Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demie
Apr 2, 2004
I would try disabling all onboard devices in BIOS, then enable them one-by-one to track down what it's choking on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

SourKraut posted:

What's the current status of using a Radeon 7970 with 10.8.4? I've tried looking at the various sites (InsanelyMac, Tonymac, OSX86 etc) and it seems like cornments vary from it being "out of box" supported to requiring a lot of effort. I'm not against either, just curious what you all think.

I haven't tried it, but check the versions of OSX those people were installing. Apple's 7 series support is pretty recent.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
i hope they name it Mac OS X 10.9

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

suboptimal posted:

Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ NCIX US) - for OS X
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ NCIX US) - for Windows
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)

If you're gonna RAID those, you should check if anyone else is having success doing that on a z77 hackintosh. It would be a huge waste of money if Mac OS didn't recognize the storage controller in RAID mode (real macs have similar chips, but they don't do RAID).

edit: ~Coxy is right, there's nothing stopping you from doing software RAID

Demie fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 31, 2013

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
sounds good, dual booting from different drives will make things easier for you.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Quine Connoisseur posted:

I've been having a weird problem ever since switching hard drives for my OS X install: my Ethernet kext (AppleIntelE1000e.kext) absolutely refuses to be loaded through a kernel cache - every time I boot I'm forced to use UseKernelCache=No for it to load.

I've tried kernelcache -system-prelinked-kernel, kernelcache -system-caches, putting the kext in /System/Library/Extensions without it being in my EFI partition's /Extra/Extensions, putting it in /Extra/Extensions without it being in /S/L/E, keeping it in both, putting it in IONetworkingFamily.kext's PlugIns folder; just about every loving thing I can think of, and it still won't load from the cache. I've verified that it actually is in the cache, it just won't load (this is on 10.8.5 12F33).

Anyone know what the poo poo is going on here?

e: as a side effect this is preventing another kext that I installed after all of this started happening from loading so it's not just me being an impatient baby pissed off at the longer boot time

check for bad kext plugins with the command "sudo kextcache -update-volume /", it helped me solve a similar problem.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

1st AD posted:

Dumb question, but is the Surface Pro out of the question when it comes to installing OSX? I've seen a video of it booting, but I don't know if wifi works at all.

It'd be cool to mess with Final Cut on a touchscreen.

I don't know if anyone has gotten a touchscreen to work in OSX. I think that would be the main obstacle.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

eightysixed posted:

I've been toying around with the idea of transforming one of by older laptops into a Hackintosh for awhile now - either a Dell Inspiron e1705 or an Inspiron 9300, but :effort: I've just been reading about OSX available as a VM. What's the opinion on that? Should I Hackintosh one of the two laptops, or run OSX in a VM on an i5 Sandybridge with 16G of RAM? :confused:

9300 is practically impossible, e1705 is maybe doable if it has the nvidia GPU, but it would be hard with the GMA950. Getting OSX to boot in a VM is about 100 times harder than one would expect, I think people just resort to questionable pre-made VMs in bit torrents to do that.

But if you just installed it on that i5 rig, that would be ideal as a first hackintosh build. Take Sinestro's advice and just dual boot off a spare hard drive.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

BluDiE posted:

Anyone have experience getting Open GL/CL with ATI HD cards?
I'm running a setup like this Slugnet's Video Editor (GA-Z77X-UD5H / i7-3770k / 16GB RAM). My video card however is an ATI HD 6770. I'd rather not HAVE to buy a new video card just yet. I had After Effects convinced via some .kext editing to use Open CL, then my HD crashed. (Didn't know how bad Vortex's were when I bought one.)
There is a link here but I have not been able to get it to work. I have tried adding the name of my card as it suggested, but no dice so far.

if it worked before, you should try all the usual bootstring settings like graphicsenabler, npci and pcirootuid

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Quine Connoisseur posted:

I've been using 10.8.5 on a Haswell system for a few months now. The only problem I'm having is that it keeps trying to get me to install a Thunderbolt firmware update (which can't install, obviously), but that's probably not a 10.8.5 issue.

confirmed, I have thatr problem on 10.8.4 because I chose a "iMac 13,1" system definition.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Civil posted:

Most hackintosh stuff doesn't require any bios config changes from a standard install, right? I figure I should just be able to swap the drive in when I want to play with OSX, and not risk loving anything up with partitioning.

