Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
The past couple of months of card baroning, praise be to Gaben for his many blessings, have left me armed with a fat wallet for the sale. Gaben is love. Steam is His mighty Church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
Either I didn't notice it before or Walking Dead just got cards too.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
What the hell, I'm an old misanthrope with no steamfriends so I might as well join the party:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/at3001/

As an entry fee, here's an Orcs Must Die 2 code that's sitting around gathering dust:

C9TV3-VV9TC-ELDZ2

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Hogo Fogo posted:

I saw it as 40% in there.

Yeah, it was definitely 40%. I would have voted for it otherwise; as is, it's in "wait for Winter sale" territory for me.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
Huge thanks to Serin for Surgeon Simulator 2013, and to iamguns for Dear Esther.

The Summer Sale goon-love is overwhelming :allears:

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
Big thanks to Herby Scott and yegods for both recognizing me as the only remaining gamer who both wants to play yet has never owned/played Half Life 2 and gifting accordingly. Sorry I had to decline one of them -- hope it still finds its way to a good goon's library.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
Woke up to find a gift copy of Amnesia from Lordy. Thanks very much!

I was going to say something else but I . . . forgot (rimshot)

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Pilkington posted:

Just bought YNAB and it's pretty cool. Everyone should get it so they can slowly watch their funds drain into Gaben's coffers.

It's actually the boldest thing Valve has ever put up on a sale. Basically just a taunt. Now you can track precisely how much money you are bleeding into your massive backlog of games and yet there's still NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO STOP US MWAHAHAHA

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
Any thoughts on NBA 2K13?

I'm not a huge NBA fan, but the My Career mode looks pretty fun.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
Thanks to Hippoman for the double gift of Go Home Dinosaurs AND a haiku!

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Zurreco posted:

How is everyone voting this time around? I figure:

-Anyone who wanted L4D2 would have bought it during the Xmas sale when it was $2.
-I would never vote for Riptide after Dead Island was such a let down.
-I have no opinion about Infestation.

So... Infestation?

I voted for Riptide because L4D2 seems like it is on sale more frequently than any other game on Steam, and because as tempting as it is to vote for Infestation/WarZ out of spite those devs really do not deserve having a single penny directed their way.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Golden Lumber posted:

Thinking of getting torchlight 2... But I can wait for it to become a daily right?

Sure, but it won't be any cheaper.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

err posted:

With the card crash, are you guys sitting on your cards until after the sale or selling immediately?

This is my uneducated but way too detailed theory --

1. Game cards won't rebound in the long-term because Summer card drops give a greater than ordinary incentive to craft badges (unless Steam adds some other bonus)

2. There will be a slight, temporary rebound in game and summer cards on the last day or two of the sale as people scramble to finish off the summer achievement

3. Summer cards will get a bit of an additional rebound a week or two after the sale as people try to belatedly complete summer badges from a now-finite supply of cards.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Dezinus posted:

I really can't believe renaming your game like that isn't against some Steam rule or something. Oh well, I'm glad the only good zombie game on that list won the vote, even though most people probably have L4D2 at this point.

Not to mention that it was actually removed from Steam for a good while. I really wish they would give it the permanent boot.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Jerusalem posted:

You can also buy a 3 pack of Trine 2 Complete for the price of 2! They're really pushing it, and it's definitely worth it.

I was gifted Trine 2 by a generous goon yesterday and the graphics are absolutely stunning; perhaps the prettiest 2d game I've ever seen.

I haven't had enough time to get very deep into it, but it seems like a really fun mix of platformer and puzzle game. The three classes have multiple, unique ways to approach an obstacle.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

year199X posted:

A big thanks to Detective Rex Hardbody for gifting me To The Moon! I can't wait to cry like a baby!

Hope you enjoy it! And a big thanks right back atcha for counter-gifting with Little Inferno!

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

N. Senada posted:

It's like a platformer version. I like it more than minecraft, but I only kinda like minecraft.

People compare it most frequently to Minecraft, but it's really a Metroidvania game with a dash of Minecraft thrown in.

