Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I had a character use Quick Dash and dash straight off the level (it's happened a couple of times but never gets any less :stare:.) I've quit for lack of anything else to do, but now loading the game just causes it to crash straight away. What can I do to get around this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Ahh, no luck. Thanks for the hands-on support though! It's just lucky Dungeonmans is so much fun I don't mind starting over :haw:

E: aaugghh lost a level 7 Dungeonman to Storm Driver not working when I needed it most! At least that Fanged Parashu I had will be super rad when I get back down there...

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 22, 2013

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

I finally bought the full version of this and so far the improvements over the already-great Summer Preview are pretty astonishing. I did have a couple questions, though -

-Is there any point to handing in books once my library is full?

-Do I lose access to Dungeonmans graves if I go into a dungeon at Trivial difficulty?

-Is it an intentional feature that you can occupy the same square as an enemy? It seems like it should be a bug, considering i can't see any way of attacking an enemy you're on the same tile as.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

So holy poo poo, I killed the Ancient King that had up(down?)graded to dungeon boss for killing three of my Mans and it dropped a Warpscale Obliterator. On a level 5 Armsmans :stare: Now I'm level 11, with a Conquering brand weapon and I seem to be nearly unkillable. Assuming Tricksomatrices don't steal all my good buffs :argh:

So I saw in the update notes to say when a Dungeonmans pyre isn't available, and I've had that happen more often than not in my game. There's the aforementioned dungeon with three dead Mans to its name - I only found a single pyre. Then there's the Mans who died to the bosses of an Orc camp. His pyre didn't appear in the camp, or in the dungeon that spawned. Which was a shame, since he was level 10 and I've never seen what you get for recovering a L10+ pyre!

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

I think pyres in camps are still spotty, but they're fixed everywhere else.

How do you feel about the Tricksonometrices, are they too common? I aim to have them be a semi-dangerous enemy who makes things worse the longer you keep her up, not an annoyance that always elicits frowns.

The one time I would say there were 'too many' Tricksonometrices was when I went into a Monster Party... and that's what I get for going into a Monster Party, really! Apart from that I felt like they were just common enough to make combats interesting, since there was always a chance they'd steal my precious Fervour buffs! The only enemy I found kind of annoying was Cryoduchesses, just because Coldnado makes their Champion/Ancient King variants horrendously dangerous.

So yeah, I also managed to beat Dungeonmans late last week! :woop: turns out that Warpscale Obliterator was enough to carry my character to the Purpleonian Lands, after which point my Cosmic Warpscale Obliterator and crazy-good (also cosmic) bow and armour were enough to take me through the suitably tough Dread Spire. Although, Dread Foom was a total pushover. ~19 hours from start to finish on one world, not too bad.

I was initially a bit troubled by how quickly a fight could go south with little warning, but after a few runs realised I just wasn't using my items and skills efficiently. That, and getting those precious starting equipment +'s from the Blacksmith and a few starting Proofs making a huge amount of difference!

E: Oh yeah, how do I access the Masters Programs? Is it a random thing, or is there a specific way of getting them?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Is Battle Fervour supposed to restore Stamina in addition to HP with each kill? It's been a feature since I first got Dungeonmans, but it's not documented on the power itself.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Yeah, so with each kill you get a message saying "Mans recovered X stamina from the kill!" in addition to the HP restoration. This occurs separately from the stamina regeneration from taking hits.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Mad Fnorder posted:

I think I'm just awful at this game, and not in a Stone Soup Auto-explore into a Gnoll Pack on D:2 way. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I can't figure out a mix between caution and aggressiveness. Playing very slowly has the endless spawns cause attrition equal to the slow resting regen. Playing quickly inevitably gets you into a ranged pack or knockback mob that results in death. What's the braindead-est build right now?

What level/dungeon are you finding yourself dying at? Stopping to rest is generally better than trying to play fast, although resting after EVERY fight is a bad idea. It's what the doorspikes are for!

