Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

My guess is that this is ONE wanting a better set up for the ideological chasm that splits the S class in the next arc. Characters like Metal Bat see that despite Garou's lovely actions, he's not actually an evil being, whereas characters like Flashy Flash attempt to immediately assassinate Garou despite the fact that he just saved Bang's life, and attacked three cadres (and killed one).

He's leaning so hard into setting it up one of the consequences was yet another re-write of the Child Emperor fight which hamfisted the conflict into the fight instead of letting it happen when it originally did with Child Emperor just not getting in contact with Bofoy and watching the remaining S-class constantly job. There were already natural justifications for why everyone acts the way they do in the aftermath of the raid yet here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

oh jay posted:

Twitter is a dumpster. Mostly talking about the website overall, but I'm sure this specific person complaining would be boring too if I could read it.

I just use nitter to read through people's tweets since it removes a lot of the jank from the actual website, doesn't require me to login to navigate properly, and also lets me set up RSS feeds for people so I can just skim posts through my reader.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The best part of the Raid's redraws was Zombieman vs Pureblood Vampire and subsequently mercing a room full of monsters. Anything involving Garou has become the worst part of the redraws.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

I typically prefer the SA forums because I usually respect goons' perspectives on art, so its very deflating to see such hostility all the time - the unstated implication being that I'm a stupid loser for liking something that is so obviously flawed and bad.
Even if it is something obviously flawed, what's the problem with still liking it if others don't? But I think Elentor hit the nail on the head I don't think the manga is bad per-se I just stopped caring about what's going on and show up for the art. It's a vastly different arc at this point and for me it's really hard to take Garou seriously when he's such a tsundere in this iteration and also several monsters just trivialize the threat of a lone martial artist

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

One of the things I wonder about is how much our impressions are affected by having to wait (sometimes a long time) for updates to the story .
Release rate isn't really a problem for me since I follow a number of quarterly series and even some manga that only update once a year or are on infrequent hiatuses (looking at you Hunter x Hunter. 3 years later and I'm still hype for jojo on a boat). I like to think that I have a good tolerance this kind of situation. That being said this arc has been going on for like 4 years just for the Monster association itself. Maybe 5 depending on how far back you count things. At this point even my own patience is wearing thin because I'm aware of how much extra is being injected into the plot now and it's not all positive. A number of revisions are also tedious including a couple of changes I'm confident were made retroactively by ONE to fit better into the stuff he added into the Neo Hero arc of his own webcomic such as the 3rd or 4th rewrite of the Child Emperor v Phoenixman fight, and Sweetmask vs Dominatrix. At this point I just want to move on past this arc onto "new" content because reaching the surface had such a different tone any desperation and urgency dried up long ago.

quote:

Curious to know if any of the people who prefer the webcomic think that it's the superior version of anything that happened up to the end of the Boros arc?
The manga for all intents and purposes is 1:1 the webcomic up to the Boros arc and the quality is what sold a lot of people on Murata and ONE teaming up. And with the better visuals and some minor changes and good-but-concise additions I generally think about the manga when I think about everything leading up to Boros. Doubly so because the anime also came out and blew a lot of people's minds with how good the first season was.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

I feel very confident that Fubuki vs Psykos will still happen.

Yeah, but at this point would it matter? Psykos already fused with Orochi and shaved a slice off the planet in a way that trivializes whatever Rampage webcomic awakened Garou planned to enact. I've had my suspicion that if Psykos is going to show up now she's actually going to be weaker than when she even tried to fight Tatsumaki in the manga and we'll think that Fubuki's retaliation is going to be less about her starting to understand how to reach her sister's level and exploiting psychological weaknesses in Psykos, and more about how Tatsumaki softened her up for her sister. Like Tatsumaki loosened the lid on that pesky salsa jar but we're supposed to be impressed that Fubuki opened it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Saitama just rubbing it in that Garou is unintentionally and intentionally just being a good person helping people put a smile on my face. Don't like this diversion from the webcomic events but that was a good moment.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

An alternate reality where villains are heroes and vice versa?

Please no I'm tired of multiverse bullshit in my fiction. gently caress you Marvel :argh:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

Multiverse is mainly a DC creation.

Mostly referring to the current phase for their cinematic universe. I stopped caring about DC's multiverse shenanigans during flashpoint.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This is going to be like when Naruto Talk-no-Jutsu'd Pain except I can't even pretend it's an earned moment.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So this is like the third consecutive time where Garou is actually in a position to do something "evil" but his autonomy is robbed from him so it's not actually him consciously doing the "evil" things. So for the surface part of this raid Garou has probably only done good things by proxy or intent because he's a good boy.

Yeah I get the manga is it's own thing but it's loving boring we didn't get a proper villain in Garou among many other missing moments.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't remember the other parts without agency. Which is perhaps because this arc has been going for 5 years but alas.

I think he might have beaten someone up while unconcious before?

