Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

PS2 emulation works very well for the most popular games. Unfortunately the Ace Combats are not among those. :shrug:

e:

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Found my copy of 5, and oh my gosh I forgot how much fun it is. :allears:

EDIT: Hm, Infinity really makes me think of persistent online game/MMO. I'm curious to see what's next.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
<<All engines on Kottos 2 destroyed!>>

^ Estovakian civil war?

Blue Rupie
Mar 25, 2013
The teaser is updated again:

<<All engines on Kottos 2 destroyed>>
(The brackets are blue)

In Wikipedia, "Kottos" redirects to an entry "Hekatonkheires".

Wikipedia posted:

Their name derives from the Greek ἑκατόν (hekaton; "hundred") and χείρ (kheir; "hand"), "each of them having a hundred hands and fifty heads" (Bibliotheca). Hesiod's Theogony (624, 639, 714, 734–35) reports that the three Hekatonkheires became the guards of the gates of Tartarus.

Or in Acepedia, the P-1113 Kottos Electronic Warfare Platform in Ace Combat 6

Edit: Wait. The Greek mythology dictates there is three "guards" and there were (according to the wikia) two planes in the actual battle. Where is the third one in the game?

Blue Rupie fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 17, 2013

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
conversation with a friend:

quote:

the lyes united front was backed by osea and emmeria and the eastern faction was backed by yuktobania
they gobbled up all the other factions until there were only those two
then the eastern faction had belkans build the aerial fleet for them
and kicked rear end

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Oh poo poo, Strangereal World War?

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

PunkBoy posted:

Oh poo poo, Strangereal World War?

Estovakia broke into a civil war after the asteroid fall.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Skwerl posted:

Estovakia broke into a civil war after the asteroid fall.

Ah. Huh, so maybe we're getting some kind of prequel of when the asteroids actually fell and the aftermath? Or maybe we're jumping around the timeline, thus "Infinity."

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 17, 2013

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

PunkBoy posted:

Ah. Huh, so maybe we're getting some kind of prequel of when the asteroids actually fell and the aftermath? Or maybe we're jumping around the timeline, thus "Infinity."

It almost sounds like infinity might be dimensions and not time.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Well it's a Japanese title so it could just be Infinity because they think it sounds really cool.

I could honestly take or leave Strangereal, so long as the game itself is fun and engaging. Really, I'd just like to see a longer game with more refined, less scripted versions of the mechanics from Assault Horizon, and I'd be good. I'd also like to see boss fights more like the subs from AC5 than the same flying fortress and Death Star run levels again, because the latter ones don't feel very engaging to me, while stuff like the Scinfaxi and Hrimfaxi fights, or even the naval combat level from AH actually have some sense of danger.

Also I would like helicopters back, because those were hilarious in multiplayer. :v:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I want to hear enemy chatter again. Listening to them losing their poo poo was one of the best parts of the PS2 games. :smith:

HOTDOG
Apr 2, 2013
I couldn't get through ACAH. As a fan of the series since Shattered Skies I thought DFM was such a middle finger to the players who actually had some skill in shaking missiles. Regardless of the setting of the next game I really, really hope they ditch that clusterfuck

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
You guys should totally read ACAH's japanese amazon reviews, its glorious :V

I think upon reading these feedbacks, PA is going full back-padding to traditional AC.

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 17, 2013

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

tooooooo bad posted:

I want to hear enemy chatter again. Listening to them losing their poo poo was one of the best parts of the PS2 games. :smith:

I remember being 13 years old and thinking that the panicked yells of civilians below in various missions as being really affecting :allears:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

razorscooter posted:

Well it's a Japanese title so it could just be Infinity because they think it sounds really cool.

Yeah, don't forget that 'Legacy is CROSS RUMBLE in Japan. (I personally would've preferred that since "Ace Combat: Assault Horizon: Legacy" is a hella' mouthful)

I'm thinking at this point that it's possible that Infinity might be kind of a redo of Northern Wings. (like, as an Ace Combat game instead of a shmup)

EDIT: Or maybe it's just a port of the shmup...which would be dumb.

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 17, 2013

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Skwerl posted:

You guys should totally read ACAH's japanese amazon reviews, its glorious :V

I think upon reading these feedbacks, PA is going full back-padding to traditional AC.

