Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
My first introduction to Pikmin was when my mom went on a trip and brought the first game back as a present for me. Best mom. :allears:

One of my absolute favorite parts of the second game was reading the mountains of incidental text for everything in the game. From Olimar's log to Louie's recipes to the ship's sales pitches.

The Wicked Wall posted:

Am kind of disappointed that according to the OP, whites and purples aren't in the main campaign but at the same time, I'm kind of relieved; managing your numbers for those Pikmin in 2 was awkward at times and honestly made losing them all the more frustrating when you actually needed them (needing whites for buried treasure comes to mind). It was the one thing I didn't like much in Pikmin 2, and seeing from footage that Rockmin/Flying Pikmin can be produced via capsules etc makes me breathe a sigh of relief.

Don't forget the agony that was grinding for purples. Doomsday Apparatus is the bane of my existance. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Funnily enough, as terrifying as the Water Waith is for most of the cave (and he is loving terrifying, even today), the actual fight with him isn't that bad. :v:
I'm seconding that Man-At-Legs is the hardest boss. I actually had to make several goes at him.

Because we're only apparently collecting food in this game: I hope the game can match the many different kinds of treasures in Pikmin 2 with just fruit. The excitement of finding and collecting all the different treasures was a major part of the game for me.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 13, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Internet Kraken posted:

On one hand I agree with you, a lot about is brilliant. On the other hand having done it multiple times I know that it is absolutely not fun in the slightest. Even once you figure out the dungeon's gimmick, the reality is that you can't get every treasure before the wraith shows up to squash you. So to get all the treasure, you have to visit the dungeon multiple times. That means getting your blue pikmin, hiking all the way across the Perplexing Poool, gathering as much treasure as you can on each floor, and then doing the whole thing over again since you're gonna miss something. It's the part I always did last because I never enjoyed doing it.

You can still get treasures after the Water Wraith shows up on a floor, it's just difficult and very, very harrowing. I've done it, though. You have to learn where the Wraith will and will not go so you know where to hide until it loses interest in you and rolls elsewhere in the level so you can run out and move the treasure as much as you can before he comes back. Also: get the treasure furthest away from the ship first.
It's not the game's fault you had less fun by taking the wussy way out. :smugbert:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Spectacle Rock posted:

How many of you managed to actually take that final bad guy out?

I remember when I fought that guy, I had a foolproof plan. First, I was going to leave my entire army in one of the side pockets in the cave where none of the boss' attacks could reach. Then I would take out all the Yellow Pikmin to take out the boss' electric weapon, because electricity kills non-yellows immediately. Then I would take a group of Purples and wail on the boss after that, because Pikmin are easily saved from poison, water, and fire. Foolproof plan.

Except: it turns out the water attack will sometimes reach the outer pockets of the cave, so I came back with my Yellows to find that every Pikmin except Blues were dead. :negative:

So you know what I did? I beat the boss with nothing but Blues and Yellows. It took forever, but victory was so very sweet.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I think the "playroom" themed floors are my favorite, even though they confuse me greatly.
Like, are they underground rooms? How does that even work? Are the houses buried? :psyduck:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
^^^^^^^^^^
Reading all the item descriptions was pretty much the best part of Pikmin 2. And that's saying a lot, considering how gosh-darn fun the game was.

I was never bothered any by the product placement in Pikmin 2. In fact, in my eyes it's an example of product placement done pretty well. Too often I've seen bad product placement that is extremely jarring and is obviously advertising to you. ("Hey Bob, have you heard of these new Dr. Scholls Inserts? Dr. Scholls Inserts provide all day comfort!" "Wow Ted! I am going to go and buy some Dr. Scholls Inserts at my local pharmacy! Anyway, back to the dead body we were examining...") while the products in Pikmin 2 are just sorta there.
They also help contribute to the meta-narrative that the world you're exploring is Earth.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 15, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Raging Long Legs is more "threatening" than "hard". I'm assuming it was nerfed at some point during development because, sure, it has those massive stompy feet but you'd have to be comatose to lose too many Pikmin to it.

