Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

Do you actually see anything for getting that weight in Wistful Wild? I have every other treasure in the game and don't feel like running caves for purples unless it does something besides tick the file over to 100%.

Yes, you get to see the 100% completion cutscene. Level 8 of the Subterranean Complex has three purple candypop buds, farm them there, it doesn't take long at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Something about the Pikmin series really supercharged my 10-year old imagination. I made whole series of comic books, detailed fan-fictions of the world, even an alternate reality-universe where pikmin and bulborbs fought warfare with modern weaponry. I made rudimentary videogames based on these universes in The Games Factory. My parents and I sewed pikmin plush toys, and we bought figurines on Ebay.

I wish I could afford a WiiU right now :negative:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bullfrog posted:

Something about the Pikmin series really supercharged my 10-year old imagination. I made whole series of comic books, detailed fan-fictions of the world, even an alternate reality-universe where pikmin and bulborbs fought warfare with modern weaponry. I made rudimentary videogames based on these universes in The Games Factory. My parents and I sewed pikmin plush toys, and we bought figurines on Ebay.

I did similar things when I played the first Pikmin. I had a notebook that I called my Science Journal, and I wrote stuff down in it based on my experiences with the game. I gave names to all the creatures and imagined what kind of lives they add, and wrote up little stories about their ecology. Then I started doing "real" science experiments in Pikmin too determine all kinds of stupid stuff, such as;

-If different types of Pikmin built bridges faster
-The detection radius of Bulborbs
-If Sheergrubs really did destroy bridges (they totally do, jerks)
-If Blue Pikmin burn faster than Yellow Pikmin :shepface:

Kind of wish I still had it too laugh at my past self. Gosh, I never realized how ridiculously nerdy I was (and still am I guess) about these games.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I got so angry at the Ship's cold, corporate attitude toward the Pikmin and the President's greed that I imagined potential sequels involving Olimar and the Pikmin enacting a glorious people's Revolution against Hocotate Freight.

vv For all of the improvements Pikmin 2 made, I still like the first game's feel the best. Play it. vv

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 20, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

As an owner of the Wii version of Pikmin, should I try to beat it, or just skip straight to Pikmin 2?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They're both good games. I started with 2 and went back to 1 (which is probably better for a first impression since 2 really improved the controls/responsiveness a lot) but you can't go wrong either way.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I did similar things when I played the first Pikmin. I had a notebook that I called my Science Journal, and I wrote stuff down in it based on my experiences with the game. I gave names to all the creatures and imagined what kind of lives they add, and wrote up little stories about their ecology. Then I started doing "real" science experiments in Pikmin too determine all kinds of stupid stuff, such as;

Kind of wish I still had it too laugh at my past self. Gosh, I never realized how ridiculously nerdy I was (and still am I guess) about these games.

I think Pikmin was actually pretty influential in my life. I know that you play DF (seen your lps) and I play DF too. I can see how some of the gameplay elements/imagination sparking power of Pikmin could have contributed to an interest in emergent simulation games.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Lizard Wizard posted:

As an owner of the Wii version of Pikmin, should I try to beat it, or just skip straight to Pikmin 2?

If you're in the US you still have 15 days before 3 comes out, plenty of time to play and beat both!

And if you aren't able to you will die of oxygen poisoning.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So does anyone actually leave their pikmin in the ground and wait for them to flower? The abundance of nectar and the fact that you can upgrade 100 pikmin with a single drop seems to be the game's way of telling you that you shouldn't actually do that. it was always sort of heartbreaking when one pikmin missed out on the nectar feast and you'd have 99 flower pikmin following you with a single leaf pikmin lagging behind :smith:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

So does anyone actually leave their pikmin in the ground and wait for them to flower? The abundance of nectar and the fact that you can upgrade 100 pikmin with a single drop seems to be the game's way of telling you that you shouldn't actually do that. it was always sort of heartbreaking when one pikmin missed out on the nectar feast and you'd have 99 flower pikmin following you with a single leaf pikmin lagging behind :smith:

The only time I bothered with that, I believe, was with the very first Pikmin you get in the tutorial.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The Moon Monster posted:

I always did that as long as I didn't particularly need the Pikmin right then. I would leave them in the ground to ripen while I did other things with my current Pikmin force.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bullfrog posted:

Internet Kraken posted:

I was a little older than you guys when I first played the games (mid highschool I think), but I found them similarly inspirational. I remember doing speed tests by getting one of each possible variation of each Pikmin type and then racing them to see exactly how their speed stacked up. It was pretty obnoxious getting all the bulb Pikmin I wanted but it was worth it too see them all stretched out in a nice little line.

