Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What is that elongated head suppose to mean? I know it is Tornado of Terror girl, but I didn't understand why One drew such a huge head. Is there some joke I am missing?

Think it's just there as a random bit of humor.

Re: Garou

Garou will never be a challenge to Saitama, because no one will ever be a challenge to Saitama. That's kinda the point of the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

I dont think its too much of a stretch to say that the final villain encountered will be a challenge to Saitama, since thats all hes wanted during the entire story. Garou seems to fit that mold, especially since they both became strong the same way.

I think it's more likely there will be someone (Garou?) who's built up to be his match, then he goes down easily like everyone else, and Saitama returns home to check for new sales.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flippinlikebirds posted:

I have no doubt that Garou will get one punched, but I wonder if that will be the end of him. At this point he has had more development than any other character. The guy has had the poo poo kicked out of him so many times that Saitama doing it (again) feels meaningless. Maybe Saitama will break his philosophy by showing him what a real hero is or something.

On the other hand, Garou has become a monster, and so far most (all?) monsters Saitama have faced have been killed.

"You are really one hosed up nutcase."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

He's so happy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Yeah that's apparently how it works, even though Genos was able to jump to S-rank immediately. I guess you enter at a rank and then work up the way NO MATTER WHAT.

That's only how it works for C -> A. S is a special rank that they made specifically to put heroes that are the strongest but who are not motivated to rise through the ranks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I thought all the powerful heroes were basically just monsters that didn't decide to randomly start attacking people? They still have gimmicks based on being so utterly obsessed with something that they've transformed.

Monsters are people who undergo a metamorphosis for w/e reason, massively increasing their power while also putting a hard cap on it. I don't remember if this has been explicitly explained yet or not but it's just a minor setting detail anyway,

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Tatsumaki drops a massive stone block on Saitama. Saitama just lets it break on him and asks why she would do that.

That's pretty much how I picture it happening. The greatest thing about Saitama is how how he just treats all the whacked-out over-dramatic superhero poo poo as childishness.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Can't wait for Saitama to punch the crap out of Tatsumaki.

He's not gonna do that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

tsob posted:

I read the first 5 or 10 chapters and didn't see either. Just a conman running a rather dull kid around the place constantly. Things may pick up later in the story, but I didn't find the opening enjoyable enough to invest in more of it where I pretty much loved One Punch Man from the outset despite not finding it nearly as funny as most people seem to. You like the manga, and that's nice and all, but I didn't really care for anything in it personally and was just offering my opinion so that Shaolin Fuckfiend, Parrotine or whoever has some variety of opinion on it to consider.

That's like chucking an animal carcass into a nice beef stew.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Yeah no Super Saiyan, no Serious Series.

Wait... SS and SS... .

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Parrotine posted:

If he really wants me to read it he'll hire Murata to redraw it

While that would be fantastic, it already looks pretty good. You should read it!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Goons are bad + dumb.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

(from Murata's twitter)

That is honestly one of the moments I'm so excited for in the manga and eventually anime. That panel just cracks me the gently caress up every time I see it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Logikv9 posted:

It's pleasantly cool and warm at the same time, it feels great.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

jwang posted:

I want to say that Blast is the leader of this new Hero Association, simply due to how often he's absent from meetings (or implied to be frequently missing). Chances are he's off setting up this new association when he became disenfranchised by the current system, and now the split is going full swing.

Blase is absent so much because he has a real job and doesn't have as much time for his hero hobby anymore.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fantastic chapter. gently caress whoever translated it for how they translated Okamaitachi's name though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wittgen posted:

You mean, accurately? Okama is not a nice word.

The great thing about translations/localizations is that you can make changes to remove lovely stuff like that. But that's completely beside the point given that it was also the only name they chose to translate, leaving the other two transliterated.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wittgen posted:

I just wouldn't give One a pass for it.

I wouldn't either. Doesn't change the fact that the translator could have done a better job in this regard.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sarcophallus posted:

Don't you think it's a bit problematic to assume Slicing Shemale's gender?