The longer digs can be a little tedious but I think it's the best (non FTP) playtime:price ratio in my entire Steam library.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Stickman posted:

Time for some summer cleaning (and into your backlog)! Add me in Steam and let me know what you want: http://steamcommunity.com/id/stickasylum

NyxQuest
Darksiders
Nuclear Dawn
Zombie Shooter 1
Max and the Magic Marker
Rochard
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee + Exoddus
Hamilton's Great Adventure
Red Orchestra
Puzzle Agent
Beat Hazard Ultra (base + dlc, so only works if you don't already have the base game)
Nightsky Deluxe
Splice
Capsized
Hotline Miami
Intrusion 2
Anomaly - Warzone Earth

Avadon: The Black Fortress*
The Geneforge Saga (x2)*
The Second Avernum Trilogy*

*If you pick up one of these Spiderweb games and like it, the Complete Spiderweb Humble Weekly Bundle is still going for 2 more days. Throw some money at Jeff Vogel because he's awesome!

I added you on Steam -- I'd be interested in checking out Beat Hazard Ultra if you still have it.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

richardfun posted:

Who is this Brad Wardell, and why am I supposed to hate him? Not that I have anything against hating people, I just don't know why this fella deserves my eternal contempt.

He came out looking like a real slimeball after a former employee filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against him:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505495

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

TheStampede posted:

So someone mentioned using SAM earlier to grind cards, and it piqued my interest. I downloaded and installed it, but all I see are option regarding unlocking achievements (obviously). Am I missing something?

Just open up the achievement panel for the game you want cards for and leave it open until you get all your cards. You don't have to actually do anything other than leave the window open.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Technetium posted:

Is the original Assassin's Creed worth getting? I've never played an Assassin's Creed game because of the horrible save-game glitch/impossible to advance bug that was in the original 360 version and the chance of hitting that when it came out made me avoid it. I've always been curious and I'm assuming that's fixed but if I wanted to play AC should I start at the beginning? Does it still look/control well?

The first is the worst of the series. Brotherhood and AC2 are the ones potentially worth picking it up. I liked AC3 because I am a nerd for that period of history and doing a fetch quest for Ben Franklin pretty much fulfilled a gaming dream for me, but I got it free with a graphics card and I don't think it's worth the current price.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
You've done it, thread. I managed to stick to my preordained list and budget throughout the sale so far but I just went off-list for Sleepy Dogs.

Does it play better with a KB+M or gamepad?

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Faltese Malkin posted:

I know I'm late to the part but I picked up Sleepy Dogs thanks to the sale, and man you guys aren't kidding, the game is really, really good.

It's like someone took the Batman Arkham combat and gave it a mature rating, then put in a Grand Theft Auto style open world structure, and then set it in an awesome Hong Kong environment.

Unfortunately I now feel like I need to buy the DLC to get as much of this game as possible, especially since one is apparently a Kung-Fu tournament or something? Curse you Steam sale :negative:

I know it's probably been covered 100 pages ago, but I would also appreciate it if anybody could give a quick run down of the story DLC and whether it's worth getting.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Ragingsheep posted:

So is AC3 worth the $24 (or $39 for the deluxe edition?

No, and I say this as somebody who I think enjoyed it more than most people.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wow, it is. Act now and buy the game EVERYONE was talking about!

I already have Gods And Kings and Brave New World, are any other Civ V DLC worth getting? I'm more interested in the other civilizations than the scenarios.

All the DLC civs are pretty good, but it looks like just upgrading to Civ V Gold is cheaper than buying the 5 civ packs separately (and you get all the other map packs and whatnot too).

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

dirty nub posted:

You guys are right. I feel dirty going to gamestop for a quick fix of steambucks. I think I need help.

It's the gamer equivalent of shooting up in a dirty bathroom.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Faltese Malkin posted:

I'm actually holding out a small, sliver of hope that Lego Batman 2 will get a flash sale.

It was on a pretty deep discount on Amazon a week or so ago, so I don't think it's out of the question.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Nthman posted:

I feel like this round is "Vote for the best mediocre game".

Give us some good choices Valve!

It's not even really vote for the best mediocre game. It's vote for the best overpriced DLC for a FTP game.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

miscellaneous14 posted:

It's a pure platformer, but Super Meat Boy is a wonderful game and totally worth the price. I suspect it'll be featured as a deal at least once more during this sale.