Honestly I think Pikmin 2's Piklopedia was among my main inspirations to go into biology (along with things like a Charles Darwin exhibit in a museum and watching David Attenborough). My ideal Pikmin game would be Olimar leading a purely scientific expedition to the planet to capture living specimens and try to unravel the history of this strange place.

LAY-ZX posted:

The minimum run for Pikmin 2 actually used to be 8, but I just went and looked it up and apparently people have managed to work it down to 7.

...And on that same journey I've just discovered that people have worked Pikmin 1 from 9 days down to 6. What the gently caress? :stonk:

Jesus Christ I remember watching a 9 day speedrun and thinking "Wow, this is what it looks like to have truly mastered a game". I'm going to have to check this out.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 20, 2013

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

E:^^^^^^^^^^^
Here's day 2, you don't need to watch day 1, all you need to know is he flowers the reds and gets the ship part. I highly recommend this speed run for viewing, every day is a nail biter and there's some crazy micromanaging to pay attention to.
e:Here's day 2 from another guy, it's in better quality and has annotations so you can click to the next day.

Lizard Wizard posted:

The only time I bothered with that, I believe, was with the very first Pikmin you get in the tutorial.

That was the only time I did it in Pikmin 1. In Pikmin 2 I did it with some reds on day 1, and did it with all of my purples as long as the sublevel I was on was safe.

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 20, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Regy Rusty posted:

My ideal Pikmin game would be Olimar leading a purely scientific expedition to the planet to capture living specimens and try to unravel the history of this strange place.

That would actually be really cool. After Pikmin 2 had the focus on the treasure collecting aspect a Pikmin game with instead dozens of different enemies to defeat and catalog would be awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MissileWaster posted:

E:^^^^^^^^^^^
Here's day 2, you don't need to watch day 1, all you need to know is he flowers the reds and gets the ship part. I highly recommend this speed run for viewing, every day is a nail biter and there's some crazy micromanaging to pay attention to.

I also found this same guy has done a "Perfect Pikmin" run where he beats it in 6 days with no deaths. Haven't checked it out yet but here it is if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3M8eoR7IaY

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I also found this same guy has done a "Perfect Pikmin" run where he beats it in 6 days with no deaths. Haven't checked it out yet but here it is if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3M8eoR7IaY

Oh, wow, I need to watch this version then. Have you seen the old 9 day 50 Pikmin challenge? That one is pretty interesting too, especially when Candypop buds are introduced to the equation.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

That would actually be really cool. After Pikmin 2 had the focus on the treasure collecting aspect a Pikmin game with instead dozens of different enemies to defeat and catalog would be awesome.

This is the one I watched, it's pretty crazy. No-death speedruns of Pikmin 1 are always great because you can physically feel the paranoia when the Puffstool dies.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question for those who have the japanese version, how's the enemy variation in the game anyway? About the same as 2? Less? ...More?

Wondering if stuff like Gatling Groinks or Careening Digrebugs are still in.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

We already know Bulbears are in the game. Isn't that enough terror for you without adding Gatling Groinks? :gonk:

(Discussion point: what's worse; Gatling Groinks or Bulbears?)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

dijon du jour posted:

We already know Bulbears are in the game. Isn't that enough terror for you without adding Gatling Groinks? :gonk:

I never really had any trouble with Groinks actually v:v:v

Bulbears or the fire bulborbs though (jesus christ the fire ones scare me) are nightmares. I still don't know a good approach other then "poo poo bitter spray everywhere"

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

Easily Bulbears, they have no set pattern and will make a beeline for your pikmin the moment they see you, and their little variants will follow them too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

dijon du jour posted:

Orange bulborbs :v:

(Seriously I just did a playthrough where I didn't use purples except when absolutely necessary and the goddamn orange bulborbs killed more than any other non-boss enemy).

Edit: I just watched the video I posted and it's ridiculous. I don't even understand some parts of it like when he sets them to carry the Geiger Counter and they head right off into the Snagret area. How do they not get eaten?

