Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I keep hearing this mentioned in the roguelikes thread, and this is the first time I've actually looked at it and it looks seriously cool. I really like the per-campaign persistent world that you keep flinging characters into to die, I can't think of another RL that's done that.

That said, it's also something I'd like to play on my laptop, since it looks like it doesn't require much in the way of graphical beef. Are there any plans for a Linux version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

victrix posted:

I have no idea how steam streaming works on Linux, or if it works there, but I stream dmans all the time on my laptop from my home pc, and it is glorious.

It works great on Linux. It doesn't work so well when I'm at the in-laws' house, or when I want to play something on the laptop and my wife is using the desktop for something else (due to limitations in how the streaming capture works, you can't use the machine that's being streamed from for anything else at the same time).

And if I can use the desktop I'm likely to use it for something that actually demands all that power, like Kerbal Space Program.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Crumbleducks posted:

Would love to play this game at some point, but that might be tricky w/o Windows. Any chance of an OSX or Linux build at some point? Or, any reports of running this in Wine?

Based on some quick googling around, it has no entry on WineHQ, and there's some chatter on twitter about it not working in wine. There's a Kickstarter update from last year talking about wanting to add Wine support to the Summer Preview, but no mention of whether that actually made it into the game as released.

So, a fun game that I won't actually be able to play. Oh well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It occurs to me that with the developer in this thread I don't need to scour the kickstarter preview changelogs, I can just ask.

Hey madjackmcmad, did the wine compatibility fixes you were talking about last summer sometime around preview build 1.08 ever make it into the game?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

Yeah, they did, I was using a version of XNA's renderer that didn't jive with Wine, and that was corrected. Andrew Smash was playing the game in Wine for a while.

Awesome. Dungeonmans is a future laptop game once I'm done with Unepic and whatever low-power linux games I picked up during this sale, I think.

Jastiger posted:

This game is currently on sale on Steam for 20%, and I'm so tempted to pull the trigger. Has it been on a flash sale already or should I hold out? From what I see in this thread it looks awesome:)

It hasn't been a flash or daily sale yet, and madjack posted in the roguelikes megathread saying that it won't have one this sale; $14 is the lowest it's going. So if you're going to buy it this sale at all, might as well buy it now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bug reports! Playing in Wine 1.7.

- The help text has some serious glitchiness:

- The description of Light Shield says "Surround yourself in a Science-based shield that absorbs [var1] points of damage before breaking. Blowout:, knock adjacent enemies backwards 3 squares." Pretty sure [var1] should be an actual number and the , after : shouldn't be there.
- If the game crashes during character creation, it becomes impossible to create a character with the name you entered before it crashed

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 2, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So after playing for a bit I'm wondering: what's the point of identification? I mean, it has all this stuff related to ID -- you can upgrade the academy to pre-identify certain items, you can buy or find scrolls of identify, and so forth -- but it all seems kind of pointless, when (a) magic items are immediately identified as such just by looking at them and (b) you can, at any time, return to the Academy and ask the headmaster to identify your entire inventory for free. It kind of reminds me of Diablo 2 or Torchlight, which had item identification as a sort of vestigial holdover from the roguelikes that inspired the original Diablo but without really adding anything to the gameplay.

What am I missing here?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

victrix posted:

Nothing, I remember having the same debate with madjack a year ago :v:

So half the Academy upgrades are just useless then. :psyduck:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I agree with most of that, though! My objection is that that's not really how the game actually works.

Like, I actually really enjoy item identification. I think that the way (for example) Nethack gives you two layers of identification (all visored helms (for this character) are Helms of X-Ray Vision; this particular visored helm is a Cursed Rustproof Helm of X-Ray Vision +2) and multiple, independent types of identification (true item type; blessed/cursed status; magical enhancement of penalty; proofing; remaining charges; etc), most of which can be determined independently, forcing you to choose between true identification (which is relatively rare until late in the game), "good enough" identification that only reveals one or two properties of the item, and "gently caress it, I've got nothing to lose, might as well swig all of these potions at once", is really cool. And I understand why a lot of modern roguelikes have moved away from that, but it's actually something I miss and want to see more of, and was really excited to see in Dungeonmans.

My objection is that having the Headmaster be an infinite, free source of perfect identification makes all of those other gameplay elements redundant and turns it into the same thing as Diablo 2: the trappings of an interesting item identification system that is rendered almost totally irrelevant by the existence of Deckard Cain.