Maybe it was meant to take you by surprise? Because if you aren't expecting it and are standing underneath it when it falls it could easily take out at least 90% of your Pikmin force, if not more.

e: Why did I use gender pronouns to refer to a spider?

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 15, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Jigsaw crab will never fail to creep me out. Why is it featured in every single promotional video? :gonk:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Viewtiful Jew posted:

One thing I've seen complaints about is the optional forced hand-holding. Like the hand-holding is apparently as bad as it is in Skyward Sword, but it's also optional at the same time because it's found in these little chips you don't have to pick up and can walk past. But you'll want to pick some of them up because some actually aren't tutorials but lore entires. But even the secret lore ones are differently colored from the tutorial entries so just...don't pick those up I guess?

How bad are the tutorials on a scale from "text boxes you can quickly tap through" to "unskippable cutscenes"?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

DuFfY posted:

One more week... (Aus goon heh :smuggo:)

Why can't you people wait in line and get your games at the proper time i.e. several months after everyone else. :argh:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

shmee posted:

They are completely optional. There are little yellow chips and if you want to know what (completely irrelevant) information they have (that you already know and have used to get this far in the game) then you have to walk over them. Edit: oh the lore entries. no they are all the same colour. I just don't read them (or try to) as they are in Japanese.

That said, they don't half chat about stuff at the beginning of the game before you start each level. Luckily they shut up pretty quickly (i.e. after a handful of days).

Why on earth are you intentionally depriving yourself of this series' great writing? :psypop:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The Moon Monster posted:

So does anyone actually leave their pikmin in the ground and wait for them to flower? The abundance of nectar and the fact that you can upgrade 100 pikmin with a single drop seems to be the game's way of telling you that you shouldn't actually do that. it was always sort of heartbreaking when one pikmin missed out on the nectar feast and you'd have 99 flower pikmin following you with a single leaf pikmin lagging behind :smith:

I always did that as long as I didn't particularly need the Pikmin right then. I would leave them in the ground to ripen while I did other things with my current Pikmin force.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Regy Rusty posted:

My ideal Pikmin game would be Olimar leading a purely scientific expedition to the planet to capture living specimens and try to unravel the history of this strange place.

That would actually be really cool. After Pikmin 2 had the focus on the treasure collecting aspect a Pikmin game with instead dozens of different enemies to defeat and catalog would be awesome.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wondering if stuff like Gatling Groinks or Careening Digrebugs are still in.

We already know Bulbears are in the game. Isn't that enough terror for you without adding Gatling Groinks? :gonk:

(Discussion point: what's worse; Gatling Groinks or Bulbears?)

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

njsykora posted:

Good news! It was outsold in the UK its first week by the physical release of Minecraft! :suicide:

That doesn't mean much. Comparing a game's sales to those of Minecraft is like comparing a book's sales to those of the Bible. :v:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not out until tomorrow, but there's one thing I want to know: Does Pikmin 3 still have real world brand name things?

No. There is no treasure at all, only fruit.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I don't think anything will be more satisfying than collecting a bunch of fruit in a day, retrying the day, and then collecting that same fruit in less than half the time.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Just beat the last boss. My final stats: (spoilers, obviously)

http://i.imgur.com/hSKF31I.jpg

I gotta say, that was some MAJOR sequel bait in the final text crawl. I wonder if the secret code has anything to do with another sequel? Man, I hope so. :dance:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 6, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Regy Rusty posted:

If you finish a day without any juice reserves you lose. So if at the end of one day, you drink your last bit of juice, you must collect 1 unit's worth of juice the next day or else it's game over.

If you collect fruit obsessively like I do this will never even come close to happening as you'll quickly build up a nice buffer and can then theoretically spend many days just messing around.

By collecting all the fruit you will have collected enough juice to last you around 100 days total.
Yeah, just because this game imposes a time limit doesn't mean it's a strict time limit. :sweatdrop:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Stuck on my gathering in Tropical Wilds. There's a hanging fruit and a tree stump near the beach. There's this strange brown box thing but I have no idea what it does, and that tree trunk with the fruit in it is over a cliff so I can't throw captains inside.

