Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I usually only keep demons around of they have skill I want whispered.

Also Fang Breaker stays useful for about 2/3 of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
Just got to Medusa and she is working my rear end harder than squats. I feel under leveled even though I've done what I feel is a fair amount of grinding for a SMT game thus far. I'm level 14, my chosen party atm is Tam Lin, Oni, and a level 13 Gremlin who I'm trying to get to evolve. One problem is that it feels like battles don't give enough EXP to really grind effectively. I'm trying to level that Gremlin up and get the rest of my demons to learn all their skills but it feels like it will take forever especially since I keep having to make trips to the surface to rest.

Also if this thread is dead and I'm the only one bumping it my apologies and I'll stop. I'm late to the game and its one where I just gotta talk about it and vent while I play as I'd imagine you all can relate to.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Macaroni Surprise posted:

So I'm getting close to the end, and I really loved this game. Is there anything in the same vein that I can play on the 3ds?

There's always Soul Hackers or the Devil Survivor rerelease :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Just got to Medusa and she is working my rear end harder than squats. I feel under leveled even though I've done what I feel is a fair amount of grinding for a SMT game thus far. I'm level 14, my chosen party atm is Tam Lin, Oni, and a level 13 Gremlin who I'm trying to get to evolve. One problem is that it feels like battles don't give enough EXP to really grind effectively. I'm trying to level that Gremlin up and get the rest of my demons to learn all their skills but it feels like it will take forever especially since I keep having to make trips to the surface to rest.

Also if this thread is dead and I'm the only one bumping it my apologies and I'll stop. I'm late to the game and its one where I just gotta talk about it and vent while I play as I'd imagine you all can relate to.

Levelling up a Gremlin is definitely the right idea for that boss. That same boss gave me trouble, did the same thing to get past it. I just grinded right around the area where the boss is. It wasn't particularly fast, but it didn't take that long, either. Once the Gremlin evolves, you should be able to kick the boss' rear end. Good luck!

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
Cool I figured that Raiju would be nice to have for its resistenses during that fight. Also I just fused a Pot O' Snakes demon that has Zanma so I'm sure that'll help, too.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I just brutally owned Medusa thanks to Raiju and a pot full of snakes. It wasn't even a fair fight. Now I'm wondering around Neo Tokyo and its starting to really feel like a SMT game. Loving this game so far and the soundtrack down here loving rules.

Phil Tenderpuss fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 29, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, once you get past Medusa you start getting to the real meat of the game.

And Raiju can basically solo Medusa, it's pretty great.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Well this is certainly a thing I found. I shouldn't be surprised with how much detail Atlus put into the negotiation system, but alas.

Spoilers for early-mid game boss.

http://i.imgur.com/NVa6ovx.jpg

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Being able to use my compendium when searching demon fusion is going to make me poor through the entire game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

for me the money grinding dlc was worth it for that reason. half the fun is loving around in the compendium and poo poo's expensive even with that app maxed. grinding money sucks in this game

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I picked this up today and found out I am pretty terrible at this game. Should I just keep saving before every single fight? I die like 50 percent of the time and I am only on the second tutorial mission. Any early suggestions for not immediately dying in battle?

Also, I promise it's not like I am not used to old school rpgs. I cut my teeth on Dragon Warrior for the NES and other traditional RPGs. Something just isn't clicking when it takes me 2 hours to try to recruit three demons. Also is there a faster way to load the game after dying than wait through the whole River Styx scene over and over?

Edit- I went back and re-read the OP. I missed the part about not trying to fight anything without a full party. Can I still talk if there is more than one demon in a fight?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

You can talk whenever you want.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Yeah, it's not like Pokemon where you have to rough 'em up first or Dragon Quest Monsters where only the last enemy has any chance of being recruited. It would make the game waaay more annoying if it were. See a demon you want in your party? Talk to that fucker. Didn't work and just pissed them off? Talk again.

Also, keep in mind weaknesses and resistances matter a lot. They're not just polite suggestions- figuring them out is how you survive. That's why you always want a full party and to be recruiting as many demons as possible- the protagonist alone just flat out can't know enough skills to account for the weaknesses of everything you fight or to cover his own weaknesses.

Awesome! posted:

for me the money grinding dlc was worth it for that reason. half the fun is loving around in the compendium and poo poo's expensive even with that app maxed. grinding money sucks in this game

Am I right in suspecting that this DLC is the key to making New Game+ runs go nice and quick? I only just started a New Game+ and it feels a little lame being locked out of so much of my kickass Compendium by lack of money.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
E:// Wrong Megami Tensei thread, I'm an idiot.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 19, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hekk posted:

I picked this up today and found out I am pretty terrible at this game. Should I just keep saving before every single fight? I die like 50 percent of the time and I am only on the second tutorial mission. Any early suggestions for not immediately dying in battle?

