Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Came across a couple of wonky bugs the other day. I was clearing out a leveled fortress and discovered that one of the rooms was totally inaccessible due to trees spawning in both ends of the hallway leading to the door. I was able to circumvent this probably unintended behaviour using other, almost certainly not intended behaviour: Storm Driver (I think? The two-handed leaping whirlwind slash) allowed me to jump directly on top of a tree, but only from a diagonal angle. I'm using King of Battle to use 2h skills with a polearm, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I was wondering whether Volatile Liquidity being instant was intended. RIP horrendously powerful spell, hello still very, but slightly more reasonably, powerful spell.

e: I'd also like to reiterate that you are a good dev :)

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 26, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Also, can I just say that Dungeonmans probably has the single best soundtrack of any Procedural Death Labyrinth game I have ever played? Because its soundtrack owns.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It's possible that he had one of those block/parry buffs and it pushed his block/parry chance to 100% or close to it. Enemies will still counterattack you when they block or parry, even if they die from the damage. I'm guessing you hit him with a big fuckoff flurry and he countered every single hit and then died, and you also died from the counter damage. I've had fights where an enemy hits me and I block, then he blocks my counter and counters, which I block, and we just kind of sit there furiously slapfighting until he dies and time resumes.

Not sure how he survived at negative health - I don't think I've ever seen a monster do that.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You killed each other so hard that reality itself died in the collateral damage :stare:

e: I'll plug dmans on social media later today, if I have time. Maybe I can get a few people to buy copies :)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Store bought items can't be melted down by the blacksmith iirc. I think that's the only difference.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I always go into the Hive of Savings and buy every single champion potion I can find. Those things are life savers, and they remain powerful and valuable basically forever, regardless of your build or level.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The XP for decoys is usually pretty trivial anyway, although I guess a sufficiently determined Hypothetical Optimal Man could spend, like, a week farming a level or two off of them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Verdugo posted:

We need a Demon Truck / Dungeonmans crossover now. Truckmans?

Dungeon Truck. You are a brave daredevil Truckermans and you must drive your Dungeon Truck down through the Stygian depths of Truck Dungeon, crashing through gobold biker gangs and speed demon street racers until you reach the hollow core of the world where dread Carthulhu lies dreaming. If you can best Carthulhu in a death race, the world is saved and you ride victorious from the Truck Dungeon on your blazing chariot of diesel glory. Otherwise you die in a totally sweet explosion.

e: hahaha holy poo poo, as if this is the first post on page 66

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 19, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Also, there is persistence between games because your Diesel Satan becomes the endboss for your subsequent Truckermans until one of them wins the game, becoming the new Diesel Satan.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

My Ironmans dream is that after you clear the Dread Spire you return to the statue and have the option of becoming the Headmaster for a new Academy. The world changes from Ironmans back to regular and your hero is the headmaster forever in that world.

OK this would totally rule. Ideally the game should also maintain a permanent record of all Ironmans winners across all worlds, and they should occasionally get little references in randomized book titles or NPC comments, because they are Legendary Mans.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Please implement bee traits that can be taken as one of the two at character creation.

Full of Bees: Thanks to some scary curse or horrifying evolutionary quirk, your blood tends to congeal into bees upon leaving your body. When you take heavy damage, you will sometimes fire a retaliatory spray of angry blood bees at your attacker.

Definitely Not a Bee: You are definitely a normal Dungeonmans and not a poorly-disguised bee infiltrator. You occasionally shoot poisonous stingers at enemies when attacking them.

Also, please make them compatible so we can be bees full of bees.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I'm a sucker for unlocks, especially if they mostly enable goofy stuff like challenge modes or weird alternative playstyles. :shobon:

e: I assume they would be global unlocks, instead of tied to an individual world? People are gonna want to try Bee Ironmans and the like.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Emong posted:

So long as you're taking requests can you make it so Psychomansers can get glorious fists?

Honestly, just let us burn scrolls on our bare goddamn hands. Give yourself flaming bee hands and then break your hands trying to hammer too many enchantments into them, resulting in the loss of all their enchantments and a bunch of health (because you shattered your freaking hands with a hammer you oaf). Salford's Solvent would let Psychomansers reset their enhandments if they wanted, though that isn't nearly as funny as just accidentally smashing the piss out of them with a giant mallet.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

There was a short-lived IVAN Exploits LP kicking around for a while that was heavily based around luring sumo wrestlers and popes over banana peels until they slipped and their arms flew off.

