Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Is Garou the personification of Shicchi's worst nightmare? As the story progresses, Shicchi continually becomes more stressed out, and it was Shicchi that accidentally provided Garou with his first couple of victories, after all. Shicchi's madness sort of created Garou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Murata's redraw chapter just came out, and now we finally get to see all the S-Class hero's designs by Murata, which I was really looking forward too. This chapter gives us an inkling of what the sillier panels of Tatsumaki will end up looking like.

And I just have to say, holy gently caress, the king engine is roaring.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Liar posted:

Kind of takes square jaws to the next level.

A jaw befitting of the Earth's strongest man.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

If Saitama and King are drawn in super serious dramatic mode for that scene where King cheeses Saitama out with an infinite in a fighting game I'm probably gonna die laughing.

T-this game is poo poo!! TOTAL poo poo!!!!

King style energy wave ultimate hellfire burst wave-motion cannon is going to blow people's loving minds, I just hope it doesn't get spoiled for the majority of Murata readers.

Matoi Ryuko fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 4, 2013

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

tsob posted:

We've already been given a reasonable explanation why he's so strong, at least from an in universe perspective. He trained obsessively for...was it 2 years, and he became what he was obsessed with: a hero. He's a hero monster because he was obsessed with becoming a hero and pursued it so diligently. This is a universe where people can transform in to crabs if they're obsessed with them, so it makes perfect sense. The difference between Saitama and Crablante is that Saitama never let his obsession control or define him, so when he noticed his obsession had changed him, he backed off and just made it a hobby instead. Even then he was losing his humanity until Genos came along and he started actually connecting with people despite himself.

I know people keep saying that they hope the real reason is never told and they wanted the "100 situps, 100..." joke to always be the explanation but as far as I'm concerned it has already been detailed, the explanation is fine and is just as good a joke as Saitama's internal explanation for it while also simultaneously being a rather neat explanation thematically. I could not ask for more from the manga, because that explanation is basically perfect.

I think the point of this manga is for us to come to the conclusion that it was in fact, NOT the dream god that gave Saitama his powers, and instead, it was simply that Saitama put in the work, and became strong. That, in my opinion, is the moral of the story.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Lamebot posted:

Garou's obsession transformed him into a monster just like crabrante and light pull cord. Saitama's not too different.

It seems to me like all of the bad guys that gained powers, gained them out of desperation and obsession, where as Saitama just seemingly became strong through sheer force of will.

So I guess there are two camps of people here.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

It said that he just wanted to become strong enough to survive in this world, it's like he didn't really formulate a plan and just started working twoards his goal as hard as he could. Did the god of obsession grant him his powers? I don't think he did.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

tsob posted:

Where are you pulling a god of obsession from? Saitama was obsessed with something. You don't work out that hard, that often for that long despite the fact that you're body is, in his own words "in agony and on the verge of breaking" (I think I have that right at least) without being obsessed with something. Whether it was with being strong or being a hero, there was some element of obsession there. And the rules of his universe mean that if you're obsessed with something it changes you to reflect that obsession. There's no god needed, it just happens if you're obsessed enough with something. Which he was and did, becoming bald, for whatever reason. He doesn't need to formulate a plan beyond "do so many situps/pushups/pullups and run so much" for that to be true.

I'm referring to the thing in Homeless Emperor's vision as the god of obsession, also, didn't that thing take Homeless Emperor's powers with it? It's like this god is distributing powers to bad guys and good guys alike. I like to think there's a rather dramatic difference between being obsessed with a goal and devoting yourself to a cause, and that is the difference between Saitama and everyone else in the story; he got his through effort and dedication, not obsession.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

tsob posted:

That's like the one case we know of where that God has given powers though. There's no real reason to assume it's visiting every other character changed by their nature to become something more than human. Garou didn't mention him that I recall off-hand for instance. Nor has Garou lost his powers so far as I know despite losing. Saitama's workout sounds far more like obsession than dedication to me. Dedication appears to just be putting a positive spin on a negative thing, given that there's really no way that what he did was healthy for any normal person. It worked out for him, but it wouldn't work out for most people. The only reason it did appear to work for him was because he just ignored the downsides and kept doing it anyways. Which sounds decidedly obsessive to me.

That fact that afterwards his life took rather of a downward turn on a personal level and that he began to become emotionally numb and distant from humanity would also suggest it wasn't really a good thing on the whole, at least in theory. It's working out, but it's mostly because of Genos, King and the others forcing their way in to Saitama's life and helping balance him than because of anything Saitama himself did.

Undoubtedly we're going to be revisiting this 'god' eventually. Thinking that Saitama got his powers differently from everyone else just sits with me better than the alternate explanations, and hell, I thought that was the point. He tells Garou that his serious heroing is just a hobby, so isn't Saitama himself asserting that obsession isn't what got him his abilities?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Hello thread.

Xarbala finally convinced me to jump aboard the ONE train so I spent the whole evening catching up on the Garou arc.

Wow.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

And now I'm all caught up.

That cliffhanger.

It's not that bad of a cliffhanger.

RareAcumen posted:

And now you can suffer along with us.

Waiting for Saitama's response to Garou's question was much much worse.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

LostRook posted:

Since when is that evil?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Tatsumaki is completely drained of stamina. Fubuki and the Blizzard group are going to win, for sure.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

thanks for the link, friend

Oh you don't have the link? freakin n00b!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

El Burbo posted:

I'm glad Murata drew what happened to Metal Bat, his absence during the Monster Association arc was always weird to me

I blame ONE's weird pacing. Just look at all the other characters that have been introduced and then never heard from again like Engineknight, Metal Knight and Watchdog man.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Saitama is just there to level the playing field, so that the heroes will come to the correct conclusion on their own.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Pretty sure One stated that Saitama never used the money anyways,

What would he need rent money for anyway? Tatsumaki destroyed his home...

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

New chapter out, but it's only two pages so far. Sometimes I wish ONE would wait until the whole chapter is done before he releases it, other times I to appreciate the anticipation that comes from doing it this way.

The rest of the chapter has been completed, does anyone have a link to the translation?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Moltrey posted:

yo gently caress metal knight, gently caress him up genos.

I don't really think Metal Knight has much to do with the cyborg genos is hunting, but still gently caress him up genos.

e: you guys ever think about how silly it is that there are S Class heroes with the names "Metal Bat", "Drive Knight" and "Metal Knight"? The Hero Association is bad at many things, but naming things is not their strongest suit

Remember how they talked about their naming policies early on? It's why saitama is named caped baldy, lol, they're terrible at naming heroes, just terrible.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Jose posted:

tfw when there are 6 new posts itt and no new chapter

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The rest of chapter 108 has been completed, where is the translation?

http://galaxyheavyblow.web.fc2.com/fc2-imageviewer/?aid=1&iid=109

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Thank you, your avatar is really cool, btw.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Saitama's going to give genos what he wants this time.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Genos hasn't learned a drat thing!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I can't believe the entire series has been over the course of two months

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Pig God is actually blast he's just really let himself go.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

lmao

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Atomic is going to miss an attack and break his sword when king accidentally slips while moving backwards.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Haha, King is going to be all "look at the apple. It is cut."

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Turn in your piuy avatar.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Jose posted:

12 new posts. a new chapter finally?

Yeah someone should do something

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I like the foreshadowing for King's Ultimate Hellfire Wave Motion Cannon

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm still as hype now for that as I was the first second I realised we're going to see it Murata'd

Yeah me too. It's basically the reason we have two threads. So that single scene won't get spoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I just want to say that I have been waiting for the royal ripper fight for like 5 years and it was awesome.