Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wittgen posted:

I doubt the manga is over. There's a lot of unanswered questions. We haven't seen the top S ranked hero. Genos has gotten zero resolution to his quest, though there were hints that his opponent is Metal Knight. It's unclear whether the prophecy has been resolved or not.

I mean, it could certainly end soon. If this winds up to a Saitama vs. the Hero Association smackdown, Bang (is that S-1's name?) and Metal Knight could get pulled in and the major stuff could be resolved within a few updates. It seems a bit unlikely to me.

Nah, Bang is the Rank 3, Silver Fang. Old guy who does martial arts.

Rank 1 is Blast.

And Bang's brother is Bomb.

Sorta makes me wonder if they're all related or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nahxela posted:

No, the real question is if there's a supermarket in that place, and if so, when are the next sales on vegetables.

There better be, for the Association's sake. Wouldn't want those really expensive defense bots malfunctioning every time Saitama needs to go buy his groceries.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I lost my poo poo at "It was like a car crashed into me..." and "Naw man,you really got hit by a car."

I loving love One's comedy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mystic Mongol posted:

Honestly I just didn't think I knew enough about watchdog man to comment. Like, what's his deal?

He's a watchdog, man.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Re: People knowing about how strong Saitama is, I think Asura Rhino was the only character to realize how strong Saitam was before the fight began, whereas Garou and Boros appeared to only understand his strength during their fight against him. And Garou kept deluding himself during the initial stages, whereas Boros got an inkling after they traded some blows. So Asura Rhino gets points for that in my book.

I've gotten to thinking that Garou might have been the opponent that Boros was destined to fight, but Saitama being around screwed up the prophecy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think I read that the first popularity contest for the original version listed Boros as God-Level, but when the remake came out with a guidebook he was called "Dragon-Level" on his file and "at least Dragon-Level" on the Q&A section.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

Wasn't part of the point of the Garou vs Saitama fight that evolving too far made him weaker instead of stronger?

I think Garou was on the verge of breaking his limiter, but fighting against Saitama drove him to so much despair that he gave up the chance to do so in order to become a mysterious being instead. Which ties into Saitama's whole speech about Garou giving up on being a hero and taking the easy way out.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gnome7 posted:

Regarding the Metal Bat chat in the other thread right now: I have a strong feeling that the current Murata-version arc is going to end with Metal Bat in the hospital. Because going off of everything we've seen of the guy, Metal Bat is one of the most reliable people the Hero Association has, so it's really weird that he didn't show up for the Monster Association battle. If Garou took him out here, that'd explain that - he can't show up if he's still in the hospital, after all. I can't imagine any other reason he wouldn't show up, so I'm glad Murata is adding more to the Hero Hunt.

Which S-Ranks didn't make it, anyways?

Engine Knight, Metal Knight, Watchdogman, and Metal Bat, yeah? And the perpetually missing Blast.

Metal Bat's ranking apparently went 15 -> 16 -> 15 (having been knocked down a place by Genos), so it could be that Garou takes Metal Bat out, then takes the Centipede out, and then Metal Bat is given credit for it? Which would explain why he rose in rank again in the meantime.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, right, Tanktop Master.

He's like, one of the biggest non-entities among the S-Ranks for me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess there was the matter of them going up against disadvantageous matchups, but a lot of the S-Ranks really didn't distinguish themselves in the Garou arc. It's like there's a world of difference between 2nd place, 3rd place, and then the rest.

Atomic Samurai was probably the unluckiest. His first opponent is Black Sperm, who's probably the strongest among the Monster Association and has this weird regeneration / splitting up thing to boot.

Meanwhile, Bang, who's 1 rank above him, easily kills off 2 Dragon levels and would have taken down Homeless Emperor as well if it hadn't been of Psykos holding him still.

Jintor posted:

i like that he's king of the dudebros but doesn't actually seem to be that jerky of a guy. he does get rekt every time though

I never realized it on my first read but Tanktop Vegetarian (the one who got beaten by Garou) was presumably the second strongest Tanktop as A-Rank 9 (1 ~ 8 are all accounted for already).

It's also surprising how many Tanktops there are, but then again, there are a ton of B-Ranks and C-Ranks unaccounted for.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

So Zombie Man would get absolutely murdered by the Sea King.

I always thought they would tie, honestly.

I've always just thought that Zombie Man doesn't really have much in terms of offense; he's just really tenacious and you literally can't keep him down unless you grind him to paste.

Given that Sea King has enough toughness to resist blows from the physically powerful Pri-Pri Prisoner, I don't think anything Zombie Man could throw at Sea King would stick.

Unsure if Sea King could permanently kill of Zombie Man but to be honest there's really no need to. Just beat him up and toss him away, then repeat whenever Zombie Man comes back. Or he could just laugh as Zombie Man ineffectually wails on him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

Well the centipede is one of the monsters that saves Garou from Bang and Bomb and recruits him to the monster organization so it can't die here.