Yeah, to some extent here I'm being That Player1 since I can always play with a self-imposed conduct to never ask the headmaster to ID things, but if you're going to add a big obvious "skip this entire aspect of gameplay" button it makes me wonder why that aspect was added in the first place. I was actually expecting the answer to be something like "the Headmaster can only ID items one tier above the ones you get auto-IDd already", or "later dungeons prevent you from returning to the Academy until you clear them, making in-dungeon identification actually important".

1 "If you give your players two ways to play the game, the easy boring way and the hard fun way, they will choose the easy boring way and then blame you for making a boring game."

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I just want to preface this -- since I've done nothing in this thread so far but report bugs and complain about free item identification -- by saying that I am actually enjoying the poo poo out of this game and I think you've made something really nice here. I tend to complain more about games I really enjoy, because of that feeling that with just a few small tweaks it could be perfect; games I don't like I don't even bother filing bug reports for, I just uninstall them and move on.

E: RIP #3a, killed by my inattention to bleeding DOTs.

Feature request: for skills like Shield Rush that charge at an enemy, being able to see the path that it will take a la ToME's Rush would be pretty great. I've wasted a lot of Shield Rushes on corners that I thought weren't in the way.

Feature request: give me some way of seeing what the status effects on my character actually do. I see the names in the corner, but mousing over them doesn't seem to do anything and there's nothing in the character sheet, either.

Feature request: some kind of visual indicator or log message or something to let me know when a stamina-based ability is no longer on cooldown, this is such a keyboard-friendly game otherwise and it's really aggravating having to constantly mouse over Stick'n'Move or Shield Rush to see when I can use them again.

madjackmcmad posted:

They are exactly how the game works! You just don't like it, which is totally fine. You've played enough so that 1) doesn't happen to you anymore, and you don't find 2) or 3) to be enjoyable anymore. Nothing wrong with that.

Do you have some hax that bring the headmaster with you into every dungeon, following you around IDing everything you pick up right away? Cause that would actually be pretty funny to implement somehow :D Otherwise he's only an infinite, free source of perfect ID if you make it back to him alive, which not everyone does.

(1) does actually still happen to me, but, barring picking up an item and then immediately getting jumped by an enemy and getting sufficiently messed up that it's worth risking the use of that item to escape death -- which happens pretty rarely -- I'm always aware that it happened because I made a conscious decision to let it happen, by choosing to conserve player time at the cost of in-game resources. And I do actually find (2) and (3) enjoyable, I'm not sure why you think I don't.

The thing is, as far as I can tell, the only cost for a full ID is player time. You don't need to pay money for it, you don't lose your progress in the dungeon, there's no global timer or hunger daemon, and you aren't even risking getting jumped by bandits on the way back home because overworld encounters are optional. So for the cost of thirty seconds of scurrying back to the Academy, you can conserve your scrolls for those rare emergencies and get a full inventory ID more or less whenever you want, if you can put up with the tedium.

quote:

What you're saying is exactly like

No, not at all. You can't take the dungeon back to the Headmaster and ask him to clear it for you, and while you can run back and heal after each floor, it's much faster to just hit R for basically the same effect. But you can take all the loot back.

If there were no health or mana regeneration and no respawning enemies, then maybe -- you're faced with the same choice of play the fun way (spend consumables to restore your health and mana as you progress deeper into the dungeon) or play the effective way (run back to the Academy after each fight for a full heal, spending a real-world resource -- time -- to conserve in-game resources). To some extent this is a choice that most games offer (do I play normally, or do I grind mudcrabs for 30 hours so that I can steamroll the rest of the game?), but the more blatant it is the more it bothers me.

I think a large part of this is just that I need to get over my hangups about playing "optimally" and just try to complete each dungeon in one shot and, perhaps, ignore the Headmaster's identification powers so that I get the full Mystery Potion Experience™. But then I have no way of IDing armour and weapons except the scrolls, too. Hmm.

vvv I'm not sure what problem you think I'm having, but it isn't "identification is not readily available".

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 2, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

1) Good idea
2) Some are in the character sheet, all should be
3) I've been putting this off because I'm trying to think of a clean way to do it. You can always press S to see every power, cost, and cooldown rounds.

Realizing that S shows cost and cooldown helps a lot, thanks.

