Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

legendaryRev posted:

Just saw that you had restarted the Kicktarter in the nick of time, pitched in :10bux: . Glad to see that this finally got funded, Dropsy was the reason I finally bought an account on SA. Good luck, fellow Central Florida goonsir, looking forward to updates!

Hey, thanks! Are you still around here? If lakeland isn't too far away, there will be coloring and balloons at the thingy tomorrow!

Also, we'll be livestreaming here: http://twitch.tv/jaytholen

FB event: https://www.facebook.com/events/251538531669172/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Skeleton
May 1, 2005
UNAMAGA!
I'm really excited for this game, and I'm thrilled you got picked up by a publisher and met all your stretch goals. I figured I'd say this on the forum. You might know me as the guy who did some watercolor Dropsy fanart the other day.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Bumped my pledge for a coloring book. Go Dropsy, go!

Baron Von Baragon
Apr 7, 2012

Your fists of evil are about to meet my steel wall of niceness.
I dig the poo poo out of EVO records and I dig the poo poo out of Dropsy.

I'm going to try and force you to draw him on my water bottle when I get there, just a heads up.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Baron Von Baragon posted:

I dig the poo poo out of EVO records and I dig the poo poo out of Dropsy.

I'm going to try and force you to draw him on my water bottle when I get there, just a heads up.

Will do. Are you the dude who facebook messaged me?

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gaspy Conana posted:

Hey, thanks! Are you still around here? If lakeland isn't too far away, there will be coloring and balloons at the thingy tomorrow!

Also, we'll be livestreaming here: http://twitch.tv/jaytholen

FB event: https://www.facebook.com/events/251538531669172/

Sorry I can't make it, I'm stuck at work in Tampa. But go Dropsy, go!

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
$24,706! And that's before Paypal. Congrats Gaspy/Jay!

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Grats dude!!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Thank you guys so much! I'll reply more when I'm not trying to pack up my music equipment. :)

choobs posted:

$24,706! And that's before Paypal. Congrats Gaspy/Jay!

It's actually 24,291! The video wasn't updating!

Baron Von Baragon
Apr 7, 2012

Your fists of evil are about to meet my steel wall of niceness.

Gaspy Conana posted:

Will do. Are you the dude who facebook messaged me?

I was! And I forgot my water bottle.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Still haven't thought of a dreamworld set-piece and a character for the game. How soon do you need them?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 22, 2013

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

BiggerJ posted:

Still haven't thought of a dreamworld set-piece and a character for the game. How soon do you need them?

We'll be emailing everyone who backed at that level personally to work out the details. We probably won't implement it until February, so take your time.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
What did you end up calling that 'choose your own adventure'-type coloring book?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way someone can give you money now that the kickstarter is over?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Yes! I'll be putting a website up soon for slacker backers. Email me at dropsytheclown@gmail.com for now and we'll work it out.

BiggerJ posted:

What did you end up calling that 'choose your own adventure'-type coloring book?

We're still working on it! It's a little trek to atlantis. Not sure what it'll be called yet. Probably something like Dropsy: The Coloring Book.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Should I start preparing to email you about my dreamworld set-piece and character?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

BiggerJ posted:

Should I start preparing to email you about my dreamworld set-piece and character?

Yeah, definitely. dropsytheclown@gmail :)

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

Yeah, definitely. dropsytheclown@gmail :)

I have a question, which I'm putting in spoilers. I'll delete it once you've read it.

Auueugh uhhuhhurrgh.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 8, 2014

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

BiggerJ posted:

I have a question, which I'm putting in spoilers. I'll delete it once you've read it.

How bad are Dropsy's reading skills? The set-piece I'm currently thinking of is text hanging in the air like words in a children's picture book, saying something inconsequential like '"Auuuegh," thought Dropsy, "auu euhuhurgh."' but I don't know if it'd clash with Dropsy's possible lack of reading skills. The text could be scrambled-looking and made of mismatched letter parts (except perhaps for the word Dropsy), but that might make players think it's hiding some secret rather than being a reference to children's picture books and Dropsy's illiteracy. So if the first version of the idea clashes with Dropsy's reading skills or lack thereof, I'll come up with another set-piece.

