Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

brocretin posted:

My apologies for spamming up the thread with this stuff, there's just some funny poo poo going round on the Steam community hub.

Wow, so they fired up the "you only get one city until you bankroll more" civ and are somehow surprised that they don't get settlers? Man, some people really shouldn't be allowed to play games until they pass a literacy test and make a sworn statement that they actually look at information that is provided to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Tithe has been 1 gold per 4 for at least a month now. Didn't play before that.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

thehumandignity posted:

It was originally 2 but it got nerfed a long time ago, not a new change to BNW.

That's what I saw, too, when I ordered it. Now it's gone and there's just this.

Not worth throwing a riot. Also not something I am going to fondly remember in the future.

The one that gives you gold for every city that follows the faith is 2 gold, though. Church Property, I think?

Also, I am among those waiting for a code. From Green Man Gaming, in this case, but I guess it is a problem higher up than them.

That same picture in the post I quoted, if I look on the same place, it's listed at July 9th, so maybe it's just reading you as being someplace other than NA?

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
Anyone else having issues turning the DLC on? It shows up under DLC, I check it... won't enable. I've validated my install, I've restarted Steam... any ideas?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Delete ClientRegistry.blob

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

sicarius posted:

Anyone else having issues turning the DLC on? It shows up under DLC, I check it... won't enable. I've validated my install, I've restarted Steam... any ideas?

I even reinstalled and it won't work, I'll mess with it in the morning.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Delete ClientRegistry.blob

Will try.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

thehumandignity posted:

It probably is, if that's what it was advertised as, but when I ordered it it had the big "July 9th" banner over it that some people are posting screenshots of now. Now, the game's page on the GMG store says 12th. That isn't cool. It's not a big deal to me, certainly not enough to cancel the charge, or swear off buying from GMG again, or even enough to complain to them, but it isn't okay.

http://i.imgur.com/3AwBnX5.jpg

Totally still the same and they totally didn't magically change it on you. (Unless you're not in the US)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I feel to clear up some confusion GMG had 2 pages for Brave New World, a EU one and an NA one.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/sid-meiers-civilization-v-brave-new-world-na/

The NA one does not say July 12th. It in fact says the 9th.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 9, 2013

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
This should go in the OP re: GMG buyers

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

dreffen posted:

http://i.imgur.com/3AwBnX5.jpg

Totally still the same and they totally didn't magically change it on you. (Unless you're not in the US)

Okay, I faked that screenshot.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

That's not how Venice Works Lizzy...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

thehumandignity posted:

Look at my post. You're on the wrong page.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

RagnarokAngel posted:

Look at my post. You're on the wrong page.

Your link takes me to the same page as before. I have no clue what you're talking about.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Wow Shaka really loves war. So much so it's loving impossible to negotiate peace! I should have known!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

brocretin posted:

My apologies for spamming up the thread with this stuff, there's just some funny poo poo going round on the Steam community hub.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty funny actually.

Better than people in this thread complaining about GMG anyway...

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

thehumandignity posted:

Okay and if it says the 12th you may not be in the US and could be in fact somewhere that isn't the US, where the game is coming out on the 12th.

If you're in the US then that's really god drat weird.

Edit: ragnarokangel is faster than me phone posting is as bad as preordering from GMG

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp, I think this game is lost. Suleimon was postering aggressively but I was confident that I had enough composites to hold him off.

Then he built the Terracotta army and, well, gently caress. Gonna see how long I can hold him off but he's doing a rather good :killdozer: impression from sheer mass.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

dreffen posted:

Okay and if it says the 12th you may not be in the US and could be in fact somewhere that isn't the US, where the game is coming out on the 12th.

If you're in the US then that's really god drat weird.

Edit: ragnarokangel is faster than me phone posting is as bad as preordering from GMG

I'm not in the US but previously I always saw the "July 9th" banner that everyone else seems to. Now I see this. I don't particularly mind waiting until the 12th, but it isn't right to change something like that on someone after they've already paid.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Well this doesn't look good:

quote:

Dean_Demon posted 4 minutes ago
Hi All If anyone hasn't received their key yet for the game please submit a Support Ticket if you haven't already done so already via: https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/entries/23363853-How-to-submit-a-support-request and they will get back to you and look into this as soon as possible

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Good lord the Terracotta Army sounds broken. I mean, I always thought it needed an actual effect to make it worth acquiring, but this isn't what I had in mind, Firaxis!

THE SADDEST NECKBEARD posted:

the opening scene made me shed some tears...
Menu theme song made the tears fall out... setting up a game atm

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Alkydere posted:

Welp, I think this game is lost. Suleimon was postering aggressively but I was confident that I had enough composites to hold him off.

Then he built the Terracotta army and, well, gently caress. Gonna see how long I can hold him off but he's doing a rather good :killdozer: impression from sheer mass.

Man, the Terracotta Army sounds like a warmonger's favorite wonder now. Does it also duplicate the promotions your units have? Can you ruins-upgrade a duplicate of an already upgraded unit?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Their automated system probably failed somehow...welp I guess if an employee tells you to do so can't hurt to.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Goons who can't play yet: if you want a quick look I posted a quick but hopefully-detailed account of the first half-hour of play over here in the LP thread.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Is he an official company representative or just a volunteer moderator? If the latter, there's not much more he can say.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Ok got it to work thanks to the steam forums:

"Hi, if you got BNW but it doesn't show up when lauching civ, here is what you have to do...
go to your steam folder and look for your expansions: \SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC\Expansion and \SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC\Expansion2 and check your files, you are missing one .dll file in the expansion2 folder. Copy that .dll file from the Expansion folder to the Expansion2 folder and rename it to:

CvGameCore_Expansion2.dll

and you should be ready to go!"

