Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

I'm so glad I decided to take the deep dive, because the first few chapters had been kinda overhyped as poorly drawn stick figures, but holy drat the later chapters are downright insane in how well-drawn they are, from a posing perspective. You actually feel the punches and the action is simple yet follows very clear lines, unlike some mangas where it can get a little skippy. Very similar to Dragonball in a good way. And the premise and plot points all have me on the edge of my seat. loving King man, such a goddamn hero. I cried laughing out loud during the monster fight where King shone his brightest. He could have been just a two-bit joke, but the author goes all out and makes him heroic in just how he stands around pissing his pants. This is a glory of action-comedy.

With this, my only sadness is that I am going to have to be very careful what I post in every thread on this subject. I just don't see this stopping just because we've seen the Garou arc through, there's still a lot of hanging threads and a lot of potential one-punching to be done. The Hero association might even just be the beginning, not the end of it all. Saitama for all his short-comings embraces the truth of what it means to be a hero even if he slips and slides a little bit. His original motivation for joining the hero association wasn't purely motivated by a desire to be famous, but for people to have someone they could recognize and rely on to save the day for them and I think he might not have truly come to terms with this if not for the tank top brothers attempting to bully him way back. He wasn't sure by then either, but by the time he thought Garou he had formed a clear picture of what he thinks it means to be a hero, which is a struggle he recognized in Garou.

This whole study of what it means to be strong, what it means to be a hero was the premise that got me to read One Punch Man to begin with. I didn't quite expect it to go like it did, but I am really impressed with it.

With regards to the latest changes between the ONE manga and Murata's revision, Saitama punching Garou because he thought he was a robber is marking the similar structure point when Saitama punches Garou for dine-and-dashing? Or are we just going to see it happen again later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well the same thing happened with Saitama.
One day he just woke up bald and bam he was a god.

In Murata's version, they show him getting godlike even while he still had hair (after he gets rid of a bad toothache).

Maybe not quite one punch level strength, but still.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

I thought it was a cute nod as the Murata manga readers and anime watchers wouldn't be privy to their lives otherwise until many many years yet to go.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Honestly, I just expect him to punch out of it like he did with Ground Dragon.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Brightman posted:

Finally decided to catch up with this version over the weekend. At least I think I'm caught up, if the last thing that happened was Sonic slipped on dog poo poo, then I'm all caught up.

Here's what you're missing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

There are tons of villains in this manga.

There are no villains. There are just people trying to do the right thing and people Saitama has or will smash into a billion pieces.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Actually Sonic just wants to show off his moves. That is what Saitama saw in him.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The fact she reverts to ONE style drawing in Murata's does make her come across more funny than she does in ONE's because there's never any levity from her appearance in that.

Well...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

I wonder why One bothered to upload that if he was going to leave off in the middle of a conversation.

I just looked at it now and it shows her flying off?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Wait, so are Atomic Samurai and Flash whatshisface thinking of the same thing here?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

It would be a little sad if Genos treads the same ground time and time again. I mean, he *just* did this in the Murata version.

I expect more from ONE.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Genos is a jobber who exists to set the bar for the next threat. There's nothing else to expect from him.

That is very rude to Saitamas toilet brusher/dish dryer.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Genos is a big boy now.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

I'll bust a rib from laughter if it turns out to be Amai Mask.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

I was actually disappointed when they new pages showed the restaurant diner was King. This is what you unfunny fucks have done, are you proud?

You really hate the character trope of strong guy is actually weak, we get it.

We still think it is funny when done right.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

This is the arc where Saitama reaches S-class isn't it? I can't imagine him making progress butting in on the fight.

Also it'd be really boring revisiting a thing that Murata just did in his version, I hope One gets more creative than that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

ONE, why are you reading my posts?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

He is right about one thing and that is that the west is going to turn into a poo poo-hole before it gets any better for us here now.

Are there actually any safe zones left for trans-people?

Also should we tweet at ONE about that character or is it a waste of time?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Tweeting it to ONE isn't likely to achieve anything unless you can put out a well reasoned tweet (oxymoron) in real Japanese at a time when he's likely to see it but is experiencing low traffic in his feed.

Google translate isn't something to rely on to get a point across.

Yeah, I figured. Worth asking though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

why do you need an answer better than "because"

Like, literally the title of the show is "that guy who needs no more than a single punch to beat any enemy".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

She was kinda upset with King when he didn't fight the big spaceship.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

It'll be fine from now on, but ONE really needs to get going, cause there's barely an arc after this one.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

whats that av from

Prince of Persia 2007.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Just when I thought "one punch man sure is kinda boring compared to Mob" One comes back with everything he learned from Mob and punches me in the gut.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

The anime for S2 isn't that bad. It's not MadHouse, but it isn't bad.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

gently caress off!!

Nope.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

If you guys feel like maybe things aren't like you remembered, maybe go back and remind yourselves how this poo poo plays out?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

It is content that just allows Murata to cut loose, so it is honestly good in my book.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

The anime is probably the best way to enjoy Mob Psycho 100, but we still need a season 3.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Going full tilt in favor of Sweet Mask over this is kinda... Weird. Have you guys forgotten how he's been consistently in the wrong and a real jerk for the majority of the comic? This chapter doesn't vindicate jack poo poo of what he's done.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

I dunno implying he'll kill the S-class is pretty naughty in my books.

Also urging Saitama to finish off Garou. His attitude the entire Garou arc actually. His attitude when meeting Genos.

Don't bring Genos up as some kind of counter example, we knew Genos all of 15 minutes before he met Saitama and recognized him.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Fine and dandy war criminals.