Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A few things worth pointing out:

Pikmin 3 has a bunch of different control options, including:
-Wii Remote Plus/Nunchuk (recommended)
-Wii U Gamepad, both with or without the TV
-Wii U Pro Controller

The Gamepad displays a real-time map with unit movement that lets you quick-jump all over the place and do other useful junk; you can use it in conjunction with the other control schemes, or turn it off entirely and have some of the HUD stuff displayed on the TV. You can also use the Gamepad as a sensor bar for the Wiimote, too, I think.

Also, Pikmin 1/2 were both re-released for Wii with Wiimote/Nunchuk controls; these versions are quite cheap and easy to find and are the best way to play both games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fawf posted:

I'm actually really bummed because Bingo Battle seems to be the only mode in Pikmin 3 and it doesn't look nearly as frantic or interesting as the head-to-head battle stuff in 2. It sounds silly because Pikmin is ostensibly a single player focused game but I'm way less excited about the game than I was before.

I imagine all the different co-op modes will break down the scores for each player at the end, so they'll probably end up being competitive in the same manner as NSMB or Four Swords or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo just announced some Pikmin 3-related news:

-Pikmin 3 will be playable at Gamestop stores this weekend; they're also letting you pre-purchase the game, and if you pre-purchase the eShop version you'll be able to download it one day early (August 3)

-NOE is doing a Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 eShop promotion in PAL-land - if you buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop you'll be able to get Wonderful 101 for 30% off! Promotion ends at the end of September.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pikmin 3 is nowhere near as didactic as Skyward Sword. Like, not even close.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

I hope no other game will ever be as didactic as Skyward Sword.

The new Mario & Luigi game is pretty close, unfortunately.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DuFfY posted:

Is there any word as to how many mission mode stages there are? I'm expecting fewer yet larger, intricately designed stages (a la the original game) versus the numerous, procedurally generated stages of Pikmin 2. Combine this with the tighter mechanics of Pikmin 2 and I'll be locked to my couch for months to come. One more week... (Aus goon heh :smuggo:)

There are fifteen mission mode stages - five "collect the fruit" missions, five "enemy battle" missions and five "boss battle" missions - with bronze/silver/gold/platinum rankings to attain. You can play 'em solo or co-op via two-player splitscreen, no idea if the maps/objectives change when playing co-op.

The multiplayer Bingo Mode has 12 stages with three "variations" per stage, which are randomised, I think.

There are online leaderboards for both solo and co-op missions, plus a leaderboard for story mode completion that tracks your clear time, total number of Pikmin, etc.

EDIT: purple/white pikmin show up in mission mode but they're not present in story mode

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've got that preordered, and would like to hear more about this concerning thing.

Whenever the game introduces something new the little Navi-like dude explains it to you and/or makes you do a tutorial; it's often skippable but sometimes isn't, and it extends to things as banal as navigating the menus.

The explanations/tutorials themselves aren't really any worse than what you might see in the beginning of the last couple Mario & Luigi games, it's just that they never loving end. I'm pretty close to the end of the game now and it won't stop talking at me, it's infuriating.

There is an unlockable hard mode, so hopefully it'll let me turn off the talky-talky next time. It's a really good game that would be great if it'd just shut the gently caress up every now and again.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 20, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^I'm guessing he's not fluent in Japanese.

shmee posted:

Or maybe it'll be one of those things where you get to a point and something convenient happens which means you can now loiter around as long as you like.

Something definitely happens. Pikmin 2 fans will like it, that's all I'll say.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pixeltendo posted:

I'm pretty sure those are optional, you don't have to pick them up unless you really suck or something.

Yeah, they're easily distinguishable from regular files so avoiding them isn't an issue.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just ordered the Wii version of Pikmin 2 yesterday, and I have to ask, was I the only one absolutely blindsided by the knowledge that it got an American release? I mean, I heard about it back in '09 when it originally came out in Europe and Japan, and then I look it up and hi guys I'm out in America now!

Definitely not, they slipped it out with no advertising whatsoever. At least it's cheap!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo PAL dudes: apparently GAME UK is sending out the Pikmin 3 eShop codes ahead of time, so if you don't wanna wait you can buy a code from their website and download the game right now!

EDIT: and they're £35, so they're even a little cheaper.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hmm...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wanna say retail downloads go up at EST rather than PST but despite answering this question a jillion times I still mix 'em up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bam!

quote:

Hello! Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo here. As promised, I'm here to tell you how to make use of the special code you've obtained if you've managed to find all ten of the secret data files.
During their latest treasure-hunting adventure, Captain Olimar and his Hocotatian crew recorded a series of secret Expedition Logs, and entering the special code allows you to access them! The secret data files are hidden in various locations.
If you haven't yet found them all, don't give up. Keep on searching!
♦ To view the Expedition Logs, select the blue internet browser symbol below, and enter the special code when prompted. Please note that the Expedition Logs can only be viewed using the Wii U console's internet browser.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/pikpiksecret/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wow, this thread hasn't seen a new post in nearly a month. Buy this game, dorks.

Anyway, there's a free update for the game on the eShop; it adds one extra mission and makes some changes to the global rankings to make them easier to view.

They're also gonna start rolling out DLC missions soon, there's one available right now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Stolen from the Wii U thread:

Pikmin 3 is $40 on Newegg right now, and you can bring it down to $36 using the promo code NAFSM1127 :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16878190291

Also, because I forgot to mention it when it was announced... there's a a new set of 10 missions coming next week, and unlike the previous DLC they include all-new stages, including one set around a giant Christmas tree. There's also a new gimmick that involves liberating Louie from each stage. It'll cost $5 for all the missions, and there'll also be a couple freebies available with the new update, as per usual.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The new DLC is up. Happy holidays, motherfuckers!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pikmin 2 has a lot of strong points - a ton of junk to find, way more enemy creatures than in the other games, Louie, a neat multiplayer mode that noone ever played - but shifting the focus away from the original format and towards those drab, tedious, neverending caves was a big mistake, and I'm glad they course-corrected with Pikmin 3.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Jut letting PAL dudes know that you can buy a digital copy of Pikmin 3 from the Nintendo UK website for 8.95GBP right now:

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/gift-ideas/price/up-to-100.list#ninint_GBP_price%3A[5%20TO%209.99]|sort:price

EDIT: over already?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 14, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bumping this thread to let people know that Nintendo just patched Pikmin 3 to add stylus controls. Haven't tried 'em out yet.

Also, for those who didn't know, there's a Mario Kart 8 promotion going on that'll let you claim a free digital game if you register MK8 with Club Nintendo, and Pikmin 3 is one of the eligible freebies.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The majority of posts in this thread were made before they patched the game with stylus controls, which a lot of people really like, so you might wanna give those a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I didn't bump this thread at the time because I figured it had been archived, but, there's a Pikmin 3 demo on the eShop, it went up a week or two ago.

There are also a bunch of Pikmin CGI movies that you can buy on the Wii U/3DS eShop for about $5, if you really want to.

• Locked thread