The problem is it's using the G&K UI so I still can't play, at least I can look at the pretty things...

*edit* An alternative is to steal a friend's real .dll file and it works perfectly.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 9, 2013

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

isndl posted:

Is he an official company representative or just a volunteer moderator? If the latter, there's not much more he can say.

I think he's just an overwhelmed volunteer, so yeah, there's very little he can do.

Also holy poo poo

WOW posted:

im ♥♥♥♥ign crying rightnow & i can barrely type, where is my GODAM KEY!!!!

brocretin fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 9, 2013

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
The new, considerably lower culture from buildings + great works basically means that if you choose liberty you will grow old and die before a city claims a third-ring tile. Jesus.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The Zulu unique promotions are hideously good :psyduck:

With an Ikanda you can buy Spearmen straight up with Buffalo Chest AND Buffalo Horns right out the gate. +50% to flanking total, +10% in open terrain, +20% defense against ranged attacks, and +1 movement. Get one promotion extra and you can tack on the third and final promotion for another +25% to flanking, another 10% against ranged, and a flat +10% combat strength.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I bought a key from Amazon US and am currently downloading BNW through Spotflux. It's going surprisingly well for a free VPN, jumping between 500KB/s and 2MB/s. I'd only ever used VPNs to unlock pre-loads before, does anyone know what happens when I turn off the VPN? As far as I know with pre-loads it would re-encrypt the files, will Steam just delete the BNW files?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Morocco with Petra strikes me as insanely broken. Their Kashbah tile improvement gives another +1 food, producton, and gold to desert tiles.

edit: It's pretty funny that the strength of a Civ in this game is pretty much inversely proportional to how strong they were historically.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 9, 2013

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

How large is the expansion? I have a somewhat slow internet connection (:canada:) so I'm wondering if it's worth staying up so it can download while I sleep.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Hmm Civ5 just crashed just as I was starting to throw out battleships as a Venice diplo victory. Probably going to do a culture or domination victory now.

Venice thoughts:
  • Trade routes are great, there's a ton of stuff that boosts them too, I had about 14 trade route slots and I got ~20-30 gold for each one and was pulling in ~500 GPT by turn 200 or so.
  • New culture trees are neat, exploration has a +4 gold per trade route on it but I don't think exploration is worth it unless you're really interested in digging up archaeology stuff.
  • City spread mechanics were definitely changed, I frequently noticed my cities grabbing 4th ring luxuries before 3rd ring food and sometimes before 2nd ring rough hexes.
  • Not being able to trade gold with the AI anytime is a huge bummer, I think it might bump me down a difficulty until I figure out how to expand again.
  • The World Congress is really neat. Only downside is it's basically impossible to get anything done until the industrial/modern era where 1 civ can get all the votes by bribing city states.

Also counterintuitively for a nation that eats city states, I think diplomacy or domination are their easiest victories. OCC culture is weird now so I dunno how to pull it off but Venice makes so much money I was keeping control of all the city states even with Lizzy in the game stealing them with spies constantly. The other option is to just buy a huge army and go crush people.

uPen fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 9, 2013

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Odobenidae posted:

How large is the expansion? I have a somewhat slow internet connection (:canada:) so I'm wondering if it's worth staying up so it can download while I sleep.
979 MB, quite small.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SickZip posted:

Morocco with Petra strikes me as insanely broken. Their Kashbah tile improvement gives another +1 food, producton, and gold to desert tiles.

Didn't Petra get nerfed in BNW?

And holy poo poo, they nerfed ceremonial burial but left Tithe exactly the same? Now the running for "best religion" isn't even close.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

brocretin posted:

Also holy poo poo

Jesus christ that is downright pathological.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
The choices you pick from goodie huts with Pathfinders seems to cycle back in after a couple huts. Combined with the ability to upgrade Pathfinders to Composite Bowmen, this seems absurdly good.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gort posted:

Didn't Petra get nerfed in BNW?

And holy poo poo, they nerfed ceremonial burial but left Tithe exactly the same? Now the running for "best religion" isn't even close.

Not so much "nerfed" as "redesigned". It no longer gives gold but it does give a trade route which is a far more powerful tool.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Francis posted:

The new, considerably lower culture from buildings + great works basically means that if you choose liberty you will grow old and die before a city claims a third-ring tile. Jesus.

Sounds like the religion that makes cities acquire new tiles is stronger than ever now?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Woo for new thread.

I managed to get some scratch together a buy the expansion before I lost my 10% discount, so I'm pleased. Starting up my first game as a random civ continents game on King so I can learn the new mechanics.

And my civ will be... Askia. HAHA, TIME FOR PILLAGING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Alkydere posted:

Not so much "nerfed" as "redesigned". It no longer gives gold but it does give a trade route which is a far more powerful tool.

Yup, before you'd get maybe 8 gold from a huge petra city multiplied by buildings. Now you can just get a trade route that gives way more than that.

• Locked thread