Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Use a screen magnifier? In Windows, the Windows key and + turns on the magnifier (and Win-Esc disables it).

Hmmm that works alright. No way of scaling the UI/stretching the game or making it so that the game doesn't lag the hell out on full screen mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I just beat Ironmans, it was pretty fun though I'm kinda disappointed there's no real difference, the ending even still talks about the academy. It would have been nice to be able to retire after beating the last boss and have the world change back to a normal heroic one with your ironmans as the academy founder.

One thing I really wish this game had however is either a hotkey to switch ability bars or control + a number to use the abilities on your second bar. There were plenty of abilities I learned from books (like all the fire and brimstone powers) that I just never used because they wouldn't fit on my first bar. I only switch to the second bar when I'm in trouble and I know a specific ability will help so I never used those powers because I don't know how they work well enough to rely on them in a pinch

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Is there a general guide/FAQ that goons tend to like for this game? What about for rangermans? That's the class of my first character.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rangermans: Use your ranged attack, and use your abilities to stay far away from any enemies. You should have two, one of your bow skills and the other a medium armor skill to keep you from getting into close contact with any enemies. Shoot ranged enemies to death first, then kite the rest. Apply abilities as required.

I believe your other bow skills either do damage or weaken your enemies, and one can pin your target which is great if you're trying to get away.

Keep your stamina and exertion in mind. Tireless is a great trait to take if you're relying a lot on stamina using skills so you only have to wait 2 turns to no longer be strained. Using a skill while it's in its stamina cooldown and yellow means you will use a lot more stamina and probably be too exhausted to do anything.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 12, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Use your consumables; they make a big difference and they aren't in short supply.

Look at all the skill trees; you can use any skills with any character, so don't feel like your berserker has to go with the Real Armor tree or that your Wizardmans can't get into melee. You can't mix and match armor skills (mixing armor styles, e.g. wearing a robe on body and plate greaves on legs, locks out all armor skills), but otherwise go nuts; lots of skills can be handy even if you don't focus on them. Southern Gentlemans can give you some handy passive bonuses so long as you don't let it trick you into playing hastily. The Wizardmans decoy spell is fantastic -- though if you want to use any Wizardmans skills you'll need a way to generate mana, probably Bolt of Foom, which will be underwhelming without a staff.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
When the game warns you about overusing blasphemous tirade, my god they are not kidding. :staredog:

On a different note: I feel like the game needs a few more masters programs, like, maybe there could be one based off of combining dungeon dervish and all of the psychomansery talents that gives some serious upgrades for two-fisted dungeonmans?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Psychomanser+the fire wizardmans skills to enable Falcon Punching motherfuckers so hard they catch fire and fly like 18 spaces directly away from you, destroying all walls in their path

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

NewMars posted:

When the game warns you about overusing blasphemous tirade, my god they are not kidding. :staredog:

On a different note: I feel like the game needs a few more masters programs, like, maybe there could be one based off of combining dungeon dervish and all of the psychomansery talents that gives some serious upgrades for two-fisted dungeonmans?
Yeaaaahhh actually the next patch is going to decouple Dungeon Dervish from Psychomanser :(

Barehanded combat should feel different from weapon-in-each-hand combat. It was a gap in the weapon equip code that let it happen for so long.

Barehanded based masters program is probably the next one, if there is a next one.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

madjackmcmad posted:

Yeaaaahhh actually the next patch is going to decouple Dungeon Dervish from Psychomanser :(

Barehanded combat should feel different from weapon-in-each-hand combat. It was a gap in the weapon equip code that let it happen for so long.

Barehanded based masters program is probably the next one, if there is a next one.

Package it together, give it a witty title and make it a small paid dlc, we throw you money and everyone gets happy?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

madjackmcmad posted:

Will taking the Dervish capstone still allow you to make double attacks with fists, or using a fist in conjunction with a 1-handed melee weapon?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Zeerust posted:

Will taking the Dervish capstone still allow you to make double attacks with fists, or using a fist in conjunction with a 1-handed melee weapon?

All that's changing is that Razor Fury, Decimanser's Dance, and the quick slash power are not usable unless you have a 1h weapon in both hands, fists don't count.

One point in any psychomanser power should unlock "offhand fist", which means not really dual wield but you can punch with both fists. This isn't working currently but it will before I patch it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also bring in "fisticuff" rings. And a champion's belt. :v:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So after a bunch of loving around I think I finally have reproduceable instructions for running dmans on Linux.

code:
# Start with a new wineprefix because .NET is super super finicky
# Use wineconfig to set windows version to win7, turn off virtual desktop
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/Games/Dmans" WINEARCH=win32 wineconfig
# Install XNA 4.0; this also installs .NET 4 and DirectX 9
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/Games/Dmans" WINEARCH=win32 winetricks xna40
# Install Steam
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/Games/Dmans" WINEARCH=win32 winetricks steam
# Steam will start up automatically; log in, install dmans and play
It's still not really playable because this laptop has a 4k screen, but it runs, at least.

E: why does a Psychofocus spawn when I train in wizardmans skills?

Artificer posted:

Hmmm that works alright. No way of scaling the UI/stretching the game or making it so that the game doesn't lag the hell out on full screen mode?