There's some bios settings that need to be set for mac, but they wouldn't hurt Windows for dual boot. Such as AHCI enabled, HPET setting, fast boot mode, etc. You wouldn't have to disable any onboard devices.

Gigabyte is the easiest to install on, but practically any intel chipset mobo is doable if it's an i-series CPU. OEM desktops are harder, laptops are harder still, and AMD is where you'd have to really want it.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Civil posted:

I got my system up and running 10.8.5 using a DH77KC (Intel brand) motherboard, but onboard ethernet isn't working, which is kind of a big deal.

install the kext for intel ethernet

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
couldn't hurt to track down all the multibeast kexts that were installed before the 10.8.5 update, that's always what causes my system to stop booting after an upgrade. But if it's a clean install, try various flag settings like pcirootuid, graphicsenabler, npci.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
If you're trying to install those web download drivers from Nvidia, I don't think they work. I got them to install just fine, but the menu won't switch over from the stock OSX drivers. I'm using a 650 non-TI, which has the same actual chip that's in one imac model. I really think someone has to come up with a patch. Not that it's such a big deal, I have done lots of gaming on the stock drivers and they work great.

One idea that might help, buy a spare low-end video card like an AMD 5400 or a Nvidia 8400gs. You can get them for $10 if you shop around, and they would help you troubleshoot any problems that are related to your good card.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Well I bit the bullet and just ordered some hardware for what I hope to be a hackintosh. Going for a Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI mini-itx Haswell motherboard and a Core i5-4570S processor. This is going into an Antec ISK300-150 case with an SSD. I would have preferred the slightly cheaper H87 motherboard, but it looks like Newegg doesn't carry it and they're running a 10% off promo now so the Z87 is the same price. Hoping to have a small and very power efficient system that can run a few operating systems in parallel without breaking a sweat.

you'll probably have to put in a video card. intel hd graphics 4600 isn't in any macs, so mac os probably has no drivers for it.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Ah thanks for the tip, I'll have to look into that more. It looks like the 4600 is part of one of tonymacx86's golden builds, so hopefully it won't be too bad to get going: http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/106748-tonymacx86s-haswell-matx-ga-z87mx-d3h-i7-4770k-hd-4600-a.html

Oh, forget what I said then. It was true on older Intel generations, but it must have changed since then.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Sort of related but is there a way to buy the newest Intel OSX using my iBook G4 running 10.4 or am I poo poo out of luck on that front?

quote:

Mac models compatible with OS X Mavericks

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
Ibook G4 has a PowerPC chip, so you can't even hack it.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
So far, Mavericks is the only OSX that I can't get to boot. I made sure to delete all custom kexts for a clean install first, then I installed with Unibeast. After install, it stops at the apple logo with spinny thing. Verbose boot has lines like this:

quote:

Waiting for DSMOS...
flow_divert_kctl_disconnect (0): disconnecting group 1
init
probe
start
[IOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed
**** [IOBluetoothHCIController][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!
Resetting IOcatalogue.
considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel prebuild rebuild has expired

I'm not sure if these lines have anything to do with my problem other than DSMOS not arriving. It seems like the graphics doesn't initialize and the desktop never appears. I've tried 4 different video cards: Nvidia 650, AMD 5450, Nvidia 430, Intel HD Graphics 2000 and the typical boot flags. Has anyone else had this problem? Gigabyte board, Intel i3-2100, Geforce 650 and it's worked great until now.

I will probably restore the backup and wait for better tools.

edit: huh, looks like FakeSMC never got installed. I guess I can start there.

edit 2: Yep, it's working fine now. If anyone else has this problem, what I did was download FakeSMC onto a flash drive, booted my Unibeast USB stick to the Mavericks installer, and used the terminal app to copy fakesmc.kext to \volumes\[hard drive]\system\library\extensions. Rebooted and it worked OK after that. Couldn't find any other way to install FakeSMC.

Demie fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 28, 2013

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I still need to figure out why PS/2 isn't working on the HD installation and why GraphicsEnabler=No is required for it not to hang.

