Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Parrotine posted:

You would think that esper brat would have learned a thing or two about humility after getting crushed by Garou, but nope, the SS Bitch keeps on riding those high seas!

I think she could have taken him at full strength. She is as strong as Mob at 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Welcome to the club.

One of these days Bad Seafood's gonna read this version so he can appreciate how hard it is for us to keep those other threads relatively unspoiled.

Its incredibly easy to not spoil something. Just don't do it

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I guess there was the matter of them going up against disadvantageous matchups, but a lot of the S-Ranks really didn't distinguish themselves in the Garou arc. It's like there's a world of difference between 2nd place, 3rd place, and then the rest.

Atomic Samurai was probably the unluckiest. His first opponent is Black Sperm, who's probably the strongest among the Monster Association and has this weird regeneration / splitting up thing to boot.

Meanwhile, Bang, who's 1 rank above him, easily kills off 2 Dragon levels and would have taken down Homeless Emperor as well if it hadn't been of Psykos holding him still.

I never realized it on my first read but Tanktop Vegetarian (the one who got beaten by Garou) was presumably the second strongest Tanktop as A-Rank 9 (1 ~ 8 are all accounted for already).

It's also surprising how many Tanktops there are, but then again, there are a ton of B-Ranks and C-Ranks unaccounted for.

There was decent character development for pretty much everyone there. I think thats all that really matters

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Death Bot posted:

considering catching up on the one version, have only read the redraw. is there a chapter i can jump to?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch-Man-ONE/Ch-052-Read-Online?id=168353

This is when garou beats up tank top master. Everything after that in the murata version is filler, so this is where you start. Maybe read the chapters beforehand if you want a sense of ONE's pacing and art style. The chapters move fairly quickly compared to murata

Soon we get to see the infinite combo. Wonder how thats gonna look

Terror Sweat fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 26, 2015

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I don't know if I like the fact that Garou is fighting Metal Bat in the redraw. If he's already going around attacking S classes, why would he bother with A classes? I really liked the trap scene they set up, and this seems to diminish that right now. The pacing of the story feels off, but that might just be because I read the original

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Metal Bat is an S class and he was mysteriously absent during the MA/Garou climax.

ONE has even said that Metal Bat being there for the Monster Association would have dramatically altered the events, so given his power level, it's important to explain why he's out of action.

This is a spoiler for the next Murata chapter so maybe it's kind of weird to spoiler it here but I will because it is technically new to everyone
Metal Knight's robot from the Meteor scene shows up to kill the Centipede. Garou may also put that out of action after he neutralises Metal Bat to explain his absence too.

Why would garou bother with A classes then if hes already taken out 2 S-classes

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lamebot posted:

Garou's obsession transformed him into a monster just like crabrante and light pull cord. Saitama's not too different.

Did you not read that arc at all? Garou wasn't a monster, he was just being a lazy hero. He figured pulling an Ozymandias was a better way to world peace

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, but the fact that those guys are in the food business isn't really that important. The fact that they made Zombieman and their :speculate: about Saitama are important, but not particularly related to the stand.

but it messes with the zombieman joke. who cares about the plot points

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I know right? Who would've thought the art would progress so well? It starts from 'Am I looking at some napkin doodles?' and then it gets 'Ok I can understand what I'm looking at here' all the way to 'I could unironically recommend this to someone because it finally looks decent'

And now you can suffer along with us.

its cause he hired assistants

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

How did garou know that sweet mask could survive having his face caved in?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Voted Worst Mom posted:

The heroes like that too. They're sponsored though.

Name 5 that take pleasure in murdering others

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

This isnt old man in the underworld. these monsters are all pieces of poo poo

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unless Saitama shows up and this doesn't get settled by Fubuki and Tatsumaki this'll actually be the first fight Saitama's technically lost.

those bullies beat him up when he was in school, that monster too

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I wonder why One bothered to upload that if he was going to leave off in the middle of a conversation.

thats just his way

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

Wow the art has really improved tremendously since the earliest chapters.

now to be fair, it could just be his assistants

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Good news everyone

there are more pages, one hasnt stopped yet. just havent been scanlated yet

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ONE has some really cool designs

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ONE apparently storyboards everything for the rewrite, so I guess he's just re-contextualizing and rearranging things a bit

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It sure is weird reading these two characters get killed as a gag in like 2 pages in the original, and them having an entire fully fleshed out fight in the redraw. It’s really killing the humour

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

They’re two speedster brothers with the exact same name fighting the exact same character who is clearly going to chump them in one panel again

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, anyone could predict how this fight is going to end. two ninjas think they are faster than the fast guy, but then it turns out they are not and they lose. except, the execution of this simple idea is all but guaranteed to look super fuckin' cool.

