Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Safe and Secure! posted:

So why isn't Shaft basically printing money by having Gen Urobuchi write basically everything for them?

He's busy writing more fan-fiction of American cyberpunk B-movies.

Here's some Meguca if you've already watched the show! (contains series spoilers, so only watch if you've seen it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKHXNzcOlPQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ChronoReverse posted:

It's subtitled "Rebellion"? Now I'm really curious what Gen has in mind.

The working title was "Kyubey Strikes Back".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Can we not poo poo up the first page with a discussion of a completely different magical girl series, please?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Alice Liddell posted:

Is the English dub for this show worth experiencing? I've watched it twice previously with subtitles and am musing another revisit. Will it totally ruin the pristine bubble i've built in my head for this show to hear Westerners lazily squeak out their lines?

Sayaka goes to 4chan a bit too much, otherwise the cast is just wonderful.

Some say passable, but I enjoyed the dub just fine.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

I guess goons really will watch anything.

poo poo, people have different tastes, call the loving cops.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Orika Magica released here just the other day and it was... Okay.

I really can't say anything else about it, transforming into a catgirl seems kinda dumb, it overplays the serious darkness of the anime and gets a bit too gory at times. Great if you liked Saya no Uta, but I have no idea where or how it fits in with the rest of the show.

I will definitely recommend it over Kazumi though. Not a lot of fan-service and it shows what the witches looked as like magical girls prior. And the yandere faces are amazing. Whoever draws this knows how to draw psycho girls.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It feels as if though analyzing Madoka tends to reflect more on the person performing the analysis than say anything about the show.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bro Enlai posted:

Look, obviously Madoka is an allegory for the financial crisis. Consider the etymology of the word "mortgage," from the French for "death contract." Indeed, Kyubey offers contracts to people who are young, vulnerable, and in need. Mature obligations return to the original lender as Grief Seeds (seed = shido = CDO). Now consider the order in which the witches are listed on the Madoka site: Gertrud, Suleika, Charlotte. Goldman Sachs, Citigroup. H.N. Elly? FNMA. Need I say more?

Oh thank god I thought it was just me

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd be cool with a Madoka Magica live-action adaptation done well, but my main hang-up is "how the gently caress do you make pink hair look good?"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Gen Urobochi probably does not suffer from that problem, as it seems as if he has a huge boner for western culture.

Heck, he made an eroge based on a B-movie about cyborgs or something. And his two main pieces, PMMM and Uta no Saya has inspirations from various mythologies that date back centuries, in the former Fäust and in the latter, possibly some Lovecraft.

He seems to focus less on humor and more on what terrifies people though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

jonjonaug posted:

I think you're thinking of his Equlibrium fanfiction, which is not an eroge (unless you're turned on by men fighting to the death I guess?) and is not about cyborgs.

Kikokugai has cyborgs in it, but is more inspired by wuxia. The cyberpunk stuff in that is mostly just setting fluff and to provide a plot macguffin.

Ah, right, I was trying to get to both, but I couldn't get Equilibrium to work and Kikokugai was troubling to start and the first scene basically made me kinda back away slowly.

Maybe I ought to give it a try, but it scares me so.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

Speaking of Clannad, how best to start with it?

Don't watch the old one, try your very best to ignore the huge distance between the eyes and just watch it from beginning I guess. Half the tears from Clannad comes from the emotional build-up gotten from watching the show from the beginning after all.

You can't go wrong as long as you don't question why you are watching it. It also helps if you find the main character funny, I guess.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Homura's time-thingie is a buckler, a famous type of small shield commonly used by archers, because it was the only type of shield they could use that wouldn't get in the way of firing, though it did come at the cost of weighing down their arm.

Notable things we didn't see in the anime as I recall:

Kyouko and Mami knew each other before the show started. Kyouko was trained by Mami and used to have a power that allowed her to create clones of herself, I think kinda like Naruto. She presumably had to cry out like Mami's Tiro Finale for this type of ability. She lost this ability when her father committed suicide because her wish became corrupted. This suggests to me that the power of any magical girl is deeply tied into their wish and not a determination of over time. This makes it a pretty convenient plot device for the author since it intensifies any drama you'd want.

