Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

JosephWongKS posted:

ONE's artwork has slowly but steadily improved from Chapter 32 (the first translated chapter) to the latest Chapter 77 and 78. How much longer before he's as good at drawing as Murata?

The more pertinent question is how good will Murata be at drawing by the time One gets as good as Murata currently is? He'll probably be the new Da Vinci by that time, with a punch that follows you around the room, out the door and in to the bathroom so it can blow the poo poo right of you in a polite and proper place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

It's somewhat depressing to realize we're only 5 chapters behind ONE now, and will probably be caught up within a few days. Having several new chapters come out every day or so for the last few days has been really sweet and I'm not looking forward to that ending. Still, kind of curious how many of the heroes are passed out, dead or otherwise unable to tell just how easily Saitama killed Natural Evil Water and how badly he's presumably going to gently caress up Garou. I'm kind of presuming that once this arc is over he'll be at least A-Class, if not S-Class, and that the "nobody knows who Saitama is" theme of the manga will be downplayed - at least within the hero circles, even if the general populace still aren't too familiar with him.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 6, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gothmog1065 posted:

Well, we've seen what the last serious punch can do. At least Saitama is happy.

I don't know what's better - the idea of Murata animating the gif panel or Saitama's smile and happy thoughts during the entire thing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I don't know that it's going to be a real fight, as he said he can't measure Garou's strength since he's been going easy and his serious series just seems to be him not slacking off and doing the absolute minimum, rather than him being super serious and being really pushed. Checking chapter again: best part of 89 is Saitama getting pissed that Garou keeps tripping loser flags.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

If Guard Dog Man isn't Saitama's greatest ally, I'm mad.

Then be mad, since that'll be Genos unless there's some kind of major upset. Even the argument that he's his disciple not his ally doesn't really hold water since Genos believes in Saitama's strength and essentially good nature more than anyone and that's unlikely to change. He's also very strong in his own right and can upgrade himself freely to become stronger. Best Watchdog-Man can ever be is his second best ally and possibly his best friend (which is more appropriate given his dog...costume?) given that Genos is so subservient to Saitama. That's unlikely too though, given the existence of King.

I'm probably taking an off-hand joke comment way too seriously on the other hand.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

As do Superman, Goku and most other heroes you could hold up as exemplary.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

If Saitama won't kill Garou over this I doubt he'd kill the heroes to stop them killing Garou. If Bang's saving their anything by intervening, it's their pride.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

If they recognized his true power they'd know there was no point in hunting him down in the first place.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I may be alone, but I found Mob Psycho quite boring and gave up after a couple of chapters. Then again, I also don't find One Punch Man to be all that funny and enjoy it not for the humor most of the time, but because it has a good story, interesting characters etc. I never really connected to anything in Mob. If he found One Punch Man hilarious he'll probably enjoy Mob though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Fresh Prince posted:

know whats funny? its almost like mob psycho has both of these things as well...

I read the first 5 or 10 chapters and didn't see either. Just a conman running a rather dull kid around the place constantly. Things may pick up later in the story, but I didn't find the opening enjoyable enough to invest in more of it where I pretty much loved One Punch Man from the outset despite not finding it nearly as funny as most people seem to. You like the manga, and that's nice and all, but I didn't really care for anything in it personally and was just offering my opinion so that Shaolin Fuckfiend, Parrotine or whoever has some variety of opinion on it to consider.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rodyle posted:

Can we please just get to the part where Saitama punches her

I think you're reading the wrong manga if you're expecting him to punch her at all.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cthulhuchan posted:

He doesn't have eyebrows, either. Pretty sure ALL his hair fell out.

Bald people do actually have the same number of hair follicles as anyone else, the hair coming from them is just really loving tiny and fine. If you run your finger gently across your forehead or around your lower eyes you can even still feel the hair follicles still there despite the fact those areas of a face appear bald in humans.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy A. Person posted:

Chapter 67: http://bato.to/reader#910351530c4b8345

hasn't been redrawn yet, but yeah it is a pretty cool parallel to what Saitama is going through. The funny part being that he is so ridiculously above even the S-Classes that basically everyone refuses to believe it.

The anime episode where Saitama and Genos join the hero association kind of ruined that a bit from my understanding, since they gave him a really low C class rank because he did so badly on the written test while acknowledging that he annihilated all the physical tests to an unprecedented degree with them noting that he'll be one to watch in future. I haven't read the manga in a while but I was sure there was something there about how the association flat out didn't believe the scores Saitama achieved in the physical tests and assumed there had to be some cheating or mistakes going on so they gave him just about the lowest rank possible. If they knew what his strength was there's really no reason he shouldn't be an S class, even with Sweet Mask's concerns.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Id like it if the reason never was told.

We've already been given a reasonable explanation why he's so strong, at least from an in universe perspective. He trained obsessively for...was it 2 years, and he became what he was obsessed with: a hero. He's a hero monster because he was obsessed with becoming a hero and pursued it so diligently. This is a universe where people can transform in to crabs if they're obsessed with them, so it makes perfect sense. The difference between Saitama and Crablante is that Saitama never let his obsession control or define him, so when he noticed his obsession had changed him, he backed off and just made it a hobby instead. Even then he was losing his humanity until Genos came along and he started actually connecting with people despite himself.