As for displaying it in the quickbar -- overlay it with the number of rounds left? Show the stamina cost in the corner, and have it change colour when it's increased? I don't think I've played another game with this mechanic, so I can't say offhand what's used elsewhere, and UI design isn't really a strength of mine.

quote:

I can show you over a thousand deaths from players jumped by ambushes in the wild :)

Do ambushes become non-optional at some point? So far every one I've gotten has given me a "fight y/n" prompt.

quote:

I guess I can't help you. I think I get what you're saying, which is "Because I have the ability, at any time, to fight my way back out of the dungeon, traverse the overworld to the Academy, and have the headmaster ID all my items for free, I shouldn't have to ID items at all." That's a perfectly valid opinion but I don't feel like it makes the Dungeonmans experience better on the whole.

If that's a mistake, I'll feel it, and lesson learned. It is the very best feeling to make development mistakes and be punished for them personally, as opposed to being on a team where choices are made 4-7 levels above me and no matter how much I disagree with them, it's me and my developer comrades who end up eating poo poo when the time comes.

What I'm actually saying is "since having this makes IDing items in the field largely superfluous, it should be something gradually unlocked and upgraded like the alchemy lab and library, rather than something automatically available as soon as the game starts"; I don't seem to be communicating very clearly today, for which I blame the baby and the cats. I don't know if that changes your assessment any.

Then again, the upgrades seem to go way faster than I expected anyways; I maxed out the alchemy lab after only three characters. I guess most of the upgrade depth is in the smithy and monster memory?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Would you mind posting exactly what you did to get that installed and running?

It's hard to say exactly, because it's in a wineprefix I use for all windows steam games on my laptop, not just Dungeonmans, so some steps may be unnecessary, and others may be things I did ages ago to get other games working and have now forgotten. This should get you pretty close, though.

- Install PlayOnLinux
- Install Steam (there's a script for it, just click Install and search for Steam)
- Install the latest Wine (tools->manage wine versions) and set Steam to use it (configure->wine version)
- Start Steam, log in, and install Dungeonmans
- Turn off the Steam Overlay for Dungeonmans, if you leave it on the game is extremely crashy
- Play!

If the game doesn't even give you the splash screen but just crashes instantly, force XNA to install (Configure->Install Components->xna40) -- Steam should handle this automatically, but it doesn't always work for some reason.

Once it's installed, it doesn't need Steam to be running, so you can create a direct shortcut (Configure->Make a New Shortcut) to dungeonmans.exe and play it without starting Steam.

I have found that switching workspaces when playing is extremely likely to crash it, even without the Steam overlay, so try to context switch only just after a save (which I think happens automatically on floor transitions?)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

victrix posted:

Speaking of the text log, ignoring the direly needed post-death log, it would help the spam a lot if damage messages were consolidated. Right now a weapon with a bunch of damage types (or any attack really) spams the poo poo out of the log.

Dredmor and ToME4 have the same problem. ToME especially, if you have a bunch of attacks or procs or buffs or whatever every damage type from each one of them generates its own message.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

There are no skillbooks for the advanced masteries, Necromanser, Bannermans or Southern Gentlemans.

What makes those "advanced"? Based on chat in this thread before I actually bought the game I thought that meant they had to be unlocked, or couldn't be taken at character creation, or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally decided to get back into Dungeonmans, which means I now have more detailed instructions for setting it up on Linux. I did this using Wine 1.9 and PlayOnLinux, but it should be easy to do "by hand" using WINEPREFIX= and winetricks.

• Create a 32-bit wineprefix and install Steam.
  • Install Dungeonmans. Don't bother running it yet, it won't work.
  • Run the DirectX redist installer from the Dungeonmans directory.
  • Install dotnet40 -- it looks like dmans comes with dotnet45, but I couldn't get that to install, and dotnet40 works.
  • Install xna40
  • Disable the steam overlay for dmans.
  • Do not turn on fullscreen mode, or you will have a bad time.
  • Crush monsters, get loots.

E: if you meet the requirements for an achievement while playing outside of Steam, will it retroactively award the achievement next time it runs inside of Steam?

E2: ok, something weird happened -- my first dungeonmans, Tif 1, died in the tutorial dungeon. Tif 2 cleared a bunch of dungeons before dying at XL5. But after Tif 2 died, when I went to Load Game, it showed me the info for Tif 1! Exiting to the world map showed that I had the map and academy of Tif 2 at the time of death (including which dungeons have been cleared) but the character sheet of Tif 1. Tif 1 is now chilling out in the academy next to her own gravestone.