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 21, 2013

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I went to the preview event today because I could never get into the originals as a kid and wanted to see how it compared. The control scheme seemed a lot more natural to me, but I was limited to only the remote and nunchuk. I'm probably going to buy it now, and I really want to try out the tablet controls. Also the Nintendo rep kept telling people how satisfying it was to watch them drown. :unsmigghh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gatling Groinx are incredibly annoying and look scary, but I don't think they are actually that dangerous alone. I'm pretty sure that despite the devastating appearance of the mortar they launch, it only kills a Pikmin if it hits them dead on. The rest of the Pikmin get knocked back by the explosion but not actually hurt by it.

Bulbears are by far the most obnoxious enemy in the game. I pretty much always use ultra bitter spray on them.

EDIT: Actually I take that back, the snitch bugs and kettle beetles are the most annoying just because they can waste so much of your time.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question for those who have the japanese version, how's the enemy variation in the game anyway? About the same as 2? Less? ...More?

About the same if I remember rightly, but unfortunately I only have Pikmin 1 here and haven't played 2 since about a year after it came out. To be honest, there are very few enemies I have come across which are new, which was the disappointing thing for me. I'm mostly certain that the spiders and odd long haired electrical dog things with freaky mouths are new though. Oh and the loving mosquitos. They each have different ways to dispatch them though and do add a fair bit of variety. You have to use the flying Pikmin strategically, so they aren't just an easy way to collect fruit, which I was originally worried about. You can't always do that anyway as they are dumb and will happily repeatedly flying into a spider's web until they are all dead rather than go around. Oh and there's a fair bit of new aquatic enemies.

Don't wish to overuse spoiler tags but better safe than sorry.

They said that the bosses were tougher in this version but I'm not so sure that's true. It might just be that in previous games I was a bit more worried about losing Pikmin in battle and this time I'm just blitzing enemies with Pikmin and not caring about any ensuing massacre of my stocks. It's quicker that way! I found the latest boss yesterday but it's huge and I haven't actually started battling it yet so no idea if this is a tough one. It looks it..

If anyone wants, I can scan the manual from the game and post it. I don't think it's that exciting but probably better than my "maybe" and "I forget but.." posts.

EDIT:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not seen them as yet, but then there are no cave areas in this game (well, nothing like in Pikmin 2) so that could explain it.

shmee fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 21, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Bulbears aren't that bad. Go fight the Ranging Bloyster and consider other applications for the technique. :science:

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Edit: I just watched the video I posted and it's ridiculous. I don't even understand some parts of it like when he sets them to carry the Geiger Counter and they head right off into the Snagret area. How do they not get eaten?

The Pikmin on the Geiger Counter were all flowers so they could run fast enough, and getting past Snagrets without any dying isn't actually that bad because of the windup the Snagrets need for their attacks. Now the Bulborbs on the other hand, I have no clue how they managed to sneak past all of those without losing any. My guess is luck, he would probably just reset on that part over and over unless they made it through safely.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LAY-ZX posted:

Bulbears aren't that bad. Go fight the Ranging Bloyster and consider other applications for the technique. :science:

Bulbears home in on the captains? I never knew that. I just assumed they would always go straight for your pikmin so I never bothered switching.

I kind of want to play Pikmin 2 without using purple pikmin as much. I always felt 2 was significantly easier than 1 for a lot of reasons. Hit detection seems more forgiving and pikmin are more responsive to your calls. But the main reason is that purples break the game horribly. Not using them would probably make it more interesting.

Maybe I'll use a bunch of whites instead for super fast weak mode :shepface:

shmee posted:

Not seen them as yet, but then there are no cave areas in this game (well, nothing like in Pikmin 2) so that could explain it.

Well there was that Gatling Groinx that spawned above ground in Wistful Wilds. Careening Dirgiebugs were only underground though. I hope they are in though, they were one of my favorite enemies design wise.

EDIT: Hell I think I'll just replay both games.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Bulbears home in on the captains? I never knew that. I just assumed they would always go straight for your pikmin so I never bothered switching.

No, but they will aggro to anything attacking them from behind, so you can apply the same basic principle. Just gotta be quick.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I kind of want to play Pikmin 2 without using purple pikmin as much. I always felt 2 was significantly easier than 1 for a lot of reasons. Hit detection seems more forgiving and pikmin are more responsive to your calls. But the main reason is that purples break the game horribly. Not using them would probably make it more interesting.

It's quite fun. Led to me having a ton more disasters and really kept me on my toes. The Hole of Heroes was particularly horrible and I ended up losing 105 Pikmin during it.