This thread is what you want. It's me, I'm the shameful abandoned IVAN LP guy.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Disclaimer: if you make extensive use of Volatile Liquidity or manually summon a lot of Mostlies (for some reason), you will quickly go completely insane waiting for your billions of melty zombie things to finish their individually animated attacks against every enemy, barrel, and suspicious-looking butterfly within a 500 km radius. The other minions are good though.

IIRC the top Grimdark Darkmans skill is a really powerful summon, isn't it? Given that GDDM also gives you what is generally regarded as the most ludicrously powerful attack in the game, that definitely sounds like a good investment. If you can summon a raging hateglacier alongside your angry blood tears frowny golem or whatever then yeah, your planned skill investments sound quite solid.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

They last 5 rounds now.

Oh thank god. Maybe I'll start actually using them again! :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Should partial mitigation really override Dodge's total damage avoidance in priority, though? That seems like a really weird corner case to me. I dunno, I'm not a roguelike dev, I just play this game :shrug:

Counterattacks are indeed sick as hell though. My almighty spear-and-shield King of Battle completely wrecks dudes all around her when she buffs up and starts blocking every other hit.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I do kinda feel that counter-counter-counter chains should work a bit differently - maybe keeping the back-and-forth brawling aspect, but only applying damage from the last counter on either side as one combatant finally wins out over the other in a Zorro-esque fencing match - since it seems a little counterintuitive to end up taking meaningfully more damage in one turn because your block/parry is really high and you got into a massive slapfight with a warlord before finally whiffing a block. That's just a minor thing, though. Counterattacks are rad.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

god drat some turkish dude just burned me to ash in the middle of the night, send help

Well if you didn't want to get oneshotted by an :iceburn: from a random elite, you shouldn't have neglected your resistances :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I initially thought that bone thing was some sort of trumpet and now I really hope that, against all odds, it turns out to be some sort of trumpet.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Those were always my favourite deaths in ToME4 -- loving around with teleportation/superspeed/time manipulation abilities so much that I end up headshotting myself with my own projectiles.

I think my favourite ToME4 death is the time I fought my time clone at the temporal rift, put a beefy damage displacement shield on just before the scripted TIME PARADOX thing where time automatically kills you because you killed your past self or whatever, displaced over 5,000,000 damage to him, died instantly because his damage displacement displaced the damage back onto me, used the Blood of Life to come back to life, and then watched him somehow die again and then died again myself because his Damage Smearing was still trying to ablate like 20% of a million undisplaced damage and part of that got displaced onto me again.

After the initial :stare: wore off I was laughing much too hard to be properly angry about it. Only in ToME.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 25, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Couple bugs:

The Triger mask is amazing, and I like that it inexplicably turns you into a Triger King on the map, but it also turns you invisible in forests on the map which makes it hard as hell to figure out where you're going :shobon:

The falling boulder spell cast by the scrobold shamans in the Mountain Fortress seems to be a bit janked; it was hitting me - for significant damage (fatal, in fact) - when I was not on any of the tiles that were previously indicated as targets. I'd get the warning, move out of the way, and take damage anyway as though I'd stood still and tried to catch the boulders in my mouth.

I love the Horseless Headsman fight. I was dying at his little rage-poem just before the final battle :)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Spooky cubes? I got mine from the Bee King that showed up when I dumped out a crapload of spooky buckets :confused:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

For future reference, I believe the Doomsayer or whatever, the wacky old singing guy who drops pennies and sells incredibly strong items, also sells the Headsmans' ballad. I'm pretty sure he sells a book that can trigger the Horseless Headsmans event out of season, as well.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ironically, you can survive razorblade candy by eating more candy.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

An argument in favour of wizardmanses being able to go staff-and-shield: a wizardmans who is kinda garbage at actual foomery and just bulldozes everything with shield charges and staff beatings would be hilarious.