As someone who can't read Japanese and things AH deserves all the poo poo that gets thrown at it, if you could translate or even summarize some of these, I'd be grateful. (Google Translate is okay, but I can't help but feel I'm losing something in the process)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fount of knowledge posted:

As someone who can't read Japanese and things AH deserves all the poo poo that gets thrown at it, if you could translate or even summarize some of these, I'd be grateful. (Google Translate is okay, but I can't help but feel I'm losing something in the process)

"it's poo poo" "it's poo poo" "it's poo poo" probably.

Seriously, I don't know how they released that expecting anyone to respond well to it after the previous entries in the series.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

movax posted:

Seriously, I don't know how they released that expecting anyone to respond well to it after the previous entries in the series.

Honestly. Has there ever been any insight as to why they choose to go this route?

I adore the Ace Combat series and literally could not finish Assault Horizon. Half way though some shameful copter mission, I said "gently caress this" and traded it into Gamestop that day. It was just awful.

Has there been any insight, before or after it's release, as to why they departed from the norm? I hate to think its as silly and shortsighted as "Well, Call of Duty made billions, why can't we?"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

movax posted:

I thought it was fun :saddowns:

Oh sure, I would have preferred gigantic railgun barrels to fly through, space lasers, and jousting with jet planes in addition to having fun playing it but even as an obvious attempt to "appeal to a wider audience" it maintained enough of Ace Combat to satisfy me. I didn't really mind Dog Fight Mode but I do agree it needed to be something more than what it was. I can't really articulate that thought though.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Has there been any insight, before or after it's release, as to why they departed from the norm? I hate to think its as silly and shortsighted as "Well, Call of Duty made billions, why can't we?"

It probably really is that simple. Maybe not directly "Call of Duty" but more along the lines of "people want modern day war with realistic weapons and plot lines involving terrorists and anti-government forces!"

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 17, 2013

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

fount of knowledge posted:

I cant figure out that much either, but there were reviews going "CoD-fication of Ace Combat" more or less.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I think they just really needed some radical departure from what they were doing before, or they would have made another game as absolutely god damned boring as AC6 again.

Sure, Assault Horizon had issues, particularly with the gimmick missions and scripting, but adding aids like DFM for close range dogfighting allowed them to have regular enemies that did more than just slowly fly in straight lines so you could line up missile shots on them, and having an actual writer let them have characters that weren't just there to spout off unlistenable catchphrases and peace monologues.

It was pretty rushed, but I think the changes they tried to make did improve the game, and I think that being able to strike a balance between having that and the elements everyone liked from the older Ace Combats is the way to go for the next one.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

HOTDOG posted:

I couldn't get through ACAH. As a fan of the series since Shattered Skies I thought DFM was such a middle finger to the players who actually had some skill in shaking missiles. Regardless of the setting of the next game I really, really hope they ditch that clusterfuck
The lost art of shaking missiles, aka flying in a tight circle that sometimes becomes an oval

razorscooter posted:

Sure, Assault Horizon had issues, particularly with the gimmick missions and scripting, but adding aids like DFM for close range dogfighting allowed them to have regular enemies that did more than just slowly fly in straight lines so you could line up missile shots on them, and having an actual writer let them have characters that weren't just there to spout off unlistenable catchphrases and peace monologues.
Hey man, those planes sometimes made wide turns as well!

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

They should not have made DFM compulsory against certain enemies (at least, that is what it felt like).

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

DFM would've been 100x better if enemies simply exploded once they took enough damage, instead of somehow gaining infinite health until they were JUST at the right spot for their 2SICK2NASTY death spiral.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
How many of those who played AH also played online? Because that's where DFM really works, imo.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Insert name here posted:

The lost art of shaking missiles, aka flying in a tight circle that sometimes becomes an oval

Hey man, those planes sometimes made wide turns as well!

Those circles got tighter on higher difficulties, come on now

Really, the biggest missed opportunity of Assault Horizon was that the missiles in game weren't all like THE Missile from Behind Enemy Lines. Complete with every Russian character looking like the guy who fires the missile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlEt5CNee-0

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Yeah, also having enemy aces that aren't a bunch of no-body pushovers would be nice too!