I got to go to the Pikmin 3 demo event today. Thought there might be a crowd but at least at the start I was the only one there which was too bad (guess Pikmin really just can't compete with the more popular games that were at the best buy demos). Anyway this was my first time seeing the Wii U in action and man the game looks gorgeous. My favorite things were the anteater Bulborb who I fed a bunch of my Pikmin to just to see his eating animation and the little vine slides. I can't wait for this game.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Went to try this at a GameStop today, looked all over for a couple hours for the one in Nitro WV. Looked in the town next over and found where it was supposed to be. Turned out the Nintendo rep was only there yesterday (Saturday). I guess she had went to another town today? Either way I was a bit bummed by that. Knew I should've went yesterday but it was more convenient to go today. At least we're only a couple weeks away!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CuddlyZombie posted:

Pikmin and Pikmin 2 both fuckin' rule, but whenever I go back to the latter I always get thrown off for a second by the weird product placement.

It's just so unexpected.

The Japanese version of Pikmin 2 had completely different product placement, right down to giving objects different monetary values and weight limits.

I thought the product placement in general was kind of bullshit but it's Nintendo so people are way more lenient about crap that any other publisher would incur a lifelong vendetta for, so whatever.

Pixeltendo posted:

Beep boop master Alph, I can see that you're pikmin are low in numbers, I advise that you stock up on more for the challenges ahead. There's a 56% chance you can find a pellet around the bend.

According to the Pikmin wiki, Pikmin 3 has full-blown "Do this, attack here" pictograms explaining how to beat every single boss. Euuugh...

Rhinoceraptor posted:

I got so angry at the Ship's cold, corporate attitude toward the Pikmin and the President's greed that I imagined potential sequels involving Olimar and the Pikmin enacting a glorious people's Revolution against Hocotate Freight.

Wasn't this pretty much the bad ending of the first game? The Pikmin rise up and seize the means of production :black101:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Wasn't this pretty much the bad ending of the first game? The Pikmin rise up and seize the means of production :black101:

It was more like the pikmin hauling another corpse off to the onion because that's what they do, why should this one be any different :shepface:

vvvv BUT I HAVE TO GET EVERYTHING!!!! :byodood: Seriously, I'm going to have a really hard time forcing myself not to collect those even though I know I won't want to use them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 22, 2013

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

According to the Pikmin wiki, Pikmin 3 has full-blown "Do this, attack here" pictograms explaining how to beat every single boss. Euuugh...
I'm pretty sure those are optional, you don't have to pick them up unless you really suck or something.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Why are they there at all? It's a video game, if you can't beat the boss you don't get to get past the boss. :argh:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

LAY-ZX posted:

Why are they there at all? It's a video game, if you can't beat the boss you don't get to get past the boss. :argh:

There was some dude in the 3DS thread a while ago crying about how "I BOUGHT THE GAME WHY SHOULD IT TELL ME I CAN'T ADVANCE IF I CAN'T BEAT A THING" in some really bad discussion about the Super Guide in recent Nintendo games. That kinda attitude is way more prevalent these days.

The planet's dyin, LAY-ZX

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pixeltendo posted:

I'm pretty sure those are optional, you don't have to pick them up unless you really suck or something.

Yeah, they're easily distinguishable from regular files so avoiding them isn't an issue.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Unfortunately todays gamers have been spoonfed their games, which is why people can't figure out why metroid can't crawl, or understand how to wall hump in megaman X.

Also printed manuals are basically the way of the dodo now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never plan to use a super guide, but getting upset about them is silly.

Even in the old days, the response to "I can't beat this boss" often included "so buy Nintendo Power" or "use Game Genie" or whatever. The Konami Code is engraved into the memory of a ton of people because Contra was hard enough they used a cheat code on it. Going "back in the day, we played games like men" ignores that a lot of people didn't, it is just that how they got help was different.

Even if Super Guide didn't exist, people would go to Youtube or whatever and look it up. Some people like challenges and other people look in the back of the book to figure out who the murderer was. As long as A doesn't interfere with B then it shouldn't be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I thought the product placement in general was kind of bullshit but it's Nintendo so people are way more lenient about crap that any other publisher would incur a lifelong vendetta for, so whatever.

I've never understood this complaint. I always thought that the product placement added to the game's charm in a significant way. It really emphasized that we were exploring our earth of the future and finding very familiar items that Olimar had no clue what they were. Finding a Vlasic pickle lid feels more real than finding Capn Briney's Crunchy Pickles would have.

But perhaps I am just a willing pawn of our consumption based society.

• Locked thread