I've had the most success using Real Armour, two-handed weapons and bows. The Rangermans abilities are super useful and very strong, and at close range your Armsman abilities have fantastic damage and battlefield control. Real Armour is great for just soaking up damage and turning it into murder-fuel.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Augh, started a new academy, got my Armsmans all the way to level 8 before I got greedy and went into a Monster Party :saddowns: The Hall of Champions made me overconfident! Ah, well, time to try another Grimdark Darkmans. I menat to report before that Volatile Liquidity doesn't appear to actually use any Deadpulses, has that been caught already?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

I just don't seem to be able to get the hang of Necromansy. The deadpulse system discourages me from experimenting because most deadpulse powers use up your entire supply. I wonder if I'm just too hesitant, though, considering most levels get blanketed with the dang things in short order and I should learn to just retreat and acquire more whenever I fire off one of the powers.

I also just can't get anywhere with the Southern Gentlemans. Can anyone give me tips on builds/strategies?

Incidentally, Volatile Liquidity still doesn't consume Deadpulses on use!

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

yeah, I keep meaning to bring that up. It'd be fantastic if towns were overhauled to just have 1 of each shop. having 3-4 of each per town makes shopping a nightmare!

I also had a screenshot of a bug I've been experiencing a lot since the new rumour system that unfortunately isn't on this machine. The short version is, every town has an entrance to a dungeon in it! It'll be "<Town Name> B1" on the town, but when I entered it it dropped me in a Heroic difficulty dungeon halfway across the world and I got murderised.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 29, 2014

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

Does resetting the overworld fix this? What a terrible bug, I'm very sorry.

It seems to be something I see in more or less every game I have. I haven't reset my overworld for the new build yet, though. Personally, I thought it was hilarious, it's what I get for entering mysterious dungeons in towns :v:

quote:

That is exactly how towns used to be, and no one liked it I can certainly find a happy medium.

I think just the fact towns now have an Inn would help reduce the homogenity. Otherwise the 'flea market' thing sounds good. Maybe brick-and-mortar scroll/potion shop and armoury then a Hive Of Savings-esque free-for-all just off the square?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

At low levels I'd recommend hitting up roadblocks, they have at least one champion each and also drop Purloined Inventory.

I forgot about this, but I just wanted to say how much I love this change. It makes the roadblocks something I actually go for, instead of avoiding after a while. However, I have noticed the camps in forests don't seem to work the same way?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Carnalfex posted:

Lack of autoexplore was the only thing stopping me from grabbing this immediately after seeing the summer preview. Game is looking better and better though!

Dungeonmans really doesn't need it. The areas are all really tightly designed and there's almost no downtime outside of going to the stairs when you've cleared a level.

Tin Tim posted:

Finally grabbed a copy and it owns! The game really has come quite a way since I hosed around with the preview build. The graphical overhaul is especially nice!

Short newbie question though, what is a good way to determine dungeon orders? Like, I cleared the beginner dungeon(which had too many casters spawn on the last floor for my liking, kinda poo poo for a fighterman when you're out of stamina and can't catch them), and the next few dungeons exploded into treasure because I was too awesome. Then I took my Lv4 Fightermans into the showdown at the highway. I could handily deal with the mooks, but got killed in like two hits by the champion dude.

Rip Goku the first :qq:

Risk management is a big thing in this game, because enemies - especially uniques - can have talents that are absurdly deadly. Always assume that that unique can kill you and act appropriately. If you're sword-and-board, use skills like the rush and deflect to shut down enemy actions and maximise your defences. Disengage the second things start going south, recovering momentum can be really risky in a game with no quick-fix heals.

If you're going two-handed, use Crowd Control at all times and laugh maniacally.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Carnalfex posted:

I'm not sure what has changed since the preview build, but in there the only thing that "reduced downtime" was that things respawned about as fast as you killed them, so you were constantly wading through waves of trash. That works for a game like diablo 3 when you can hold down a button and clear whole screens while mashing whatever mobility boost your class has to get to the next interesting fight, and still be able to react in real time when you see a threat. In a turn based game it means falling asleep on the movement key and then taking 50 hits in a row and insta-gibbing. Auto-explore is the cure to that.

On the plus side no animations on the sprites means you don't have to wait to move each tile or wait a year for all the attack animations when the screen is full of baddies. Dredmor did that and it could be a slog at times.

Enemies do respawn at a decent clip, but what I mean is that levels are fairly compact - corridors are short and 99.9% of the time they lead to a room containing things to kill/steal. When you've killed everything it usually takes about 30 seconds to get to the stairs.