Presumably Homura's power seems to be about time, but it seems to follow a trend I see very often in Japanese games and stuff where control over time actually means "Time & Space", as her magical buckler seems to function as a portable bag of holding. Convenient storage place surely. Her power that ties in with her wish and is her most powerful ability seems to be her power to rewind time, not stopping it or store away firearms, but to unravel the fabric of time back to the date of her wish.

Some inconsistencies with that seems to be that she seems to enter that time period at different spots in episode 10. Sometimes she arrives before she and Madoka met, being able to stop Kyubey from making a contract, while the first time Madoka and Homura met seemed to imply Madoka had already made a contract. Of course, that could mean she just ran up to Madoka who had yet not made a contract and confessed that she's a magical girl to a very confused Madoka.

gently caress, that's kind of sad. :negative:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Super Jay Mann posted:

This wasn't addressed directly but if I remember correctly it's shown that there was a period of roughly a week(?) or so between the day she rewinds to and the day she actually begins school, and it's within this period that Madoka contracts. Madoka doesn't contract during this time in later cycles because Homura had long since started trying to prevent it.
That does make sense.

jonjonaug posted:

Homura: No loving clue. The nameplate on her house says "Homura" on it though so presumably they aren't around for whatever reason? Maybe she used magic to wipe their memories or something so she could go live in a house with a giant living room arranged like a clock with a pendulum going back and forth (seriously Homura you're making Mami calling her attacks look normal here).
I know it could be construed they are alive, but there are heavy implications they died in whatever accident put Homura in the hospital bed or at least left her life after that point.

Possibly a big part to do with her initial depression when walking home from school, having failed at basically everything and having no family to comfort her as she gets home.

Not too surprising that she then transfers her feelings over to Madoka for support.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh god. Why does her dress and everything make me think Charlotte? She's even very close to Mami.

drat you Gen Urobochi.

Also the green ranger is Hitomi, but clearly would be too dangerous if she became a magical girl.

According to the radio dramas they are at least very worried about Kyubey recruiting her.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MadRhetoric posted:

What, is she a karma case like Madoka thanks to Sayaka Witching out every timeline she contracts?

It does not really say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRb44w_EaYw&t=420s

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 5, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

HondaCivet posted:

Ok but seriously, why do so many shows color-code the characters? I'm noticing it more and more and I keep wondering where it comes from.

Because :effort:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Homura is the big punching bag of this film, huh?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That is some word salad right there. Not sure I entirely agree with the interpretation either.

It's awfully self-serving though, so it isn't lost on me why it is written this way.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't see any indication that it was interpreted the same way at all. I've seen far more convincing and thematically appropriate feminist interpretations of the show than the word-salad above.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I have no doubt that Madoka is fairly feminist friendly, but the above paragraph just doesn't feel like it communicates it quite right.

quote:

it is eventually subverted and shown to not be insurmountable, as womanhood eventually breaks free from inevitable corruption and the system is essentially “fixed.”

This for instance just sounds kind of... Like a very mistaken interpretation of the work.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Finally got my copy today of the movies and saw the first one.

Fairly well edited together, albeit I question their removal of the scene where Mami criticizes Sayaka's wish, as it is sort of pivotal to understanding Sayaka's real upset with Kyouko and the reason for her hesitation.

Also, Madoka growing from the womb at the end credits was... Inventive. Symbolically.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

First thing I ever heard the term 'deconstruction' applied to was Watchmen. Of course, it was in a review of Evangelion, so. :v:

Watchmen was kinda the same thing for comic book nerds, if I am to believe Linkara correctly.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how well that last analysis would have held up if the alien wasn't based off of HR Giger's designs.

Good post though, Cephas. :allears:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I saw the second movie and while I feel it wasn't missing anything like the first one missed one or two scenes, this second one did make a few choices that strike me as odd.

E.g. the scene where Homura confronts Kyubey about Kyouko's chances at reverting Sayaka took place in an entirely new location which was both odd and ill-fitting. Really felt tacked on.

I loved how they changed the part where they float in space, since they are no longer naked bodies, but wearing ethereal dresses.