I think that was the small one, the Demon level one.

There are three Centipedes.

Elder Centipede (Dragon), Senior Centipede (Demon), Junior Centipede (Demon?)

The one that saves Garou and then gets killed by him later is Senior.

EDIT: Then again, Senior got killed, so Murata's version is diverging from the original a bit, I guess.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It took losing what he loved most to teach him the true value of justice.

Dude was just even before Saitama thought about being a hero.

I really like this picture.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Guy A. Person posted:

Just speculating, maybe "senior centipede" is a title or a ranking, and not a name?

Might be.

They're apparently just regular centipedes that turned into monsters. So could be more of 'em?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, some fanart just made me realized we haven't seen Genos in a long while. When was the last time we saw him? a quick glance over the ending of the Garou arc shows me he wasn't even there.

He was yellin' at the people who were yellin' at Saitama to kill Garou, tellin' them that they should respect Saitama's choice to spare Garou.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Hello thread.

Xarbala finally convinced me to jump aboard the ONE train so I spent the whole evening catching up on the Garou arc.

Wow.

Took you long enough Mod Seafood.

Can't believe you thought you could mod this subforum without reading the ONE version.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They even use the same Wind Blade Kick technique, I believe.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's also Metal Knight, whose name is Bofoi.

Yeah, Bang seems to be a unique case cause he prefers to be called by his name instead of his hero name. When Genos referred to Metal Knight as Bofoi, Bofoi stated that heroes should be addressed by their hero names, not their real names.

Tatsumaki and Fubuki are also different because their hero names contain their actual names.

Hardly anyone refers to Saitama by his name I think. Bang, King, Genos, and Fubuki do, but they're close to him (for a loose definition of close). Saitama isn't really that well known and (like Genos) received his name during the Garou arc, which was the previous arc, so his hero name probably requires time to set in.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I checked the chapters after the Garou arc and the DJ dude who got hit by Fubuki's car referred to him as Saitama, because that's what Saitama introduced himself as.

Makes sense, since Saitama hates being reminded that he's bald. So I guess he's like Bang.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brightman posted:

Finally decided to catch up with this version over the weekend. At least I think I'm caught up, if the last thing that happened was Sonic slipped on dog poo poo, then I'm all caught up.

Mostly all this did was hype me up for whenever Murata gets to it.

Actually another chapter after that.

Don't trust Kissmanga, if that's what your using.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The last episode of the anime has sorta made me think about Boros in comparison to Garou, and disregarding power levels, I think the most notable fact is how they react to Saitama.

Boros is able to understand that Saitama is powerful, though he underestimates just how powerful Saitama is. Meanwhile, Garou has no clue who Saitama is, thinks he's some weak hero who's popped up after Garou has already defeated pretty much every S-class. It's only after Saitama trounces him that he realizes how strong Saitama is.

Boros never actually grows stronger - his Meteoric Burst and final attack are both something he already had. Meanwhile, Garou constantly evolves throughout his arc, and even during his fight against Saitama, until he finally ends up despairing when he doesn't know how to evolve further and eventually compromises, which ends up making him weaker.

Which leads to the major difference in how the two react to Saitama's strength. Boros fights seriously, but not at full power until he realizes that Saitama outclasses him utterly, then he activates his Meteoric Burst, which shortens his lifespan. He's actually delighted that Saitama is so strong, because it gives him a reason to fight. He ends up resorting to his final attack, presumably in an attempt to get Saitama to take their fight even a bit more seriously. He gets his wish, and Saitama busts out a serious punch. Boros ends up dying and Saitama wins, but ultimately you get the feeling that Boros is the one who comes off with the better deal, cause he got what Saitama couldn't - a thrilling battle that he could stake his life on. In the end, I think Boros felt a mixture of gratitude and sympathy for Saitama.

On the other hand, Garou initially keeps trying to rationalize Saitama's strength away before coming to compare Saitama's strength with 'unfair justice.' Garou's a hell lot different from Boros in that while Boros was fighting seriously (but not at full strength), Garou was deliberately going out of his way to ensure that he didn't kill any humans. Despite being the Hero Killer, the dude's only killed monsters (though he did rip off a dude's arm, which is a tad rude). Garou didn't really want a fight, he wanted to be undefeatable, like Saitama or Boros (pre-Earth invasion). So when he met up with someone stronger, his wish was to become something, anything strong enough to handle Saitama.

From Saitama's perspective, Boros was actually a villain to defeat, while Garou was just a dude who needed a lecture. A determined warrior in contrast to a kid throwing a massive tantrum. Garou's arc was longer, and you actually get to see him grow, so he leaves an impression, but I'd say that Boros leaves something far more powerful - an impact.