After getting KO'd by Orochi he destroyed PPP and that in turn initiated his fight against Darkshine. Beating up PPP was justified in my mind but after this there's a lot of Tatsumaki vs Psychorochi and then Garou blacks out and like a year of fighting and redraws occurs before he shows back up on the surface to fight Bomb who he counters and defeats, then Bang shows up. Bang fights and has a big flashback to when he was a thug and after this Garou's rock exterior starts to crack. It's not until months later that Bang counter Garou but gets grazed on his sternum in the process which downs the old man and when Acid Fuhrer Ugly shows up to deliver the Coup de Grace Garou finally snaps out of being unconscious and helps King deliver his Wave Motion Canon. Blah blah fight with Platinum Spermatozoon and Flashy Flash happens; Garou is in control here. And other stuff happens. Fighting Bang was the last time Garou lost control and then we have the possession by God that said entity tried against Tatsumaki like 2 years ago by pretending to be Blast except this time it succeeds.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Garou was like animated by his instict during that Bang fight but it's not like he was controlled by an outside force or anything. Like it's a martial artes student surpassing the teacher fight and then turns out while unconcious he was literally reliving his training. His unconcious and concious flow into each other as part of the same arc in that fight. I think it works good.
The point is he didn't choose to fight his mentor in that moment whereas when Bang and Garou last fought, while it wasn't Garou's choice on the location he still chose to fight rather than surrender. I'm not saying the KO fight doesn't work on it's own, but Garou not being an active participant here along with every other moment I listed just works to further distance him from his actual bad actions since during the surface part of the raid he's been otherwise a force of good.

By the way, Garou in the current chapter copies Bangs movements from when the two fought in the park as far as establishing his stance.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
at least I was wrong about Garou losing his agency for the umpteenth time.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

pik_d posted:

Just because he said that doesn't necessarily make it true. It just means he believes it, or is trying to convince himself of it. I'm not sure what I think the truth is yet.

I do fully expect some backdoor shenanigans since Garou still established a connection. But right now at the very least he is or fully believes he is in control and I'll take what I can get.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
They really did drag that joke back from the dead one last time for whichever centipede that existed only to get tile chopped by Garou. I can't even be bothered to remember its' name.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

punting the Portal away is a good gag though

A brief moment of OPM comedy mired in a sea of fireworks that have been popping off for far too long.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Hot take: the current fight is worse at being a spectacle than the Boros fight.

Basically this. Boros vs Saitama in the manga was a fantastic re-draw to the webcomic fight because like the Sea King before it and other moments afterwards it was a fusion of ONE's original story and panelling with Murata's art and just enough extra glitter and crunch to improve upon some aspects in my book. But maybe the addition of the Moon Kick was the writing on the wall for this fight because I can't help but notice that Garou v Saitama is trying to one-up that moment in the worst way possible. It's kind of ludicrous that we're here next to Jupiter with Garou being karate silver surfer flying through portals yet he somehow lost track of orientation during this moon destroying table flip. It isn't really tugging at the heart strings that Genos is in cyborg death limbo because by this point I'm aware that ONE probably hates that character and keeps him around to be humiliated. Blast and his cadre of potentially multiversal guardians shouldn't even be here nor should GOD be making Garou his emissary like he's Galactis.

Even taken on it's own there just so much crammed into this fight that feels like bloat that I honestly would have been happier if this was resolved with the sitdown at the table and Saitama telling Garou off. I also don't like the idea that the guy in a series called "One Punch Man" is apparently actually going as all out as one can do one-handed. And this fight is still happening. I never needed Garou to become a nuclear entity who could actually destroy the world and fight on par with Saitama, I just liked that somewhat scrappy fight junkie who really didn't understand his own motives and goals beyond the television script he'd written in his delusional mind. Even before this I was rolling my eyes at him punching the earth so hard it was raising lost continents on the opposite side of the planet.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Watching this thread has just given the impression that there's nothing the manga could do that would satisfy it at this point.

If you dislike a manga for specific decisions, then it's useful to discuss those decisions and what could have been done differently. But when a manga actually reverses to show the opposite decision, and the complaints continue without even adjusting to note how the new decision changes the tone, then complaining isn't interesting. There's no consideration of what the manga does right. Just a conviction that any decision the manga makes is wrong, even if it means doing an abrupt 180 on previous complaints.

I was 100% on board with the monster association raid up until we got the 3rd redraw of the Child Emperor fight. By then things had escalated into absurdity and I think some retroactive decisions based on developments in the web comic started to really sour the writing. But I stand by the idea that the Demon class expansions were overall fantastic and even some of the introductions for the dragon class combatants.

