Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I am literally incapable of watching a dub with Christina Vee in after finding her youtube videos of her doing lovely dubs of like the Haruhi OP and other poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I guess goons really will watch anything.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Who the hell is requires hate and why are we suddenly expected to care what this anonymous blog-owning stranger thinks about an anim?

ViggyNash posted:

There's no way that he(it, technically) can exist as part of a species where emotions don't exist and have genders.

Why not? Pretty sure you can have a gender without having emotions.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The hell are you talking about?

Many species of plant have sexes. Emotion is not a prerequisite.

I was gonna make this point except insects so thanks for beating me to it with a better example.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Evil bunny cat is not a plant.

As far as we can tell he's either a mammal or something entirely artificial. As far as mammals go, gender doesn't mean much without emotion. You could argue that people can reproduce without any emotional input, but couldn't instinct be considered a fundamental emotion? In that case the fact that mammals feel the need to mate requires the concept of emotion.

Ultimately, my point is that within the story's context it isn't clear whether or not he has a gender, but even if he does it doesn't really play into the plot in any way. RH is making the assumption that he's a male in order to support his perspective.

I guess he could be interpreted that way. That's a far better interpretation than assuming he's male.

Your argument is, of course, based on the assumption that kyubey is a mammal, which seems rather flawed seeing as he's an alien.

Maybe he's an insect?

E: Maybe you're posting out of your arse again?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

veekie posted:

He does bring up the god line too often for it to be entirely innocent though.

Because a wish that gave her that kind of power would also generate a great deal of energy. He's trying to tempt her into doing what he wants while also pretty much giving away the ending.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DerLeo posted:

Has Hollywood ever done a real anime adaptation? Hell, the west in general.

Dragonball Movie exists (and is totally amazing).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Now imagine TVTropes trying to wrap their head around the concept.

Basically TVTropes read Watchmen, knew it was generally classified as a "deconstruction", saw that it was kind of a bleak and dark world, then decided that "Deconstruction is a dark/realistic take on a genre".
In the same vein Madoka is a "deconstruction" to them because it is a darker take on traditional magic girl tropes as opposed to looking at any of the story elements.

There, I just saved anyone from visiting TVTropes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think the first two films are basically the show again but edited down. I don't know if there's new content or not.

Film 3 is all new content.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nessus posted:

I can't see that and not envision those comic pages.

These, if they haven't come up before.

This is honestly the best thing to be posted in this thread for like the last 5 pages.

Nice find.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Somehow Madoka's waist is the most horrifying part of this image.

Please don't body shame

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I too can only think of things in terms of Anims I Have Watched.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Morlocks are pretty much Witches

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Do you ever suspect you care about anims a little too much~

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I only ship Homura x Kyuubei, personally

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I like the bit where kyouko eats a lot of food

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Im ignoring all the convoluted "anime is deep" posts because they make the Madoka movies even more overhyped garbage than they already were.

E:

ViggyNash posted:

I feel like I'm the only one paying any attention to Lord Justice's posts at this point.

There's a reason, and that's that they are very long and very boring unless you really love overthinking anims

Namtab fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 26, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mercrom posted:

ViggyNash maybe you should write a summary of Lord Justice's posts for the less intellectual among us, since you have such a firm grasp on them.

a cartoon duck posted:

so when are you gonna analyse kazumi magica

Let me tell you about selfish love vs selfless love :words::spergin::words:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Seems like every day this thread crawls further up its own arse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

When they make a wish, they are essentially turned into sentient gems that pilot their former bodies around like meat puppets.

It's not that their soul is in a gem, it's that they themselves are the gems. It's not really a cultural thing it's more that they have literally become something other than human now.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

/\/\While there may be a slight cultural reference that can be twisted out of it, I don't think that the soul gems are supposed to be a nod to shintoism.

ViggyNash posted:

I've always thought of the Soul Gems as being the singular core of their being, so to distill their core into a vulnerable material object is a huge burden on them.

Thought I like the perspective of Soul Gem-controlled meat puppets.