Near the bugs that throw rocks there should be a little alcove partially obscured by a tree root. From there you should be able to just barely throw your yellow Pikmin onto a bouncy mushroom. That should be enough to get you started. As for the starfruit, one of your types of pikmin should be able to reach it, and it's not yellows. It took me a while to get that one, too.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

njsykora posted:

I think it's meant to be that Pikmin 2+3 are taking place pretty much simultaniously, but that runs the risk of creating a Pikmin timeline and no-one wants to start that.

Events in this game that I'm assuming you haven't seen yet make it clear that that is definitely not the case.

e: So I went back to my completed save file to see how many files I'd collected and I'm only missing two indigenous life files. I know that one is in the final boss arena, but the other one could be anywhere. :negative:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 6, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here is a guide to the locations of the secret files, if you need any help finding them.

Would someone mind posting the enemies that have indigenous life files? If I know which one I'm missing I should be able to figure out where it is.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 6, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Thanks! I seem to be missing... pellet posy.

Well that doesn't narrow down my search area by much. :sweatdrop: I'm guessing it'll be in one of the early areas. I guess I'll start by looking in tropical wilds where you first wake up.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Snix posted:

I don't have a Wii U yet, so I'm unable to play this game, but a buddy of mine is and is telling me what the premise of the game is, and it sounds pretty loving crazy. Is he close? At all?

He says that Pikmin 3 takes place in a split timeline where Olimar never escaped Earth in Pikmin 1, and has likely died there. However, it's possible that he's alive and somehow used a force to bring Alph's ship to Earth.

Try not to use too bad of spoilers, since I do intend to play this.

I can tell from this that your friend has 1) only reached the first boss so far and 2) is a champion of reading too much into things.

e: Actually, I've got my file order mixed up so he's probably not even that far. The file that hints that Olimar might be dead is, like, the first file you get in the game. And things happen that confirm this is not the case less than a few in game days later. :psyduck:

VVVVVVVVV
Can do. Sorry.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 6, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Ok I need a little help here I just beat the big evil stump swamp creature in Twilight River. However I can't get anything the boss dropped (Including Lou) back to my ship cause I haven't been able to find the last pieces for the blue bridge. What am I missing here?

If you missed any pieces it's most likely the ones you have to dig out of the hole near the entrance to the boss arena.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

MissileWaster posted:

I've gotten all 5 Treasure platinums, haven't gone into the battle ones yet. What are the conditions for getting platinums on the boss fights? I'm really hoping it doesn't have to do with number of Pikmin lost.

Pretty sure pikmin lost as well as time taken factors into your score for bosses.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Vinchenz posted:

Did you manage to find it? Its also my last note and I can't for the life of me seem to find it. :|

Nope. Having a tiny-rear end TV is not very conducive to finding small hidden objects. :negative:

If anyone else can help it would be much appreciated.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Any tips on how to beat those spiders in the webs?

Rock Pikmin kill them lickedy-split.
And if the spider is too high for you to hit with Rocks, throw a Pikmin into a lower part of the web to lure the spider down. Don't worry, a steady stream of Rock Pikmin will take out the spider before it can eat anyone. :)

In other news, I found the Pellet Posy File! It's in The Distant Tundra. Right beside the landing area to the right of the bridge are three Pellet Posies on a cliff. If you kill the right most one it will spit out the data file. That's a mean hiding place Nintendo.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Everyone do themselves a favor and use the camera function to get a more close-up view of the game world right now.

I mean look at the textures on this Candypop Bud. LOOK AT THEM. That is gorgeous and almost completely going to waste because you mostly see things from a bird's-eye view. :(

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Accursed Walrus posted:

Man, the secret file video was kinda neat.

But what bothers me is that my web page was titled "[a bunch of japanese characters] 3", which makes me wonder if the video varies by console as well.

Maybe we should all share what video we got? Mine was Olimar at the river. He talked about a bug in his file software that caused him to drop files everywhere. It also showed what suspiciously looked like gameplay footage of playing as Louie.