Also, I promise it's not like I am not used to old school rpgs. I cut my teeth on Dragon Warrior for the NES and other traditional RPGs. Something just isn't clicking when it takes me 2 hours to try to recruit three demons. Also is there a faster way to load the game after dying than wait through the whole River Styx scene over and over?

Edit- I went back and re-read the OP. I missed the part about not trying to fight anything without a full party. Can I still talk if there is more than one demon in a fight?

What you're experiencing is totally normal. The early game is an absolute bitch. Save, save, save, and make getting a full party your top priorty. I would especially look out for a Pixie. They have a healing spell, which is a godsend here, and all the way to the end of the game! When she learns all her skills, you'll have the option of picking the healing spell up for yourself, even!

Later you'll also get tools to get more demons without recruiting them in battle and it's highly recommended you take advantage of these. In the meantime, demons are capricious assholes and the key to recruiting them is sheer persistence. There's a rough guide for negotiations in the OP. Follow it and you should have a slightly easier time. They're still assholes, though, and they will take all your money and then call you a loser and run away. :cry:

Oh, and if the DLC goes on sale again, pick up the gold grinding and EXP grinding missions. They don't break the game too much, just give you the tools you need to get the demons you want.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Goddamned Fiends! I've spent over 3 hours trying to get Matador to spawn but no luck. Anyone have any tips? I was lucky and got Chemtrail in less than 30 minutes, but I just can't get Matador spawn.

Are the Fiend battles time sensitive? I'm on neutral route and I already beat both Law and Chaos bosses. It's also my first playthrough.

Cubivore_ fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 27, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There're no real tips. I think you have to do a map transition if they don't spawn, so just save just outside the area they'll be and hope for the best. Three hours is nothing when it comes to Fiends. The best advice is to not bother.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

That's what I've been doing. I'm going to try a bit longer then I'm just going to give up.

edit: gently caress that, I give up.

Cubivore_ fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 27, 2014

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The fastest way to get Fiends to show up is to stand exactly on the spawn spot, enter one of the grinding DLC quests, save your game inside the DLC area, cancel out of the quest, and reload your save and try again until the Fiend appears. On average, you'll meet roughly one Fiend every hour that way.

It's still not worth it, though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mercurochrome posted:

That's what I've been doing. I'm going to try a bit longer then I'm just going to give up.

edit: gently caress that, I give up.

I tried to get Matador to spawn over like, 4 days while watching TV. At that point I realized how pointless this was and just gave up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finally hit the perfect sweet spot and got the neutral path for SMT IV.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Thuryl posted:

The fastest way to get Fiends to show up is to stand exactly on the spawn spot, enter one of the grinding DLC quests, save your game inside the DLC area, cancel out of the quest, and reload your save and try again until the Fiend appears. On average, you'll meet roughly one Fiend every hour that way.

It's still not worth it, though.

Decided to try this and it works really well. I got most in about an hour or two. Red Rider took me the longest because I'm an idiot and was checking the wrong room for like 2 days. I just need Trumpeter and I'll be done.

I want to complete the compendium, so I have to do this.

Cubivore_ fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 31, 2014

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I think I just used up any and all random gamer luck I'll have for a while. I was checking the Ginza shops after unlocking the main Neutral quest goal, and without even realizing that was the spot, stumbled right into the White Rider fight. Even better, I had a set of demons that actually worked to win the fight after a few tries (Demonee-Ho to take physical hits like a champ and do damage with a charged Great Tack, Aniel to spam Dekaja and heal, and Oberon/Lilith to drain Thunder Reign and end turns early).

So now that I have earned what I have to assume is the best accessory in the game, what do people like to use for body armor? The Nibelungen is appealing for the physical repel and dark nullification but I don't know if the gun weakness is a liability. The Genke Rindo also seems like an option to leave me weakness-free but that leaves me taking full physical damage.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Finally beat all the hidden fiends yesterday. Now I'm working on getting the fusion accident demons. Once I'm done with these I'll probably take a break before I get started on the Law/Chaos/NG+ route exclusive demons.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Tortolia posted:

So now that I have earned what I have to assume is the best accessory in the game, what do people like to use for body armor? The Nibelungen is appealing for the physical repel and dark nullification but I don't know if the gun weakness is a liability. The Genke Rindo also seems like an option to leave me weakness-free but that leaves me taking full physical damage.

Been a while since I played last, but I'm pretty sure another of the fiends' accessories (I wanna say Matador's) nulls or repels gun in addition to a passive sukukaja effect. That with Nibelungen was the bulk of my endgame load-out.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So, I heard they're finally releasing this game in EU but in download-only format.