Seconding this recommendation for if (when?) it goes back on sale. I had almost no interest in it for a long time but it's turned out to be probably my favorite from this sale so far. Just a pitch-perfect homage to the balls hard platformers of the 8-bit era. But the controls are smooth and the difficulty rarely seems unfair. Also, the way the levels are designed as bite-sized content highly increases the "one more turn" value.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Wildtortilla posted:

I think I've finally reached an adult perspective on Steam sales. I've only bought what I'll have time to play between now and the next sale, and I am slowly accumulating a small amount of wealth from card sales. Now I think I'm content to sit back, play what I have, earn some free money from cards, and hopefully be able to get through the winter sale on card money only.

Now I must prepare myself mentally in case something goes on sale that I think I need...

Maybe we should start a new Steam thread to act as a support group for those of us who need to get through a tempting deal without making a purchase.

Here's how it usually goes for me:

On the first few days I am excited but pretty disciplined and only buy the cheapest stuff from my wishlist.

About 2/3 of the way through I get bored with the repeats and wind up buying one or two good looking games I might not have considered.

On the last day I panic and go into a buying frenzy. Last day is generally where I waste the most money.

After the sale, within a week or two I buy something I otherwise wouldn't have bought on a weekend deal or something because I need to wean myself off the Steam sale endorphin rush.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
Best flash sale yet for me. Binding of Isaac was the last on my must-have list and Sang Froid was very high on the "probably give this a flyer if it gets discounted enough" list.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
The title of this thread should really be changed temporarily to "INFESTATION IS WAR Z REBRANDED: DO NOT BUY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE"

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

strategery posted:

Risen 1 is certainly okay. Like 7.5 okay. A little rough around the edges, but interesting enough to play. It isnt the best optimized game, but your pc should run it fine.

Just FYI for everybody, it looks like the original Risen is at 75% off too ($2.50)

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
For anybody who thought they were screwed out of purchase-generated Summer cards, I just got one that resulted from a purchase 3 hours ago. Just looks like it's lagging behind.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Accordion Man posted:

Whoever linked that Binding of Isaac mod, thank you so much. I loved the gameplay but hated all the stuff the DLC added and I bought it without looking into first. Now to spend hours upon hours in vanilla...

Ditto, I wasn't even going to buy the DLC yet based on what I'd heard.

Although come to think about it, god drat you for making me spend more money.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Honey Badger posted:

Also, how is Magicka? The screenshots make it look like a less depressing Diablo-esque thing, which would be right up my alley.

If you don't have it yet and want a less depressing Diablo-esque thing, Torchlight 2 is what you want.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Poor Train Simulator 2013, you have been overshadowed.

Too bad there aren't like a billion different trucks to buy as DLC.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Harmonica posted:

CS:GO was listed at $14.99/£11.99 for 66% off, now it's 75% off at a higher price. That's not what people voted for, Valve.

edit: now it's back to 66% off, but the reduction is incorrect.

They seem to be having really bizarre problems getting the CSGO pricing correct.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
I sort of feel like the thread title should be changed to "Steam Sale 2013: The Euro Truck Sim 2013 of Video Game Deals."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

brightweasel posted:

So...Sang-Froid is quite frankly fantastic. The music, the aesthetic, the strategy; it all comes together in a magnificent way. Thank you so much everyone who hyped it up in the the thread, it might be my favorite purchase so far this sale.

As soon as I heard the music that plays on the loading screen, I knew I was in for a treat!

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I'm really pleased about a game that flew under the radar that much getting some feature time. It's definitely my surprise pickup of the sale so far; I had no idea it existed at all until people in this thread mentioned it a few days before it went on sale.

Hopefully it will come back as a daily for people who missed out.

morcant posted:

Maybe...maybe he just leaves it running? That's most of my near-200 hours on Bloodlines, forgetting I have a game running, then going away for a weekend or whatever...

I have like 2300 hours on my main account in Dota and over 2000+ of that is definitely just from leaving the game on 24 hours with live tournaments auto-playing for a chance at hats and poo poo.