Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
The one thing that makes the change hard to assess is the fact that we've all now seen both alternatives (Sweet Mask killing the Mercs and Sweet Mask not killing them) so we have the advantage of knowing the bigger picture here. In the future only one version will exist, and I don't know if the new one is better than what we had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

His workout is like 2 hours a day max, it's a hobby

Does he still have to workout like this to maintain his god-like invincibility, or is it like flicking a switch and now he's locked into this state permanently?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I kind of love the idea that Saitama just by chance happened upon the exact "cheat code" of life for becoming invincible. And that his genuine earnestness for being good, but overall apathy, let him not transform into a monster like most other people would.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

aww I wanted Suiko to get a better showing than that.
Especially after she shotgunned a fuckin four loko she should have won what the fuuuuck

I feel the same way, but for Tank Top Master. Especially after putting on a tighter tank top for enhanced performance. Is he doomed to never get a decisive victory against a major threat?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I think it's a bit short sighted to treat the Garou arc as a standalone thing that the webcomic quickly and efficiently completed and moved on from. By the end, Garou is still alive, Psychos is still alive, the nebulous threat of "God" has just barely been touched on, and there is a backdrop storyline of ever increasing monster attacks.

I love both the webcomic and the manga and am grateful both exist. At a certain point when these threads become endless complaints it sort of forces the question: if you don't like the manga, why not just stop reading?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

-expand the garou/darkshine fight

This one is interesting for me. I've been OK with all the HA vs MA fights (even Child Emperor vs Phoenix man would have been totally fine if it wasn't re-drawn twice - I think it was super helpful for showing off CE's actual abilities). And even though I didn't love it in the anime (which is how I was introduced to the franchise) on re-reading I actually now really like the tournament arc.

The only two things that I've felt are redundant/unnecessary is 1) the second chapter of the Garou/Darkshine fight (I felt all the plot points of Darkshine feeling scared of Garou's power were covered fine in the first chapter, and sort of just repeated in the second), and 2) maybe some of the current Tatsumaki vs Psykos fight since it's now been a couple cycles of: Psykos shows great power, Tatsumaki seems outmatched at first but then turns the tables and does something heroic.

Otherwise, every time a new chapter comes out I am excited, and very rarely disappointed.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Bacontotem posted:

It''ll turn out Blast isn't the most mass destructive Hero, he's the only one who is well trained in de escalating situations.

#defundtheheroassociation

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

drat, i'd really missed this comic. it makes sense that hammerhead would show up now, since the neo heroes are very obviously picking up the long-forgotten plot hook from the end of that story.

We know the anime didn’t expect to see Hammerhead again, since he was shown to be at a job interview during the Boros arc.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Glad to see discussion in this thread restart, because with the last Murata manga chapter I have more thoughts for this thread.

For those following the manga, I'm very curious to know what others think of Garou revealing his motivation so early? Do you think it was a good choice? Does this mean the there is still an ultimate reveal that will be just as satisfying as the web comic version?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Shugojin posted:

King locking down Evil Natural Water by simply not making a single attack is one of my favorite moments in the series

Haha yes! ENW not doing anything to King because he has no murderous intent due to being a terrified coward is an amazing twist. All of the King stuff is actually a part of the manga that I am looking forward to most.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
As pathetic as it may sound, one of the things keeping me going in this pandemic is the excitement from the idea of seeing a Murata-drawn depiction of Silverfang killing Fuerer ugly, Gums, and thousand Black Sperms...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Lamebot posted:

I feel like the redraw is going to conclude after the garou arc and this reaffirms that for me.

I would consider this extremely unlikely, unless Murata, specifically, has indicated he's done with OPM (which in itself seems unlikely with how much effort he has spent re-doing already released chapters).

In order to conclude the manga in the Garou arc you would either have to cram in, or leave unresolved, the following plot threads that have been opened:
- Genos and the renegade cyborg
- Blast and his whole deal
- Sonic and his whole deal
- Fubuki's character arc with her sister
- Suiryu becoming a hero
- King and Saitama's friendship
- The dark side of the Hero Association
- The Organization and Drive Knight's whole deal
- Is Metal Knight evil, or planning something
- Maybe something to do with costumed heroes/monsters (Pheonix man, Child Emperor, Watchdog Man)

What shame if they ended it so soon...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

I don’t see how the redraw can elegantly give us a “King singlehandedly holds off the monster association” scene at this point, so it’s still strictly inferior unless they manage to pull it off.