There's no text in the game at all. Some signs/pamphlets have a fake language thing, but yeah, no text in the game whatsoever. Not even in the menus, only icons. :) But you're right, he can't read very well. :)

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Ah, I forgot. I'll keep thinking.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

BiggerJ posted:

Ah, I forgot. I'll keep thinking.

If you REALLY want that, we could shoehorn it in, but it would have to be a secret area or something as it would kind of be breaking the world's logic. :0)

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

If you REALLY want that, we could shoehorn it in, but it would have to be a secret area or something as it would kind of be breaking the world's logic. :0)

No, that's okay, I'll think of something else. Another idea below:

Heeeuuuaugh. Au au uuugh.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 16, 2014

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Oh, I think I added that newest idea in an edit, so I don't know if you've seen it/been notified of it. Sorry for the doublepost.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Should we continue this in email?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
New update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRZ3UJ_r75A

BiggerJ posted:

Should we continue this in email?

Yeah, definitely! dropsytheclown at gmail

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Looks good!

The inventory not opening instantly might get frustrating, though. Will there be an option for that?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Megazver posted:

Looks good!

The inventory not opening instantly might get frustrating, though. Will there be an option for that?

The option icon would have to be wordless. Perhaps Dropsy looking into his pants while a frustrated man taps his foot and checks his watch (an icon that gets a big red X put over it when toggled off).

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Megazver posted:

Looks good!

I was already thinking about making it a bit shorter, but you may be right. There isn't as much inventory usage in Dropsy as there is in other adventure games, so ultimately we're going to have to see how it feels once the game is playable.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Everything looks so great. The music you let us hear really stood out to me especially while on the map.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Wittgenstein posted:

Everything looks so great. The music you let us hear really stood out to me especially while on the map.

Thanks man. That was an early sketch of Chris's. We're calling that particular bit the 'route theme', and you'll hear it on in-between routes and in the worldmap. There are variations of it that play depending on where you are. For example: the desert one sounds spaghetti western-y, etc etc. Can't wait to hear his final recordings. He's going into the studio with a 6 piece ensemble on March 22 and 23 to record most of the music. :D

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Did you get my email about my waking-world character idea? I can come up with another idea if you want.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
New cutscene preview. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL3h91Tam6c

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
New update! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jaytholen/dropsy/posts/804130

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't able to do the kickstarter but I am able to pre-order. This looks like it'll be an amazing game.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Here's an update on the non-dreamworld music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHFZYd6_TnY

More on the speech system and stuff:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jaytholen/dropsy/posts/810451

RandomPauI posted:

I wasn't able to do the kickstarter but I am able to pre-order. This looks like it'll be an amazing game.

Thanks man. :D

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

That studio session video was really cool. The music is sounding great!!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

That dialogue system would be great at showing how Dropsy would have trouble interpreting some terms and phrases. He'd know what the individual words mean at best.

(Adjective: dripping blood) (Noun: fire and devil) (Punctuation: !) = Bloody hell!

(Adjective: face with halo over it) (Noun: turd) (Punctuation: !) = Holy crap!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerJ posted:

That dialogue system would be great at showing how Dropsy would have trouble interpreting some terms and phrases. He'd know what the individual words mean at best.

(Adjective: dripping blood) (Noun: fire and devil) (Punctuation: !) = Bloody hell!

A turd with a halo over it would be a pretty amazing way of expressing shock.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
More screenshots:

BiggerJ posted:

As fun as that would be, we're going to avoid colloquialisms/idioms. Interpreting the icons will be hard enough as it is, don't wanna throw any lanuage-specific phrases in the mix to make it even more difficult. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Posted this big update on a new tumblr dev blog I'm gonna be keeping. It's a lot more raw/open than the stuff I've been putting on Kickstarter:

http://dropsytheclown.tumblr.com/post/87138672630/dropsy-blog-1-i-think-i-might-actually-like-keeping

New not-quite-final revamp of a dreamworld area:

Also, new game I've been working on as a fun little side project. It involves goon pop-up ads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T67HmBbIPRs
Get it + the OST here: http://jay-tholen.itch.io/hypnospace-enforcer

• Locked thread