Not much else to say, but the new transformation sequences were both better and much more awesome. I loved every one of them. High point: Mami's got a new (second) theme-song, but only in movie 1.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What the hell is that?!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Think it'll be worth buying a plane ticket and take a few days off from work to fly in and see this? I really wish it would air here. :smith:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, time to dig down until it gets released for bluray. :smithicide:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MadRhetoric posted:

Letters to Momo, Monsters U and The Wind Rises are the safe bets there. Miyazaki might pull in the gold watch Oscar because he is essentially an old white (enough) man making a kind of wistful film that old white men on the nominating board would like. Only thing that keeps it from being a lock would be the grumbling about romanticizing the guy who made the Zero.

Should send them your post from a way back with the Faust interpretation.

That might turn a few heads.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oriko is fairly alright, unlike Kazumi.

My god, this thread is a lot like a minefield for me, but thank god people are at least using spoiler tags.

When is this movie getting a blu-ray release again?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

A friend recently introduced me to Madoka Magica, and I watched all of the episodes in a weekend. Holy hell, this show was really good, and I need to watch the new movie.

How much did you roll your eyes at him when the opening credits rolled on the first episode? :allears:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I really, really wanted this too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fc.center.fone_30249_320013777

Ever since the "tap Madoka" app broke.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
So incredibly jealous :smith:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Okay, not really read the thread for a few posts and I kinda want to stay away to avoid spoilers, so could someone shoot me an e-mail when the blu-ray/DVD's go on sale on right stuf or whatever?

E-mail address is my SA username at gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and sorry if I missed it and I probably will not check back here until I actually see the movie.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Finally got to see this thing, caught up with like 6 months of spoiler zone. I really liked your write-up MadRhetoric, but I had a bit of a different interpretation of Kyubey at the end from all of you, apparently.

I recall a long time ago a working (joking) title for this movie was "Kyubey Strikes Back", and his beaten corpse, his entire people turned into slaves for a demon, it came to me. Those squiggles in the eyes do not symbolize fear. At least I do not think so. They symbolize a creature of logic that is fed up. Call it a desire for revenge, call it a desire to break the status quo, I think that symbolizes rebellion.

I don't think Kyubey is entirely demotivated yet, but maybe that is just me. That Homura inspired a feeling in that creature is an applaudible effort in itself.

Also, uh, MagicalDuck, no offense, but you are projecting an awful lot onto Homura, properties that you are sort of drawing out of thin air. In a literary work there is a lot of empty space where you sort of are allowed to fill in the blanks for the characters and I don't begrudge you for doing just that, but you must realize that when the authors word goes against your grain, that means you filled those empty space with incomplete, incorrect information. You say a lot of "she would never do that" or "that isn't what she would have done", but the fact is, you don't know that, because you are not Homura. Homura isn't a bunch of stitched together stereotypes, she is written like a person, complex with motivations we can only really guess at. We see, we hear and we understand some of her, but we can only draw conclusions based on her from what we know.

We've been missing her living a (short?) life where she was living only for Madoka and was constantly without her, fighting her fight. We don't know most of what happened in this time, but you have to admit, in order for Homura to reach a level of despair, she must have had some very serious "downs" in her life and her personality must have changed in ways we cannot even imagine. Every second after the end of Madoka Eternal was hell for her.

I can't fault her for holding a little bit of a grudge

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

Homura is a fictional character. Saying "she would never do that" or "that isn't what she would have done" kinda implies an unsaid "if she was well written". You're basically trying to fend off criticism with canon.
Said criticism is entirely based on a headcanon that isn't portrayed in the series itself, so yeah, I guess I am trying to say that it is being judged in unfair merits, because it's essentially like saying fanfiction made something okay, even if the subject matter was questionable. How well it was written doesn't factor into it, what matters is what was shown and how it flows with the narrative presented. Whatever you chose to fill the gaps with does not mean it is correct.

Mercrom posted:

Being freed from an indefinite number of years of combat and seeing all her friends die over and over again isn't my idea of being sent into hell. If you hold a grudge over that you are severely mentally ill, which Homura was never characterized as. Even if she was it would suck, since mental illness is extremely far removed from the themes of Madoka Magica.

At best Rebellion is a badly written story about PTSD that doesn't actually say anything about PTSD.
True, it is a reprieve, but there was nothing stopping Homura from just running away in the first place. She chose to turn back the time, it was a self-inflicted purgatory. At the end of Madoka Magica, her objective that she attended said purgatory for was taken from her by the very person she went through that for. If that isn't hell, it qualifies as some manner of punishment, being denied the very thing you worked so hard for.

