at the bottom of this page: http://whatsizemac.com/faq/

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Which OS though?

• Locked thread