Better than nothing I guess and the price ain't bad, but what exactly were Atlus doing all this time? I'm genuinely curious.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It was something to do with who had publishing rights for the series in Europe (ie, not Atlus). Considering they were taken over by Sega recently I imagine that's part of what prompted them to do that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah Atlus always has had to use a 3rd party publisher in EU, and the Atlus mother company went bankrupt and got into lawsuits right around the time they should have been negotiating an EU release.

Sega is straight up publishing some Atlus games in Europe now so it shouldn't be as bad as it has been in the past, it was just an exceptionally bad timing issue compounded by the fact that the 3DS isn't region-free.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Sega does also publish some Tecmo-Koei titles too, but I'm surprised it took this long because they're usually pretty quick about it. I do expect smooth sailing from here, though. Sega has a decent track record with publishing for other regions.

Also, it would've helped if Nintendo consoles were region free so that I would actually care about owning one

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Having just completed the game I have decided to go fiend hunting. So does anybody have any hints on activating them or is it all luck?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If you have any of the grinding DLC, the best way is to go to one of the Fiend spawn points, save, and start going in and out of the DLC. It will probably take you awhile and it's still entirely luck based. You could only need half a dozen trips, you could need three dozen trips. It's going to be grindy, regardless.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Yeah, the DLC method is the best way to do it, but it's still going to take quite a bit of time. Trumpeter took me the longest to find at about 2 1/2 days. Red Rider was the same but only because I'm an idiot and was checking the wrong room for 2 days :smith:

If you die just pay Charon and he'll spawn you in front of the fiend. I don't know if it will still be there if the leave the area, though - I never tried it. Anyway, just be sure to save once you're revived.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
A bit late but if you go fiend hunting, a couple tips:

-Fiends are totally invisible and you have to be standing on exactly the right spot when you go into the DLC for them to immediately spawn when you come out
-If anyone in your party nulls a Fiend's primary element (Chemtrail uses Gun, Matador uses Phys, the Riders use magic, and Trumpeter uses Light and Dark) they will shove Antichthons up your rear end until you're dead
-for gently caress's sake don't ever say no when Burroughs tells you "get the gently caress out there's a secret boss approaching" and go to prepare your party, like I just did. The Fiend will be effectively gone forever

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Captain Walker posted:

-If anyone in your party nulls a Fiend's primary element (Chemtrail uses Gun, Matador uses Phys, the Riders use magic, and Trumpeter uses Light and Dark) they will shove Antichthons up your rear end until you're dead

Does this apply to use of Tetrakarn/Makarakarn/Tetraja as well, or do they just detect when someone has the appropriate Null skill?

Also that invisibility business sounds like some horseshit, on top of the ungodly low spawn rate. I'm not sure I'll bother.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

minimalist posted:

Does this apply to use of Tetrakarn/Makarakarn/Tetraja as well, or do they just detect when someone has the appropriate Null skill?
They'll always know if you null, drain or repel their primary element. Sometimes you can get away with one demon who resists or nulls, but more than that usually means party wipe. Don't know about -karn but I imagine Tetraja would only matter for Trumpeter. Of course this is all through scavenged internet info and not personal experience :mad:

quote:

Also that invisibility business sounds like some horseshit, on top of the ungodly low spawn rate. I'm not sure I'll bother.

By invisible I just mean out of combat. It gets better: Red Rider is in a room that requires 100 Luck to enter, and you have to be on the Neutral route to even get the key. Trumpeter is in a location that you can't reach if you're Chaos. If you're neutral fight those two jackasses first and get it over with, so you never have to worry about alignment again.

The good news is Red Rider drops incenses that add up to a 30 point boost to every stat, it's quite nice. It's possible to fight him multiple times too, I guess he doesn't des pawn when you beat him.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Thanks.

Another question for anyone who knows the answer: what door(s) is/are opened by the key card that I got as a reward for the Tokyo Cosmos(four devas) quest on Neutral route? Or will I run across it eventually as I progress?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's the one in Kasumigaseki. From the terminal go to ground level and run across the street. That's the one with Red Rider and the plasma weapons.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
After several failed attempts I've gotten past the initial difficulty curve in this game and now I'm really getting the hang of it. What is the best level to jump into the DLC with? I picked all of it up when it was on a sale a while ago.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Medium Cool posted:

After several failed attempts I've gotten past the initial difficulty curve in this game and now I'm really getting the hang of it. What is the best level to jump into the DLC with? I picked all of it up when it was on a sale a while ago.

All the boss DLCs are intended for endgame/postgame, as far as I know. In fact I'm pretty sure they tell you in either the DLC notes or the quest descriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Medium Cool posted:

The grinding DLCs are easy to survive in once you've gotten to the world map, though reaping the rewards inherent might be a bit difficult at that point.

The Clipped Wings DLC are intended to be tackled near to end game. Clipped Wings 1 you might be able to manage a bit earlier than that, but definitely not Clipped Wings 2.

The three superbosses are NG+ material.

• Locked thread