Granted, I say this because of the anime and the added scenes. Presumably, my opinions will change once Murata finishes the Garou arc, allowing it to be animated. Garou's frustration with the unfairness of the world, and his attempts to reconcile his own personal definition of a hero with the reality of what heroes are truly like, is pretty powerful too.

I sorta wonder what Garou, who idolized villains who tried their best against the unbeatable heroes, would have thought of Boros. Most monsters don't actually live up to Garou's fantasy of villains doing their best to persevere - a lot of them posture before ultimately getting killed in one blow. And in non-Saitama / Tatsumaki battles, its generally the heroes who are struggling and end up losing, as was the case in the Garou vs S-class heroes match.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

I could've sworn the title was Hero Hunter and not Hero Killer.

Might be.

I typed that out without checking sources, which isn't something I generally do.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Logikv9 posted:

I'm more surprised that she was able to lift Saitama at all :stare:

Tatsumaki can't lift Saitama directly, because her psychic powers don't work on someone with so much willpower.

She can, however, blow him back away using wind, or grab him and then fly.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

jwang posted:

The way I would rate the current strength of characters seen would be Saitama > Boros = Garou > Tatsumaki > rest of the S ranks. If Saitama really didn't wanted to be bothered by psychic powers, it wouldn't bother him. Like he said to Gargl-octopus alien guy, all these psychics are doing are throwing rocks (of various sizes and numbers) around, which anyone can do.

I'd add Bang between Tatsumaki and the other S ranks purely from what we've been shown. Dude ripped apart 2 dragon classes like paper and would have killed Homeless if not for Psykos.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Stairmaster posted:

Mob and Saitama are actually the same person.

Saitama
Saitamob
Saita Mob
Psyta Mob
Psycho Mob
Mob Psycho.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Saitama OR Diglet?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Among the S-classes, Tatsumaki (undeniably the strongest among the S-Ranks we've seen, and actually tends to be diligent with her work unlike the constantly absent Blast), Metal Knight (in charge of constructing pretty much everything, possessing manpower that pretty much outstrips everyone else), and King (the strongest man in the world) could probably get away with stuff other S-classes couldn't.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Whelp looks like we need a new thread tag.

Also who is Lily? A Murata version character who got added to the ONE version?

Yep. The sole female member of Fubuki's group (besides Fubuki of course).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I blame ONE's weird pacing. Just look at all the other characters that have been introduced and then never heard from again like Engineknight, Metal Knight and Watchdog man.

I figure Watchdogman pretty much sticks to his city, unlike other heroes, who are sent out to handle threads.

Each city probably has an official hero guarding it, from what we saw of the Hero Association meeting, with additional heroes sent when backup is needed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's pretty weird how when Fubuki's group was first introduced to Western readers via the Murata manga, they were a bunch of jerks as seen in the chapter with Glasses.

Now they're total bros.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wittgen posted:

Wow, poo poo is going to go down.

Blast is a hero as a hobby, but unlike Saitama, he has a full time job as well. Told Tatsumaki that you can't expect someone to save you when you're in a bind.

Also, there's going to be a new hero organization springing up. They don't think much of the Hero Association, and they're recruiting all kinds, even S ranks like Genos.

Given that Blast was active when Saitama was only like 6 or 7, you've got to wonder what the dude is like now.

Granted, we have seen old heroes like Bang and Atomic Samurai (37 is old no matter how you atomic slice it). Or a few A rankers. Or that C ranker who's a salaryman.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Considering he doesn't need Genos to pay his rent anymore now that he hasn't got his own home, so the apprenticeship was kind of over on Saitama's end anyway.

Pretty sure One stated that Saitama never used the money anyways,

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That would make heroing a full time job and not a hobby.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Genocyber posted:

Blase is absent so much because he has a real job and doesn't have as much time for his hero hobby anymore.

That's very blasé of you to say so.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

that doesn't work at all

Neither do hikikomoris.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it's what ONE did, as the writer, but then again, I'm not fully savvy on the manga writing process.

Maybe the webcomic is crowdwritten.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
ONE is on a goddamn role cause 2 more pages have been added.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The neat thing about Genos is that despite being all about REVENGE and KILL ALL MONSTERS, when forced to choose between REVENGE and SACRIFICE SELF TO SAVE OTHERS, Genos always goes for the latter. He decides to try and take down Mosquito Girl with him, and risks his life to save that little girl. He places the safety of other people above himself and his goal, I think, instinctively.

So it'd be neat to see what happens when he finally gets the chance for his revenge, and how everything will play out.

Sure, he can be a jerk who doesn't show people besides Saitama and the doctor who saved him respect, but to be fair, the dude had some serious trauma.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Help I love Psychos now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Heck, Zombieman is a man-made monster.