I really loved how that in Operation Katina it says that Mobius 1 is as capable as a entire fighter squadron all by himself, makes you feel pretty god-drat awesome.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Wooph posted:

How many of those who played AH also played online? Because that's where DFM really works, imo.
Yeah, DFM when played online owned, as long as there wasn't any massive lag: it had pros and cons, and if you were engaged while you were in the right plane, you could reliably have the chasing plane crash and/or stall, since it wasn't scripted.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
Oh hell yes, a new ace combat AND it's back in the original setting?

poo poo just got strangereal.

tooooooo bad posted:

I really like the effect some of the enemy chatter had on me in AC5, it really worked with the point they were pushing.

"Haha, yeah, nailed that ship! I totally-"

"OH GOD WE'RE TAKING ON WATER, ABANDON SHIP! HELP ME! AAAAAH! :supaburn:"

"...Oh :smith: "

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Just told my dad about the new AC. The games were his first non sport games and me and him have been playing them since 4 came out. We both got really giddy for it.:3:

HOTDOG
Apr 2, 2013

Insert name here posted:

OK, so it wasn't hard, but still I'd take boring circle fights over some stupid on-rails scene any day.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

radintorov posted:

Yeah, DFM when played online owned, as long as there wasn't any massive lag: it had pros and cons, and if you were engaged while you were in the right plane, you could reliably have the chasing plane crash and/or stall, since it wasn't scripted.

Yeah, if anything, Capital Conquest needs to come back. Had so much fun in that mode.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, if anything, Capital Conquest needs to come back. Had so much fun in that mode.

Honestly if ACAH had been in strangereal it woulda been awesome as heck, it still had a lot of fun features that I think should be in future ace combat games.

A tweaked version of DFM where "boss" opponents aren't invincible until the "correct" time would be cool, basically just doing away with the scripting.

Capital Conquest rules, the plane destruction rules, etc.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

radintorov posted:

To be fair most of the non-required DFM in the campaign isn't scripted, only the TGT_LEADs* really lead you through a chase. It's just that the AI, despite Project Aces making it actually somewhat aggressive compared to previous AC games, is still really brain-dead when it comes to countering you so you can just shove your nose up their rear end and not give a poo poo.

*Oddly enough the boss on the second to last mission of the game is almost all unscripted (as far as I can remember the only scripted parts he has is that he auto-counters you after you damage him a certain amount once or twice), which leads to such great moments such as him doing the classic AC AI thing of flying under the ground because gently caress you causing you to fly straight into the water because you're on his rear end in DFM. Incidentally he's totally a way better and more fun boss than the final one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Weissritter posted:

They should not have made DFM compulsory against certain enemies (at least, that is what it felt like).

My biggest issue with DFM is that they made the game over reliant on it, the idea is kinda cool but the game kinda forced you into using it all the time and it its coolness worn off somewhat quickly.
It's kinda like OFF mode in HAWK but here they really really wanted you to use it so they sorta made it compulsory.
Although it can lead to some unintentional hilarity as you're invulnerable at times while using it and suddenly go crashing through say an oil refinery and coming out of that without a scratch.

OrangeSoda posted:

I really like the effect some of the enemy chatter had on me in AC5, it really worked with the point they were pushing.

"Haha, yeah, nailed that ship! I totally-"

"OH GOD WE'RE TAKING ON WATER, ABANDON SHIP! HELP ME! AAAAAH! :supaburn:"

"...Oh :smith: "

The bit I always remember the most is the dialogue during the harbour attack mission.
<<Fire the CIWS!>>
*brrrt*
<<Stop stop! You're firing at the docks!>>
That mission had some of the best flavour dialogue I think.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Man this makes me want to bust out my old ps2 and work my way through 4/5/0, is 6 realy that bad?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

anime and cars posted:

Man this makes me want to bust out my old ps2 and work my way through 4/5/0, is 6 realy that bad?

Only bad I've really heard about 6 was the story.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I like 6 a lot, the final mission is awesome and the game is amazing looking.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

anime and cars posted:

The story is lovely but it looks amazing and the OST is pretty good. It's really a shame they didn't use that engine & models for more AC titles on that console generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
6 is awesome. The larger battles allowed by being on better hardware outweigh pretty much all the downsides in my opinion. Having dozens of allied units fighting on a map instead of like 10 tops in the PS2 games makes it feel so much more like an actual war.

Also it has the most fun unlockable superplane.

• Locked thread