Macs haven't come with PS2 for many years, so you have to install the PS2 kext. myhack installer probably has those kind of kexts running.

graphicsenabler=no is normal, put it in your chameleon boot plist if it works right.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Fuckstick Electric posted:

Does anyone know what could cause Snow Leopard to be able to boot from an iBoot Haswell iso but find itself completely unable to boot from the HDD itself?

I've used TonyMacX86's instructions to install a legit copy of Snow Leopard, but have completely failed in finding a way in which to boot from the HDD (it goes to boot but gets stuck at a white screen with the grey apple logo, without the spinning thingo underneath it and I've unable to get past that no matter how many GraphicsEnabler=no, -x or -v's etcetera that I use).

The iboot DVD probably has kexts that aren't installed on your hard drive. Look at your -v boot log closely and see where it's failing.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
I would say that speed doesn't even matter, since plenty of macs that are supported by Mavericks came with 1333mhz or less.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
There's already some real Haswell macs out there that come with Mavericks, so that's not the problem. OS X is not too picky with intel CPUs, but I'm pretty sure that all real macs from this era came with at least an i3, so that might mean something. evol262 has a good point with the GPU, though. I'd toss a PCIE card in there and see what happens. Or fool with graphicsenabler/hdenabler flags.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

decryption posted:

I went and grabbed an i3-4130 CPU and it all works well (besides the onboard graphics, which work, but don't support multiple resolutions and have some weird tearing/flickering when using Safari, but I was gonna use the AMD5450 anyways).

Avoid the Pentium Haswells for now, I guess.

Not bad. I used to run a 5450 with full QE/CI and everything, so you can fix that. But the Intel HD is probably better if you can get that working.

Demie fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 16, 2013

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Funso Banjo posted:

How is updating through the appstore for these things? After installing mevericks, getting everything working, alls good. Is updating just like it is on a mac - click update and just let it download and run? I notce theres an itunes, ibooks update on there right now.

I do a full backup before letting OS upgrades go through. There's some risk in there, especially if your build took lots of effort.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

I'm still running 10.8.2 because I'm afraid updating will brick my install. Is there anything significantly different in 8.5?

better support for radeon 7000 series is the main draw

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

That Genuine Stank posted:

I have a hard drive that already has Mavericks installed on it. I know that I can take a hard drive out of one mac and put it into another mac with little trouble, would it be possible to do this with a hackintosh or would there be too much back tracking?

In case it's important, my build is going to be
  • i7 4770 3.4GHz
  • Gigabyte z87-d3hp
  • EVGA GeForce 650 2gb

that's all the important stuff right?

I would remove any kexts specific to your old rig first, but that's just me. I have a 650 and it works with no trouble, graphicsenabler=no

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
Since Apple is trying to buy out Renesas as we speak, there's almost no chance that VIA USB drivers will appear in Mac OSX, which means someone would have to build it from scratch. I'd send it back.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

I've always wondered: are the updates really that good? I want the Mac OS interface and as long as it runs all the programs I want it to without exploding, that's good enough for me personally. Or am I just being stupid?

OS updates are OS updates. Bug fixes and security patches. Hackintosh people sometiems anticipate new or improved device drivers that are meant for upcoming Apple products.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

uh oh pancho! posted:

Has anyone else had freezing issues using 4 DIMMs with Gigabyte z87 mobos or seen any workable solutions to that problem? I set up a Hackintosh with the following components:
I have been running 4 DIMMs in a Z68 gigabyte mobo for years without causing any problems. Overclocked to 2133MHZ, tweaked timings. I recall that I had some wierdness when I had "fast boot mode" enabled in BIOS - When I tried to check the ram frequency in "about this mac", the window would crash, but it would otherwise work fine. Disabled fast boot mode and the problem went away.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
Get it. I'm, using that card and it works great. It's the fastest nvidia low profile card, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

ModeSix posted:

I'm having a problem with Yosemite where I can't get the App Store to load anything. My internet works fine and the App store program starts, but stays blank with the loading swirly spinning.

Ideas?

when this happens, I just reboot and it's OK. I'm on Mavericks.

• Locked thread