Cant wait for Phoenix man, the man who got his powers from wearing a furry costume, gets 3 issues of him trying to murder a child

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

Cant wait for Phoenix man, the man who got his powers from wearing a furry costume, gets 3 issues of him trying to murder a child

Lmao it actually happened

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Not a fan of the new changes. Originally it was heroes are supercocky, walk in without really caring and just mopping the floor with these chumps in one panel. This leads to a dramatic reversal when it suddenly happens to them instead.

But now all the joke chumps are putting up a fight and it’s gone from gag villain —> guy you think is a gag but a deadly threat
to
Super strong villain who put up a fight —> even stronger villain who puts up a bigger fight

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Originally Phoenix man was a gag to show how strong child emperor is and to show how bad things were when he was getting his rear end kicked by the water. But now he just looks like a chump, it's a strange direction to go through.
The redraw just isn't funny anymore, it was at first

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

I am trying to remember, but in the original didn't we have essentially the same joke for the Monster Association leaders? I.e., we see a single panel of each S class defeated to show how these guys are absolutely next level. So maybe they'll do these prelim fights as big epic things to establish that S class are power hitters, only for the MA guys to take them down quickly, then segue into the next part? (more likely we'll also get big battles for those tho)

I do prefer the original's pace and silliness but also like the new pretty art. For this arc I am not worried about it since we have both versions to enjoy anyway, I am going to feel somewhat sad when we get past the ONE stuff and have no original reference for his quick jokes as opposed to just Murata's excess.

But they aren't shown as power hitters, this kid looks like a chump

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

That’s a pretty funny joke that’ll almost certainly be cut in the redraw when it arrives in 4 years

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ONE and Thorsby are both masters of the amazing comics but weird art style

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

She always had the meat puppet thing going on, there is absolutely no way whatsoever that they would skip the "Tatsumaki is so goddamn strong, like impossibly strong, that being miles away underground won't hide you"

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It's pretty crazy how the past like 10 chapters or so are all just 2 chapters of the webcomic

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

boredsatellite posted:

Where the gently caress did the freckles go

The vision she saw was so horrifying it destroyed them

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Not sure exactly whats going on without the translation but its gonna be real good when murata redraws it and they add 20 chapters of beautiful content

In 12 years and stripped of all jokes?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

pik_d posted:

I really want to do a full re-read of this since there's new stuff, has anyone done it recently and how long did it take?

It's a pretty quick read, shouldnt take too long.

Also it looks like we're getting to the good poo poo in the redraw right now

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

What are your guys’ thoughts on ONE adding that hero association kid hostage and changing it from an assault mission to a rescue mission? I’m not really sure it added that much, but I did like when sweet mask killed all the hero association guys in suits

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Don’t forget God, Blast and genos’s story

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Parrotine posted:

They already covered Genos's story? It was that whole wall-of-text explanation with Saitama not giving two fucks about it.

Or maybe you're talking about ONE actually moving that plot piece on his story chess board, then I getcha

Genos still needs to find the guy that murdered his family

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

That’s a hell of a final panel

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Nanigans posted:

I mean, prior to like 2 chapters ago, was there any reason to think he was anything but a huge, possibly evil, rear end in a top hat?

Genuine question. I haven’t re-read the webcomic in forever.

Well it was clear that his devotion to justice was all about protecting the people first and eliminating all who threaten them, he was always definitely a hero. The way he looked down on the lazy s-classers showed that he took it pretty seriously.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

I went back to reread the corresponding manga chapters and I had forgotten that the private squad were complete cowards who would've traded the kid's life for their own. Looking at it from that angle, they're not that different from the fighters that monsterized themselves at the end of the tournament. So fair point on them. As for the aliens, if a single one of them had been an engineer capable of building a ship like the one Boros had then that would've been an immense boon to humanity. They weren't a threat anymore, so what's the harm in letting them live? It's not about what they deserve, it's about what is practically better for everyone. In that instance, sweet mask did what was better for himself using "justice" as an excuse. A very human thing to do, certainly, but also reprehensible.

Either way sweet mask was, a few months ago, a solid candidate for becoming an antagonist exemplifying the evils of the hero system. Now he's more like an antihero, acting callous and being a dick to people but for understandable reasons. I suppose I'm going to find him less excusable than the rest of the thread, but I do like how his arc picks up where Garou's left off in how the real big difference between heroes and monsters is basically what they do with their power and, to a lesser degree, how socially accepted their activities are. ONE is good.

If a single one of them had been an engineer capable of building a ship like the one Boros had then they were a massive threat to humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Going full tilt in favor of Sweet Mask over this is kinda... Weird. Have you guys forgotten how he's been consistently in the wrong and a real jerk for the majority of the comic? This chapter doesn't vindicate jack poo poo of what he's done.

Did you feel the same way about genos when you first saw him? Cause he was the same.