Games like Crawl and ToME need AEx because they have huge sprawling levels of which about 30% is usually bare terrain. It's a mechanic used to solve a problem the game itself created. Dungeonmans avoids that by keeping the level design tight, the dungeons short-ish and making travel easy enough without having to press the Solve Tedium button.

E: I AM SO EXCITED FOR TOMORROW

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

victrix posted:

I think 2h/dw/s&b could all use another skill line each, and another generic melee line to help flesh them out.

My vote goes to a Musclemans program. Skill trees for wrasslin' and bein' tough.

quote:

And there's the stamina problem. I think Tireless should be baseline, with less skills PLUS a penalty to stamina use, it's a double whammy compared to playing a caster.

I find this problem is handily fixed through judicious use of Battle Fervour. I've never gotten anywhere with a melee character with anything other than Real Armour. My most successful characters have focused on Legendary Armsmans, Real Armour and Skirmish Archery. You get a great package of offense, defence and mobility.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Are you supposed to get ghost professors before you find the Mans' grave?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

That really shouldn't be happening, I'll have to see what's up. Thank you.

Oh yeah, dang, I had the same issue but forgot to raise it. Also, is it intended that you can use a bow if you've gotten a point in Skirmish Archery from a book but still don't have Basic?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

The Dungeonmans, Defeated

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

A few fun bugs, most all reported as they were found, but also pictures!

The Mountain Fortress likes generating rooms with no exit:

Also the entrance to them appears to be an alchemy artifact:

Also:
-Banner of the Herald Triumphant seems to have the power description of The Herald Militant if examined under 's'.
-The Inexhaustible and Tireless egos at the Blacksmith don't seem to have a description.
-And I Am Death Incinerator! seems to have some weird text in its description:

In other news, I got a Grimdark Darkmans far enough to unlock Boil Hatred, and by god it is hilarious. Having the Bloodrager and Hateglacier is a tag-team of map-clearing madness.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 27, 2014

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Got my first victory in the post-Early Access build! Dread Spire and the final fight was awesome, although maybe a little easy. That said, my Grimdark Darkmans was kind of OP by the end.

I also finished with about 13,000 gold, just because I didn't really have anything to spend it on by the end. I didn't need skillbooks and I had a huge stockpile of consumables by the end. This was without selling anything I ever found, as well, which meant in addition to that I had about 3000 units of everything up to Foominite, and I found about 180 Starmetal in the entire game.

Weirdly, some of my Cosmic gear dropped from +7 to +3 at some point, and my Ever-Standing Greaves vanished altogether :stare:. I also broke the inventory a bit:

I'm wondering if it would be better for upgrade scrolls to have more chance of upgrading the existing brands instead of adding new ones. Apart from the obvious technical benefit of not breaking the UI, this would make individual weapons and armour more distinct, and if elemental resistance played more of a part in combat it would mean you'd have a reason to keep more than one weapon, or at least have a reason to care about what damage types the weapon has. As is, elemental resistances on enemies doesn't seem to affect melee in any meaningful way. It might be more of a concern for spellcasting, but when you're doing 5d16 damage on a hit, that 2d8 cold damage is really not a concern.

What if elemental brands converted a % of your physical damage into elemental, and had a enchantment level-based bonus to that element of damage on them as well as the debuff? E.g. your Freezinating Iron Beatstick does 50% Cold damage, with a chance to freeze and a 5% Cold damage bonus. It would be interesting for hybrid characters - Darkmans for example would want cold-based weapons to enhance their skills, and Bannermans would want starlight weapons.

Also I had this glitch in a Hive of Savings in the Dread Spire:

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Sundae posted:

Are there no skill books for Southern Gentlemans or Bannermans? I ended the game without finding a single skillbook for either of those trees, and that's after buying out every book in the land and save/loading the Academy four or five times just to see.

AFAIK there aren't books for Southern Gentlemans, Bannermans, or Necromansy.

I have the lamest, most pedantic feedback imaginable: I hate how the XP gauge doesn't reset as you level up! It always reflects you TOTAL xp versus the amount you need to get to the next level.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Cerepol posted:

To unlock King of Battle when it says Polearms is that only the Starlight Soldier line or also the Banner lines as well?