E3: I wonder if this could be caused by a mix of steam (==steamcloud) and non-steam play -- I created Tif 1 playing in steam, then died and rolled Tif 2 playing outside steam, then killed Tif 2 playing inside steam again.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 20, 2016

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

On the other hand, some fucker will grab you into the meteor AoE, one-shoting yourself with your own meteor, which is bad and funny at the same time.

Those were always my favourite deaths in ToME4 -- loving around with teleportation/superspeed/time manipulation abilities so much that I end up headshotting myself with my own projectiles.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hang on, Demon Truck is on sale and Linux compatible?

Into the cart it goes. Hail satan :black101:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So how do I extract the music from those monolithic data blobs that Demon Truck comes with?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm pretty sure using snake_case for type names makes madjackmcmad the real monster here. :colbert:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Look, it's simple -- there's One True Way to name things and everyone who disagrees with me is demonic hellspawn. I don't get why this is so controversial.

Exactly! And as this thread is full of people of good taste I think we can all agree that that One True Way is variable_name, functionName, TypeName and CONSTANT_NAME.

And now that that's out of the way, on to the next item on the agenda -- standardizing on an editor.

Sweet.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

I don't know that I want Cosmic Hyper Eager Salty Ultra Dreadswarm Murderhobo The 47th's Left Fist, but players should be able to turn resources into better damage just like everyone else can.

I didn't know I wanted that until you said it, but I sure do now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So after a bunch of loving around I think I finally have reproduceable instructions for running dmans on Linux.

code:
# Start with a new wineprefix because .NET is super super finicky
# Use wineconfig to set windows version to win7, turn off virtual desktop
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/Games/Dmans" WINEARCH=win32 wineconfig
# Install XNA 4.0; this also installs .NET 4 and DirectX 9
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/Games/Dmans" WINEARCH=win32 winetricks xna40
# Install Steam
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/Games/Dmans" WINEARCH=win32 winetricks steam
# Steam will start up automatically; log in, install dmans and play
It's still not really playable because this laptop has a 4k screen, but it runs, at least.

E: why does a Psychofocus spawn when I train in wizardmans skills?

Artificer posted:

Hmmm that works alright. No way of scaling the UI/stretching the game or making it so that the game doesn't lag the hell out on full screen mode?

There's no UI scaling/content scaling. I've asked for it before. :(

Your best bet is to change to a lower screen resolution before starting dmans and change back after. On Linux you can automate this with xrandr (or run it on a different X session with a lower resolution, say on tty08). On windows there's probably some kind of game management software you can download to do this for you?

madjackmcmad posted:

Yeaaaahhh actually the next patch is going to decouple Dungeon Dervish from Psychomanser :(

Barehanded combat should feel different from weapon-in-each-hand combat. It was a gap in the weapon equip code that let it happen for so long.

Barehanded based masters program is probably the next one, if there is a next one.

I'm excited. The recent changes to barehanded are what got me interested in playing dmans again.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 25, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bug report:

- start creating a character
- get to portrait selection
- alt-F4
- start the game back up and try to create a new character with the same name.

It will say that "[name] is the name of a Dungeonmans currently adventuring" but there's no way to actually load that character.

E: while I'm here, is it possible to use a shield with a Psychomanser?

E2: also, I'm having trouble with custom herosprites; I installed a bunch that were posted in this thread, and, well, they all come out looking like this:

Not just in the sprite selector and load game screen, but in game as well.

Looking at the sprite sheets outside of the game, they're all properly transparent.

E3: another bug report: if you use Toss Weapon so you have a bunch of weapons floating around you, and then kill an enemy with a melee attack, you'll throw a weapon at the enemy after it dies and the log will show you doing ranged damage to it after the death message.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

It is possible that sprite is not actually properly transparent. If the pixels are like even 0.01f alpha the XNA loader will draw them as white.

Looking at it in the GIMP, the offending pixels are all RGBA (255,255,255,0). Saving it again with "save transparent pixels" and "save background colours" off results in no visible change to the image contents, but the resulting file is 10% of the size and the white border is gone.

Now trying to figure out what the ImageMagick equivalent to those settings is so I can do this to the rest of the images.

• Locked thread