There is something about ONE's storytelling in the webcomic that really makes the scenes feel vivid and grounded to the point where you, the reader, sort of imagine what it would be like to live through the events as one of the civilian bystanders. Two moments in the MA arc are really notable that way for me:

1) Child Emperor dictating a journal of the accounts of the MA raid, up to the point where the base is lifted and he's now buried in rubble. You really feel the stakes as he talks about not knowing which heroes are alive or dead, and how if the heroes lose, there would never again be peace on Earth.

2) The sequence where Tatsumaki is facing all the cadres on her own, and Fubuki is underground talking about how it wouldn't even be safe to go to the surface with the energy being put out. Thinking about Tats' powers brings to mind the wave of destruction in those old atomic bomb test videos.

I don't know if any of this will be captured as well in the manga, but that's ok. I'm totally fine with the manga being it's own separate (and awesome in a different way) thing.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

oh jay posted:

Remind me, are the Neo Heroes and their suits related to the Organization? Because as far as I can tell that's the last hanging plot thread from the first part of the series that hasn't been addressed (assuming Drive Knight isn't lying out of his rear end).

If I had to throw out wild speculations, I would guess that the Neo Heroes are a bit of a distraction to the main villain, which is the Organization. And this story arc could be leading up to some major hero Association / Organization / Metal Knight show down

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 6, 2021

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

there are several moving pieces here. I'm not sure if we have dual plots of neo heroes & bofoi or if this is all the same one

If I had to list the major story arcs that need to be finished before the end of the series I would say they are:
- What is the organization, and what are their goals
- What is up with Metal Knight
- What's going on with all those psychics
- What's going on with the Mad Cyborg that Genos is going after
- What is Blast's deal
- What is "God" and how will that be resolved

The Neo Heroes arc seam like it could cover several of these items. Of the S-Class heroes, I think Watchdog Man is maybe the only one that still needs to be explored.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He's a dog.

That's his power.

Excuse me, he is a dog-MAN.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Didn't want to bother the manga thread with this question, were the heroes this brutalized in the webcomic? I can't remember and I don't know where to check since Mangadex is still down.

For reference:
https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/73ssrKi/1/1/

The brutalization in the manga is definitely more extreme than the webcomic, and not just because of Murata’s art. What just happened to sweet mask is much worse than in the comic. And Tatsumaki is getting far more traumatized. Zombie Man... pretty much the same.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

Used to be a rule that the only characters that got really mangled were cyborgs or Zombieman. Not so much this go around.

...or Garou!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

I was trying to read ""this part"" on the webcomic last night and lol it is entirely different. Fubuki fights most of the psychic and then there's a beating before Garou is up.

Where we are at right now it doesn't seem to be too radically different from the webcomic at the point where Tatsumaki was taking on the cadres by herself, right before Genos and Bang show up. I think most of the "chess pieces" are more or less in the same place.

Depends on the actual status of Sweet Mask, TTM, Metal Bat, and Darkshine, and whether any of them will play a different role.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

RatHat posted:

The newest Murata chapter gives more context to why Darkshine retired.

A part of me kind of hopes that Darkshine is mostly done for this arc (even though I really like his character). I found the webcomic to be a bit lacking in the part where he teams up with Flashy Flash to fight Garou, since there was absolutely zero reason to think it would be an interesting or challenging battle.

I realize part of that is the gag of continuously teasing the reader about when Saitama will finally fight, but I feel like Darkshine in the manga has already gone through his lose-->regain his confidence-->lose again arc.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

Yeah he definitely became a big star in this version

I think the manga has done a great job of scaling up the danger of the cadres. Between the webcomic events, and the first half of the the raid on the Monster Association, it was starting to feel like most heroes in the S Class could solo any dragon-level threat.

Characters like Goketsu, Elder Centipede, Fuhrer Ugly, and now Black Sperm really show what it ought to take to defeat them (a concerted effort of multiple heroes working together).

