Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
What happens when you take a city-state with 1 pop? Is it destroyed?

Also, can opponents in multiplayer see my dickish custom unit names?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Peas and Rice posted:

What happens when you take a city-state with 1 pop? Is it destroyed?

Nah, they're indestructible since they're capital cities.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Gort posted:

Nah, they're indestructible since they're capital cities.

Excellent. I got a start in a GMR game that put me a few hexes away from a CS and I've got 4 musketmen.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
How do you actually do a ranged attack with the touch screen controls? I'm not able to get it to confirm and fire.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
in the spirit of the holiday, I started a Shoshone campaign wherein I will destroy all who oppose me

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Are there any giant earth maps that are <just> a map and aren't a scenario or don't allocate resources/starting locations based on historical tradition? I'm trying to use the community balance patch with a giant earth map but the common ones (e.g., play the world. yet not another earth maps pack) draw the map without the additional resources included with CBP.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Playing a team game online, having 3 Oxford University pops is stupidly gamebreaking, my allies aren't even very good and I still picked up ideology before 1500.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
hah, I wanted to avoid the YOU HAVE DECLARED WAR ON A CIVILIZATION YOU DECLARED FRIENDSHIP WITH PENALTY but I wanted to attack this Civ so as to cut off some unwise bribe deals that I'd previously made to get it to declare war on this other Civ
so I bribed it into declaring war on another Civ I was friends with that I had a defensive pact with, thereby canceling all present and previous bribe deals and bringing me to war with the Civ I wanted to be at war with

but I still got the penalty :downs: they shot first!

Also I don't know if it's because I run a super modded game or if it's an update tweak but my previous easy mode strategy of constantly declaring war on Civs in exchange for danegeld seems to no longer work. This does make the game slightly more interesting if not challenging, all the Civs I'm at war with lately seem to deny the old "X gold per turn" or luxury deals and mostly throw their cities at you. Now I have more fun taking shitloads cities from Civs and then chucking them at other civs to wreak havoc, inter-Civ animosity, and enough unhappiness for perpetual revolution loops. It's hard for an AI civ to turn down a free-ish city. Meanwhile you're redrawing borders in the weirdest ways, making litle enclaves of Civs inside of Civs around the world.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

hah, I wanted to avoid the YOU HAVE DECLARED WAR ON A CIVILIZATION YOU DECLARED FRIENDSHIP WITH PENALTY but I wanted to attack this Civ so as to cut off some unwise bribe deals that I'd previously made to get it to declare war on this other Civ
so I bribed it into declaring war on another Civ I was friends with that I had a defensive pact with, thereby canceling all present and previous bribe deals and bringing me to war with the Civ I wanted to be at war with

but I still got the penalty :downs: they shot first!

Also I don't know if it's because I run a super modded game or if it's an update tweak but my previous easy mode strategy of constantly declaring war on Civs in exchange for danegeld seems to no longer work. This does make the game slightly more interesting if not challenging, all the Civs I'm at war with lately seem to deny the old "X gold per turn" or luxury deals and mostly throw their cities at you. Now I have more fun taking shitloads cities from Civs and then chucking them at other civs to wreak havoc, inter-Civ animosity, and enough unhappiness for perpetual revolution loops. It's hard for an AI civ to turn down a free-ish city. Meanwhile you're redrawing borders in the weirdest ways, making litle enclaves of Civs inside of Civs around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_4bp8bBNVw

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So I'm planning on setting up a multiplayer game over Christmas. Any particular advice on how to translate from single player to competitive multiplayer (with the caveat that I'm probably the most experienced one)? Also, is playing on Quick a good idea so we can actually get things done or does that mess with the game too much?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

StashAugustine posted:

Also, is playing on Quick a good idea so we can actually get things done or does that mess with the game too much?

I'd say so, yes... but given how quickly armies might obsolete, I'd also recommend editing the XML to use a smaller map with the same number of players

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

StashAugustine posted:

So I'm planning on setting up a multiplayer game over Christmas. Any particular advice on how to translate from single player to competitive multiplayer (with the caveat that I'm probably the most experienced one)? Also, is playing on Quick a good idea so we can actually get things done or does that mess with the game too much?

If you want the games to actually be competitive and balanced for that purpose, rather than just a game you're playing with friends or whatever, you'll want to run NQMod and the Hellblazer map. The mod works as advertised, re-balancing the game and making more strategies viable in multiplayer, such that Tradition-Rationalism isn't automatically the best and may even be sub-optimal in some cases. It was designed out of competitive multiplayer matches, and relies on that data, and personally I've found its the best way to play "vanilla" Civ V without adding a bunch of stuff into the game.

As for MP itself, you want to use Quick Speed, yes. Even on that speed, you could be looking at 7 to 8 hour games if you don't break it into multiple sessions. Civ MP is a commitment on the part of the players, and you won't really have a game unless everyone else is in it for the long-haul. This is why No Quitters exists at all really - it's to make MP in Civ actually viable to play. In addition, it's best to play on Simultaneous turns, even with war. If you're taking sequential turns on war, that slows down the game massively, by an order of magnitude. Of course, this introduces the problem of first move and last move attack and movement, which is a poo poo-show given V's netcode, but it's still better than the alternative.

As well, keep in mind SP doesn't really prepare you very well for MP, and you can form a lot of bad habits from playing against the AI. The best way to learn MP is to play MP, essentially. it's worth pointing out also that Civ has massive skill gaps, a skilled player will crush a new player without effort in most cases. There really isn't a solution for this, and if you're better than the people you're playing with, you'll probably have trouble continuing to play with them long-term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Nothing against the NQMod, but I'd actually recommend not faffing around with mods to begin with, especially with inexperienced players. You'll have to do all the work getting it installed, and someone will inevitably assume something incorrectly (EG: That nukes are still enabled) and get irritated that it messed with their game plan.

Do play on quick though, you'll never get a game finished otherwise.

• Locked thread