I really like the fact that Bannermanseses don't use MP anymore. Pure stamina management is more straightforward and makes using a heavy shield a more meaningful, impactful choice due to the max stamina penalty, and it frees up all your mana for clever hybridization like Rhombus of Rime area lockdowns in your bannerzone or chicanerous Tricksonometry use.

e: are there plans for any more Master's trees? A Southern Gentlemans + Psychomanser influenced frenzied berserker luchador (berserkador) tree that lets you use up resources other than Ire in button-mashing rampages would be baller.

e2: ...holy crap I need to try a barefisted Grimdark Dark Gentlemans

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 28, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

e: Next build:

That rules.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Alternatively, take the entire Tricksonometry tree because it's good as gently caress.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ratpick posted:

Now trying a Necromanser with Legendary Armsman on top of it, because apparently there's a Master's Program that unlocks when you go that way? Anyway, I'm not quite sure how it works, but thus far I've been doing okay even though I miss the oomph of having a bow on top of being able to murder monsters in the face when they get too close. I think I also made the mistake of boosting Foom instead of Science, since I'm not seeing Foom having any effect on my Necromanser abilities.

One more question though: what are the effects of the other options that you get at level 10? I get that having a level 10 character retire gives you a mans that can immediately teach you three levels of a skill, but what benefits are there to having a mans found a tavern or wander the wilderness?

Foom is still pretty nice for extra stamina/mana, and I think it adds a bit of extra oomph to all area attacks - possibly including two-hander special moves, but I'm not sure on that. Necromansy definitely gets a terrific power boost from Science though, so consider raising that; your resistances and the effectiveness of your potions will also benefit. Regardless, your Stremf should usually be your highest stat (or close to it), since it directly influences most of your damage output and ability to not die from damage input.

I forget what founding a tavern does, but I believe wilderness wanderers will rarely show up as random encounters in future runs, possibly offering to sell fancy items. I don't know much beyond that since all of my Dungeonmens are brave mighty monster crushers who retire directly into death by valiantly falling in super cool battle. I checked the wiki to look for more information, but there's... not a lot on the wiki, so :v:

e: You know what? I'm gonna start a soft-Ironmans academy where I play in regularmans difficulty, but my rule is that I only play until someone dies. So I have to try to get every Dungeonmans to level 10 or higher and then retire them to beef up the Academy and send out a younger, fresher, more dungeony Dungeonmans to crush more dungeons. Some sort of mediumcore mode would be a neat addition to the game, like a Coppermans difficulty or something. Tinmans. Just have the game hold all of the Academy upgrades brought in by your current mans in escrow until your mans comes home to retire, and chuck them all in a fire if your mans eats dirt in a dungeon somewhere. No ghost to recover, no reward at all, you failed, you beefed it, try again you dingus.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 3, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Also, put in a Master's skilltree that unlocks via completely filling out Psychomansy + dual wielding, and just contains absolutely ridiculous wuxia poo poo like "every single enemy you kill in melee immediately gets kicked at other enemies like a barrel" and "your hands gain block and parry derived from your Skills and Science attributes; blocking or parrying without a shield equipped will suplex and stun melee attackers and has a chance to hurl projectiles back at range" and the capstone, the ability to collectively expend all of your Tempo and Verve for a hellaciously radical Dim Mak that does massive damage to a single target and can cause it to loving explode

e: you could probably give the death punch ultimate a badass rider effect depending on your stance, too!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Managing to wrap your graveyard around like that should just fill every worldmap tile on either side of your academy, in a straight line from east to west, with graveyards that function like villages except instead of shopkeepers it's just more grumpy expendable redshirt ghosts that bitch at you for running a terrible Academy and not-so-subtly remind you that there's a "create new continent" option if you want to erase your shame.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

All dungeons reset between mans.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

No more getting stuck behind trees when hunting down Champions in Fallen Castle maps.

Please tell me that's the final, official, in-game flavour text :allears:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

Tangent: I made this little twin stick shooter/garden/arcadey game during Ludum Dare 38. It's free and you can play it if you like flying around shooting poo poo with lightning while AI mens build you a planet

https://triger-mountain.itch.io/this-is-not-enough-planet

Cost is zero dollars, but you can totally through dungeonmans dev fuel in the tip jar if you like :tipshat:

This is dope, but it makes my shitbox computer scream and chug around the point where the third type of enemy ship starts to show up :v: Cool little game though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You'd probably know if you had fought the fortress boss; they have this whole dramatic intro with different music, and they're tougher than the elites.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Read everything and continue on the path to becoming a true smarty mans.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Put in a mode where absolutely everything decays, including unspent money and proofs and unconsumed consumables. Also, experience you've gained towards your next level. Entropymans.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Alright that pretty much rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ok but there should also be a Handsmith who can apply hammers to hands for you.

• Locked thread