It's been a while since i watched the show but I'm pretty sure the point of the soul gems is that they aren't vulnerable. In fact I'm pretty sure the rationale is that they are turned into soul gems because the soul gem can't be damaged like their bodies can.

The burden is essentially from discovering that you have been transformed into something alien, something the mind struggles to comprehend. You are the rock, looking through your puppet's eyes at yourself. You are not human.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 15, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sinking Ship posted:

With this line of thought though isn't weird that they can 'die'? Like Mami dies when she gets decapitated but her soul gem was unharmed (wasn't it? been a minute since I watched that episode). So does that mean she didn't actually die?

It's not stated, but with the implications of the soul gem being what they are, it's possible that she didn't truly "die".

We don't know what they experience when disconnected from their human puppets though, but based on the evidence it seems as though they are essentially inert, unable to think or sense anything.

I don't remember what happens to Mami's soul gem though, although the only things that would be able to affect it would be corruption (but that would rely on use of magic, which she is unable to do) or kyubey eating it (I don't think that happens).

Interesting thought though: What if they gave Mami's soul gem to another girl who lost hers? Would Mami take control? Would the girl just reawaken? Or would nothing happen, the implication being that part of what makes the system work is the gem being specifically tied to a single puppet?

E: Actually, scratch all that above. If the gem breaks when Mami's puppet is damaged sufficiently then that implies that the gem is tied to the puppet it controls.

However later on Sakuya is able to take quite heavy amounts of damage after she finds out about how the gems work (although admittedly she never loses her head). Perhaps part of the effect is based on what a person's perception of themself is. Mami did not know she was not human so she dies when she thinks she should. Homura knows that she is the soul gem so she is able to damage it with her own magic. Sakuya knows that she is the soul gem so she is able to take a fatal level of damage without dying, because she knows her body is a shell.

Maybe I'm overthinking anime

Namtab fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 15, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Basically there's a lot of questions left unanswered about soul gems and so on that I could :spergin: on for hours and that is what was interesting about madoka.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There isn't enough discussion itt about who the coolest character is.

It's the red head.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If you're so cool then why are you in the anime forum

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

I prefer the really long posts to the weird dude that thinks kyouko isn't cool.

Just ignore the haters

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sfdebris is good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

It's why I find the existence of Madoka Magica to be such a strange thing because it could only have been done in this medium, but it doesn't fit what anime generally is.

I'm pretty sure madoka would work even if it wasn't Japanese animation

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TVTropes Has Ruined My Life

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Is any of Madoka manga seriously worth reading, because it seems like the sort of thing where the 'expanded universe' stuff just starts dragging the whole thing down.

I own a lot of it

The answer is no

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

same except kyouko, and 10

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Im the homura on the bottom right IRL

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fun times at the madoka convention

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord Justice posted:

My apologies, but I don't really agree with that sort of approach as it were. At least not in regards to Madoka, which I feel isn't really possible to "over-analyze" due to the complexity of the work, especially with Rebellion. My attempts at analysis are really my attempt to understand Madoka on a deeper level, which I feel is possible because Madoka's construction allows for that sort of thing. My understanding of the work has shifted remarkably from when I first watched Rebellion over a year ago, and much of that is thanks to my analysis, both here and elsewhere. Rebellion, to me, is now a better film than it was a year ago, and that completely stems from my changing perspective on the work. In a sense, it almost feels like Rebellion was explicitly designed to be interpreted such that, to really understand Rebellion, such analysis is functionally a requirement.

Of course, I'll also be the first to say that my viewpoint is subjective to myself, people are going to approach Madoka differently. How an artistic work is interpreted is always up to the viewer experiencing the work.

lol

Seriously though, please stop using 5 words where 1 will do.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lol if you read those posts

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lol if you watch any anim 16 times

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Lord Justice is my friend now and they are allowed to post all they want about Madoka. Namtab you are being warned.

Try and stop me

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bring me the cheese witch manga!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You probably need to watch it 15 more times to really get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Can you expand on titys as a whole, which madoka has the best baps?

And what of asses?

• Locked thread