Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I bet he'll pick up the pace when Murata starts nipping at his heels. I'm under the impression ONE knows what's going to happen and can knock one of these out in an afternoon.

Nah.

He's got lovely art, to be sure, but the panel layout of the action scenes and the flow of each page work wonderfully, to the point where even Murata would keep quite of bit of the panels completely the same, because it already works so why change it. You don't just do that kind of thing without thinking about it, that takes a bit of planning to work out how to stage everything.

That and the writing in the series is top notch, which is another thing you can't just whip out whenever you're in the mood. Takes time to draft, edit, and polish, good writing doesn't just come out of thin air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

You know, the Murata redraw had Sweet Mask being a string-puller at HQ, deciding who gets to rank up and who doesn't. That's even been hinted at a bit in this series, too. I can see Sweet Mask refusing to let Saitama into S rank simply because he hates his guts.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BlitzBlast posted:

Hahaha does Sweet Mask have a crush on Saitama?

Nah, I think Sweet Mask is referring to "God"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Parrotine posted:

I don't wanna read that, I wanna read about Saitama

Davinci posted:

Yes you do want to read mob psycho. Go read it

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

jwang posted:

Did you missed the part where Sweet Mask obsesses over Saitama's strength? He's already part of Caped Baldy's harem. Apparently this story still follows some tropes, such as "strength recognizing strength".
I still think he was referring to "God" in that scene instead of Saitama. Actually I went back and read it again so nevermind me.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 6, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

tsob posted:

The anime episode where Saitama and Genos join the hero association kind of ruined that a bit from my understanding, since they gave him a really low C class rank because he did so badly on the written test while acknowledging that he annihilated all the physical tests to an unprecedented degree with them noting that he'll be one to watch in future. I haven't read the manga in a while but I was sure there was something there about how the association flat out didn't believe the scores Saitama achieved in the physical tests and assumed there had to be some cheating or mistakes going on so they gave him just about the lowest rank possible. If they knew what his strength was there's really no reason he shouldn't be an S class, even with Sweet Mask's concerns.

They only start thinking he cheated later, after he gave up his victory against Sea King to the other heroes and gained a lovely reputation.

I do like how the anime added in bits where they also don't know he was involved in the House of Evolution and so gave all the credit for that to Genos.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Because let's face it, some of Mob looks downright professional.

Well, it is the one he's getting paid to do, so it makes sense that some of that money should go towards making it look good.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Love how, in her first ONE appearance, Lily already looks and acts way more badass than we've seen her in the Murata version.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I'm crying that chapter was so beautiful.

MP100 is the better manga as a whole but OPM can outdo any individual chapter easily.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I'm pretty sure chapter 100 is just going to be 100 without decimal points.

Chapter 99.09 is a possibility, though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I'm sure there are at least a couple of other scenes worth not spoiling (that have already been spoiled at least a couple of times in the other thread anyway)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

Honestly, I kinda growing cold on the Murata version. The latest chapters was pretty boring and all this backstory and additional material really kills the pacing.

I imagine if you've only read the Murata version, it's still exciting, but yeah. I prefer the ONE version. It's funnier, it doesn't drag, and it's more consistently about Saitama as a super powered protagonist with a bunch of weirdo side characters to keep things interesting. Murata's version has much better action, but the added material is more filler than anything, and ends up making Saitama a side character in his own series. They try to fix this with things like Elder Centipede, but that just ends up being an awesome King moment with a side of Saitama.

Somebody in the Murata thread pointed out that Garou feels more like the protagonist now since he's had several chapters dedicated to his point of view, which is also true in the ONE version but the Garou chapters were much shorter and more evenly paced there. Like, originally it was some random kid he saw being bullied that got kidnapped, but now it's the same kid who helped him before, so he's tried to save the kid from both monsters and heroes, and it's like, what did running into that kid twice add? Well, it makes Garou more sympathetic and clears his motivations up a lot, since at this point in the ONE manga he's still struggling between wanting to be a monster and not really wanting to kill people, but in the Murata version it's clear he doesn't want to be a monster nor kill people, which really muddies up the narrative.

I swear if the next chapter tries to show Garou sneaking into the monster's base it will have lost all sense of proper pacing.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Xarbala posted:

I'm okay with the changes, even if some of the comedy is lost. Shame it'll probably take another half year or so to get to serious table flip though.

it's not just the comedy, it's the tight pacing and dramatic tension that's suffering from the bloat, too

Jerkface posted:

whatever you think is lost in extending certain sequences ive gotta say Murata's art just makes everything sweeter. One's writing x 100 extra pages of lovingly rendered art? Sure.

I agree with that in regards to the early chapters, for example, the build up and fight with Ashura Rhino was brilliant in the Muruta version because all the added details didn't distract from the primary focus of the story, it moved at the same pace and all the added detail was there to make the fight even more dynamic and the punch line at the end even funnier.

But at this point, the added detail is making the comic bloated and the story drag hard. I haven't even read the newest chapter, there's just zero interest for me right now, because it's becoming a bit of a slog to get through all these additions that don't actually add anything of substance beyond "cool art"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Piriwi posted:

I wonder if the remake will simply end with this arc... would explain why everyone is getting their moment to shine.

very unlikely, since the comic is still very popular and season 2 of the anime is probably gonna boost that popularity again

the more likely end is that the webcomic is never completed and the Murata version catches up then passes it