As far as mental health, Homura has several instances where she lapses into depression, psychotic misbehavior, illegal aquisition of firearms and explosives, destruction of property on a massive scale, refusal of seemingly innocuous offers of friendship and threatening murder of a close friend. All for a good reason, but sane she is not. She once pulls out a grenade while in a griplock and pulls the pin.

Mercrom posted:

At best Rebellion is a badly written story about PTSD that doesn't actually say anything about PTSD.
I sort of can see the argument that it tries to tell about PTSD, but honestly it doesn't really do a good job of that, because it has other major themes at work. Gen Urobuchi has a very strong attraction for western (or European) stories and themes and it is pretty much stained throughout the work.

But yeah, PTSD it does not tell a good story of. Arguably, it doesn't tell one.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

I don't get the bolded part. The latter is part of the former.

From what was shown viewed through the lens of my knowledge of human behaviour and storytelling, Rebellion is not consistent with what was shown in the original series. Putting some thought into what you watch isn't the same as being a fan fiction writer.
The flow of narrative is different from being well-written narrative. Something can flow, be consistent, perfectly well without being well thought out. I don't really think the writing is terrible either, so your mileage is going to vary there.

It was fairly consistent with what was shown in the original show though, if you pay attention to the details.

Mercrom posted:

That's a very shallow way to look at it. People are not robots motivated by directives. Homura was motivated by feelings of responsibility and guilt. She arguably had little to no self-worth, and to handwave her repeated punishment of herself as "she could just run away if she didn't like it" is like something Kyubey would say.
Note that I said it was an option open to her if what she needed was reprieve and of course she wouldn't take it. I do however disagree with you on terms of motivation. Feelings of responsibility and guilt are what a soldier feels in a war. Homura was motivated by love. That is evident throughout the series and even the final movie. Love can drive a man insane. Especially if they think it is hopeless and they can never see their love again.

Mercrom posted:

At the end of the series Madoka absolved Homura of her responsibilities, made every effort to assure her that she had no reason to feel guilty, and finally gave her peace and closure and an opportunity to grieve. Honestly, losing a loved one is way better than being presented with the possibility of maybe saving them if you just torture yourself for long enough. It's the worst possible Catch-22. Even if you choose not to do it, the guilt is going to kill you.
Truly, guilt is not a motivation for Homura, because she was relieved of that, as you say. But no matter what Madoka could say or do, love cannot be subdued.

Mercrom posted:

You are ignoring a whole lot of contexts. People in real life do crazier stuff when pushed, so what would you expect from characters in an exaggerated setting who are supposed to act as symbols for the themes in the story? Madoka and Mami did not hesitate to kill their friends, Kyoko was bordering on sociopath, and Sayaka somehow managed to be the least stable magical girl. That does not in any way imply that the story is about anything but normal sane people pushed beyond their limits.
Kyubey picked these magical girls from the amount of grief surrounded them. They were already broken people and Homura one of them. Normal and sane does not apply.

Mercrom posted:

PTSD is the excuse you would give to justify the existence of a story which was only shoehorned in to enable a sequel. I doubt it's actually intended.
So why did you bring it up of all things?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, maybe Madoka Magica just isn't your kind of show.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

Sorry I don't like it. :confused:

You can like it if you want. It's not like it's Nazi propaganda.

Also to Rebellion's credit at least it's not a spinoff.

It just seems to me you wanted it to be a 'Saving Private Ryan' when it's a show about magical girls. I don't understand how that is any way to approach a media at all.

It's like wishing Dark Souls was really a platformer.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it deals with PTSD in a good way or not, as I don't really feel it deals with that as a major element, but I could sort of see it in Sayaka, it doesn't really work as Sayaka isn't really the veteran in the story. If you feel it represents PTSD in a positive or negative manner, I'm not going to disagree, but I will say I feel the connotation is more accidental than intentional.

Conflict is at the center of the story and very often (always?) PTSD is the result of conflict, but I don't think it is necessarily the path Madoka Magica wanted to explore very deeply.

I feel PTSD is far more represented in Muv-Luv Alternative, but I do see some parallels in Madoka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

I can't believe everyone straight up ignored this amazing post.

Didn't exactly ignore it, just didn't have anything to add to it.

• Locked thread