There's no UI scaling/content scaling. I've asked for it before. :(

Your best bet is to change to a lower screen resolution before starting dmans and change back after. On Linux you can automate this with xrandr (or run it on a different X session with a lower resolution, say on tty08). On windows there's probably some kind of game management software you can download to do this for you?

madjackmcmad posted:

I'm excited. The recent changes to barehanded are what got me interested in playing dmans again.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 25, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bug report:

- start creating a character
- get to portrait selection
- alt-F4
- start the game back up and try to create a new character with the same name.

It will say that "[name] is the name of a Dungeonmans currently adventuring" but there's no way to actually load that character.

E: while I'm here, is it possible to use a shield with a Psychomanser?

E2: also, I'm having trouble with custom herosprites; I installed a bunch that were posted in this thread, and, well, they all come out looking like this:

Not just in the sprite selector and load game screen, but in game as well.

Looking at the sprite sheets outside of the game, they're all properly transparent.

E3: another bug report: if you use Toss Weapon so you have a bunch of weapons floating around you, and then kill an enemy with a melee attack, you'll throw a weapon at the enemy after it dies and the log will show you doing ranged damage to it after the death message.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 26, 2017

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Bug report:

- start creating a character
- get to portrait selection
- alt-F4
- start the game back up and try to create a new character with the same name.

It will say that "[name] is the name of a Dungeonmans currently adventuring" but there's no way to actually load that character.

E2: also, I'm having trouble with custom herosprites; I installed a bunch that were posted in this thread, and, well, they all come out looking like this:

Not just in the sprite selector and load game screen, but in game as well.

Looking at the sprite sheets outside of the game, they're all properly transparent.

E3: another bug report: if you use Toss Weapon so you have a bunch of weapons floating around you, and then kill an enemy with a melee attack, you'll throw a weapon at the enemy after it dies and the log will show you doing ranged damage to it after the death message.

It is possible that sprite is not actually properly transparent. If the pixels are like even 0.01f alpha the XNA loader will draw them as white.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

It is possible that sprite is not actually properly transparent. If the pixels are like even 0.01f alpha the XNA loader will draw them as white.

Looking at it in the GIMP, the offending pixels are all RGBA (255,255,255,0). Saving it again with "save transparent pixels" and "save background colours" off results in no visible change to the image contents, but the resulting file is 10% of the size and the white border is gone.

Now trying to figure out what the ImageMagick equivalent to those settings is so I can do this to the rest of the images.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

ToxicFrog posted:

Unless it was fixed, theres an exploit where you get the wield a staff/sword dual wield skill, equip said staff and sword, and then swap the sword with a shield. if you unequip for whatever reason, you have to put a sword (or whatever one handed weapon) in your offhand before you can re-equip the shield. you also can't use f with this configuration to do range, since it'll tell you thats not possible with a shield equip, so you'll have to put your shoot magic skill in slot number 1 and hit 1 when you want to do ranged.

e: also you can theoretically run a psych without a staff, some spells aren't hurt as much by this as others.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Streaming today, and putting out a patch this afternoon.

http://www.twitch.tv/playdungeonmans

Halloween kicks off today!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So the patch just dropped for me, how long until the notes come?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

NewMars posted:

So the patch just dropped for me, how long until the notes come?
Kept you waiting, huh?

http://steamcommunity.com/games/288120/announcements/detail/1448330532482231383

code:
The Horseless Headsman Returns!

He's back (or maybe he never left) and there's a little something new this year. Spooky Adventure Maps will drop during the season, 
leading to all new dungeon types with new boss encounters. You can also collect Rare Mostlies, pets with unique names and 
a full set of class powers that have no time limit and hop back into your inventory when you change areas.

Line of Sight Improvements

Targeting powers and ranged attacks should cleaner and make more sense. Bugs that occasionally let one target see another 
but not vice versa have been fixed. Note that there still may be situations where you can't see a monster but they can see you, 
it's just that those situations won't be based on wonky LOS calculations.

Redistribution of Health
	* No longer targets enemies out of LOS
	* Improved audio/visual effects
	* Will sum all the health leeched and lost before applying it to the caster

Combat Changes
	= Wizard staves can now parry, Fists cannot.
	= Dungeon Dervish powers can no longer be used with fists, and require a 1H weapon in each hand.
	= Debug code that allowed anyone to always equip staff + 1h was still lingering in the game. Whoops. It is gone now.
	= Many delayed attacks -- attacks that happened as part of animations during a special power -- were NOT using the offhand. They are now.
	= Most status effects that require armor will go away when you change out a piece of armor, even if they are the same type.

Bug Fixes/QoL
	= Scrolls of Armor Ascension now properly deliver top-shelf armor mods.
	= UI Fix: clicking on consumables in hotbars while the Use Item window is open won't toss your items in the trash.
	= Status Effect display should be a little more responsive when removing effects.
	= The "Belt" slot, that little box in the bottom right, no longer accepts any items. It will again soon!
	= Deep Rolled the Thunder is no longer usable in the Overworld.
	= Certain legendary items that weren't showing up in the Armor tab will do so now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Redistribution of Health
* No longer targets enemies out of LOS

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

quote:

Deep Rolled the Thunder is no longer usable in the Overworld.

This was hilarious but crashed the game more than half the time though

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So I just got hit by a bug: on the seventh floor of a 15th-level ice-element swamp, I hit the pope with there is only winter, they jump in the murk and don't unsubmerge. No enemies spawn, nothing. Had to exit with a scroll.

Edit: and now I'm crashing on every retaliatory strike, which is making the game unplayable. I'm using 1-handed and shield, with medium armor.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Time to roll a new mans, dunno what build though, haven't played since the new changes.

• Locked thread