I know people keep saying that they hope the real reason is never told and they wanted the "100 situps, 100..." joke to always be the explanation but as far as I'm concerned it has already been detailed, the explanation is fine and is just as good a joke as Saitama's internal explanation for it while also simultaneously being a rather neat explanation thematically. I could not ask for more from the manga, because that explanation is basically perfect.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stairmaster posted:

What does being bald have to do with heroism though?

He thought being bald was a sign someone was a monster/ugly/bad so it subconsciously became true of him at a guess.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Saitama worked out every day for at least 2 years, no matter the weather, no matter how much it hurt and never let anything stop him. I don't know how you can't think that that's obsession. There's definitely will power involved too, but it's not like it has to be mutually exclusive. He was definitely obsessed with becoming a hero and working out was what he thought would get him there.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Where are you pulling a god of obsession from? Saitama was obsessed with something. You don't work out that hard, that often for that long despite the fact that you're body is, in his own words "in agony and on the verge of breaking" (I think I have that right at least) without being obsessed with something. Whether it was with being strong or being a hero, there was some element of obsession there. And the rules of his universe mean that if you're obsessed with something it changes you to reflect that obsession. There's no god needed, it just happens if you're obsessed enough with something. Which he was and did, becoming bald, for whatever reason. He doesn't need to formulate a plan beyond "do so many situps/pushups/pullups and run so much" for that to be true.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

That's like the one case we know of where that God has given powers though. There's no real reason to assume it's visiting every other character changed by their nature to become something more than human. Garou didn't mention him that I recall off-hand for instance. Nor has Garou lost his powers so far as I know despite losing. Saitama's workout sounds far more like obsession than dedication to me. Dedication appears to just be putting a positive spin on a negative thing, given that there's really no way that what he did was healthy for any normal person. It worked out for him, but it wouldn't work out for most people. The only reason it did appear to work for him was because he just ignored the downsides and kept doing it anyways. Which sounds decidedly obsessive to me.

That fact that afterwards his life took rather of a downward turn on a personal level and that he began to become emotionally numb and distant from humanity would also suggest it wasn't really a good thing on the whole, at least in theory. It's working out, but it's mostly because of Genos, King and the others forcing their way in to Saitama's life and helping balance him than because of anything Saitama himself did.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Serious Frolicking posted:

You are giving the hero association way too much credit. I bet Blast is just the butt chin kid who was given the position via nepotism.

I've never got the impression that the guy who started the hero association was a bad person or even manager in any way, just that he's lost in a sea of red tape and concerned with other stuff (like the seer and stopping bad guys) enough that he either doesn't see or doesn't care about the pettiness and stupidity of much of the organisation, so I can't really see him doing anything like that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dogsicle posted:

i know S Class is a breeding ground for some lovely people, but the recent Tatsumaki stuff was unexpected and i dunno if giving her a redemption arc is what i want, or if i'd rather just deal with her being terrible.

I dunno, S-Class seems better than any of the other classes to me. Metal Knight is the only one that's really bad. Tatsumaki and Pri-Pri-Prisoner have some personality issues, but they're still good heroes at the end of the day and S-Class as a whole appears to have less issues than any of the other classes as far as lovely people goes. The fact that they don't have to be concerned with public image, quotas and so on probably helps since those things promote the idea of pursuing it for more ignoble reasons.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dogsicle posted:

my reaction was more surprise that Tatsumaki was such a cruel sister, and how her being a terrible person felt so much worse than characters like Darkshine/Bofoi/Sweet Mask being twisted heroes.

I think the important thing there is that Tatsumaki seems to genuinely believe she's being a good sister and doing the right thing by Fubuki, she's just operating from a very bad place and thus her actions come off as horrific. Once Saitama is done befriending her despite himself and she joins his circle of friends things will presumably become better for her. Which is good, because Tatsumaki accepting Fubuki will presumably be what allows Fubuki to accept that despite the Blizzard group having started for lovely reasons and not being all that strong relatively speaking, they're still a pretty cool thing and good for her as a person and each other as heroes. They don't have to be super strong to like hanging with each other and heroing together.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Like I dunno, pretty much all the heroes no matter how weak they are have egos the size of planets but I don't think that makes them unheroic. Like say all those heroes who try to fight the sea king and his goons, they all brag about how they'll improve their rank and that this is a piece of cake but they're still protecting people. And I vaguely remember Stinger at least only going all out once all the civillians cleared out so he wouldn't hurt them. So I think most heroes do want to help people even if they're all kinda selfish.

Yea, I can't say as I think Superalloy Darkshine (or whatever his official English name is) is unheroic simply because he was doing it for self-gratification, because every character in the show gets in to heroism for selfish reasons, even Saitama. It's about how they conduct themselves while they're heroes and whether they're willing to change and become better people over time that counts, not whether they get in to it for completely noble reasons. And in that context, there's nothing bad about Superalloy Darkshine.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Is this the first time we've gotten a name for one of the members of the Fubuki group within One's version?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RareAcumen posted:

Eyelashes and Mountain Ape didn't come from ONE?

I didn't realize Mountain Ape had been named prior to this point. Or that there was a guy called Eyelashes for that matter. I stand corrected.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

He's obviously just trying to consider how he should proceed from here, since force isn't an option and trying to get her to defer the fight didn't work. He might be all powerful, but he isn't all knowing. Coming up with a new method is going to take him a few minutes of thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mystic Mongol posted:

She doesn't have a plan. She has a massive superiority complex.

She doesn't need a plan. She's normally so strong that she could woman-handle the lot of them with ease and not even kill them because she has enough self-control of her powers to know how much to use or not use by the looks of things.