Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Sarcophallus posted:

While I figure Garou will definitely be overall weaker than Saitama, I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to trump him in something like speed to make it a more exciting fight.

You are so reading the wrong story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

RatHat posted:

Garou has been built up for around half the duration of the manga, I'm going to firmly plant myself in the, "He's not going to get one-punched" boat.

He absolutely isn't. He is still not going to be anywhere near Saitama's level. There's too much emotion beyond this, so it'll totally be longer than average. But Saitama is still Saitama.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

That's....weird.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

I don't know, 91 and 90 seem fine on Batoto.

Also congrats ONE thread, you are now caught up to the raws. ENJOY THE MASSIVE, MASSIVE WAIT TO SEE THIS FIGHT *FINALLY* WRAPPED UP!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

in the story

I bet Licenseless Rider would consider him a hero. As would Genos, and Bang. And King. And, you know, really anyone that knows him.

quote:

or by the Association?

Who cares what they think, they aren't actually heroes. They are official Heroes[tm], but most of them aren't very heroic.

quote:

it's just a hobby for him

'Just' a hobby, as if a hobby isn't the thing you choose to do on your own because it's what makes you happy. What he chooses to do, what makes him happy, is fighting monsters and saving people.

quote:

and even then he's always been half arsed about it.

Because he literally can not be meaningfully engaged by anything around him. He is the strongest being in existence. Not even 'on Earth'. We've had aliens show up, they were *nothing* to him. It's all well and good to spout idealistic bullshit, but he's Superman without the boyscout complex. How many times can you reflexively save the day before it becomes rote? Doesn't mean he stops doing it though.

quote:

Sure he's probably the most powerful character in the superhero history but he's more personally invested in getting discounted food items than saving lives or seeking justice.

Of course he is, that actually requires effort. Saving people and seeking justice, for him, doesn't. And if you doubt he cares about justice, look to the newest chapter. It's not like he doesn't understand that the heroes just got their poo poo packed, he just doesn't see it as an excuse to kill someone after the fight is over. Garou was all hosed up in the head and wanted to save the world in his own way, he went off track, he got his rear end kicked and his eyes opened, it's over. You don't keep punishing him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

kwokkie posted:

I'm guessing the hero association is going to blame Saitama for letting Garou get away and lower his rank.

The entire reason there *are* S class heroes is because the Hero Association is pragmatic enough to realize that it needs ridiculously strong motherfuckers to handle big monsters, no matter how weird or anti-social they are. They tried the popularity bullshit before, and it lead to high ranking weaklings that got wrekced. At the end of the day pretty much nobody that fought Garou can pretend that Saitama isn't really, really strong. And that's all the Hero Association cares about.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

tsob posted:

given that there's really no way that what he did was healthy for any normal person. It worked out for him, but it wouldn't work out for most people

.....the joke is and always has been that his workout routine isn't that big a deal. Yes, even if you do it every single day. We also have a story set during his training period, and he acts exactly the same as he ever has. His 'obsession' was as half-assed as everything about him not his pure heroic spirit. He's the strongest hero because he's the strongest hero. The end.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Basically, Saitama is a clinically depressed sad-sack who is average to mediocre at anything other than fighting.

Nah, he's legitimately a pretty good hero. As in not the guy that kills the monster, but the guy that does the morally correct thing to improve the situation. They flesh that out more in the manga, but it's present even in the ONE version. It's basically the entire point of the last arc. Everyone else just sees a dangerous monster that packed their poo poo, but Saitama knows it's just a confused guy trying to do his best in the only way he knows how.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

So someone asked me for examples of things that have been added in the manga I think actively detract from the story, and beyond "All of it fucks with the pacing" I think one example is the recent fight where Fubuki's crew gets mind-controlled. I think at best it's irrelevant and at worst it dilutes a bit of the conflict between Tatsumaki and Fubuki. Sure her crew is weaker than her and she kind of uses them as a crutch to avoid facing how much stronger her sister is, but Fubuki's crew is doing their best and wants to support her. The entire point is that Tatsumaki has had a lovely life and doesn't really trust others and it's holding her back. Throwing in a scene of Fubuki's crew actively being a detriment to her adds nothing to that conflict, and arguably takes away from it. It plays better as it is. Tsubaki forcing Fubuki to abandon her crew, them supporting her anyway, and a weakened Tsubaki being unable to oppose them. Nice, tight, well delivered. And it's not major, it's not like that entire thing is ruined or something, it's just that if a story does a good job with pacing and story beats the first time it's going to be harder to add things after the fact that improve it. And the longer the new stuff goes on the more likely it is to detract rather than add to what comes after.

Of course ONE updates about once every 6 months when he catches his image reflected off the glasses of a blind man while traveling by train through Nagano or some poo poo [As it should be, don't want him too distracted from MOB], they need to add *something* to keep from getting caught up in a year or two, so I'm not unsympathetic to their dilemma.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 28, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Well I mean Blast is giving out useful advice and saving people, and he was doing the hero thing well before anyone else, so he's probably not a total rear end in a top hat.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

If you get a handful of ONE chapters a year call it a win.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Counter-point: gently caress'em.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

She needs to get white girl drink drunk. poo poo needs some umbrellas, and to possibly be sipped out of a pineapple.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Also Mob Psycho is better.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Jerkface posted:

I really disagree with your take in the other thread. OPM web is a funny gag manga, but the Murata re-draw is the ultimate OPM.

Nah, the art is better but the pacing is dog poo poo. Most of the added material hasn't meaningfully enriched the experience, it's just there. Like the entirety of that martial arts arc, it wasn't funny or interesting. All it did was pad out the time to the cool bits. And this arc, it has too much going on, it robs the emotional intensity. In the web comic it's basically The S-Rank show up, think they have it handled, get dumpstered. Short and to the point. Also the overall focus is tighter because there's less time between appearances of Garou, who hey? Remember him? The guy who is the actual emotional climax of this entire thing?

If you just want to look at pretty pictures, the manga is fine, but I haven't been excited about it in years. Whereas I always go "oooh cool the web comic updated".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Great, you could have that and cut like 30 chapters and lose nothing of value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

I find it amusing I'm seeing Garou more now than in the manga Garou arc.