... I still think Nyan went down too easily, though.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

mabels big day posted:

As long as Murata makes the fight from King's arrival to Saitama's decision to let Garou go essentially unchanged, I'll be happy. Just let all the character beats from that part happen without interference, because in my mind that whole section is perfect.

I think I'm more hyped for King's arrival than even the Saitama/Garou fight. I expect it to be very different, but so far the Manga seems to be doing a decent job of maintaining narrative roadmarks, even if all the circumstances are new.

Like, for example, I was also hyped for Bang vs the cadres. I think the manga version ended up being more satisfying: Bang completely dominating Gums and Fuhrer Ugly, and still being around to go all out on Garou. I think that feels better than Bang killing the two cadres and then immediately being taken out.

I want to think that the manga is ONE's second attempt at the story, and he is looking at ways to tweak and extend the plotlines in a way that is more fun, now that he has an artist who can do all the visual legwork.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

True but bang saying time out was funnier

Agreed!

Though: "oh dear, your face is caved in"

"It's always been like this you lovely geezer!"

Is a good consolation prize!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Jerkface posted:

edit wrong thread

edit 2 wait right thread confusing!

I hope we get the scene where everyone is fighting around Saitama and he is trying to fight but no one is listening to him

I love this gag, but I felt like this part dragged in the Webcomic. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to think that Flashy Flash and Darkshine might be a match for Garou, and I would honestly prefer not to waste time on it.

Also, on the topic of how Golden Sperm became gold, I'm very torn about whether to think this was always going to be his ultimate form, or if in the manga version he specifically chose to be gold as a counter to VFU. If it's the latter, it may suggest that there could be another form (sort of giving me vibes of Phoenix Man in the redraw)

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 28, 2021

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Really hoping that this release sticks to the recent tradition, and at least a couple more chapters are to follow within the next 24 hours.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I know this probably isn't the case since there is still so much that still needs to happen in this story, but this chapter feels very "end-game-ish"

A seemingly all-out attack by either the Organization or by Metal Knight. Genos potentially reaching his max strength. Nobody left to repair Genos when he's broken...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

from multiple cities being by destroyed

On that point, is there a list somewhere of the number of OPM cities (presumably out of a total of 26) are completely in ruins?

I could probably come up with at least 5 or 6 just off the top of my head

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

pik_d posted:

Well he's a good boy who stays in his own city, how else would he make sure it stays intact?

My theory is that he has no power in any other city. He didn’t stay for a hot second when Boros attacked the city he was already in.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

oh jay posted:

ONE can probably neatly tie together the Neo Heroes, the Organization, Metal Knight etc, together based on what's been set up so far.

But the Martial Artists, the Sui-Siblings and now the tease of Garo's reintroduction, demand a more complete arc.

Agreed, it seems pretty likely that everything with Neo heroes is about war between metal knight and the Organization.

But there a lot of things still to wrap up, maybe most importantly everything going on with God, Psychos, and the intro of Blast and his whole deal.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Part of me would love a twist of a truly benevolent Organization that only recognizes Metal Knight as the greatest threat to humanity, and will therefore do any unscrupulous thing to collect battle data and get strong enough to resist him.

But I doubt that theory could hold up given everything we know.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I agree that some of the highest, highs of the webcomic haven't been quite as impactful in the manga, but overall I do think the manga tells a more engaging story. There are definitely parts of the cadre battle that felt a bit tedious to me in the webcomic, and so far I've been really enjoying every moment of it in the manga.

Where there are moments we can make direct comparisons between the two, I can't tell if the manga fails to deliver the same goods, or if it just has everything to do with my expectations.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

I started flipping through the manga and huh wow, I forgot that Psychos snapped because she gained a mind’s eye and saw the future of humanity. That…kinda hits close to home considering recent times.

I really believe the overarching story arc of OPM is about a society on the brink of collapse.

I love the scene in that one manga chapter where Garou is walking through a city and he sees a large protest movement of humans who want to implement blood sacrifices to keep the monsters happy.

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 10, 2021

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Fellis posted:

I think wave motion cannon is happening in the redraw next chapter

Feels too early, like we could use another chapter or two of all the S-class in despair. That or this is the King fakeout so the S-class backs off? Dunno how its gonna play out, but pretty sure that’s King Engine in the last panel

I doubt it will be as early as next chapter. There has to be several "chess" pieces to arrive first. At a minimum, Child Emperor and Evil Natural Water will have to come back.