Real talk:

Gender identity joke, good start.

quote:

there's a huge cultural divide here. The issues faced by LGBT folks in Japan are very different from the ones faced in the US. In some ways, they have it better. In others, it's worse.

Japan is not as prone to offense as many of our western friends. Even the ones who you believe should be offended by said thing. This is part of that cultural divide.

There are differences between our cultures. That does not change that treating people lovely is an objectively bad thing and should be brought up. Using slurs is an example of that. Now, I have no idea if the word "okama" is actually a slur in Japan; someone more knowledgable than me would have to pipe in with regards to that. However shemale is a rather lovely term to refer to a trans woman with and there was no reason to translate Okamaitachi's name as such (and would likely be inaccurate, since what ONE seems to be going for with the character is that of a crossdressing dude). It's especially poor considering the other two disciples' names were left merely transliterated.

quote:

Every single time this is apparent, people come out of the wood work to virtue signal and derail an enjoyable Japanese comics thread for like two pages over some pretty dumb poo poo.

Virtue signaling is rarely an actual thing. About the only situations I actually see it in is usually when people claim others are virtue signaling, much like what you're doing. Getting upset over a slur being used is not an unreasonable reaction.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sarcophallus posted:

Agreed.

Totally agree with regard to bad thing. Obnoxious to bring it up literally every time it happens because it's part of the medium and bringing it up every time has literally no bearing on its presence. Our internet posts won't change Japanese Mangaka. Okama is a slur. Agreed wrt Shemale.

If it's obnoxious to have it brought up to your attention, imagine how it feels when you're part of the group said slur is targeting and can't help but notice it.

It's an unfortunately common aspect of the medium, yes, and that makes it worth discussing. This is the OPM by ONE thread after all, where we discuss things about said comic. Posts praising the comic won't affect it in any way but I don't see you complaining about that, despite this thread likely having a greater amount of "such cool, good chapter" shitposts than any other type of post.

quote:

Goodness knows no one finds my posts virtuous. I agree it's not unreasonable. I'm also not going to tell you not to read Japanese comics even though this clearly upsetting thing to you is present in all of them, because that would also be unreasonable.

My issue is that every time some questionable thing comes up it is an opportunity for forums posters to let others know how cool they are with the gays for two pages before comics discussion resumes.

Are you really complaining about people being not lovely and showing some solidarity? How is that at all a bad thing?

But you're right that it's a derail at this point so I won't continue.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think Tatsu is really that good a person. She's certainly an asset to the world because she's always on the job and very effective at saving people and everything, but she also has a hell of a lot of issues and can be kinda horrible honestly. Not quite a bad person though.

I really like Tatsumaki's character because she has a surprising amount of layers. At first she just appears to be yet another incredibly overconfident and haughty hero. Then we see that not only is it very much deserved, but that she also still takes her job very seriously. And even if it is more out of pride than anything, we see she does care about the welfare of the civilians with that car scene during her fight with Saitama. But then, even if she's a good hero, she's still overall kind of a lovely person due to how she treats Fubuki. All that characterization for someone who is a support character in a primarily comedy manga. ONE is such a good writer.

Moltrey posted:

I think Genos is a legit hero. Yeah he gets his head handed to him all the time and he's repaired just as easily so it's not easy to get that soaring feeling in your heart when he steps up like it does for Mumen Rider and he's only really motivated by revenge so that's not interesting, but man the guy steps the gently caress up and tries all the time. which is way more than can be said for other S Class heroes. I honestly think Genos coulda beaten the Sea King, cause yo he was loving working that dude out, but he just had to be my perfect boy and he took that acid spit for the girl, and helped win the day along side Mumen Rider. He even helped out King and took out that G4 robot that wanted to kill him. I even kinda remember him being able to keep up with Garou but he was part of an ambush with Bang and his brother so whatever.

also the anime made Genos constantly look like the coolest motherfucker ever, genos rules

Genos is literally the typical hero/point of view character that you'd have were this an actual serious fightmans manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I dunno, I feel like it would be more ONE to just have him be a random super strong dude who approaches the hero job oppositely from Saitama.