The manga was still doing things right but it's also feels apparent that there isn't a strong direction to cling to since we've deviated so far from the original. I think what most people wanted was just Saitama to no-sell Garou and be done with it. The fatigue is real.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

This redraw is cringe, I'm moving on to watching the RWBY anime
So how were the first couple episodes? On a scale of this current OPM chapter to 10? I'm honestly interested if we're past a 5.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't think the Time travel was meant to cover anything up. We have years of redraws to show that if ONE or Murata don't like something they will just change it before the volumes drop. But it is still incredibly cheap and lazy drama to just kill everyone, have an epic fight, have Saitama fart his way back to earth, and then undo everything while aping another scene from the webcomic that loses all context and meaning now (Garou delusionally claiming his powers or darkness were leaving him after Saitama cracked his face open)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Okay, but hear me out:

What if there were a fourth giant centipede?

Wouldn't we be on the 5th one now?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Fingers crossed there are no redraws but otherwise I'm glad we're over this hurdle.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

he studied martial arts for a few seconds and became strong enough to manipulate time. I don't see how that would put any sort of limit on his strength

Saitama learned that martial arts is just about moving real cool. Which is why the pinnacle of martial arts is standing completely still and posing so hard you transcend space and time.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Honestly, If ONE and Murata wanted to make a one chapter "episode" of that Sentai show Garou likes I wouldn't complain.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

Agreed! We got some hints of it (or a very similar series) in this bonus chapter: https://cubari.moe/read/gist/OPM/61-5/1/

And King spoke VERY highly of it!

Different shows and honestly the Zoo-Men have less interesting outfits than a more traditional Sentai costume for the Gauranger. Also, the name for that squad is one off from being Gaoranger/Power Rangers Wild Force with similar helmet and suit designs.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah I mostly agree. I do think some of the decisions to soften some of the heroes are for the better. Like it makes sense to not have Amai Mask kill a bunch of people if the webcomic is going to attempt to make him very sympathetic later. But the differences overall do really change the feel of the S class heroes to the point that it's affecting the messaging of the comic. Maybe it's for the better or the worse but we'll have to see.

Though I think the Tatsumaki fight could easily still happen. We still don't know what Tatsu's plan is to keep Psykos away from the organization indefinitely (Tatsu could see death as a mercy). Also if Fubuki does poorly in the fight with the fake esper, that could be a reason for Tatsu to step in and try to force her to quit being a hero. So there are still ways for this to resolve in a similiar way as the webcomic.

See, to me it made sense that Amai would kill a bunch of people because he's such an uncompromising and black and white view of being a hero. He's like Rorschach in that regard, so if some villain is begging to be thrown down an elevator shaft he'll oblige them. Don't forget he killed that caveman way in the beginning of the story and while it's easy to dissociate our earlier ancestor from Homo Sapien, that guy was just a really old human lost in time. Rather than realizing that and at least detaining him he just kills the guy and poses for the masses.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm distracted by her popped collar.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

pik_d posted:

Here's a larger one, maybe too large, but too bad

Webcomic page: http://galaxyheavyblow.web.fc2.com/fc2-imageviewer/?aid=1&iid=103

Having Saitama and Tatsumaki stare at each other horizontally across panel borders just works better here.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Popo posted:

Gonna be a horrible centrist and say I think both work. The stare off of the original is great but the reveal of her MURDER EYES after keeping her face fairly obscured for the previous panels is also pretty dang cool.

I didn't say the manga didn't work. But I think having their gaze be connected works better to show just how annoying Tatsumaki found the sudden contact and how nonplussed Saitama is. It also makes this a quick, nonverbal exchange before Tatsumaki really loses her poo poo.

The current story breaks that up between 3 pages which is fine for it's own thing but you lose that intimacy since Saitama's face isn't fully revealed until you turn the page. The flow of those three panels posted in the comparison causes me to stop on each one as a deliberate action even looking at it multiple times. So it has a different flow but does create anticipation as to how Saitama is actually feeling about all this.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If there's one thing I hope Murata did to influence ONE, is keeping Genos as a non-jobber character because this chapter was good and reviewing the last one I can't say Genos got done dirty either.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tank Top Master just can't catch a break.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Is child emperor ok?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Yep, the other foot is finally dropping on all those cyber suits

skaianDestiny posted:

HOLY poo poo BOROS
:asoiaf:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I want to believe that Metal Knight still isn't working with these guys but he's so shady the association can't help but be made.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

drat how is this the neo heroes plot suddenly so hype after being so boring for so long

I never found this plot boring, but it was painfully obvious they were behind everything and it was just a waiting game for them to finally tip their hand. The massive delays between chapters didn't help with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Eggplant Squire posted:

I dunno. Even if Saitama hasn't been an actively good mentor (since he doesn't want to be one) in the same way that Sonic is now basically S class from wanting to beat Saitama I think Genos has benefited from being around him and trying to improve so he can measure up.

Genos started out very much as big fish in small pond and probably would have just stagnated.

Genos would be dead since he really loved the idea of blowing himself up when his opponent proves too powerful for him. Mosquito Girl would have been the end of Genos' story.