I agree, though, that I could have used another chapter or two of despair (except that I'm just so happy for a new chapter after 3 months)

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 9, 2021

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Really seem like all the focus on the Monster Association and cadres was a bit a of red herring to hide the fact that the whole operation was essentially a nesting ground for God.

The S class were hopelessly out-matched without Garou and Saitama, which will bridge well into the next arcs with each of the heroes exploring ways to get stronger.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

I'm really not feeling Garou and Metal Bat teaming up at this piont in the Murata version. Like, I get that it'd be hard to think Garou is purely a monster at that point as a reader anyway, but I feel it's extremely important for the Saitama and Garou match that everybody but Saitama thinks Garou is too far gone.

My guess is that this is ONE wanting a better set up for the ideological chasm that splits the S class in the next arc. Characters like Metal Bat see that despite Garou's lovely actions, he's not actually an evil being, whereas characters like Flashy Flash attempt to immediately assassinate Garou despite the fact that he just saved Bang's life, and attacked three cadres (and killed one).

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah normally I don't mind a little bit of elaboration, but this part of the arc particularly had a really great pacing and flow in the webcomic that the manga is just kinda loving it all up. Garou goofing around with Metal Bat completely undercuts his transformation to monster. Him pointing out the kid he saved in the helicopter to Metal Bat is not nearly as good a character beat as him lying about killing the child only for Saitama to totally call his bluff. Having bigger versions of the same monsters we've seen defeated show up then immediately be defeated feels like filler and doesn't do anything to raise the stakes.

The King bits still turned out amazing so I am holding out hope, but they've already taken the bite out of a lot of bits that were genuinely amazing in the webcomic.

I know a lot of people in this thread won't like this, but my guess is that the story is setting up for Garou to be tempted by God and given a power up, and that will be what reintroduces stakes to his character. Whether he accepts because he's desperate while getting beat down by Saitama, or because he's deceived, we'll just have to see.

Brought To You By posted:

He's leaning so hard into setting it up one of the consequences was yet another re-write of the Child Emperor fight which hamfisted the conflict into the fight instead of letting it happen when it originally did with Child Emperor just not getting in contact with Bofoy and watching the remaining S-class constantly job. There were already natural justifications for why everyone acts the way they do in the aftermath of the raid yet here we are.

Child Emperor and Darkshine always made sense to me, but Metal Bat leaving the HA for Neo was a bit of a head scratcher. So I don't mind this getting a bit of development.

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 30, 2022

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

I would pop extremely hard if it turns out Garou is looking at someone just off frame behind Saitama, but I don't think there's anyone conscious left besides King's group?

This was my thought exactly, and I think we could still get another fake-out that they are about to start fighting (we already got a mini fake out when Saitama charged Garou, but actually ran past him to see Genos).

Possibilities are that Evil Natural Water isn't dead and comes back immediately , or that Pyskos comes back. I think it's very likely that we will get a final show down with Fubuki and Psykos, and probably something involving Tareo in danger.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I'm not ready to assume we're about to just jump into the big epic fight with Saitama. The last panel in the chapter showed the support team helicopter, and we know Psykos is still out there somewhere. I think we could see some drama with her and Tareo as a hostage, and then maybe the Fubuki fight, or something. I keep trying to predict what will happen, and I'm constantly wrong, so...

Basically, in short, I don't want to judge until everything is finished.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Do people who hate the manga, still follow it the way I used to hate watch the later seasons of the The Walking Dead? If so, that makes me a bit sad because I genuinely love this series (both versions), and online spaces are the only place to talk about it since no one in my real life is interested in this sort of stuff.

I typically prefer the SA forums because I usually respect goons' perspectives on art, so its very deflating to see such hostility all the time - the unstated implication being that I'm a stupid loser for liking something that is so obviously flawed and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I'll admit there's lots of things I've wanted to discuss about the differences between the manga and the webcomic and the things that have been better or worse between the two, but I've largely held off because it seemed like the predominant opinion of this thread was that the manga sucks and people have no interest.