Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I doubt the manga is over. There's a lot of unanswered questions. We haven't seen the top S ranked hero. Genos has gotten zero resolution to his quest, though there were hints that his opponent is Metal Knight. It's unclear whether the prophecy has been resolved or not.

I mean, it could certainly end soon. If this winds up to a Saitama vs. the Hero Association smackdown, Bang (is that S-1's name?) and Metal Knight could get pulled in and the major stuff could be resolved within a few updates. It seems a bit unlikely to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

"I won't let this little scuffle turn into murder" was pretty hilarious given how many people Garou killed.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

What about Bang's students?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yeah, Saitama is definitely a hero. I don't feel like arguing ethics, though, so how about this. If nothing else, he got his powers in the way every hero in this comic gets their powers. He dedicated himself to a goal and worked hard to get it until he transformed and got super powerful. All the S-rankers, as far as I can tell, are people who became powerful because of incredible devotion to something.

Monsters on the other hand are transformed when they let some part of their life consume them. For example, crab guy succumbs to his lust for crab and so he becomes a crab monster. On the other hand, a guy like pig god devotes himself to being the best goddamn eater ever, and he becomes a hero. Other examples would be the light hobo king succumbing to his laziness, Ugly Fuhrer being consumed by his inferiority complex over his ugliness (contrasts with Pretty Prince devoting himself to being the bishiest dude ever), and the water monster being reduced to his purely reactionary loneliness.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Garou survived more hits than the alien dude. Also, Onepunch-man is a brilliant inversion of basic shounen plot structure. Instead of the protagonist's power jumping every arc, the villain's power jumps every arc.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Wasn't there that amazing gif? It's only a spoiler in the "this kid is powerful and does cool poo poo" sense.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That gif got me pumped to read the comic and only increased my enjoyment.

I think spoiler culture is incredibly dumb, though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Condiv posted:

Here's a little mob psycho gif by one that proves this:

It's a good gif.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Good God allmighty, Pig God is terrifying.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

strange he only got bumped to near the top of A-class when at least a few people who weren't King saw him flip a building over and own Garou.

Politics still matter and Sweet Mask no doubt hates his guts. He didn't exactly make friends with the psychic girl either.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Wow, Tatsumaki is a real piece of poo poo. She thinks Fubuki's friends are holding her back, so she's going to destroy them all now that she feels Fubuki is strong enough not to be heart broken by the loss.

This fight is going to be great.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

"I'm just an acquaintance." :haw:

Aw, Fubuki looked kind of sad at that.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Aw, they just need to hug it out.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Apocron posted:

Sonic! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

No way Saitama doesn't save him effortlessly.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Is it just me, or was Sweet Mask voiced by the same dude who did Tamaki in Ouran High School Host Club?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Ate some ramen with licenceless rider.

Or maybe they grabbed some takoyaki from the retired House of Evolution dudes.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This is beautiful.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Later, Garou notes that a hero is late, but monsters take the initiative. I find it really funny that he then doesn't recognize Saitama as the hero when he shows up late.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Wow, poo poo is going to go down.

Blast is a hero as a hobby, but unlike Saitama, he has a full time job as well. Told Tatsumaki that you can't expect someone to save you when you're in a bind.

Also, there's going to be a new hero organization springing up. They don't think much of the Hero Association, and they're recruiting all kinds, even S ranks like Genos.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Fantastic chapter. gently caress whoever translated it for how they translated Okamaitachi's name though.

You mean, accurately? Okama is not a nice word.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Genocyber posted:

The great thing about translations/localizations is that you can make changes to remove lovely stuff like that. But that's completely beside the point given that it was also the only name they chose to translate, leaving the other two transliterated.

I just wouldn't give One a pass for it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I will never get tired of Saitama destroying bystanders understanding of reality just by punching monsters really hard.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It's definitely a pinch me I'm dreaming thing.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Some people are only in it for the pretty drawings. Story, character, and composition are all very secondary.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

lol the neo heroes are going to get so wrecked. Going after Garou? They don't stand a chance.

Also laughed at, "I'm supposed to get out in three years."

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

More characters drawn in more detail getting hurt more times. More more more, but I think the One version was more affecting. Golden Sperm beating up Tatsumaki was one page, but it was heart wrenching. That chapter just felt gross.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It's more that the hero association is flawed in ways that serve to highlight how Saitama is a real hero and in so doing make a commentary about heroism.

The HA is bureaucratic, political, image obsessed, and self aggrandizing.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

My impression from the webcomic was that Blast got powerful in the same way Saitama did, but from pursuing a hero job rather than a hobby. And the ultimate payoff would be about comparing and contrasting the power of passion with the power of responsibility.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Haha, a time travel resurrection is a great way to continue the gag of how hosed up Genos gets every fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It stands out because the faults of the s class heroes are so much a part of what the comic is saying about heroism. All of them have some kind of pretension about their heroism that undermines, limiting how heroic they can really be. This is dramatized by the limit to their strength in fights.

Darkshine is in it for vanity and so he crumbles when challenged. Handsome Mask is in it for image and so loses when there is too much dissonance between image and action. Genos is in it for a mission that he will sacrifice anything to, so he ends up sacrificing everything for nothing every fight.

Saitama is hero because he just wants to be a hero. Literally a hobby, he only goes around saving people because he loves to do it. It is pure uncompromised heroism and that is reflected in his pure, unrestricted strength.