VVVVVVVVVV
I dunno. That's what we're trying to find out.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 8, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Internet Kraken posted:

So I just got in this game and I'm feeling a bit disappointed, which is shocking since I'd been looking forward to this for years. I can't get over the controls, which feel aggressively terrible. Aiming feels really weird due to movement and cursor control beind tied to the same stick. I don't like this lock on feature and want to just move freely, but it feels like you have to use it. Furthermore, the lack of a C stick is killing me. Pikmin feel terribly slow and sluggish. I fought the first boss and lost like half my army because despite knowing exactly how to beat it, I had no way to get my Pikmin to move away from it's charge and they would just get caught on his mouth and die. Am I missing something? I'm using the gamepad, maybe the Wii controller handles better,

Also, as far as I can tell there is only one save file, so my brother can't play the story mode until I clear it. That's just ridiculous.

Why are you not using the Wiimote and nunchuck control scheme? It was implemented precisely for people who didn't like movement and cursor movement being tied to the same stick, which is how it controlled in the Gamecube Pikmin titles, fyi.

Also, the dodging with c-stick has been effectively replaced with a dodge roll move done by pressing left or right on the d-pad if you are using the Wiimote configuration, which you should be using.

e: Also, I just looked it up, and save files are tied to the user, so if your brother wants his own save file all he has to do is create a new user account on the Wii-U and log in using it and when he opens up Pikmin 3, tah dah, a save game all to himself.

Yay, problems solved!

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 8, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Accursed Walrus posted:

Unless I'm horribly messing this up, mine is actually different. Olimar is at a river and talks about him stumbling across a key and wondering what it could be for. Then it cuts to the "gameplay footage" with Louie and then Olimar says something about watching out for the crabs. Mine was titled "Olimar's Expedition Log - In the Wilds -" if that helps.

Oh yeah, yours is definitely different from mine. So far the only common theme is that "gameplay" footage of Louie.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Behonkiss posted:

Does anyone know what to do with this basket and how to reach it? I've tried tossing some yellow Pikmin up there, but they seem to ignore it.

Also, where do you find blue and flying Pikmin? I'm on my 18th day and haven't seen a single sign of them.

:ssh: That's not a basket, that's a pressure plate.

Also, you'll get Pinks and Blues when you get them. They're impossible to miss.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Just fruit.
100% memos is more of a personal victory than anything.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

WaffleStomp posted:

I've never played Pikman 1 or 2, but I'm starved for some Nintendo titles on my U. Many of the reviews I've read say that the chuck and wiimote should be used, but I only have a the U gamepad. Would I be wasting money buy picking this up, or is the game perfectly playable with the gamepad?

It depends on what you mean by "playable". The way the gamepad controls is that the left analog stick controls character movement and cursor movement at the same time. It's perfectly passable, (in fact, it's how the original GameCube Pikmins controlled) although the wiimote configuration is vastly superior.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Overall the difficulty is a pretty gentle curve, with the exception of the last level, which has a noticeable spike. Without revealing too much, this spike comes a lot from the final level suddenly putting you under a set of rules and constraints that you have never encountered before in the game. Once you take a couple of in-game days to get used to them, though, they aren't too bad (just very stressful).

Anyway, apparently some new DLC has been released recently? I won't be near my Wii-U for a couple weeks but has anyone played it yet? It it worth buying?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I never really had problems with throwing Pikmin on that boss but if you want a different strategy I believe you can throw Pikmin carrying bomb rocks into the sink-hole the boss creates sometimes to damage it.
The only downside is having to live with the memory of those Pikmin you intentionally sacrificed for your own selfish gain as you lie awake at night wondering: "Who's the real monster?"

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The Born Approx. posted:

Oh, I've been playing with the game pad. I didn't even know you could swarm...

Oh yeah, that'd be your problem. Always use the Wiimote/nunchaku control scheme if you can. I cannot stress how infinitely superior it is to using the Gamepad.

• Locked thread