Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Based on the manga by Hiromu Arakawa (Full Metal Alchemist), Silver Spoon is the story of Hachiken Yugo, a city-kid honor-student who attends an agricultural boarding school in a desperate attempt to get away from his family. His life at school soon turns into a never ending nightmare of hard labor, animal slaughter, and a bunch of kids who have put way more thought into the rest of their lives than Hachiken.

The manga is firmly a slice of life kind of thing, but even within that structure Hiromu Arakawa tells a good story. As the initial culture shock wears off, Hachiken makes friends and get in tune with the ups and downs of country life (and also how great fresh food tastes). The supporting cast is fantastic, and learning about what makes them tick drives the story forward. There's a lot of great world detail here as well, which Arakawa based on her life growing up in Hokkaido.

The first episode of the anime is a really solid adaptation. A-1 Pictures doesn't do anything revolutionary, but they pull off some great scenes, and the whole thing is just fun to watch. Definitely pick this up.

It's streaming on Crunchyroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Aki Mikage likes horses.

Ichiro Komaba likes baseball.

Tamako Inada likes making money off of her family's huge industrial farm.

Shinnosuke Aikawa wants to be a veterinarian.

Keiji Tokiwa is bad at math (but good at farming).

devtesla fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 12, 2013

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man, I hope no one goes into this show expecting a hyper-gratutious amount of man candy and comical levels of uncool dancing in the ED.

Anyway, more to the point, the first episode was pretty good! I was worried that a show like this might make for a terrible anime adaptation in the wrong hands, but the staff did a good job of bringing across the very nuts and boltsy depiction of how the school works. Hachiken's neuroses were portrayed pretty well too with maybe the exception being that chicken anus joke felt like it went on forevvvver. But then again, the payoff at the end of the episode was good, so I can't complain too much

Also, it's quite clear that the staff knows what's up, given the fact that they seem to recognize Tamako as the best character :kamina:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This was as perfectly charming as I expected it to be.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, the first episode carried out the sort of charm that makes me enjoy the manga. Glad to see it look so well, and I'm eagerly awaiting the progression of this series~

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

Man, I hope no one goes into this show expecting a hyper-gratutious amount of man candy and comical levels of uncool dancing in the ED.

Anyway, more to the point, the first episode was pretty good! I was worried that a show like this might make for a terrible anime adaptation in the wrong hands, but the staff did a good job of bringing across the very nuts and boltsy depiction of how the school works. Hachiken's neuroses were portrayed pretty well too with maybe the exception being that chicken anus joke felt like it went on forevvvver. But then again, the payoff at the end of the episode was good, so I can't complain too much

Also, it's quite clear that the staff knows what's up, given the fact that they seem to recognize Tamako as the best character :kamina:

stuff about characterisation and storytelling using vague spoilers for the manga: The anus and egg stuff went on at a similar pace in the manga, and it was important that it was shown to be such a big deal for Hachiken because it's also his big turning point in realizing the value of fresh livestock/produce and realizing, along with the labour earlier in the day, what putting in the elbow grease and time and care can get you. That lesson plays a massive role in his later behaviour like the pizza and the bacon and the cheese and all that other stuff. If it weren't for this egg stuff he would never grow to his later food antics, and if it weren't for the pacing of the egg stuff it wouldn't hold the weight it does for him to come to the conclusions he does about food and farming.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thread title's disingenuous; this is way better than swimming anime. I went into this in a bad mood and left without it. So much charm. :3:

The running gag of animals chewing on Hachiken is especially great. :allears:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Corrected threat title to a better one

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Today I was just thinking: "Gee I should start watching anime again."

Well good thing!

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
So far the first episode anime has been everything I'd hoped it would be. It was pretty much a shot for shot recreation of the manga, and is perfect in every way.

This one should be getting the amount of hype that Attack on Titan got, it's the superior work in my opinion.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I knew when the OP started that they would do a great job.

Well, more specifically, the moment in the OP where Hachiken steps in cow poo poo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh hey, I recognise that ED. Also a fantastic thread title, good job Zorak.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

Corrected threat title to a better one

It's pretty great :)

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
This was great and funny. Like the MC, I think farms are pretty gross, and I don't like to think about how food gets to me so all that stuff will probably hit home.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

UP AND ADAM posted:

This was great and funny. Like the MC, I think farms are pretty gross, and I don't like to think about how food gets to me so all that stuff will probably hit home.

You're gonna have a great time here.

In other news, I'm still sad that they censored the chicken's decapitation. Hopefully some of the other scenes later won't get censored.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
It was censored in the manga, too. The manga also contains unblurred depictions of pigs getting butchered that are only slightly tamer, but this is probably the only time we'll actually see an animal killed on-camera.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It might be just me but I think the blurring makes it way funnier, and allows them to get away with a comic amount of blood.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I'm already loving this anime :allears:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I think I'm developing some sort of strange fetish for the act of work making food taste better. :stare:

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
So does the raw egg in steaming rice taste as good as the MC made it out to be? I might wanna try it

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

So does the raw egg in steaming rice taste as good as the MC made it out to be? I might wanna try it
Yes, yes it does. I usually eat it with pork and tomatoes/lettuce/cucumber, but I don't know how it's eaten in Japan. So good. :allears:

Edit: also, with fish sauce added!!

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Make sure the egg is fresh before you do it though. So buy them from a farmers market or something.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

Zettace posted:

Make sure the egg is fresh before you do it though. So buy them from a farmers market or something.