So far I've got that Shieldcraft and Real Armour and no King of Battle yet.

The skill trees for King of Battle are Starlight Soldier, Shieldcraft and Cartography.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

I believe costs do scale with your capacity, but not as quickly. Once you reach very high levels the costs become practically trivial.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Are these options going to be open to characters at any level, or only to those who've cleared the Dread Spire?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

All this stuff is probably on a big list somewhere, but I'm finally stomping through the latest version and I'm seeing a few bugs I'd noticed before. Nothing gamebreaking but they do kind of mess with game balance a tad.

Firstly, Volatile Liquidity (the third Necronomics power) still uses no Deadpulses and does barely any damage. Secondly, Battle Fervour still replenishes Stamina with kills. Also, I hadn't noticed this before, but is the Mostly ability supposed to use 1 deadpulse or 2? It says 1 in the description but uses 2.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Okay, maybe I underestimated the utility of Volatile Liquidity. Being free and turnless means I can just throw it down on every enemy I ever see, and when they die they give me a persistent Mostly that never goes away and roams around in my wake, killing off enemies that spawn around in a wave of semi-ineffectual attacks.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

It looks like the trap maze type dungeon doesn't spawn character pyres.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Holy moly, I am frigging hype for this patch. I can never resist the fist.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Volatile Liquidity seems to still use up all your deadpulses rather than just 1-2, yeah. Everything else seems okay, though. Messenger of Oblivion and Summon Mostly both seem to work for me, at least.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

How deep is the Dream of Distant Dungeons? Does it just keep going until you die? I lost my latest Psychomanser to entering a level into a roomful of high-level Orcs :saddowns:

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Ancient King Cryoduchesses seem to be one of the most dangerous enemies in the game, their damage output is frankly unreasonable.

So is it just me, or does it seem like elemental damage affixes do nothing at the moment? I'm not seeing the damage report mention the additional damage, at the very least.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Yes, the skills are Necronomics, Deadcrafting and Legendary Armsman.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

nessin posted:

Is there a max level to the library or a point where you aren't going to get any significant benefit from turning it books? Right now I"m just turning them all in without considering whether I can get a use out of them on my current character, but I haven't seen my library upgrade in a while.
Level 4 is the final level AFAIK. Once you've got the four tomes in the library handing more books in doesn't do anything.

quote:

Also, how are you supposed to play Necromancer? I mean the basics of the Necromancy part are fairly self-explanatory but it seems like you need to spend some points to fall back on a more traditional means of killing things to generate Deadpulses or suppliment your pets. Is there any downside to putting on heavy armor and playing a subpar Fightermans or going for a bow, instead of putting points down the Wizard path?

Necromansy definitely relies on other styles to supplement it. Grimdark Darkmans is a Master's Program that specifically rewards playing a two-handed melee character supplemented by necromansy; in fact, I'm crushing the Dread Spire with one right now!

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

I just won a game for the first time in maybe a year... then accidentally killed myself in a Graveyard by using Redistribution of Health on a Zombiemans horde. :saddowns:

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Also... Is there a way to store gear you find for future dungeonmans? I've found a rad shield, but alas, I'm a mage/necro, and I want to pass it down to future generations.

Some gear is awesome enough to go into the Wargear Vault at the Blacksmith, specifically nonrandarts, set items and Cosmic stuff.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

I used Blasphemous Tirade whilst On Notice :stare:

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

I might be misremembering, but I have a nasty feeling the Grimdark Darkmans skills all require a 2-handed weapon.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

I haven't played this game in what feels like years. What's a good basic dungeonmans to kick off a new world? Rangermans? Sword and board?

I personally find Sword & Board gets a pretty rough start due to the lack of ranged options, and on a virgin Academy that can hurt in the early dungeons. My favourite build for reliable performance is bows, two-handed weapons and medium armour; you get a reliable ranged attack, powerful melee with a lot of control options and high mobility. Getting out of danger and chipping enemies at a distance are the most crucial skills if you don't have the stats/gear to facetank through everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

When you get the Battlemage ability, does it automatically give you proficiency with one-handed weapons?

• Locked thread