Autumncomet posted:

Yes, yes it does. I usually eat it with pork and tomatoes/lettuce/cucumber, but I don't know how it's eaten in Japan. So good. :allears:

Edit: also, with fish sauce added!!

Yeah, I should try this with fresh eggs. Thanks for the recommendations. This show is pretty rad.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Zettace posted:

Really? That's a shame. I was looking forward to making me a bowl of that egg-rice-soy sauce dish, but I'm a big city girl. I don't think I've seen any fresh eggs at the farmers' markets around here. :negative:

At the moment I'm on the fence about this show. I liked the episode a lot, but watching it gave me the feeling that I should go straight to the manga and come back when I'm finished.

Either way, the story is a breath of fresh air. It doesn't romanticize the rural life the way a lot of writers do, but the love Arakawa must have for Hokkaido really shines through.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Mikl posted:

CHICKEN CHOP

I'm already loving this anime :allears:

I was just on another forum talking about what summer anime people were watching and of course I was enthused about Silver Spoon. Someone replied saying they couldn't get past this part in and claimed they wouldn't be opening it up again.

It's understandable if certain farming aspects make people squeamish, but this says volumes about how separated some are from food production and its source and it made me kind of bitter. I'm taking my farming animes too seriously. :saddowns:

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

I grew up on a farm and the first episode succeeded in making me mildly homesick and nostalgic. And yes, fresh eggs really are as good as they were portrayed there (though ours were duck and goose, not chicken). I am really curious to see how far they go with some of the realities of farm life - the cow patty in the OP is certainly a good start, but farming is really dirty. There's also the issue that the animals can be complete assholes (the calf nutshot is a thing they will regularly try, even before your dad teaches them that sugar and fruit comes from the pockets), so hopefully they milk that for some comedic value.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Viola the Mad posted:

Really? That's a shame. I was looking forward to making me a bowl of that egg-rice-soy sauce dish, but I'm a big city girl. I don't think I've seen any fresh eggs at the farmers' markets around here. :negative:

Check your local health food stores, they might have some. Otherwise there is "safe eggs" being sold now, as noted on this recipe here.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I think I'm developing some sort of strange fetish for the act of work making food taste better. :stare:

Well between this and Ben-To....

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

OWLS! posted:

Well between this and Ben-To....

Getting the last fresh egg is worth beating others to a bloody pulp, so there's that.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

wodin posted:

I grew up on a farm and the first episode succeeded in making me mildly homesick and nostalgic. And yes, fresh eggs really are as good as they were portrayed there (though ours were duck and goose, not chicken). I am really curious to see how far they go with some of the realities of farm life - the cow patty in the OP is certainly a good start, but farming is really dirty. There's also the issue that the animals can be complete assholes (the calf nutshot is a thing they will regularly try, even before your dad teaches them that sugar and fruit comes from the pockets), so hopefully they milk that for some comedic value.

I think you'll like episode 2.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
New episode!

I liked that it wasn't just a misunderstanding on Hachiken's part - the Holstein Club seniors really were that creepy.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode quite a bit more - the comedy worked a bit better for me, and I didn't get quite so much of the creeping sensation that this was aimed at someone significantly younger than me (yes, I get that it's shonen, so that is literally the case, but Episode 1 gave me more of that sensation than shows of its ilk usually do).

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I liked that it wasn't just a misunderstanding on Hachiken's part - the Holstein Club seniors really were that creepy.

They're not creepy though, just enthusiastic about animal husbandry?

Those guys made the episode for me; sometimes it seemed a bit faithful and déja vu-ish, but bits like that made it good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

House Louse posted:

They're not creepy though, just enthusiastic about animal husbandry?

Those guys made the episode for me; sometimes it seemed a bit faithful and déja vu-ish, but bits like that made it good.

Given that even the other (equally enthusiastic) students are creeped out by them, and the "Who needs a human girlfriend?" bit...

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
That was good.

Darth Walrus posted:

New episode!

I didn't get quite so much of the creeping sensation that this was aimed at someone significantly younger than me

The lack of cynicism and pandering and the slow pace make this seem a lot more mature than lots of shows aimed at older people, to me. I don't need the platitudes about hard work and finding your dreams to be instilled as hard as they are though. I like this show a lot so far, but it's making me want to read the manga even more.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Compendium posted:

It's understandable if certain farming aspects make people squeamish, but this says volumes about how separated some are from food production and its source and it made me kind of bitter. I'm taking my farming animes too seriously. :saddowns:

Actually, a huge theme of the show is the value knowing how your food is made.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Bremen posted:

I think you'll like episode 2.

Ahahaha. Yep, this show makes me really goddamned happy. His fear of feeding the horse and the associated gore scenes (animated as bloodily as anything out of Full Metal Alchemist were glorious.

I love the fact that it's not afraid to take a leisurely route to things - they really didn't need to do things like pay off the gag with the five of them walking out of the mist again, or show the little interstitial with him covered in baby chicks. And yeah, the fact that horses are giant poop machines is so regrettably true. Plus, the first ride was every bit an awesome shounen moment.

Show of the season easily. :D

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hope they end every ep with a bath scene :allears:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

The Devil Tesla posted:

Actually, a huge theme of the show is the value knowing how your food is made.

Indeed! I've been following the manga as well so that's why I was even more embittered by the person's response to the first episode since I think that theme is so very important and that this series presents it so well.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Yeah, I'm going to need a gif of the scene where Aikawa tells Hachicken that he's joining the Holstein Club and the resultant reaction to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Given that even the other (equally enthusiastic) students are creeped out by them, and the "Who needs a human girlfriend?" bit...

Animal husbandry :ssh:

• Locked thread